• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't really have a problem with a Bastion as long as he is behind a Rein shield, maybe a Mercy too. It's still very situational, though. I mean it's just so easy to take Bastion out from a distance. A direct rocket and a few bullets from Soldier will melt a Bastion in turret form.

LiK

Bastion is fine as long as he's shredding guys. Don't care if people choose him on Attack if they know where to place him. I honestly don't care who people play as long as it ain't Widow.

Sick of tryhards screaming for heroes in the meta. Look at the pros who decided that 3 tanks and 3 supports can work too. You just need to know what to do.

That Bastion hate...

People yelling at me to switch off of him, when I'm literally taking out 3 enemies from full to zero solo almost every push.

We ended up winning, even.

Done for a while since my Mic is dead.

Your Bastion play was pretty aggressive. I was impressed. I did enjoy watching Rein knock you into the pit only to have you land on the bottom floor of another building.

Can you check teammate's ult status on PS4? On PC you just tab and it'll show you, so I often just use it when I see the opportunity and assume whoever has ult (I'll save it if they say they're close or I see they have it up) will just follow up.

Yeah, you can see it via a check mark under their name - but the problem is even while they're next to me I'll pop Zarya's ult and they won't use theirs, or worse they'll do it way too early. I don't think it's a solvable problem without mics.

Jellie

Yea, they think they know everything. I even went to Zen since they begged me and he's my worst hero rofl. Anyway, next time I'll mute them. I can't have these nagging bitches in my ears for the entire match.
What was great was he was telling you how to use dva ult. Next game you got like a triple with it and killed him a few times with it.

LiK

What was great was he was telling you how to use dva ult. Next game you got like a triple with it and killed him a few times with it.

I got a quad kill with it before that shitty match too. I let the Ult go off cuz they destroyed my mech and we were near the end. I wasn't gonna try and save it with no more time left. They act like I placed it there which was hilarious.

We had a close match and those fools act like we got steamrolled and called us "bad". They weren't dominating that much themselves. I stayed alive longer than them.

Wasn't meaning to take a jab at you. It's just unnerving when people start calling for nerfs when a hero is obviously working as intended and perfectly manageable in their current state. As it stands, Zarya's Graviton Sureg can be:

• Swallowed by DM
  • Reflected by Genji's deflect
  • Escaped from by a number of heroes (Tracer, Reaper, Genji, D.Va, Rein, Widowmaker)
The reason Zarya's ult is good at all is because it has an element of surprise, and many unorganized teams can't deal with being sucked into one.

Even then, pulling off any kind of combo requires your team to have some semblance of coordination, which honestly isn't always a given. The game isn't entirely about individual skill, so it should not be expected that every hero's ultimate can be single handedly countered by personal skill. That's why defensive ults like Transcendence and Sound Barrier exist, because it's a team game.

Rein's Earthshatter also can't be escaped from and is equally devastating if used on a clumped group. Mei's ult, unless you're one of the high mobility heroes, cannot be properly escaped if used correctly, especially with the new radius, and makes everyone sitting ducks.

I'm personally of the opinion that if Zarya gets a nerf, it should be something small or indirect.

Her bubbles blocking los is something I'd be okay with getting changed.

For example, you say that Rein's earthshatter can't be escaped from, but did you know if Zarya bubbles herself in front of Rein, it blocks the entirety of his ult? It works based on the same LOS rules as other ults, and Zarya's bubbles block LOS. She can also block D.Va and Junkrat ult in the same way, and I'm pretty sure Mei's ult as well, though I need to test that one a bit more. If your team is behind Zarya when she does this, they'll be fine, even if it makes no sense whatsoever from the appearance of the situation.

Jellie

I got a quad kill with it before that shitty match too. I let the Ult go off cuz they destroyed my mech and we were near the end. I wasn't gonna try and save it with no more time left. They act like I placed it there which was hilarious.
Yeah I could tell. It's overtime and you needed your mech back. It's common sense.

Just stickied Lucio 3 times in a row. I would feel bad but it's quick play.

Is there a better feeling than stomping someone who trash talked you on your own team the previous game?

No, I think not.

Last night I had a guy who was really being annoying about passive aggressively telling us we all sucked. We draw on Numbani 1-1 and get no points.

Next match, he's on the other team on Gibraltar. I tell him "no draw this time :)"

We won.

A few games later, I play with someone else from that Numbani game and tell him "time for us to both get points!"

We won that one too.

Feels good man.

I'm personally of the opinion that if Zarya gets a nerf, it should be something small or indirect.

For example, you say that Rein's earthshatter can't be escaped from, but did you know if Zarya bubbles herself in front of Rein, it blocks the entirety of his ult? It works based on the same LOS rules as other ults, and Zarya's bubbles block LOS. She can also block D.Va and Junkrat ult in the same way, and I'm pretty sure Mei's ult as well, though I need to test that one a bit more. If your team is behind Zarya when she does this, they'll be fine, even if it makes no sense whatsoever from the appearance of the situation.

:O

That explains a lot. I've seen my bubbles block ults like that but I did it to save myself. Shielding teammates with my own bubble via LoS should be patched.

I love walking up to a D.Va explosion and getting that sweet 50 charge tho.

finalflame

You're saying her bubble will protect the entire team from Rein ult? I was pretty sure it only protected her. I'd need to test this/see video evidence, as I swear I've seen my team get Rein ulted around me while I stayed standing because I was able to pop my bubble. Same with Junkrat ult; it saves me, but not my teammates, last I checked. And D.Va ult; the bubble absorbs damage for you, but not others.

Her bubbles do also negate Mei's freeze, in that it allows you (or a teammate with projected barrier) to walk out of it for the 2 seconds it lasts. For maximum utility, pop it at the last second before you're about to become immobile. This is also how I 1v1 Meis as Zarya when they get in my face.

I think it's part of her kit that makes her a high skill ceiling and rewarding hero to play.

Went 6-4 in placement, got ranked at 2591.

Meh. That's what I get for solo-queuing I guess.

I've realized the win/loss thing isn't super important for placement.

Someone on reddit won all 10 matches and got placed lower than me, and I went 6W and 4L like you did. And I placed at 31XX.

You're saying her bubble will protect the entire team from Rein ult? I was pretty sure it only protected her. I'd need to test this/see video evidence, as I swear I've seen my team get Rein ulted around me while I stayed standing because I was able to pop my bubble. Same with Junkrat ult; it saves me, but not my teammates, last I checked. And D.Va ult; the bubble absorbs damage for you, but not others.

Her bubbles do also negate Mei's freeze, in that it allows you (or a teammate with projected barrier) to walk out of it for the 2 seconds it lasts. For maximum utility, pop it at the last second before you're about to become immobile. This is also how I 1v1 Meis as Zarya when they get in my face.

I think it's part of her kit that makes her a high skill ceiling and rewarding hero to play.
If Zarya has a bubble up, when Rein's hammer comes down, Zarya's Bubble acts as a Line of Sight object, so anything behind it in relation to the hammer isn't actually impacted by the Ult.

This is a Zarya isn't really going ot be able to time that anyway, and if it happens, it's purely by chance.

Jellie

I think if you are forward it might block earth shatter as it's a cone shape. Not sure though.

LiK

Someone on reddit won all 10 matches and got placed lower than me, and I went 6W and 4L like you did. And I placed at 31XX.

If Zarya has a bubble up, when Rein's hammer comes down, Zarya's Bubble acts as a Line of Sight object, so anything behind it in relation to the hammer isn't actually impacted by the Ult.

This is a Zarya isn't really going ot be able to time that anyway, and if it happens, it's purely by chance.

I had 4 wins and 5 losses and 1 draw. It placed me in Plat while other people who did better got Gold. Seems like it really doesn't matter unless you're doing really poorly.

https://clips.twitch.tv/mattz2007/ExcitedDolphinBatChest

Don't get me wrong, I love Zarya, but she is due for a nerf. And this is probably the best way to do it without severely harming her play.

I personally don't think she needs a nerf, but maybe make it where the more energy she gets, the shorter her beam?

That's super counter intuitive.

I'm in the boat that says Zarya doesn't seem to really be a problem.

I think she has great synergy with the current Meta, and that's all there is to it.

Oh yeah, I know the losses weren't that big a deal. I'm just a little salty that two of my losses had leavers in the first round :p

I think she has great synergy with the current Meta, and that's all there is to it.

Zarya is more of a problem on PC, in my experience. People are able to track a whole lot better with the beam, and she gets 100 charge from one firestrike. So she does a bit too much solo damage when she gets up there. I think it's fine, since her charge depletes so fast, but something is almost certainly in the pipeline for her.

I mean, they don't have to make it too much shorter, just a little. But, yeah, I don't think a character needs a nerf just because they are very useful and a big part of the meta. I don't think she's OP.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I had 4 wins and 5 losses and 1 draw. It placed me in Plat while other people who did better got Gold. Seems like it really doesn't matter unless you're doing really poorly.

I think it takes into account your s1 rack pretty heavily.

As long as you don't bomb out or seen to have drastically improved it always seems to place you within that range.

finalflame

Yah, I've never ever thought of this application of the bubble. What makes most sense is..

I think if you are forward it might block earth shatter as it's a cone shape. Not sure though.

...this. It would make sense if Zarya is in Rein's face and is able to time her bubble while at the tip of the cone, it negates the ult. Like Kor said, though, that would be insanely hard to plan/time. But for all intents and purposes, working as intended. I think things like Junkrat and D.Va Ult are radial/spherical, though, so there's no way Zarya's barrier can negate them for teammates easily. I guess if someone is able to stand behind Zarya and it breaks LOS..that seems fine, though.

https://clips.twitch.tv/mattz2007/ExcitedDolphinBatChest

Don't get me wrong, I love Zarya, but she is due for a nerf. And this is probably the best way to do it without severely harming her play.

Thanks for the video. I honestly think this is a result of her barrier being right up in Ult's face and it being cone shaped, so she's negating the very tip of the cone. If anyone on PC wants to test this out with me a bit later, I'm down.

Zarya is more of a problem on PC, in my experience. People are able to track a whole lot better with the beam, and she gets 100 charge from one firestrike. So she does a bit too much solo damage when she gets up there. I think it's fine, since her charge depletes so fast, but something is almost certainly in the pipeline for her.

Well this is the problem right here.

Zarya should never be getting more than 50 energy from a single Bubble. I could've sworn that's how it's always been or supposed to be.

Unless you're telling me that She's bubbling herself and someone else, in which case. The enemy Rein is totally at fault there.

Antiwhippy

I mean, they don't have to make it too much shorter, just a little. But, yeah, I don't think a character needs a nerf just because they are very useful and a big part of the meta. I don't think she's OP.

I don't think she needs a nerf either but i also do think that she's undoubtably one of the most powerful characters in the game, if not the most powerful.

Zarya should never be getting more than 50 energy from a single Bubble. I could've sworn that's how it's always been or supposed to be.

Unless you're telling me that She's bubbling herself and someone else, in which case. The enemy Rein is totally at fault there.

The thing is, there isn't really a way to prevent that other than never fire striking. And if your Rein never throws out a fire strike, he will never have ult. You want your Rein to have ult.

Once you hit 60 in S1 or Diamond now, it's near impossible to keep Zarya away from full charge unless a stomp is happening on either side. If their team is stomping you, you'll never live long enough for the charge to be useful. If you are stomping them, you are likely never going to see them long enough to get charge on a payload map. Other than those circumstances, Zarya almost always has at least 60+ charge.

Thanks for the video. I honestly think this is a result of her barrier being right up in Ult's face and it being cone shaped, so she's negating the very tip of the cone. If anyone on PC wants to test this out with me a bit later, I'm down.

That's exactly what is happening, but it makes no sense tbh. Zarya can already negate quite a few ults herself, blocking Rein's via pure luck doesn't exactly seem like something that is intended. Saving people with your bubbles from it is fine, as that is intended. But the los effect seems a bit busted to me, and I have a lot of time on Zarya.

finalflame

She doesn't get more than 50 from a single bubble, but she can bubble herself and someone else in the path of a Firestrike and get 100 energy., since Firestrike doesn't break on impact. If your team has their shit together you can both stand in the way of Firestrike while barrier'd, but I've never found teammates that do this. It's more effective to just bubble a teammate as they walk into fire, but I always get my free 50 energy from the enemy Rein's firestrike.

I guess a potential nerf could be to speed up her energy decay and keep barrier cooldowns the same. Not that I'm a fan of that idea, but, they could do it.

Jellie

Yah, I've never ever thought of this application of the bubble. What makes most sense is..

...this. It would make sense if Zarya is in Rein's face and is able to time her bubble while at the tip of the cone, it negates the ult. Like Kor said, though, that would be insanely hard to plan/time. But for all intents and purposes, working as intended. I think things like Junkrat and D.Va Ult are radial/spherical, though, so there's no way Zarya's barrier can negate them for teammates easily. I guess if someone is able to stand behind Zarya and it breaks LOS..that seems fine, though.

You can bait him into doing it but it's pretty difficult.

komaruR

Harbleu (compLexity, formerly Luminosity) last night played with a Master ranked Bastion main (14 hours in CP Season 2) that absolutely SHREDDED on Route 66, attack and defense. It was fucking nuts. At first he gave the Bastion grief, but then he trusted, and they fucking steamrolled. On second round defense the Bastion destroyed 3 people within a couple of seconds and they took the payload out of overtime and won the game.

I think the dude's name was Arigato.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/arigato-1571?mode=competitive

#3 Bastion ranked on Overbuff.

funny that on surefour stream a yesterday, he was in a game with a bastion main called arigato too. pc or ps4?

Tovarisc

This game has maybe most toxic and disrespectful community out of any MP game I have played. This shit must be worse than MOBA scene. You have your normal dipshits who are just toxic in chat, abusive towards others as much as they can. Then you have these fuckers who intentionally throw games by running to their death constantly or just idling in spawn until round is over.

"Ranked has more competitive minded players" my ass, same dipship trolls as in QP.

The thing is, there isn't really a way to prevent that other than never fire striking. And if your Rein never throws out a fire strike, he will never have ult. You want your Rein to have ult.

Once you hit 60 in S1 or Diamond now, it's near impossible to keep Zarya away from full charge unless a stomp is happening on either side. If their team is stomping you, you'll never live long enough for the charge to be useful. If you are stomping them, you are likely never going to see them long enough to get charge on a payload map. Other than those circumstances, Zarya almost always has at least 60+ charge.

You're acting like Rein is a Mandatory. If Zarya is going to be such a counter to him, then the answer is to not pick Rein. Just like every other character who feeds into another.

You don't pick Winston when the Enemy team has a Bastion.
You don't pick Roadhog when the Enemy team has a Zenyatta.

If you're telling me a Rein is worthless when there is a Zarya on the enemy team, then maybe it's the choice of Rein that's the problem, not the Zarya.

LiK

This game has maybe most toxic and disrespectful community out of any MP game I have played. This shit must be worse than MOBA scene. You have your normal dipshits who are just toxic in chat, abusive towards others as much as they can. Then you have these fuckers who intentionally throw games by running to their death constantly or just idling in spawn until round is over.

""Ranked has more competitive minded players" my ass, same dipship trolls as in QP.

I think it's just as bad as any other FPS MP game. CS was probably the worst for me.

finalflame

funny that on surefour stream a yesterday, he was in a game with a bastion main called arigato too. pc or ps4?

Surefour was on the enemy team; he was playing against Harbleu/the Arigato Bastion. It was Harbleu's last game for the night, not sure about Surefour. I was watching Harbleu's stream :)

You're acting like Rein is a Mandatory. If Zarya is going to be such a counter to him, then the answer is to not pick Rein. Just like every other character who feeds into another.

If you're telling me a Rein is worthless when there is a Zarya on the enemy team, then maybe it's the choice of Rein that's the problem, not the Zarya.

Yah, and honestly, Zarya doesn't counter Rein THAT hard. Firestrike when her bubbles are on CD. Just need to have some game awareness, which you should have anyways.

On Payload, Rein is pretty much mandatory. It isn't that Zarya is a counter, just using that to point out that it is near impossible to keep Zarya from full charge. And I will point out that Zarya has no counter pick within the tanks, whereas all of the others do to some extent.

I don't think she needs a nerf either but i also do think that she's undoubtably one of the most powerful characters in the game, if not the most powerful.
There's nothing wrong with having a most powerful hero. It's almost impossible to not have that. A perfectly balanced game is like a unicorn. In a game where everyone counters someone, there will always be the weaker heroes and the stronger heroes. Let's worry about buffing the weaker heroes before thinking about the stronger heroes because, as of now, there really aren't any characters that are OP, imo.

Even in the last pick rate chart, Zarya was in the same tier as Rein, Winston, McCree, Lucio, and Zen, which they call the balanced heroes tier, so....

finalflame

On Payload, Rein is pretty much mandatory. It isn't that Zarya is a counter, just using that to point out that it is near impossible to keep Zarya from full charge. And I will point out that Zarya has no counter pick within the tanks, whereas all of the others do to some extent.

Roadhog can fuck Zarya pretty good. His vape can mostly outheal her beam unless she is full charge (and even then, who hangs out around a full charge Zarya? the tell is pretty clear). His hook can be used when her barrier is down (just wait until it pops and hook her), and she is relatively squishy compared to other tanks and can be downed from full health with a good hook combo + follow-up.

Wait when is zarya a rein counter?

She's not, people are complaining because Rein's Firestrike can serve as 50 ult charge on her personal barrier and another 50 on projected barrier if she somehow pops it on someone that's in the way + you absorb it as well. But a Rein can just wait for her bubbles to be on CD if he's even marginally paying attention.

komaruR

well probably he got matched with lower team avg SR that locks him into his final SR after placement.
usually the individual contribution/achievement in the game will steer you to a bracket of SR players.

aeolist

Banned
zarya shield blocking los works exactly the same as other shields in the game, if anything nerfing that would break consistency

edit. also i'm pretty sure that if one of her bubbles gets hit by firestrike it's absorbed so she can't get a full charge from a single one

Roadhog can fuck Zarya pretty good. His vape can mostly outheal her beam unless she is full charge (and even then, who hangs out around a full charge Zarya? the tell is pretty clear). His hook can be used when her barrier is down (just wait until it pops and hook her), and she is relatively squishy compared to other tanks and can be downed from full health with a good hook combo + follow-up.

But Zarya will shut down Roadhog for a majority of the game. If Zarya is playing with her team and you can't reliably hook the Zarya, you'll do absolutely nothing for literally 3/4 of the game. You can't hook anyone on her team without them getting a barrier. And without his hooks, Hog is useless.

Antiwhippy

There's nothing wrong with having a most powerful hero. It's almost impossible to not have that. A perfectly balanced game is like a unicorn. In a game where everyone counters someone, there will always be the weaker heroes and the stronger heroes. Let's worry about buffing the weaker heroes before thinking about the stronger heroes because, as of now, there really aren't any characters that are OP, imo.

Even in the last pick rate chart, Zarya was in the same tier as Rein, Winston, McCree, Lucio, and Zen, which they call the balanced heroes tier, so....

Though let's remember that the chart then is still pretty heavily in flux because the pro teams are trying out things to see what makes the meta different.

I doubt she'll be an s-tier, but i get the feeling that she'll be an a-tier pick. She's pretty much mandatory on koth and i think she'll feature in all the maps, with the wrinkle being that it'll either be rein/Winston or zarya/Winston for the more vertically oriented maps.

Jellie

I always thought Reinhardt was a Zarya counter. Can pin her easily and she has the lowest health of all the tanks. Then again you don't really want a charge happy Reinhardt.

Eh, I have to disagree with this. As soon as Roadhog gets close enough, he shits on Zenyatta. I've never had a game where I have to switch off because of Zenyatta. He hurts Roadhog, but not enough to just not play him.

There will always be exceptions to every rule, because every players skill level is different.

But Zenyatta is normally a pretty hard counter to Roadhog, able to solo him quite easily as long as he cant avoid/time the hook.

But Zarya will shut down Roadhog for a majority of the game. If Zarya is playing with her team and you can't reliably hook the Zarya, you'll do absolutely nothing for literally 3/4 of the game. You can't hook anyone on her team without them getting a barrier. And without his hooks, Hog is useless.
Again, have to disagree. Just focus on the Zarya and alt fire her. Your alt fire has a larger range than her beam. As soon as her shield goes down, hook her to the front lines and your team should go for her. Again, never had a game where I had to switch off because of Zarya.

I've never played a Zarya where I felt my hook was completely worthless. It still has a TON of value.

finalflame

Zarya's barrires are on CD for the most part, though. For every 2 seconds of barrier she has a 10/8 second cooldown. A good hog can just hook during the CD periods. It's not like she ALWAYS has her barriers up.

The "if X is playing with their team" part is true of most heroes. If Rein is playing with his team he's hard to shit on. If D.Va is playing with her team, she's hard to shit on, etc. People will inevitably stray. You see Zaryas get hooked and killed by Hog on pro/semipro/tournament streams all the time. It's a pretty decent counter if you're a competent hog.

There will always be exceptions to every rule, because every players skill level is different.

But Zenyatta is normally a pretty hard counter to Roadhog, able to solo him quite easily as long as he cant avoid/time the hook.

Yah, but Zenyatta is pretty slow/predictable with his movement and easy to hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom