• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonkeis

Read that it's a tactic to make people pick good characters. If you pick bad ones then they can't pick it and will play characters to carry your bad pick. Then you just change to what you were going to pick anyway.

That's hilarious...tempted to try that.

I've started to avoid playing comp on weekends and peak times when the kids get home and I've stopped losing as much.

So yeah, try to avoid the kids.

Animator

If you lose two games in a row just take a break for an hour or more, that will increase your win rate significantly. Once you are on a lose streak it only gets worse and more frustrating.

Took a break, came back, dominated a game of KotH as Zen. Cool.

Second game, also as Zen, we take the first point of Numbani inside thirty seconds. Then someone on the other team quits to cancel the game. Okay.

Third game, I go Zen, it goes badly, we lose Volskaya in no time at all, and someone then takes my Zen pick on offense. I go Zarya instead, finish with five medals (silver elims, gold obj. elims, gold obj. time, gold damage, bronze healing), and yet we somehow can't take the second point despite my more or less standing on it for two straight minutes. I had 20+ high-energy kills in one half of the match. Nothing.

Taking another break now.

Owzers

Name change went through, now I am one with my psn name and I can't pretend i wasn't Owzers the next time i charge off a cliff and talk about the game here.

Yeah, I see no problem here.
This will lead to more people throwing games, screwing five other people every time, just so they can cheese there way to rank 5000 for the 300 CP reward. And, they're probably not good enough to be rank 5000, so they'll be put up against far better players and will continue to throw games without trying.

It's a problem.

Skii

I just love it when I'm grouped up with 3 players under rank 20 against a team of rank 100+ players with a 3 stack and a 2 stack. Blizzard's matchmaking is on point. I don't know if I should be concerned that my MMR is close to players that are just benefiting from the free weekend.

At least my Genji is getting a bit better again? :/

People REALLY REALLY REALLY need to ignore the rank symbols. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat, whatever. Those things just show what highest rank the player achieved and not their actual SR.

A person can have diamond and have an SR that places them in gold matches because they got carried to diamond and is closer to gold in skill due to losing a million games. The team SR average is a far better indicator.

Skii

People REALLY REALLY REALLY need to ignore the rank symbols. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat, whatever. Those things just show what highest rank the player achieved and not their actual SR.

A person can have diamond and have an SR that places them in gold matches because they got carried to diamond and is closer to gold in skill due to losing a million games. The team SR average is a far better indicator.

And the worst part is, you'll go into the game mentally prepared to lose because you think you're at a disadvantage and will definitely perform worse as a result.

Alucrid

Banned

not to mention that once you hit the next rank up to and including diamond you won't ever lose that

Regardles. If the two teams have a SR rating difference of 10 points the match should be even, right? No. Not this weekend at least

I placed at 2121. Then, after losing the first match post placements, I won 10 games in a row, bringing my season high to 2620. Currently I am at 2327.

Alucrid

Banned
Regardles. If the two teams have a SR rating difference of 10 points the match should be even, right? No. Not this weekend at least

not really. even if you're all equally skilled your comp might have been bad or the other team had better team fights. people get too wrapped up in the numbers.

zoukka

And the worst part is, you'll go into the game mentally prepared to lose because you think you're at a disadvantage and will definitely perform worse as a result.

Meh I've never been swayed by levels or rank. Once the match begins you quickly see who is a good player on either team and who got lucky in placement matches.

KiraFA37

11 SR away from platinum, I forsee a string of bad teammates and losses coming up.

nFvDgAU.jpg

Well one loss and three great matches later I'm now platinum, now I can finally have some fun and go attack bastion in comp.
No not really but I'm going to try something else except Zenyatta now.

patchday

Read that it's a tactic to make people pick good characters. If you pick bad ones then they can't pick it and will play characters to carry your bad pick. Then you just change to what you were going to pick anyway.

lol!!!!! I dont blame him Symmetra is not as good on some maps

ZangBa

I'm starting to feel like you can really carry games by picking Reinhardt and doing what you are supposed to, on any game mode - at least for my SR. I'm fed up with the bad ones, or just not having a Reinhardt for attack feels so bad. I mean, obviously, I'm no pro, but these guys that charge 50 meters, or just like to stand in one spot and not move forward, come on.

Has Blizzard ever given a reason for there being no text chat for consoles? I can't fathom this omission.

I'm starting to feel like you can really carry games by picking Reinhardt and doing what you are supposed to, on any game mode - at least for my SR. I'm fed up with the bad ones, or just not having a Reinhardt for attack feels so bad. I mean, obviously, I'm no pro, but these guys that charge 50 meters, or just like to stand in one spot and not move forward, come on.

Has Blizzard ever given a reason for there being no text chat for consoles? I can't fathom this omission.

Being able to play the classes the average joe avoids and play them well can actually get you out of ELO hell quite easily. A good tank/support can better help good DPS's than a bad one so it's generally a force multiplier.

Sure everyone wants to be the hero that kills all, but even in pro games, people forget there's always the pocket healers helping said DPS player.

Because I would guess it would be very hard to type shit on console in the middle of a game?

Azoor

Typing isn't as easy on consoles as it is on PC.

xaosslug

best advice someone gave me wrt dodging/survivability is go side-to-side instead of only jumping up and down, because when jumping you are basically occupying the same space and are still within target, but moving side-to-side forces your opponent to track/aim at you.

amazing. @__@

Because I would guess it would be very hard to type shit on console in the middle of a game?

would still be nice to have the option, tho... plus doesn't MS and Sony have little keypads you can connect to the controller?

Tovarisc

best advice someone gave me wrt dodging/survivability is go side-to-side instead of only jumping up and down, because when jumping you are basically occupying the same space and are still within target, but moving side-to-side forces your opponent to track/aim at you.

amazing. @__@

ADAD until victory ;b Advanced tactics are add extra A and D here and there.

amazing. @__@

If you're walking forward and just jumping up and down, head shots just become foot shots or body shots. You aren't actually changing your position based on the enemys weapon line of sight.

When you go side to side you are now actively forcing the enemy to adjust the aim. Now if you go side to side with jumping you're now making it harder for the enemy to land not just hits but also headshots. Now if you break the rhythm and switch between jumping left/right or moving left/right you make it even harder for the enemy to get a read on your movement.

Maximizing evasion is something I learned from playing Lucio alot lol. Helps survivability by miles.

edit: Also going forward/backwards a various times also affect the engagement. The game is 3d. So all 3 directions should be considered in evasion. Even random stops can throw the opponent off at times if you're good enough.

xaosslug

ADAD until victory ;b Advanced tactics are add extra A and D here and there.

lmao, I live so much longer as Reaper/Zenny, now! LOL It's also easier for ME to target not having to jump around.

If you're walking forward and just jumping up and down, head shots just become foot shots or body shots. You aren't actually changing your position based on the enemys weapon line of sight.

When you go side to side you are now actively forcing the enemy to adjust the aim. Now if you go side to side with jumping you're now making it harder for the enemy to land not just hits but also headshots. Now if you break the rhythm and switch between jumping left/right or moving left/right you make it even harder for the enemy to get a read on your movement.

Maximizing evasion is something I learned from playing Lucio alot lol. Helps survivability by miles.

YES! It was such a 'duh... aha!' moment for me.
8zsq5EB.gif

Greddleok

Surely jumping AND moving side to side is the best?

Side to side means they have to track you, up and down means they can't reliably pull of headshots.

DevilDog

This will lead to more people throwing games, screwing five other people every time, just so they can cheese there way to rank 5000 for the 300 CP reward. And, they're probably not good enough to be rank 5000, so they'll be put up against far better players and will continue to throw games without trying.

It's a problem.

I should have put my /s on but I thought it was obvious.

Surely jumping AND moving side to side is the best?

Side to side means they have to track you, up and down means they can't reliably pull of headshots.

Jumping + moving side to side + changing the pattern is the best.

Makes you hard to hit, hard to get headshot, hard to predict movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom