• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean that's fine and all, and I agree that it's my experience mostly, but it's not really a good way to gauge if something is powerful or not.

That said I do get some follow up more often than not.

DevilDog

People have said many times, that there are heroes who can escape it. Why are you ignoring it?
I said, and i quote:
"You don't understand, even losing only 2 people to it is enough to lose you the fight, and even worse, make it so that the enemies wipe your team with delay, which basically delays your counter attack waiting for everyone to respawn.''

You really need to make your point more clear, because you've told people they don't understand or they're missing the point like 4 or 5 times now lol.

Also, situational awareness is exactly what counters Zarya. Also, you seem to be ignoring that a bunch of the cast can either escape it or put up some sort of shield to block some of the damage.
I always try and clear things up the best I can. But when I say that I want heroes to have outplay capabilities to Zarya's ULT besides resorting to ultimates, and people tell me that I should resort to ultimates, I don't know how else to say it.

I said, and i quote:
"You don't understand, even losing only 2 people to it is enough to lose you the fight, and even worse, make it so that the enemies wipe your team with delay, which basically delays your counter attack waiting for everyone to respawn.''

again, that's ignoring the fact that dva, genji, mei, zen, lucio, reaper, mercy, tracer, and winston can escape/invuln/heal to completely negate its effect, rein/winston shield at good health blocks most follow up, it has a long charge time, and zarya basically has to run directly into the middle of an enemy team to get off a good one. also it's not a stun so you can just kill her from inside of it too.
I said, and i quote:

Also she doesn't have to run in the middle of the fight. Why would she have to run, in the middle? She can just throw it from afar.

i don't know why you're pretending that it's some all-consuming unbeatable thing that wins every game. most zarya ults do jack shit, it's just that when it's executed well and not countered it's amazing.
What a shitty thing to say. I have my own opinion but its just simple a pretense I'm trying to build up because I'm a hypocrite.

aeolist

Banned
I mean that's fine and all, and I agree that it's my experience mostly, but it's not really a good way to gauge if something is powerful or not.

true, but even at the high level that i've seen in tournaments zarya ults aren't so much better as to be unbalanced. better teammates are good at following up on it, better enemies are good at watching for it and countering/dodging/escaping.

aeolist

Banned
I always try and clear things up the best I can. But when I say that I want heroes to have outplay capabilities to Zarya's ULT besides resorting to ultimates, and people tell me that I should resort to ultimates, I don't know how else to say it.

I said, and i quote:

I didn't ignore the fact, I analyzed it over so many posts above, I won't repeat it again.
Also she doesn't have to run in the middle of the fight. Why would she have to run, in the middle? She can just throw it from afar.

What a shitty thing to say. I have my own opinion but its just simple a pretense I'm trying to build up because I'm a hypocrite.

every one of your posts so far has amounted to "i am getting outplayed and don't like it"

it's beatable dude, if you're losing to it right now get better and work past that

I mean, you act like every Zarya ult is easy to land. There is only two ways for, really any ult, to work:

1. Really, really, good timing and placement on the players part. Even having one dead teammate can make the difference between a failed ult and a successful one.

2. The other team fucked up.

And again, generally every team is going to have one or two, if not more, characters that can counter with some sort of shield or ult. Zen and Zarya are in most games. Rein and Lucio are in a lot of games. Meis and Winstons are rising. Really, there are many ways to counter Zaryas ult.

LiK

The only Ult that works super well with Zarya Ult is Hanzo's cuz that goes through everything. Altho you hope to have a good Hanzo on your team to make it happen consistently.

xaosslug

Hell, yesterday's korean pro streams one of the PotG was just winston holding mouse 1 as he deals damage to the whole team in zarya's graviton surge. While being stuck in a graviton surge funnily enough.

In fact most of the potg are other assault characters securing multi kills thanks to graviton surge.

whenever I get caught in one as D.Va if the entire enemy team is gathered around and my boost fails and Zarya's stabbing me w/ her lightsaber and I have ult: NERF THIS! xD

Ramirez

Keys to a good Zarya ult,

-Pay attention to Zen/Lucio's ult being used first.
-Break Reins shield or kill him first.
-Make sure DVA is out of her mech.
-Kill Mei

Obvious stuff really, but I see so many gravitons nullified by the above or ate by Matrix.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, as with most ults zarya's gotta look at the opposing comp on top of positioning to know when to get a good ult off. Same with the mindboggling amount of reapers and pharahs I see just pull off the most blatant ults ever when I'm right there as roadhog and they haven't seen my hook go on cooldown.

xaosslug

Keys to a good Zarya ult,

-Pay attention to Zen/Lucio's ult being used first.
-Break Reins shield or kill him first.
-Make sure DVA is out of her mech.
-Kill Mei

Obvious stuff really, but I see so many gravitons nullified by the above or ate by Matrix.

this is also a key to good D.Va ult.

ISOM

I said, and i quote:

You can make the same argument for most ults in the game. If they're used just to take out one or two people to halt a push they are pretty hard to deal with.

Vodh

How graphically demanding is Overwatch? If I wanted to, say, get a laptop that could play it at everything maxed out in 1080p 60fps with a little power to spare in case they throw a curveball with some particle effects or someshit, how much are we talking?

ZangBa

This matchmaking is such garbage. How is a group of randoms vs. 2 groups of 3 fair. Almost a guaranteed loss, and 31 points at that.

How graphically demanding is Overwatch? If I wanted to, say, get a laptop that could play it at everything maxed out in 1080p 60fps with a little power to spare in case they throw a curveball with some particle effects or someshit, how much are we talking?

I get 90-120 fps with a slightly over clocked 980ti at 1440p and everything on Ultra.

You may hit 60 @ 1080 with the mobile equivalent of a 980.

antitrop

Oh, I ran into one of those bad Junkrats everyone complains about. I was on my way back to the objective right as it was about to go into Overtime. I spammed that my rez was up on the way back and Junkrat, the only one contesting, decided to jump off the payload and try to rip-tire. They delivered before he even pulled the cord. I could have rez'd him and one other person, with the rest of my team right behind me. He only needed to contest for 1-2 seconds and that would have been it.

Like... fuck.

I was playing as Zen in comp last night which I almost never do. Heard a Zarya ult go off and in a panic pop my ult only to turn around and see..... It was my Zarya. Completely wasted that ult and looked like an idiot.

I'm a bit baffled by this one - I went to make a solo custom game for some practice, and got stuck on an enter loop with 'custom game sent back to lobby by a moderator'. I can't find an answer on Google, and I've made tons of custom games without seeing this before. Anyone ever run into this? PS4 here.

I was playing as Zen in comp last night which I almost never do. Heard a Zarya ult go off and in a panic pop my ult only to turn around and see..... It was my Zarya. Completely wasted that ult and looked like an idiot.

Yeah, it took me a while to remember which voice clip goes with which side. I still have trouble keeping track of which Lucio clip you hear when it's your Lucio or their Lucio. Always a good rule of thumb, at least as far as English players: when you hear another language, it's the enemy.

maomaoIYP

Defending with randoms in king's row, we had no tank, only healer was zen, a Mei and a Bastion. We got steamrolled and they had 4 mins left. I thought fuck me, the game is lost.
On attack phase somehow almost everyone switches. We've got a Reinhardt, Zarya, Zen, Lucio, but our 2 dps roles were Junkrat and the Mei who refuses to switch out. I still think it's going to be a loss, but somehow we push it to the end with 2.30 left. Score is now 3-3.
Round 3 and we get attack again, we stick to the same comp and steamroll them, pushing the payload from the capture point to the end in overtime. 6-3 now.
One dude on the other team quits. And then two more. Final score 6-3, LOLOLOLOLOLOL I couldn't believe it.

Defending with randoms in king's row, we had no tank, only healer was zen, a Mei and a Bastion. We got steamrolled and they had 4 mins left. I thought fuck me, the game is lost.
On attack phase somehow almost everyone switches. We've got a Reinhardt, Zarya, Zen, Lucio, but our 2 dps roles were Junkrat and the Mei who refuses to switch out. I still think it's going to be a loss, but somehow we push it to the end with 2.30 left. Score is now 3-3.
Round 3 and we get attack again, we stick to the same comp and steamroll them, pushing the payload from the capture point to the end in overtime. 6-3 now.
One dude on the other team quits. And then two more. Final score 6-3, LOLOLOLOLOLOL I couldn't believe it.

Mei channeled her demons to possess the other team to self destruct.

And to think, it's all due to that buttery smile and those adorable eyes furrowed into grim, purposeful death scowls.

EDIT: I seriously need to try this in a Quick Play session.

*dead*

I shouldn't be laughing this much this late...I need to go to sleep so I can wake up early...aka a few hours from now...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got me paired with one of them there Mercy/Pharah cancer comps that continued to play them while the enemy team McCree dominated them

i'm sure your frag vid will turn out great, guys

Zekes!

Yeah, it took me a while to remember which voice clip goes with which side. I still have trouble keeping track of which Lucio clip you hear when it's your Lucio or their Lucio. Always a good rule of thumb, at least as far as English players: when you hear another language, it's the enemy.

Another good rule of thumb is that the enemy team's ults are louder than your own team's ults

For an enemy Lucio you'll hear the loud "LET'S BREAK IT DOWN!"

and for your own team you'll hear a quieter "let's drop the beat"

Owzers

My thumb still decides to ult even though i start to reconsider things as it's happening. There's a half-dead roadhog left when you thought there were more enemies ahead? Nope, button is still getting pressed to Earthshatter and the roadhog already dies before it hits, ulting no one. I need some type of ult lockbox that prevents me from wasting it. Still, had some fun games with gaf people tonight.

My thumb still decides to ult even though i start to reconsider things as it's happening. There's a half-dead roadhog left when you thought there were more enemies ahead? Nope, button is still getting pressed to Earthshatter and the roadhog already dies before it hits, ulting no one. I need some type of ult lockbox that prevents me from wasting it. Still, had some fun games with gaf people tonight.

At least you are a silly monkey no longer.

LiK

At least you are a silly monkey no longer.

Rofl, I just noticed too

I swear to god if a friendly mei blocks one of my Nano boosted guys again with an ice wall I'm gonna break my controller

Also asked in the free weekend thread but didn't get an answer, they've nerfed roadhog's/damage range since the beta right? Because in cqc zero suit dva can take three hits which seems really silly.

Just steamrolled a team so badly that all but one of them left.

I gotta give credit to that one guy that stuck around though. He was committed to finishing the match.

PatjuhR

Just steamrolled a team so badly that all but one of them left.

I gotta give credit to that one guy that stuck around though. He was committed to finishing the match.

It was probably his first time that everybody left. That's the only one time I also stayed after all my 5 teammates left.

zoukka

I swear to god if a friendly mei blocks one of my Nano boosted guys again with an ice wall I'm gonna break my controller

Yeah we had a Mei yesterday who blocked every hook our Hog tried to land. When we politely asked him to change heroes because he was getting murdered by Reaper he of course responded via voice chat: "SUCK MY DICK", just like any 13-year old Mei main would.

It was probably his first time that everybody left. That's the only one time I also stayed after all my 5 teammates left.

The game tells you that you won't be penalized, so I think he just decided to stay and fuck around.

That was the only time I've ever been totally content to have two snipers, a Torb and a Bastion in competitive. Don't think we had a healer either.

I saved the match so I'll probably upload it at some point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I'm wondering if they actually did anything to the way it calculates rank other than put numbers on your rank gain and gave you a shiny icon so you don't feel bad when you lose rank.

Is it better for people to play their mains if they're playing terribly or to switch to a character they're not as good at playing?

Because I just had a Tracer on Nepal that refused to switch despite being shut down 3 games in a row. Lost a 2-0 lead.

Is it better for people to play their mains if they're playing terribly or to switch to a character they're not as good at playing?

Because I just had a Tracer on Nepal that refused to switch despite being shut down 3 games in a row. Lost a 2-0 lead.

Depends on how bad they are with other characters. If they're totally dependent on their main, then they've already lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom