• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paltheos

What a fucking dick.

This guy on PSN named Vyntus...

He starts off Widow. Teammates are giving him shit, I stand up for him, give the usual "If he's good, great, if he sucks, as long as he knows to switch, it's fine."

He sucks.

He switches to Hanzo.

We're trying to compensate so we start doing some team shuffling. I'm not doing great as Tracer, and our 76 isn't doing great either. 76 tells me he's going to switch to McCree so that I can switch to 76.

McCree dies. Widow/Hanzo player switches to 76 and just sits in the point for the rest of the round.

Like, what the fuck even is that?

I even asked what the hell? I'm the one guy who actually stood up for your decision to begin with and wasn't a dick to you, so you repay me by grabing my character and squating in the spawn room?

Taking a break for an hour or so.

I know the pain, man. I had a comp. match in Eichenwald yesterday. I don't remember how the defense round went (We held at the very end barely?), but the offense round went terribly. There were multiple points where we killed a few members of their team trying to take point A but despite consistently holding a numerical advantage, we never took it. Huh... well, that's odd.

Then it hits me, like a brick in the face (almost literally). One player whose character choice I'd criticized and asked to switch at the start of the game had decided he'd had enough. He'd camped our own spawn with Mei and was putting up ice walls to slow down our re-entry into the field, and according to other people on my team after I brought this up, they'd been impeded from attacking by the ice wall too. This dude was playing comp. and specifically dicking people over.

mei is just like
tumblr_moz26cNFFY1ql3d82o1_500.gif

finalflame

You should read the posts you respond to better next time.

We were commenting on how you can't use your personal skill to counter the Zarya ult, which means without using a support ult.

And how low of you to imply I'm just a salty person who can't handle dying to zarya ults so many times. A bad comment replacing a proper argument

Wasn't meaning to take a jab at you. It's just unnerving when people start calling for nerfs when a hero is obviously working as intended and perfectly manageable in their current state. As it stands, Zarya's Graviton Sureg can be:

• Swallowed by DM
  • Reflected by Genji's deflect
  • Escaped from by a number of heroes (Tracer, Reaper, Genji, D.Va, Rein, Widowmaker)
The reason Zarya's ult is good at all is because it has an element of surprise, and many unorganized teams can't deal with being sucked into one.

Even then, pulling off any kind of combo requires your team to have some semblance of coordination, which honestly isn't always a given. The game isn't entirely about individual skill, so it should not be expected that every hero's ultimate can be single handedly countered by personal skill. That's why defensive ults like Transcendence and Sound Barrier exist, because it's a team game.

Rein's Earthshatter also can't be escaped from and is equally devastating if used on a clumped group. Mei's ult, unless you're one of the high mobility heroes, cannot be properly escaped if used correctly, especially with the new radius, and makes everyone sitting ducks.

Tovarisc

Well that happened. In party with friend so we are on same team. He threw Junkrat's remote bomb at enemy Diva and detonated. It killed me, I was on Zen. Friendly Fire ON? :b

I'm not a great player (2200 SR to start, down at 2000 now), but I'm amazed at the difference a mic can have. I just had a couple solid games (PS4) where I put on my headset and the game is so. much. better. when people actually communicate.

I know it's obvious but 30 hours in and these are by far the most communicative matches I've had.

NeoRaider

So i had two all Mei matches today. And well... it was a-mei-zing. lol
Opposite team couldn't do anything they were basically running around like crazy all the time and being killed every few seconds. I even felt sorry for them few times, but i couldn't stop laughing whole time. XD

https://streamable.com/e2n6

DevilDog

Wasn't meaning to take a jab at you. It's just unnerving when people start calling for nerfs when a hero is obviously working as intended and perfectly manageable in their current state. As it stands, Zarya's Graviton Sureg can be:

• Swallowed by DM
  • Reflected by Genji's deflect
  • Escaped from by a number of heroes (Tracer, Reaper, Genji, D.Va, Rein, Widowmaker)
The reason Zarya's ult is good at all is because it has an element of surprise, and many unorganized teams can't deal with being sucked into one.

Even then, pulling off any kind of combo requires your team to have some semblance of coordination, which honestly isn't always a given. The game isn't entirely about individual skill, so it should not be expected that every hero's ultimate can be single handedly countered by personal skill. That's why defensive ults like Transcendence and Sound Barrier exist, because it's a team game.

Rein's Earthshatter also can't be escaped from and is equally devastating if used on a clumped group. Mei's ult, unless you're one of the high mobility heroes, cannot be properly escaped if used correctly, especially with the new radius, and makes everyone sitting ducks.
Working as intended =/= balanced
It isn't perfectly manageable.
DM and deflect are luck based and not reliable.
Black hole doesn't need to kill your whole team to be great. Just 3 people.
Many organized teams can't react to being sucked into one as well, when it's not an act of desperation.
Any ult can kill people by surprise, zarya doesn't need it to be.
The teamwork aspect is important and needs to stay, it doesn't mean that her ULT isn't broken.

Teams should shine through their individual skill as well as their teamwork.That doesn't excuse throwing the player skill element out the window.
You shouldn't have to always need a support ULT to counter another ult. Zarya's ULT demands it almost always. Unless she is throwing of course.

Yes rein ult IMO needs a bit of tuning as well. Maybe a longer cast period. But it's not as bad as zarya's. Due to LOS. Zarya doesn't care, she will suck you in even behind walls.

Auctopus

Placed 2750~ in my placement matches and haven't won a match since.

Literally. I've lost about 12 games in a row and I've sunk to 2200.

We're talking about a Diamond player specifically. Which puts him somewhere between 60-68 from last season.

That said, your numbers aren't right. Well, the numbers are, but where you are placing average isn't.

Jeff Kaplan said before the bulk of Overwatch players fell between Rank 44 and 56 for Season 1. Which means Average is pretty much were you would think it is at 2500 (out of 5000).

So while yes, a Platinum player could be average, by the time you're seeing Diamonds mix in regularly, these should be players who would have been in their 60s or higher for Season 1, and as Kaplan said, "Are incredibly good Overwatch players."
Yeah, Kaplan said 60+ was 6% of the playerbase, so Diamond players are, if we're being ungenerous, probably all in the top 10% of Overwatch players. Low-platinum players are still in the top 50% or so, and it's a steep curve. Once you're over 2750, you're probably in the top 25% or better of all players.

Jellie

Yeah, Kaplan said 60+ was 6% of the playerbase, so Diamond players are, if we're being ungenerous, probably all in the top 10% of Overwatch players. Low-platinum players are still in the top 50% or so, and it's a steep curve. Once you're over 2750, you're probably in the top 25% or better of all players.

What do you think the top 1% is?
EDIT: Wow is everyone using mics in Kor's stream?

Chance

No, won't build any charge for healing self inflicted damage. Unless it's from Genjis reflect, of course.

It just has to be after the match has begun. If you're on defense but the enemy team hasn't begun to attack, the heal grants 0 ult charge. After that, it charges ult. Tested last night (Mercy + Pharah, PS4).

AngryMoth

Holy shit my Tracer is on point today. Used only feel comfortable with her on KotH but playing her in most matches and actually feel like I'm carrying some games

finalflame

Working as intended =/= balanced
It isn't perfectly manageable.
DM and deflect are luck based and not reliable.
Black hole doesn't need to kill your whole team to be great. Just 3 people.
Many organized teams can't react to being sucked into one as well, when it's not an act of desperation.
Any ult can kill people by surprise, zarya doesn't need it to be.
The teamwork aspect is important and needs to stay, it doesn't mean that her ULT isn't broken.

Teams should shine through their individual skill as well as their teamwork.That doesn't excuse throwing the player skill element out the window.
You shouldn't have to always need a support ULT to counter another ult. Zarya's ULT demands it almost always. Unless she is throwing of course.

Yes rein ult IMO needs a bit of tuning as well. Maybe a longer cast period. But it's not as bad as zarya's. Due to LOS. Zarya doesn't care, she will suck you in even behind walls.

I think we'll agree to disagree, then. No worries.

protonium

People, please stop blocking your Ana's line of sight.

If I'm trying to take out Bastion/Torb's turret/Zen, etc while we prepare for a push, I don't need Rein or whoever has a range of 10 metres to be simply staring down the point from afar. Fire strike and move on.

If I notify a Rein 1-3 times that my nano boost is ready as we're pushing in and that I'm going to use it, we don't need a Lucio swooping in to kiss Rein's ass at that very moment.

Help me, help you.

I might pop on around 5:30 EST.

See if my crew is on.

If not, I'm gonna need a high skill rating badass to carry me for my last >100 points. Super carry. Me on Attack Symm and Defense Widow* kind of carry.

* Who else (on console at least) thinks Widow is such garbage on Defense, while she can be pretty useful on Attack?

Owzers

a week or so ago i wrote down sensitivities people were using and settled on 50/35 for reaper, mei, Zarya and now Dva. Mercy and Winston got left higher, and Rein is still at 60/40.

For long while i went up to 70/50 for all characters and it was a disaster i was trying to force to work, much better now that i gave up on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom