• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Tired of this man. Putting in work getting no love, while mercy since this last patch gets rez of the game every 4 seconds

THESE BOOST DONT COME FREE PLAYBOI GIVE ME THE POTG

I count all the potgs that features my team getting boosted as my PotG.

Anne

There's a lot that goes into playing around your DPS. You could have Taimou on your team and he could deal no damage if his team doesn't set him up for it. There are a lot of shit DPS players, but if they're in their skill bracket then you have to try and enable the carry best you can.

ZangBa

That feeling when your team of randoms stomp 2 groups of 3, so good. The matchmaking will actively fuck solo queuers, but winning those matches sure feels good.

Antiwhippy

That feeling when your team of randoms stomp 2 groups of 3, so good. The matchmaking will actively fuck solo queuers, but winning those matches sure feels good.

As someone who often gets grouped with 5 stacks when I solo Q lemme tell you.

Just because they're in a group doesn't necessarily mean they're co-ordinated.

As someone who often gets grouped with 5 stacks when I solo Q lemme tell you.

Just because they're in a group doesn't necessarily mean they're co-ordinated.
This. I had a team of 4 on my team and their team.

My team of 4 were all scattered and died instantly.

Their team of 4 were always together and wrecked our faces.

Not every team is going to be good. There are plenty of teams of 6s who will lose to 6 randoms.

Skii

Did my 5th placement match with Reaper and it was just beautiful. It was on Hanumura and our Mercy was just an absolute star. She actually understood how DPS engage/disengage and enabled me to completely ruin everyone on the first point. The team actually understood that we had a massive advantage after I took out Reinhardt. It felt so good. We rush second point almost immediately and I don't even need to use death blossom the entire push.

Defence was just beautiful as well. The Mercy again just understood what I was trying to do. I'd peep out of the choke point if 4 people died to get the extra kill and stagger the approach. I'd get heavily damaged of course but she'd be there to heal me as I retreated with wraith form. I basically rinsed and repeated giving me a 20 kill streak on defence and we held the first point with no problems.

Man I'll never have such a beautiful game in solo queue ever again.

Belfast

Blizz needs a more complicated algorithm for their POTG, at least make some that assess certain possible conditions such as who contributed most to a "final push" of the payload or something.

I really enjoyed the free weekend, but hearing shit like this is a major turnoff, especially since i have zero interest in competitive play, metagames or whatever the fuck. Even in Quick Matches? Why? What happened to fun? Blizzard shouldn't allow their game to cater to people like this.

Maybe I should just stick to Splatoon. This is why when people say "lol no voice chat" or "lol not balanced for true competitive play" I can only think, halle-fuckin-lujah.

I just picked up the game a week and a half ago on PC. I saw an ad for it at a movie trailer (Star Wars maybe?) and it caught my eye but having played multiplayer shooters for so long now and seeing how disrespectful others can get playing these kinds of games I didn't really want to get back into that. I'd had enough of people complaining about the class I was playing in TF2. I never switched classes to troll people but to try something new and try to get better at it. Mann vs. Machine mode got really bad with randoms after a while and I swore it off.

I'd been sticking to Splatoon for the same reasons you mentioned. After putting up with so much abuse from communities of so many games, it was nice to be able to hop on a game and just play with almost no harassment. Well, except for some squidkidders but they're usually just making themselves a target by making all that racket and it's certainly not as bad as text/mic harassment.

But hearing how Blizzard was being aggressive with cheaters and putting in filters for profanity and stuff like "gg ez" made me reconsider and I bought it. So far in Overwatch (I'm only level 18) I've mostly just seen people just try to get by the "easy" filters in text chat and occasional "you all suck" and I've never even heard anybody on mic. But if this is how it is at the upper levels then yeah, that's really disappointing.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Was having a chill night of quick play and decided to play Zarya last match...

screenshot_16-09-12_2iiui9.jpg

Pretty intense round of Dorado woke me up, lol.

Antiwhippy

I mean you get a range. There was this match where a hanzo player was being a sexist dipshit on voice chat to a female player in our group but the rest of us gave him shit for it.

matmanx1

Was having a chill night of quick play and decided to play Zarya last match...

Pretty intense round of Dorado woke me up, lol.

Very nice!

I had a Dorado Quick Play with Zarya earlier that went really well on attack also. We had a Roadhog and I really like that combo with Zarya. I didn't get nearly as many elims as you did (18? maybe?) but only died 4 times and we pushed the cart really quickly. Finished with 41% avg energy and 10 high energy kills so things went well.

There's a lot that goes into playing around your DPS. You could have Taimou on your team and he could deal no damage if his team doesn't set him up for it. There are a lot of shit DPS players, but if they're in their skill bracket then you have to try and enable the carry best you can.

True, but at my mmr there's only so much you can do if your DPS is dead set on just flanking and feeding all the time.

tocry.png

i am actually shocked at how bad the matchmaking has been for me

i can't carry these teams hard enough

I feel the same way at times when I hop into solo q quick play.

I sit there and just wonder..."I know I kinda suck but am I really that bad?" "I mean really bruh?"

sadbron2.png

aeolist

Banned
I feel the same way at times when I hop into solo q quick play.

I sit there and just wonder..."I know I kinda suck but am I really that bad?" "I mean really bruh?"

sadbron2.png

i'm pretty sure i'm not that bad because i consistently do more work than anyone else on the team

my pattern for the last week is initially getting stomped, solo teamwiping into a comeback, and barely losing while getting 3-4 golds

it's actually the worst way to lose i can think of

Scirrocco

i am actually shocked at how bad the matchmaking has been for me

i can't carry these teams hard enough

Take a break. Let the bads tank their ratings and hopefully when you come back they'll be below your ranking.

Unless you're talking about quick play then I guess your screwed.

aeolist

Banned
Take a break. Let the bads tank their ratings and hopefully when you come back they'll be below your ranking.

Unless you're talking about quick play then I guess your screwed.

this is actually good advice for next time but i think i've lost too much rank to make s2 at all worthwhile

ZangBa

3 days stuck in the 2700 SR purgatory, 2791 is my highest. Win 2 games, lose 1 game, win 1 game, lose 2 games. Feels like I will be stuck here forever.

Anne

the idea that you'll eventually end up at a rank representative of your true skill is predicated on the assumption that the matchmaking and ranking systems are doing their jobs

i'm not sure i believe that's true for this game

I climbed from the mid 50s to the 70s solo queue in S1 no problem at all running DPS/Tank. I think there are problems where the middle areas are too dense and a bit random, but you can beat the odds. The system is doing a pretty decent job. The only thing really worth complaining about this density near the middle, but that's not something thats gonna keep a good player locked down.

Even if we have to carry your Hanzo <3

(You still carry us with him though, let's be real)

Gimme a week and that'll actually be true. I might be on in a bit btw.

how does watching this help anything?
Ideally it lessens the amount of solo queue whining posts in this thread which is more than half at this point. But yea that probably won't happen because obviously everyone is at least 1000 levels better than their level indicates and it's the games fault they are ranked where they are.

Back to complaining I guess. I don't think anyone actually cares to find out why they aren't winning when they feel like they should be.

Ideally it lessens the amount of solo queue whining posts in this thread which is more than half at this point. But yea that probably won't happen because obviously everyone is at least 1000 levels better than their level indicates and it's the games fault they are ranked where they are.

Back to complaining I guess. I don't think anyone actually cares to find out why they aren't winning when they feel like they should be.
I mean, I don't solo queue, but I got top 500 last season by only duo queueing, and this season I can't even get to Diamond rank. I definitely don't feel that this is where I should be, I definitely feel like I'm waaaay better than Platinum rank :/

But I agree, some people just need to accept that they are where they are supposed to be, although some people do end up getting screwed over.

There are many people who are pure Solo Q and still end up going up the ranks quite well, yet others don't.

Can it be luck? Sure. But there's obviously something the successful players are doing right that others aren't.

Antiwhippy

I do think being a good DPS does increase your chances, because that's a clear difference at the lower levels.

Though I don't even know anymore, because on Overbuff I see that my DPS stats seem pretty good, but I only have like a 20% WR as DPS. Only 4 games as a sample size, but still.

I mean, I don't solo queue, but I got top 500 last season by only duo queueing, and this season I can't even get to Diamond rank. I definitely don't feel that this is where I should be, I definitely feel like I'm waaaay better than Platinum rank :/

But I agree, some people just need to accept that they are where they are supposed to be, although some people do end up getting screwed over.
2936. You're so close!

It's been rough but the season also just started. Whereas Blizzard was kind to people who started in the 2700's or so and then tanked to below 2500 and still got to keep their platinum rank. You've done the opposite, and what I'm sure has felt like forever has only been a couple weeks and youre pretty much there. And maybe you'll do better in the diamond bracket and get top 500 again.

I think your example proves my point more than it disproves it.

I do think being a good DPS does increase your chances, because that's a clear difference at the lower levels.

Though I don't even know anymore, because on Overbuff I see that my DPS stats seem pretty good, but I only have like a 20% WR as DPS. Only 4 games as a sample size, but still.
20% win rate with only 4 games played &#129300;

There are many people who are pure Solo Q and still end up going up the ranks quite well, yet others don't.

Can it be luck? Sure. But there's obviously something the successful players are doing right that others aren't.
I mean, I did it in S1. Went from 43 at one point to 57 with a lot of solo queue and some duo/trio. I only played 29 hours in S1, but I always felt I could go higher even with occasional bad games or bad beats.

This season it was more or less the same deal. Was placed at around 49, climbed to near 57 (SR2825?) again with little trouble. And then, in the last three days, I've just got pummeled, no matter how well I do individually.

I am usually an extremely positive, non-toxic player, and I quit after two or three defeats to avoid tilting, but matchmaking is just punishing right now, and it was so tempting to just bitch in chat tonight. I fell like 300+ SR in a couple of days playing almost no solo queue, and now I can't get above 2600. And it doesn't help that the community is horrible down here. Just mean and angry all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom