• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azoor

Is it better for people to play their mains if they're playing terribly or to switch to a character they're not as good at playing?

Because I just had a Tracer on Nepal that refused to switch despite being shut down 3 games in a row. Lost a 2-0 lead.

It's depends on the needs of the team. I'm really good with Pharah but if nobody plays a healer I'm gonna switch to Mercy or Lucio.

It's depends on the needs of the team. I'm really good with Pharah but if nobody plays a healer I'm gonna switch to Mercy or Lucio.
My two most played heroes are Mercy and Lucio solely because of how often I get in to games with like 4 offense/hanzos and no healers

Edit: junkrat finally clicked for me. Holy shit. Got a 30 kill defense game
Now he's my favorite defense right there with mei. Just wish widow got a buff or something because there's basically no reason to pick her over hanzo

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Think I just had my best Roadhog match yet, koth on Nepal.

3BWMgIC.jpg

Almost top 500 hogs on overbuff, gonna hook my way to the top. :>

I'm pretty used to the new hook fuckery moments now, my biggest issue now is Ana and sometimes Lucio seem goddamn impossible to hit afterwards. Ana especially seems too thin to one shot consistently, atleast lucio I can step forward a bit and aim down more than usual.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally did my placement matches today. I was something like rank 54 max in season 1, and I went 8-2 to place platinum 2723, which is apparently about the same level.

I'm used to "gold" meaning "average" or "above average" in ranking systems, so platinum being average confused me a bit. Also platinum looks kind of like silver I think.

I had 2 games with 4-gold D.Va in placements, which made me happy.

Think I just had my best Roadhog match yet, koth on Nepal.

Almost top 500 hogs on overbuff, gonna hook my way to the top. :>

I'm pretty used to the new hook fuckery moments now, my biggest issue now is Ana and sometimes Lucio seem goddamn impossible to hit afterwards. Ana especially seems too thin to one shot consistently, atleast lucio I can step forward a bit and aim down more than usual.

Ana and Widow are the worst. I only get them with the combo 1/10 times because of their hitbox. It can be really infuriating.

Nudull

Banned
Finished my placements; 7 wins, 2 losses, 1 tie. I'm actually doing a lot better compared to season one, and leavers seem non-existent. Feels like night and day. o.o

Auctopus

2 weeks in and I've just realised that I'm Platinum, not silver. They look a lot alike.

This just annoys me more than I'm teamed up with such incompetent players.

Just had a guy shouting at me from the start of the match.

"Don't pick Symmetra! She's shit! Be someone else!"

"Aaargh! Why do we have a Symmetra?!"

"[My name] choose someone else, man. Please! Fuck!"

We draw the game.

"Of course we didn't fucking win! We had a fucking Symmetra!"

Cards show that, as Symmetra, I got 31 eliminations. Someone else on my team who was completely silent throughout burst out laughing and told the other guy to apologise to me for giving me shit all game.

"Symmetra's fucking shit. The asshole got lucky!"

Just had a guy shouting at me from the start of the match.

"Don't pick Symmetra! She's shit! Be someone else!"

"Aaargh! Why do we have a Symmetra?!"

"[My name] choose someone else, man. Please! Fuck!"

We draw the game.

"Of course we didn't fucking win! We had a fucking Symmetra!"

Cards show that, as Symmetra, I got 31 eliminations. Someone else on my team who was completely silent throughout burst out laughing and told the other guy to apologise to me for giving me shit all game.

"Symmetra's fucking shit. The asshole got lucky!"

Not having a scoreboard creates more trouble than having one. You can still mask details and use a point system like TF2 so you don't have to show kda if that's what they are worrying about.

ISOM

I don't know why people keep choosing lucio/mercy when choosing the two healers. Unless the rest of your team can get kills you're basically fighting a man down.

finalflame

I don't know why people keep choosing lucio/mercy when choosing the two healers. Unless the rest of your team can get kills you're basically fighting a man down.

Uh...the rest of your team should be getting kills? Healers are there to keep the people who get the kills alive/provide utility. Lucio can still do damage with his pea shooter and his boop is great for finishing off low enemies. I mean, Zenyatta can arguably do more damage and has discord, but his healing is also shit compared to Lucio/Mercy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Uh...the rest of your team should be getting kills? Healers are there to keep the people who get the kills alive/provide utility. Lucio can still do damage with his pea shooter and his boop is great for finishing off low enemies. I mean, Zenyatta can arguably do more damage and has discord, but his healing is also shit compared to Lucio/Mercy.

Different functions really.

A reaper, genji, winston and tracer benefit more from zen as their healer.

finalflame

Different functions really.

A reaper, genji, winston and tracer benefit more from zen as their healer.

Sure, since they have to jump in, having a harmony orb is nice. But that doesn't mean if your team has Lucio/Mercy you're automatically fucked. The DPS should just do their jobs and be competent. I've had tons of matches where I go in as a tank during the push, get 3-4 kills, and the DPS just can't take care of following through to get a wipe, so we reset.

Lots of bad DPS players in OW.

Antiwhippy

Oh for sure, just addressing zen as being a bad healer. They all kinda do their thing.

Which is actually why i don't like running ana with mercy, because they're both meant for big burst healing within a group and you're essentially stealing each other's ult charge. :p

finalflame

Oh for sure, just addressing zen as being a bad healer. They all kinda do their thing.

Which is actually why i don't like running ana with mercy, because they're both meant for big burst healing within a group and you're essentially stealing each other's ult charge. :p

Oh for sure, hah. Thing about Zen too is he definitely doesn't work as a solo healer. I guess I only really see that happen in QP, though.

Antiwhippy

This Mei resurgence is odd. All they did was change her ult. I doubt people avoided using her because of the old tight projectiles

Hey, i was there day 1.

Actually it's probably day 20 or something because i stuck with the tank class for awhile.

But i was still there at the start!

duckroll

When I see someone pick Zen in CP I grab Lucio for some nice synergy and then they immediately switch to a DPS.

Funny, every time I pick Zen and tell the team we need a second healer, unless someone in my group does it, the random fills always go with something else instead.

"Our Zen says he needs a second healer, what should I do... I know! We really need a third tank instead!"

"We need a second healer? Nah lemme try playing another DPS."

"Huh, we need a second healer? Time to play Junkrat!"

:/

Jellie

The rest of the team should be getting kills. The healers role isn't to kill though they can contribute. My highest with Lucio is 55 eliminations. Lucio's speed boost can help chase down enemies retreating or out of position, he can boop people off or finish them off if low. He can do like 128 damage with headshots if you get good with aiming the gun.

Lots of bad DPS players in OW.

This is the key to competitive.

If your team has decent DPS players you're already with a headstart. If not then you need very good tanks/healers to play force multiplier, to keep those bad DPS alive. Having one decent DPS isn't enough. In order for a smooth game both DPS need to be good. They're the guys doing the dirty work. If your DPS ain't gold and silver in damage you got a problem.

If everyone is good, then no one is being carried, everyone does their role well and you win. Unless the enemy team is actually better.

If the DPS is bad, then you need good tanks and support to keep them alive.

If the tanks are bad, then you need good DPS and support to keep the enemies from the tanks.

If the supports are bad, then you'll need phenominal DPS and tanks. You're running without any force multipliers, so the skills really need to overwhelm.

It's not so much individuals can carry, but how much the whole team can compensate for bad players.

Greddleok

Funny, every time I pick Zen and tell the team we need a second healer, unless someone in my group does it, the random fills always go with something else instead.

"Our Zen says he needs a second healer, what should I do... I know! We really need a third tank instead!"

"We need a second healer? Nah lemme try playing another DPS."

"Huh, we need a second healer? Time to play Junkrat!"

:/

Solo queue is the worst. I just wish I could trust the tanks and DPS to do their job. The number of times I've played Mercy or Lucio and am the only one on the payload is getting kind of ridiculous. Everyone spamming "I need healing"...

Come to the payload, your healer is there AND the payload heals you.

I'm OK at this point with removing the "Need Healing" and "Wants to Attack the Objective" quickchat options. I've not seen either them used well, and all they do is get on my nerves. A healer should have enough situational awareness and proper positioning to see who needs healing. The only times when I hear the Need Healing is when I'm dead, or when flankers expect me to take a holiday away from the rest of the group.

Wants To Attack the Objective is not only a "no duh" call, because it's the point of the game, but it seems to be exclusively used by trickling people. Both of those messages must be bugged, because every time it is used, the message strangely enough appears like five times in a row.

This Mei resurgence is odd. All they did was change her ult. I doubt people avoided using her because of the old tight projectiles
Whatever helps. Mei isn't a glamourous character that can carry the team with kills, but I always love having one on my team. Her kit can compliment almost every hero.

Almost done with placement matches. 9-0 duo queue before my roommate went to sleep. I ran Tracer in the last 4 matches and absolutely ruined people. My avg K/D right now is 12 for Season 2. Won't last long though. :c

Remember that she was also stealth buffed in the patch where self-healing affected ultimate regen. Her ultimate time was never adjusted. She became a little better then, but the newest changes pushed her over the hump.

Mendrox

Fuck people in comp that don't pick support if there is need for one. I always pick Zenyatta now just to take the gold elimination crown from the other useless DPS players just to throw it to their faces and they get embarrased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom