• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Reaper is one of the most balanced characters though. Might even be the most balanced.

I think you are wrong there. I don't think this is a witch hunt by any means. Just because bliz hears about heroes being unbalanced in some way doesn't mean that they are going to act on it. They always look at the numbers to back it up as well. The reason why Reaper hasn't been touched is because he is really no more powerful than any of the other Offense heroes. Zarya is pretty arguably the strongest tank and synergizes with just about any comp a bit too much at the moment.

Im not saying I want reaper to get nerfed. I think he is good as he is. But people will bitch because their favs got hit. Ironically i'm semi bitching about it because of the Zarya incoming nerf, but I assumed that the community would act like that regradles. Do I think Blizzard will listen? Probably not, they see pretty good at sifting through all the noise in the community.

My probably with Blizzard tho is how over the top they handle these tune ups. I can see them really fucking up Zarya's kit

Jarate

Banned
also, whenever I see a non charged Zarya, I salivate when I play Roadhog. Just bait out her bubble and she's as harmless as a mosquito, you can easily heal through her bubbles

People ghotta just stop spamming when there's a Zarya on the team.

You know what needs nerfing? Hanzo's scattershot. Oh yeah, and Roadhog's hook. I always underestimate the range and effectiveness of that thing, and it's a guaranteed death nowadays with the majority of the heroes.

Fuck Roadhog and fuck Hanzo.
lol, asking to nerf two balanced heroes, two heroes who aren't even at the top of the scene lol.

Tracer seems to me to be the best Zarya counter.

She can harass about a 3rd of her bar down with a clip, and then has the speed to chase because If you give Zarya 3 seconds of breathing room, she's either getting regen, killing cooldown time on a bubble, or both while searching for a health pack.

Winston is good for similar reasons but is grossly more affected by initiating when she already has charge.

Gorillaz

I want roadhog to have 5 shots instead of 4. That is the one "buff" I want for him

oh and also fix his chain, since the shit doesn't even line you up properly anymore

I-hate-u

I don't feel Zarya is broken, but I am always glad to have one on my team. Same with Lucio, Zenyatta and for non KOTH maps, Reinhart. Likewise, I hate fighting teams that play those characters.

These characters are too good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
also, whenever I see a non charged Zarya, I salivate when I play Roadhog. Just bait out her bubble and she's as harmless as a mosquito, you can easily heal through her bubbles

People ghotta just stop spamming when there's a Zarya on the team.

Then you're playing pretty bad zaryas, because i can pretty much react bubble a hook.

A good zarya should be able to stay constantly charged even if the enemy team is aware of the whole not shooting the bubbles thing.

finalflame

I don't feel Zarya is broken, but I am ALWAYS happy when I see one on my team. Same with Lucio, Zenyatta and for non KOTH maps, Reinhart. Likewise, I hate fighting teams that play those characters.

Zarya, Rein, Lucio, Zen is the backbone of any good Assault team. People who insist on straying from this comp are doing themselves a disservice. The DPS are highly interchangeable, but a good McCree and good Reaper is always dankity dank dank.

Just let me rage for a bit will ya, got oneshot too many times by both heroes tonight :(

The source of most nerf requests: "X killed me too many times, NERF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I know that feel, though. I like to shit on people repeatedly with the same hero so they feel that way. and I've been shit on repeatedly by certain heroes and know how it feels.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Zarya is OP af.

There is a reason why you see her in every single match.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Win two games go up to 2620 and 2644 respectively. Lose one on Eichenwalde(which finally shows up once in a blue moon and drop down to 2618. With 3 gold as Lucio no less. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Had a player who went Reaper leaving us with 3 DPS, 1 tank and 2 healers on Defense. We lost every point up until the last where he went Zarya and we successfully defended. He then decides on attack that he wants to be Reaper again and thinks that one of the DPS should tank because he had Elimination gold as Zarya and apparently our Genji is bad(idk if he was, helped me cap the point after all) and so we cap the first point in overtime, but don't make it much further as they hold us at the first gate and said Genji decides it's time to play Bastion.

:||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

finalflame

Zarya is OP af.

There is a reason why you see her in every single match.

That's not how this works. Zarya needs minor adjustments at best. By and large, she is well balanced.

You also might want to qualify your driveby shitposting instead of, well, just driveby shitposting.

Idk, maybe console Zarya is a lot different, but on PC in coordinated comp play she's more of a problem than she should be. I'll see what Anne thinks when I play with her later tonight, but I'm pretty sure she mentioned something similar the other day when we were grouped.

LAM09

Just finished playing a competitive match where there was only two players left on the opposing team. Something needs to be done about quitters.

finalflame

Idk, maybe console Zarya is a lot different, but on PC in coordinated comp play she's more of a problem than she should be. I'll see what Anne thinks when I play with her later tonight, but I'm pretty sure she mentioned something similar the other day when we were grouped.

You'd probably be better off asking actual pro players on Twitch. They answer pretty much most non-stupid questions.

Just finished playing a competitive match where there was only two players left on the opposing team. Something needs to be done about quitters.

Yah. The rest of the team should not be penalized unless they are grouped with the leaver. Seems like such a trivial solution to such a major problem.

Jarate

Banned
THINGS THAT COUNTER ZARYAS
Tracers
Paharrah
Roadhogs
Sniper Classes
Bastion
Mercy

Zarya is used a shit ton because none of the classes that counter her super hard are in the meta as much as Zarya bait Zenyatta, Lucio, and McCree just get wasted away by Zarya. Winston is heavily used as well and gets melted.

Zarya is also good because she can save people from kills, which are sometimes hard to come by. Zarya saves a lot of classes from a lot of inevitably other classes. A good player will wait and see if the Zarya has used her bubble or bait them out though.

NimbusD

We discussed this further up in the page, but I think the idea is if you + a bubbled teammate both get hit by the firestrike, you'll be at 100 charge. It's actually not super easy to pull that off, though, and Rein can just wait for Zarya's barriers to be on CD before firestriking.

Or just fix her autoaim on consoles and leave PC alone. Can't balance two different platforms at the same time.

Ah ok, I commented before refreshing the page and didn't see that.

I mean, if you're throwing a firestrike at a zarya and don't know if she has her shields on cooldown and she's set up to be able to do that and coordinated enough to do it. It's your own fault. Also, after doing that she has no shields, so if your team isn't coordinated enough to realize that and do something about it, your team is just not as coordinated and skilled as the other team that just pulled that off, so why should you win?

finalflame

Ah ok, I commented before refreshing the page and didn't see that.

I mean, if you're throwing a firestrike at a zarya and don't know if she has her shields on cooldown and she's set up to be able to do that and coordinated enough to do it. It's your own fault.

Agreed :) Most Reins throw their Firestrike without a worry in the world when the enemy team first comes into view. They deserve the punishment.

Jarate

Banned
Then you're playing pretty bad zaryas, because i can pretty much react bubble a hook.

A good zarya should be able to stay constantly charged even if the enemy team is aware of the whole not shooting the bubbles thing.

I was stuck in Plat hell fam, and i also play a mean Zarya as well.

But whenever I play Roadhog, I just go into those Zaryas. You bait out her bubble and you hook her blast her etc...

Ertai

The source of most nerf requests: "X killed me too many times, NERF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I know that feel, though. I like to shit on people repeatedly with the same hero so they feel that way. and I've been shit on repeatedly by certain heroes and know how it feels.

Just feeling frustrated in general. On a personal level i seem to be consistent with last season but for some reason this season i'm significantly lower this time around. Losing matches in the dying seconds, silly matchups and people sticking to their Torbjorn on defense when D.va is all over them all the time. Had a rising streak up to 2617 rating but dropped down again to 2550ish.

And it does feel like Roadhog's healing is a bit too much ;)

You'd probably be better off asking actual pro players on Twitch. They answer pretty much most non-stupid questions.

I could do that as well, but you do realize she writes on the competitive OW scene right? She's up to date on this shit and talks to pro players too.

You probably didn't mean it that way but the 'actual pro players' thing did read as a bit dismissive to me.

Antiwhippy

Win two games go up to 2620 and 2644 respectively. Lose one on Eichenwalde(which finally shows up once in a blue moon and drop down to 2618. With 3 gold as Lucio no less. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Had a player who went Reaper leaving us with 3 DPS, 1 tank and 2 healers on Defense. We lost every point up until the last where he went Zarya and we successfully defended. He then decides on attack that he wants to be Reaper again and thinks that one of the DPS should tank because he had Elimination gold as Zarya and apparently our Genji is bad(idk if he was, helped me cap the point after all) and so we cap the first point in overtime, but don't make it much further as they hold us at the first gate and said Genji decides it's time to play Bastion.

:||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah the weirdest behavior I find is that people somehow always turn to bastion in desperation. always.

Not the 2nd healer or 2nd tank that we could need.

Always bastion.

Jarate

Banned
Things I salivate when I play Zarya

Zenyatta
Pharah (to an extent)
D. Va (This is the greatest match up in the history of the world. If you see that D. Va, that's free ult for you baby
D. Va's Ult (Free 500-100 charge)
Junkrat spamming grenades (free 50 power)
A Winston attacking all your healers

Farewell

game will turn into a witch hunt eventually, and almost sounds like it is on blizzards actual forum

Reaper has been dodging it for awhile. He will be on the chopping block soon too.

Yea not bad that was like a 55-60ish range I think under the old system. You seemed pretty into it in the free weekend thread. Personally Im cycling throw 2 Shooters this holiday season this and CoD4 (GCU lowers Infinite Warfare down to 60 so Im taking the plunge plus IW looks ...."ok").

I knew the game hooked me when after the beta I felt the "itch" to play and was thinking about it often along with different hero match ups. If that's you in a few days you might as well join in man

Game is really addicting and so many characters are fun to play, i hadn't the time to try them all in the free weekend.
I think overwatch and battlefield 1 will keep me busy for a long time.
Initially it was titanfall 2 too, but the beta impressions were just not good for my taste.

finalflame

I could do that as well, but you do realize she writes on the competitive OW scene right? She's up to date on this shit and talks to pro players too.

You probably didn't mean it that way but the 'actual pro players' thing did read as a bit dismissive to me.

Oh, no I wasn't aware of that. Definitely did not mean to be dismissive, was just not aware. I thought she was just another GAFfer who played the game. Any links to her material? Always down to read more competitive OW stuff.

Things I salivate when I play Zarya

Zenyatta
Pharah (to an extent)
D. Va (This is the greatest match up in the history of the world. If you see that D. Va, that's free ult for you baby
D. Va's Ult (Free 500-100 charge)
Junkrat spamming grenades (free 50 power)
A Winston attacking all your healers

Unless you're not able to slowly move to cover before her ult lands on your head, and your barrier is down.

The rest is spot-on, though. But I'm not really a fan of Pharahs. Most smart ones stay out of range of my beam.

Antiwhippy

I was stuck in Plat hell fam, and i also play a mean Zarya as well.

But whenever I play Roadhog, I just go into those Zaryas. You bait out her bubble and you hook her blast her etc...

I mean that's pretty much how you fight zarya. Like I'll go ham as mei against zarya if I see her bubble on cooldown but people seem to think that zarya is a mei counter somehow.

That's why I don't think zarya necessarily needs a direct nerf to her toolkit because there are ways to play around it. Just needs a bit more counterplay because She pushes out more characters than the character that pushes her out.

Oh, no I wasn't aware of that. Definitely did not mean to be dismissive, was just not aware. I thought she was just another GAFfer who played the game. Any links to her material? Always down to read more competitive OW stuff.

She posts here fairly frequently. She's definitely legit and her write-ups are like a day before I see the same sentiment being echoed somewhere else. Trustworthy for sure.

----
Also, calling mosquitoes harmless? I live in Florida. We have Zika here!!!!

finalflame

I mean that's pretty much how you fight zarya. Like I'll go ham as mei against zarya if I see her bubble on cooldown but people seem to think that zarya is a mei counter somehow.

Yah, she's not. She can maybe 1v1 Mei a bit better than other low mobility heroes due to her bubble, but she's not a hard counter. A number of things have to converge for Zarya to shit on Mei (your barrier is up, your energy is high, Mei's icicle is down).

Mei is one of those characters as Zarya that neither bother me nor excite me. I kill some Meis, and sometimes Meis kill me. It's whatevs.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
That's not how this works. Zarya needs minor adjustments at best. By and large, she is well balanced.

You also might want to qualify your driveby shitposting instead of, well, just driveby shitposting.

image.php

No worries! I figured as much. But yeah, I just didn't see why I should ask them when she has most of the answers anyway lol.

This one is from a couple weeks ago, it is a nice read because she goes in depth on individual performances as well.
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esport...ues-steal-the-esl-overwatch-atlantic-showdown

The reason I don't have an issue with where Zarya is right now is because it actually takes some skill/practice in order to utilize her properly. A bad Zarya is really easy to kill.

Antiwhippy

I feel like she is how mccree is right now. Toolkit is super good and rewards high level play, has limitations that makes sense, so I wouldn't change anything on both of them, but maybe bring some other characters up that can challenge them and diversify the hero pool so that every character is good based on map/team selection/preference. I feel that to make overwatch healthy you need to slowly reduce the amount of characters that are good in every map/team comp, but not by nerfing them directly necessarily.

Of course they tinkered with mccree like crazy to get there though.

finalflame

Clearly you're interested in having an intelligent discussion.

No worries! I figured as much. But yeah, I just didn't see why I should ask them when she has most of the answers anyway lol.

This one is from a couple weeks ago, it is a nice read because she goes in depth on individual performances as well.
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esport...ues-steal-the-esl-overwatch-atlantic-showdown

Nice! Thanks for the link. Will be reading.

I don't agree that she's OP af but this is fucking classic.

Right, because if my avatar is Zarya, I definitely have a vested interest. I play a lot more D.Va than Zarya, as it turns out, and didn't turn up to bitch about the D.Va nerf because it was reasonable and her DM was slightly OP.

Just like D.Va, Zarya will get a minor adjustment if anything. And even if they nerf her into the ground, I'll just go play a different tank. It's not hard.

Moz

I main Zarya, finish every ranked game with four golds without fail. Continuously lose mmr as lvl 25s run around like headless chickens. Much fun.

It wasn't

this is why im not rushing the zarya "fix" because I can't imagine how fucked up it could turn out
Yeah, like, everyone ripped Genji apart and he got over nerfed. The only thing I heard people complain about here was his ult and nothing else. He's still good, but over nerfed(although the trap nerf was needed, as that was kind of unfair).

At this rate, the same thing will happen to Zarya.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah the weirdest behavior I find is that people somehow always turn to bastion in desperation. always.

Not the 2nd healer or 2nd tank that we could need.

Always bastion.
I just couldn't wrap my head around the logic as to why if he was succesful with Zarya and the 3 DPS comp wasn't working he felt it necessary to go back to Reaper and that someone else should tank. As if being a tank is inherently bad??

Tovarisc

Hook is one of the abilities that is very hard to get function right. It has so many moving parts, most of which affected by individual player latencies, so getting it just so may be impossible. Personally I'm just glad I'm not atm being hooked through geometry anymore, bullshit to dodge hook behind e.g. car only to be pulled through fucking thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom