• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought Reinhardt was a Zarya counter. Can pin her easily and she has the lowest health of all the tanks. Then again you don't really want a charge happy Reinhardt.

Nah, Zarya can bully Rein around, and assuming there is a heads up situation Zarya is a pretty big problem for him. She locks down his only ranged move and outranges him. Charge is also easy to avoid.

And yeah, charge happy Reins are never a blessing, haha.

Zarya's barrires are on CD for the most part, though. For every 2 seconds of barrier she has a 10/8 second cooldown. A good hog can just hook during the CD periods. It's not like she ALWAYS has her barriers up.

The "if X is playing with their team" part is true of most heroes. If Rein is playing with his team he's hard to shit on. If D.Va is playing with her team, she's hard to shit on, etc. People will inevitably stray. You see Zaryas get hooked and killed by Hog on pro/semipro/tournament streams all the time. It's a pretty decent counter if you're a competent hog.

If Zarya sees a hog, she's going to keep her barriers for his hooks. Period. I see Zaryas take out Hog on pro streams all the time as well. Plus he's a big target and free ult charge for her graviton.

Zarya's barrires are on CD for the most part, though. For every 2 seconds of barrier she has a 10/8 second cooldown. A good hog can just hook during the CD periods. It's not like she ALWAYS has her barriers up.

The "if X is playing with their team" part is true of most heroes. If Rein is playing with his team he's hard to shit on. If D.Va is playing with her team, she's hard to shit on, etc. People will inevitably stray. You see Zaryas get hooked and killed by Hog on pro/semipro/tournament streams all the time. It's a pretty decent counter if you're a competent hog.

Yah, but Zenyatta is pretty slow/predictable with his movement and easy to hook.
And there's the fact that Zarya can't only save her shields just for the hook, otherwise she is not gonna get much energy. If Roadhog notices this, he will hook a bit less and Zarya will start shielding other people and that's when you strike. As soon as she lets her guard down(which they always do eventually), you can destroy with the hook. If she just pays attention to him the whole time, she won't be getting much energy because Roadhog isn't gonna hook every chance he gets.

finalflame

If Zarya sees a hog, she's going to keep her barriers for his hooks. Period. I see Zaryas take out Hog on pro streams all the time as well. Plus he's a big target and free ult charge for her graviton.

Then arguably the Hog is already countering Zarya if she has to hold on to her shields JUST for his hooks. If she's not using her barriers so she can use them counter his hooks, she's not building any energy, and a 0 energy Zarya is about as good as useless.

And there's the fact that Zarya can't only save her shields just for the hook, otherwise she is not gonna get much energy. If Roadhog notices this, he will hook a bit less and Zarya will start shielding other people and that's when you strike. As soon as she lets her guard down(which they always do eventually), you can destroy with the hook. If she just pays attention to him the whole time, she won't be getting much energy because Roadhog isn't gonna hook every chance he gets.

+1, basically what I said before reading it.

Fmxbdsbajxbbs
HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THIS HANAMURA PLAY
AHSHDfdvb

https://clips.twitch.tv/zenwayproductions/CarefulGoldfishGingerPower
����������������������

Saw it, and it was neat, but it's the kind of thing which works once. Everyone at higher level play will have seen this and be expecting it, or the attacking team will have their head way too far up their ass to pull it off.

Those announcers are insanely annoying though, my god.

Right but without his hook roadhog is useless. Zarya without charge still does some decent damage. And keep in mind that average RH hook acc is 50%, so even if you don't have a barrier to contend with, you still have to actually hit the hook. I fail to see how this matchup is not a lock for Zarya. She still has her personal Barrier to gather energy with as well. I don't think it's fair to assume that a Roadhog will hit all his hooks in a matchup like this when, in all my time playing, I have never seen a Roadhog able to do so.

NinjaBoiX

Does the game need to be open to install? Like, can I suspend it and watch some Netflix while it installs in the background?

PS4

finalflame

Right but without his hook roadhog is useless. Zarya without charge still does some decent damage. And keep in mind that average RH hook acc is 50%, so even if you don't have a barrier to contend with, you still have to actually hit the hook. I fail to see how this matchup is not a lock for Zarya. She still has her personal Barrier to gather energy with as well. I don't think it's fair to assume that a Roadhog will hit all his hooks in a matchup like this when, in all my time playing, I have never seen a Roadhog able to do so.

Roadhog can still do great damage with his mid-range and short-range blasts. A well timed and well ranged shrapnel bomb can destroy a 200hp hero in one hit. A projectile bomb cannot.

Roadhog can still do great damage with his mid-range and short-range blasts. A well timed and well ranged shrapnel bomb can destroy a 200hp hero in one hit. A projectile bomb cannot.

Ehh... but there is a consistency factor going on there.

Doing solid damage with Roadhog sans hook isn't easy.

Sure it CAN be done, but it's not something you depend on.

Right, but without his hook you can just stay out of the sweet spot on that, which is pretty easy to do. If you are playing RH and you can't use your hooks, you are only feeding the enemy team ult%. Roadhog is there to get picks. If you can't reliably do that, he is shut down. If Zarya plays with no charge, but Roadhog gets no picks, the Zarya's team should win due to ult advantage alone.

Jellie

If a Zarya get's hooked she's most likely dead even if she gets a bubble on herself unless its a short range hook so she can get back to her team. She's out of position, lacks mobility and will be focused down by the rest of the team.

finalflame

Ehh... but there is a consistency factor going on there.

Doing solid damage with Roadhog sans hook isn't easy.

Sure it CAN be done, but it's not something you depend on.

Doing solid damage as a 0 energy Zarya is also not doable. I dunno, no matter how you try to frame this Zarya vs. Roadhog matchup, the counter seems to clearly be on Roadhog's side. His gun does way more damage, even if you have to forego the hook.

Realistically, no Zarya saves all her barriers for Roadhog hook, so you will have windows to hook her. Not only that, but you can be a sneaky roadhog flanker with relative success. This is how I see most good Roadhog players play.

Right, but without his hook you can just stay out of the sweet spot on that, which is pretty easy to do. If you are playing RH and you can't use your hooks, you are only feeding the enemy team ult%. Roadhog is there to get picks. If you can't reliably do that, he is shut down.

Again, these purely theoretical scenarios don't really advance the conversation IMO. Zaryas do not save all their barriers for Roadhog hook when there is a Roadhog around, and Roadhog can still get a jump on Zarya.

If we're talking 1 on 1. I'd say Roadhog beats Zarya.

Yah, but further, I think if we're talking in a team matchup, and we must designate a tank to counter Zarya, then Roadhog is it. On that same note, I don't find it important that every tank have another tank as a counter. There are other classes in the game that make this unimportant.

Doing solid damage as a 0 energy Zarya is also not doable. I dunno, no matter how you try to frame this Zarya vs. Roadhog matchup, the counter seems to clearly be on Roadhog's side. His gun does way more damage, even if you have to forego the hook.

Realistically, no Zarya saves all her barriers for Roadhog hook, so you will have windows to hook her. Not only that, but you can be a sneaky roadhog flanker with relative success. This is how I see most good Roadhog players play.

If we're talking 1 on 1. I'd say Roadhog beats Zarya.

In a situations with both Zarya and Hog at the choke with their teams behind them, it's really a duel to who makes the first mistake.

Zarya has barrier, Hog has the hook. Hog can safely make the first move but he can't just throw it out recklessly if Zarya is being careful or getting charged up from Hog's teammates. If Zarya can get a high charge that hook won't do much, she'll melt the Hog. If Hog gets the hook early and pulls Zarya out of position, he's shreds her.

Again, these purely theoretical scenarios don't really advance the conversation IMO. Zaryas do not save all their barriers for Roadhog hook when there is a Roadhog around, and Roadhog can still get a jump on Zarya.

He can, but he still needs to land a hook that is essentially a coin toss. If roadhog doesn't get hook picks, he's useless. Period. There would be a better choice in that situation. Otherwise your team will lose because the opponents will assuredly have ult advantage due to having a big meaty bullseye to attack all game.

A good Zarya will win against a Roadhog most of the time. Unless Roadhog is getting consistent hooks he can be pretty detrimental to the team as he doesn't have any of the same defensive options as the other tanks. His heal is solid, but he feeds enemy ults like no other.

finalflame

He can, but he still needs to land a hook that is essentially a coin toss. If roadhog doesn't get hook picks, he's useless. Period. There would be a better choice in that situation. Otherwise your team will lose because the opponents will assuredly have ult advantage due to having a big meaty bullseye to attack all game.

He's as useless as a Zarya that can only lob zero-energy projectiles, period. And, again, Zarya's barriers do not hard counter hog. They will go on CD. He will be able to get picks. Only in this theoretical game where Zarya uses no barriers because there's a Roadhog does this scenario of Roadhog being hard countered by her barriers even work. Not to mention the CD on Hog's hook is 6 seconds vs. 10 and 8 seconds on Zarya's ult, meaning he has at least a 2 second window where he's free to hook with no barriers up, even if she's holding on to her hooks.

I think Blizzard balanced the game better than you give them credit for.

DevilDog

Lost 350 points today, 20 points for ranking up, 50 for ranking down. Seems legit. Loss streak is real, I can't seem to find a team that coordinates.

He's as useless as a Zarya that can only lob zero-energy projectiles, period.

No, because Zarya provides less of a target to hit than Hog and has defensive options to deny ult charge. Hog doesn't. The ult fight goes to the team without hog. Numbers wise this always goes in favor of Zarya.

Jellie

For those who have gone through promotion anxiety, any tips? I'm 74 points away from master and getting nervous. Keep putting it off.

Hog can just negate ult charge by hiding behind a Reinhardt shield or coordinating with a zarya to bubble him when he goes to hook.

finalflame

No, because Zarya provides less of a target to hit than Hog and has defensive options to deny ult charge. Hog doesn't. The ult fight goes to the team without hog. Numbers wise this always goes in favor of Zarya.

Conversely, Hog can charge his ult from healing damage taken. So, we're back to square 0.

Conversely, Hog can charge his ult from healing damage taken. So, we're back to square 0.

Not really. Six people getting ult > One. The entirety of the enemy team will get more ult from the Roadhog and his team than yours will just because of how much of an ult battery he is.

finalflame

Not really. Six people getting ult > One. The entirety of the enemy team will get more ult from the Roadhog and his team than yours will just because of how much of an ult battery he is.

You're assuming Roadhog is standing out in the wild and not firing his shrapnel bombs from behind a Rein shield, where he's perfectly safe from most incoming damage.

We can take this hypothetical scenario in a million different directions. Let's just agree to disagree.

You're assuming Roadhog is standing out in the wild and not firing his shrapnel bombs from behind a Rein shield, where he's perfectly safe from most incoming damage.

We can take this hypothetical scenario in a million different directions. Let's just agree to disagree.

Agreed.

Zarya will be nerfed though, and it will be rather soon imo.

finalflame

Agreed.

Zarya will be nerfed though, and it will be rather soon imo.

I guess we'll find out! I, for one, trust Blizzard to make any adjustments necessary based on gameplay analytics, of which I'm sure they have plenty. The spotlight seems to be at last mildly on Zarya now that Genji is under control, so I'm sure they'll consider doing something to her.

NimbusD

Zarya is more of a problem on PC, in my experience. People are able to track a whole lot better with the beam, and she gets 100 charge from one firestrike. So she does a bit too much solo damage when she gets up there. I think it's fine, since her charge depletes so fast, but something is almost certainly in the pipeline for her.

Pretty sure that's not possible. Each bubble has 200 hp, she gets 1 charge for every 4 damage. Anything more than 200 damage breaks the bubble w a max of 50 charge. (if the damage is all at once, the damage will be blocked but won't charge past the hp of the bubble). You need to do two bubbles for full charge, no matter what the cause of damage is.

Jellie

Pretty sure that's not possible. Each bubble has 200 hp, she gets 1 charge for every 4 damage. Anything more than 200 damage breaks the bubble w a max of 50 charge. (if the damage is all at once, the damage will be blocked but won't charge past the hp of the bubble). You need to do two bubbles for full charge, no matter what the cause of damage is.

Stand behind your Reinhardt. Wait for theirs to firestrike. Bubble him and yourself. 100 Charge.

Gorillaz

Zarya nerf talk didn't creep up like this until that last auto aim update. Like I didn't even see her as often as I do now in some many matches so their probably will be some traction to a nerf.

and in blizzard fashion they will throw the baby out with the bathwater and probably over do it

finalflame

We discussed this further up in the page, but I think the idea is if you + a bubbled teammate both get hit by the firestrike, you'll be at 100 charge. It's actually not super easy to pull that off, though, and Rein can just wait for Zarya's barriers to be on CD before firestriking.

Zarya nerf talk didn't creep up like this until that last auto aim update. Like I didn't even see her as often as I do now in some many matches so their probably will be some traction to a nerf.

and in blizzard fashion they will throw the baby out with the bathwater and probably over do it

Or just fix her autoaim on consoles and leave PC alone. Can't balance two different platforms at the same time.

Genji got nerfed, so people need something else to call OP.

Oh, no. I'm on PC. All of this is far, far worse on PC due to tracking skills being far better. You guys prob don't understand how much I actually play Zarya, but I play her quite a bit. I'm not calling her OP because I'm annoyed by her. I do it because she actually is a problem at the moment. She's an outlier compared to the other tanks.

komaruR

W-L-L-L-W-W-W-L-W-W ; 6W:4L SR2627
I shoulda stuck to how I did my placement last season. do it in short burst, ie 1 or 2 games per day.
lol and shoulda stop. the next game we 2up on koth but then 1 leaver or dc when we lost 1 game.
5v6, so painful lol
winning game became a uphill battle.. :(

Farewell

Just played my first 10 ranked matches and the game rated me 2476 points.
Is that a good score?

I will miss this game after the demo ends, but there are just too many good games coming out in short time and i don't know if i should get it.

finalflame

Well yeah, but my point is that everyone will call something OP no matter what.

Yah, the spotlight will always shift. At least it's not as bad on GAF. Blizzard's own forums are a shithole for this kind of stuff (and, well, everything else).

Edit: Anyways, I think the cycle is the same for nerf callouts. Genji had no attention at first because most people had no idea how to play him. As people practiced more and actually got good, his potential became way more apparent across skill levels. Same for Zarya. She is essentially untouched since launch other than the auto-aim fix on consoles, and yet only now are people choosing to complain, most likely because more and more people have chosen to practice and become competent with her.

Gorillaz

game will turn into a witch hunt eventually, and almost sounds like it is on blizzards actual forum

Reaper has been dodging it for awhile. He will be on the chopping block soon too.
Just played my first 10 ranked matches and the game rated me 2476 points.
Is that a good score?

I will miss this game after the demo ends, but there are just too many good games coming out in short time and i don't know if i should get it.

Yea not bad that was like a 55-60ish range I think under the old system. You seemed pretty into it in the free weekend thread. Personally Im cycling throw 2 Shooters this holiday season this and CoD4 (GCU lowers Infinite Warfare down to 60 so Im taking the plunge plus IW looks ...."ok").

I knew the game hooked me when after the beta I felt the "itch" to play and was thinking about it often along with different hero match ups. If that's you in a few days you might as well join in man

Jellie

game will turn into a witch hunt eventually, and almost sounds like it is on blizzards actual forum

Reaper has been dodging it for awhile. He will be on the chopping block soon too.
Reaper is one of the most balanced characters though. Might even be the most balanced.

I think you are wrong there. I don't think this is a witch hunt by any means. Just because bliz hears about heroes being unbalanced in some way doesn't mean that they are going to act on it. They always look at the numbers to back it up as well. The reason why Reaper hasn't been touched is because he is really no more powerful than any of the other Offense heroes. Zarya is pretty arguably the strongest tank and synergizes with just about any comp a bit too much at the moment.

antitrop

On a 4 game win streak playing Support. Feels good. I made #926 Mercy on Overbuff.

Pretty happy with how this season has been going.

7WgRHGd.png

Ertai

You know what needs nerfing? Hanzo's scattershot. Oh yeah, and Roadhog's hook. I always underestimate the range and effectiveness of that thing, and it's a guaranteed death nowadays with the majority of the heroes.

Fuck Roadhog and fuck Hanzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom