• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You fucker, you jinxed me. We had one and lost. We then had a useless Mercy on Ilios so so at the 2-2 final round I went Zen, maintained my 4 golds, and then shouted at everyone to get their butts in gear.
UGH.

2422 currently.

Don't blame me man.

It's intrinsic to the fabric of this world. Attack torbs are all part of the balancing act of the universe's karmic system.

Skii

I was in the brawl and I picked Genji to combo with my Zarya to try and get the stupid quad trophy.

It took her 7 minutes to get her first ult. LMAO

We still won, but that was kind of hilarious. If only that trophy hadn't glitched out on me when I was actually able to get it.

I'm glad I got that trophy when I did. I can barely get 2 kills now with dragon blade at the moment lol.

Antiwhippy

Meanwhile in tournaments you still see genjis getting team wipes even with the lessened dragonblade time.

Just need to know when to use it I think. Which is harder in pubs because people rarely move in for team fights.

Meanwhile in tournaments you still see genjis getting team wipes even with the lessened dragonblade time.

Just need to know when to use it I think. Which is harder in pubs because people rarely move in for team fights.
Well, I mean....they are far better than us :p

But I agree, team positioning is really important for Genjis ult. If your team doesn't go all in, you have to try and kill everyone yourself, which usually doesn't go well. Plus, your team being in there can work as a distraction, giving you a tad bit more freedom.

aeolist

Banned
Well, I mean....they are far better than us :p

But I agree, team positioning is really important for Genjis ult. If your team doesn't go all in, you have to try and kill everyone yourself, which usually doesn't go well. Plus, your team being in there can work as a distraction, giving you a tad bit more freedom.

not following up on big ults and healers being efficient + staying alive are the biggest differences i see between high level players and my bracket

like i'll get 4 with rein ult and every person on my team is too busy failing to kill a single flanking genji to do anything about it

DevilDog

I really hope they rework how Zarya ult works. I don't like that she has no indication that it is coming up, no time to react to get away from her/deflect/absorb, don't like it has such a huge radius and it lasts for such a long time.

I dont like how is stuns everyone in it, I don't like anything about it. It's too strong and leaves everyone powerless unless there is an ult to counter it.

I also don't like that huge red thing in the middle that makes it so you can't see where you're shooting.

Generally, every ultimate in the game should have an activation period I feel like. Or a way to know its coming. Make it possible to outplay it. I feel it will be so much more rewarding.

Antiwhippy

Make it like mei's where she calls it out before she throws it out instead of when she throws it out.

But yeah, it's the strongest ult in the game for a reason.

ISOM

I really hope they rework how Zarya ult works. I don't like that she has no indication that it is coming up, no time to react to get away from her/deflect/absorb, don't like it has such a huge radius and it lasts for such a long time.

I dont like how is stuns everyone in it, I don't like anything about it. It's too strong and leaves everyone powerless unless there is an ult to counter it.

I also don't like that huge red thing in the middle that makes it so you can't see where you're shooting.

Generally, every ultimate in the game should have an activation period I feel like. Or a way to know its coming. Make it possible to outplay it. I feel it will be so much more rewarding.

You can outplay Zarya's ult by using Lucio or Zen's ult to counter it. It's basically a team wipe ult like Genji's where you need to counter it in conjunction with a healer so it doesn't wipe your team.

aeolist

Banned

keeping track of where the enemy ults are at is part of the game, if you haven't seen her throw it out for a while or she's just absorbed a ton of damage and gotten some multi-kills then you know it's coming.

also it doesn't stun and several characters have reliable escapes from it, plus dva can eat it and shields basically nullify it.

it's really good but not OP. it's supposed to be a good setup for other ults to combo with so giving it a startup time would nullify that completely. way too big of a nerf.

Antiwhippy

keeping track of where the enemy ults are at is part of the game, if you haven't seen her throw it out for a while or she's just absorbed a ton of damage and gotten some multi-kills then you know it's coming.

also it doesn't stun and several characters have reliable escapes from it, plus dva can eat it and shields basically nullify it.

it's really good but not OP. it's supposed to be a good setup for other ults to combo with so giving it a startup time would nullify that completely. way too big of a nerf.

Have you seen tournaments where team fights basically get decided by who can land zarya's ult the best?

Also most of the time trans and sound barrier might not be up because any good team will use it to gain the upper hand in a team fight. Also just drawing them out is a huge boon for the upcoming team fight.

It's a really pretty strong ult. One of the best, if not the best, offensive ults in the game. Support ults are maybe better but those are some of the best ults as well.

aeolist

Banned
Have you seen tournaments where team fights basically get decided by who can land zarya's ult the best?

Also most of the time trans and sound barrier might not be up because any good team will use it to gain the upper hand in a team fight. Also just drawing them out is a huge boon for the upcoming team fight.

It's a really pretty strong ult. One of the best, if not the best, offensive ults in the game. Support ults are maybe better but those are some of the best ults as well.

i definitely agree that it's strong and i'd even say zarya could use a nerf just because of how incredibly strong she is overall in teamfights, but nerfing the ult is not the way to do it. it requires a lot of skill and teamwork to use well and is one of the most satisfying mechanics in the game. plus it does have several direct counters.

3 things:

1) how many active players or concurrent players are on ps4? Any stats?

2) what's the pickrate like? Im curious who is picked most and least

3) dont you guys think this game should have a MOBA User interface?

Knowing who is alive and who is dead and my team's ultimate status on screen seems so much more intuitive than the COD styled kill feed

Az987

all good things
Anyone need 1 player for a competitive PS4 group? I don't feel like playing luck of the draw with randoms right now.

My PSN is Az986

I know people who only play as one character. And when they have to switch off... its a mess.

I'm currently solo playing Zarya, unless I have to play Zennyata. But I know how to play the whole class at an average level at least.

Also Mei ice wall riding is like the coolest thing ever. It's hilarious seeing people thing they're safe on higher ground and then she just walks right up.

3 things:

1) how many active players or concurrent players are on ps4? Any stats?

2) what's the pickrate like? Im curious who is picked most and least

3) dont you guys think this game should have a MOBA User interface?

Knowing who is alive and who is dead and my team's ultimate status on screen seems so much more intuitive than the COD styled kill feed
1.there aren't any stats, but the player base is fairly large and there are a good portion of us here on GAF.

2. Pretty much the same as PC, but there are more Pharahs because of aiming and such.

3. Eh. The kill feed pretty much tells you who is alive or dead, and the roster board shows who has ults on your team and who doesn't. Don't really think it needs any adjusting.
They really need to tone down friendly hitboxes for Ana. I often can't even shoot through Reinhardt's shield because there's just so little space there.
Tbh, that would just make Ana even harder than she already is. She's easily one of the hardest heroes in the game, and these boxes kind of, sort of, have to be that big.

Although I do agree that you should be able to shoot through full health targets. That would fix the problem you have with Rein.

Guess I've gotten lucky with Competitive Solo queue, as I'm managed to reach a new high in the 2400's. Platinum seems just within grasp, which means it's around the time to run into Hanzo/Widowmaker/Genji autopicks next time I play. Have mostly been alternating between my Zarya main and healing roles, and let me tell you: nothing is more frustrating than watching another player play Zarya badly. Throwing on shields before the enemy even starts shooting. Running headlong into the middle of the enemy ranks like she's a damn Roadhog. Throwing out the ult. when there's not a damn soul around. So miserable to watch.

DevilDog

i definitely agree that it's strong and i'd even say zarya could use a nerf just because of how incredibly strong she is overall in teamfights, but nerfing the ult is not the way to do it. it requires a lot of skill and teamwork to use well and is one of the most satisfying mechanics in the game. plus it does have several direct counters.
It really doesn't. People will usually say I have black hole,a gengu or tracer or whoever will call out their ult status, then its fire at will and tears and death everywhere. You can't see shit because of the huge red thing in the middle, you wobble around and you are immobilized.
You can still keep the teamwork elements in, while adding more skill into the play. If you make it happen then, it would feel a lot more satisfying.

You can outplay Zarya's ult by using Lucio or Zen's ult to counter it. It's basically a team wipe ult like Genji's where you need to counter it in conjunction with a healer so it doesn't wipe your team.
No you don't understand, I already mentioned it is countered by a support ult,usually.
What matters is that the player, without the support being able to outplay it. It's not the same.
A support should come in need when the team fucks up.

And no, a genji ult can be stopped by killing the genji, or just kiting him forever. And if people fuck up, which can happen, then the support should step in.
If we had the same amount of outplay possibility on zarya ult that we have on genji ult i would be happy.

This is a good observation. Completely irrelevant from the point however, which isn't IF zarya has it, but WHEN zarya does it and how you can outplay it.

You don't understand, even losing only 2 people to it is enough to lose you the fight, and even worse, make it so that the enemies wipe your team with delay, which basically delays your counter attack waiting for everyone to respawn.

I think its insane. It's peace to your team if the team is good enough and its not an act of desperation.
Obviously its a set up for other ults, the problem is the setup is way to good and almost unavoidable.

We should always have the option to outplay a scenario, it's what makes the game more satisfying and more competitive.

vaderise

1.there aren't any stats, but the player base is fairly large and there are a good portion of us here on GAF.

2. Pretty much the same as PC, but there are more Pharahs because of aiming and such.

3. Eh. The kill feed pretty much tells you who is alive or dead, and the roster board shows who has ults on your team and who doesn't. Don't really think it needs any adjusting.

Tbh, that would just make Ana even harder than she already is. She's easily one of the hardest heroes in the game, and these boxes kind of, sort of, have to be that big.

Although I do agree that you should be able to shoot through full health targets. That would fix the problem you have with Rein.

1) Preety huge playerbase.
2)More Pharah and Reaper, WAY less Widowmaker (aiming) and Torbjorn (huge nerf on consoles).
3) UI is fine. You get used to it quickliy.

aeolist

Banned
No you don't understand, I already mentioned it is countered by a support ult,usually.
What matters is that the player, without the support being able to outplay it. It's not the same.

And no, a genji ult can be stopped by killing the genji, or just kiting him forever. And if people fuck up, which can happen, then the support should step in.
If we had the same amount of outplay possibility on zarya ult that we have on genji ult i would be happy.

This is a good observation. Completely irrelevant from the point however, which isn't IF zarya has it, but WHEN zarya does it and how you can outplay it.

You don't understand, even losing only 2 people to it is enough to lose you the fight, and even worse, make it so that the enemies wipe your team with delay, which basically delays your counter attack waiting for everyone to respawn.

I think its insane. It's peace to your team if the team is good enough and its not an act of desperation.
Obviously its a set up for other ults, the problem is the setup is way to good and almost unavoidable.

We should always have the option to outplay a scenario, it's what makes the game more satisfying and more competitive.

i pretty fundamentally disagree that every character should be able to outplay and beat any other character, ult status or not. the game is designed around hard counters, of which zarya's ult has several. i also really disagree that landing a good ult is some guaranteed win, landing 2-3 people and killing them quickly isn't always good enough if there's another major teamfight ult coming out from the other side.

if all six get caught and insta-wiped in the zarya ult then they were playing badly to get caught out that badly, and the ult is down for the next fight.

Yessssss

Mei has done me so much better this season.

c0teE3P.gif

All solo queue so far. Got 6-4 in Placement Matches got put in about the 2400 range, so it has taken me about 50 matches to climb up. Now I'm rocking a 42-27 W/L ratio.

Soon I'm going to need to find a team though, not too sure how much higher I can climb going all solo.

You're the inspiration I need. Placed like 23XX, climbed up to 2500, slid a bit. But I WILL make it to diamond.

ISOM

It really doesn't. People will usually say I have black hole,a gengu or tracer or whoever will call out their ult status, then its fire at will and tears and death everywhere. You can't see shit because of the huge red thing in the middle, you wobble around and you are immobilized.
You can still keep the teamwork elements in, while adding more skill into the play. If you make it happen then, it would feel a lot more satisfying.

Why do you think people complain about Genji so much? It's because his ult wipes the team so easily. He's very hard to shut down without a support ult since he just needs a slash or two to take down most of the team. Zarya's ult is probably the best in the game but it's not OP if you consider other ults.

i pretty fundamentally disagree that every character should be able to outplay and beat any other character, ult status or not. the game is designed around hard counters, of which zarya's ult has several. i also really disagree that landing a good ult is some guaranteed win, landing 2-3 people and killing them quickly isn't always good enough if there's another major teamfight ult coming out from the other side.

if all six get caught and insta-wiped in the zarya ult then they were playing badly to get caught out that badly, and the ult is down for the next fight.
Plus, Zaryas ult completely relies on her teammates to help(unless she only sucks in squishies and she has high energy), while most, if not all, other offensive ults can live without teammates, like Tracer, Reaper, Dva, etc.

If you were to nerf something on Zarya(even though I don think she needs a nerf), it wouldn't be her ult.

Antiwhippy

Nobody seriously complains about genji's ult. The 2 seconds isn't even that big of a nerf.

If anything zarya's ult is a big reason why his ult is that strong. Hell, now you can still see him securing team wipes without an ult because right click plus dash is stupid strong when a whole bunch of people are bunched up together like that.

Plus, Zaryas ult completely relies on her teammates to help(unless she only sucks in squishies and she has high energy), while most, if not all, other offensive ults can live without teammates, like Tracer, Reaper, Dva, etc.

If you were to nerf something on Zarya(even though I don think she needs a nerf), it wouldn't be her ult.

All those offensive ults rely on zarya's ult to be actually that devastating and, more importantly, reliable.

Tracer and DVa especially.

Yeah, as somebody who plays a lot of Zarya, there are so many ways to counter her ult. Lucio and Zenyatta ults, Reinhardt shield, D.Va Defense Matrix, Mei Ice Wall. Not to mention that even if I do get lucky and none of those ults are in play, a team wipe is far from guaranteed unless I have a few other teammates at my back to help wear down the enemy. My one PotG where we got a sextuple kill on the enemy team, the kill feed shows that only two of the six were considered "my" kills, and that two of my teammates took most of the damage out of the other four. Zarya's ult. definitely has massive potential to ruin the enemy team's day, but it is by no means a "Hit Q to win the match" button.

Antiwhippy

Hell, yesterday's korean pro streams one of the PotG was just winston holding mouse 1 as he deals damage to the whole team in zarya's graviton surge. While being stuck in a graviton surge funnily enough.

In fact most of the potg are other assault characters securing multi kills thanks to graviton surge.

DevilDog

Hell, yesterday's korean pro streams one of the PotG was just winston holding mouse 1 as he deals damage to the whole team in zarya's graviton surge. While being stuck in a graviton surge funnily enough.

In fact most of the potg are other assault characters securing multi kills thanks to graviton surge.
Sounds hillarious. Can I have a link to that pls?

You're missing the point, I'm not saying we shouldn't have hard counters to characters, I'm saying that we should be able to outplay ultimates especially when they are so easy to use and put the user in no risk at all.
All heroes ULT's can be outplayed from movement/aim/situational awareness except from Zarya's. She will press Q, she doesn't care if you move well, aim well, predict well, you're going to get sucked in.

Why do you think people complain about Genji so much? It's because his ult wipes the team so easily. He's very hard to shut down without a support ult since he just needs a slash or two to take down most of the team. Zarya's ult is probably the best in the game but it's not OP if you consider other ults.
Wipes the team? Maybe he will get 3 kills or even 4 on a completely disorganized team, but try pulling that on diamond and you'll instantly explode. All genji is good for really is drawing out the support ults if he's good so that zarya can do her black hole without any resistance.

Yeah, as somebody who plays a lot of Zarya, there are so many ways to counter her ult. Lucio and Zenyatta ults, Reinhardt shield, D.Va Defense Matrix, Mei Ice Wall. Not to mention that even if I do get lucky and none of those ults are in play, a team wipe is far from guaranteed unless I have a few other teammates at my back to help wear down the enemy. My one PotG where we got a sextuple kill on the enemy team, the kill feed shows that only two of the six were considered "my" kills, and that two of my teammates took most of the damage out of the other four. Zarya's ult. definitely has massive potential to ruin the enemy team's day, but it is by no means a "Hit Q to win the match" button.
Yeah, Dva may be countered by Zarya, but Dva completely counters Zaryas ult.

Not only can she eat the ult, but she can eat any incoming projectiles and forces Zarya to only use her beam, which severely hurts gravitons effectiveness.

ISOM

You're missing the point, I'm not saying we shouldn't have hard counters to characters, I'm saying that we should be able to outplay ultimates especially when they are so easy to use and put the user in no risk at all.
All heroes ULT's can be outplayed from movement/aim/situational awareness except from Zarya's. She will press Q, she doesn't care if you move well, aim well, predict well, you're going to get sucked in.

People have said many times, that there are heroes who can escape it. Why are you ignoring it?

xaosslug

Guess I've gotten lucky with Competitive Solo queue, as I'm managed to reach a new high in the 2400's. Platinum seems just within grasp, which means it's around the time to run into Hanzo/Widowmaker/Genji autopicks next time I play. Have mostly been alternating between my Zarya main and healing roles, and let me tell you: nothing is more frustrating than watching another player play Zarya badly. Throwing on shields before the enemy even starts shooting. Running headlong into the middle of the enemy ranks like she's a damn Roadhog. Throwing out the ult. when there's not a damn soul around. So miserable to watch.

i can't help but smile when I read stories like this; it gives me hope. And then I see 'Zarya' and the tears come. ;P

are you on PS4? We should group up. I need a good Zarya in my lyfeeee!

Antiwhippy

People have said many times, that there are heroes who can escape it. Why are you ignoring it?

Because it's still crazy strong despite that.

Like, people view it as "Oh, 2 or 3 people in our team can escape it so it's not that powerful." No, being able to reliably wipe out more than half the team makes winning any team engage far easier.

That's one of the mistakes I see people make. They save ults for the big glory 4-5 kill while it's far better to use them to take out even 2 key characters to push team fights to your advantage.

You really need to make your point more clear, because you've told people they don't understand or they're missing the point like 4 or 5 times now lol.

Also, situational awareness is exactly what counters Zarya. Also, you seem to be ignoring that a bunch of the cast can either escape it or put up some sort of shield to block some of the damage.

aeolist

Banned

again, that's ignoring the fact that dva, genji, mei, zen, lucio, reaper, mercy, tracer, and winston can escape/invuln/heal to completely negate its effect, rein/winston shield at good health blocks most follow up, it has a long charge time, and zarya basically has to run directly into the middle of an enemy team to get off a good one. also it's not a stun so you can just kill her from inside of it too.

i don't know why you're pretending that it's some all-consuming unbeatable thing that wins every game. most zarya ults do jack shit, it's just that when it's executed well and not countered it's amazing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, Dva may be countered by Zarya, but Dva completely counters Zaryas ult.

Not only can she eat the ult, but she can eat any incoming projectiles and forces Zarya to only use her beam, which severely hurts gravitons effectiveness.

This is definitely true but atleast with Dva you can easily neutralize the mech before you ult since it'll make it way more effective. I try to do the same with Rein shield but that can be tricky, and there's a certain point where just forcing a support ult is a solid trade, as long as a bunch of people don't go all in and ult alongside it.

But maaaaan do I love getting a zarya ult when the other team have no good defense on it, rare as it may be.

I don't really see how Zarya specifically is in a special tier here.

Like you can't do much to avoid Earthshatter a lot of the time and the moment you're knocked down you are SoL unlike when you're in the orb, beyond seeing a Rein and trying to run away which you can do against Zarya too.

Antiwhippy

I don't know why people think "Oh if it's not used with any teamwork it's basically useless" is a good argument IN A TEAM GAME.

ISOM

Because it's still crazy strong despite that.

Like, people view it as "Oh, 2 or 3 people in our team can escape it so it's not that powerful." No, being able to reliably wipe out more than half the team makes winning any team engage far easier.

That's one of the mistakes I see people make. They save ults for the big glory 4-5 kill while it's far better to use them to take out even 2 key characters to push team fights to your advantage.

Well I don't do that. Regardless of the hero I'm playing, I always use my ults opportunistically just to even pick off the other team's healers because it's the small plays that can win you the game.

This is definitely true but atleast with Dva you can easily neutralize the mech before you ult since it'll make it way more effective. I try to do the same with Rein shield but that can be tricky, and there's a certain point where just forcing a support ult is a solid trade, as long as a bunch of people don't go all in and ult alongside it.

But maaaaan do I love getting a zarya ult when the other team have no good defense on it, rare as it may be.
Yeah, most of the time, Dva will have lost her mech afterwards, but at least she saved her team from immediately wiping and giving them a chance to survive. Zarya has to either focus on Dva so she can start grenading, or just has to live with beaming everyone else, which usually won't go as well unless she has 60+ energy.
Zarya Ult is not that powerful. So many ways to mitigate damage or escape.
Yep.

Mei:ice wall
Rein:shield
Winston:shield
Zarya:two shields
Lucio+Zen:their ults
Dva:DM
Roadhog:big enough target to block everything XD

And there are all the characters that can get out. And, generally, there is a very, very high chance of having at least 1 or 2, if not more, of the above characters.

aeolist

Banned
I don't know why people think "Oh if it's not used with any teamwork it's basically useless" is a good argument IN A TEAM GAME.

because that's the reality of solo queuing

i'd say that i get any follow up on maybe 25% of my good rein/zarya ults, not even counting the ones that are only ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom