• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm officially confused. I said fuck it and decided to try some solo que. I've actually done slightly better than with groups. What is this madness?

I also had a 6 round game on Volksaya that ended in a draw. What a giant waste of like 30 minutes that was.

I've also decided 3 cp is a stupid reward for a draw. For it to matter you'll have to get 4 draws (12 cp) and for you to finally get an round number you'll have to have 10 draws. Ick.

JccPX9W.jpg

Ugh, so much for Solo Competitive treating me well. Nights like this make me wonder if I've hit my skill ceiling sometimes, and that high Gold is the best I'm ever going to do. Hopefully I just had a bad run, but these nights where it seems like no character I pick is working are just the worst.

These gains are pitiful. 5-1 and I've only gone up 50. The game must really think I belong right where I am and I'm getting lucky solo queue (which I wouldn't necessarily dispute tbh.)

I maintain Mei's ult buff was a mistake. It really shouldn't be so wide. Maybe make it smaller again, but freeze faster or something. It's such an asspull for denying a capture, especially when you're facing more than one of them.
I've denied so many teams a win at the last second by using that ult already, love it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lucio still the unsung support hero.

Getting picks with the tickle gun.

Booping bitches off the point.

Properly dropping the beat offensively and defensively, sound barriers out my ass.

Contesting the objective in overtime for extended periods of time.

Or just chilling in the back healing all 5 of my teammates.

i9bASoY.gif

98th percentile lucio on pc b o i s

These gains are pitiful. 5-1 and I've only gone up 50. The game must really think I belong right where I am and I'm getting lucky solo queue (which I wouldn't necessarily dispute tbh.)

I honestly feel like if I stayed out of competitive for a month, I'd fly up the ranks afterwards. The way they compress the ranks means the ceiling is lower and the competition is harder than it should be.

Lucio still the unsung support hero.

Getting picks with the tickle gun.

Booping bitches off the point.

Properly dropping the beat offensively and defensively, sound barriers out my ass.

Contesting the objective in overtime for extended periods of time.

Or just chilling in the back healing all 5 of my teammates.

i9bASoY.gif

98th percentile lucio on pc b o i s

Really, if you want to win games, just go Lucio and be good with him. Sadly in my case, I don't really have a choice but to pick Lucio...

I'm becoming a Lucio main not out of choice but out of necessity =(

Nero397

I just played a competitive game starting out as McCree in the first two rounds, in which my team lost both. Our healer switched to Roadhog so then I took role of the healer by switching to Lucio and just that won us the next 3 rounds and the game. I always like how small things can have such a large effect on the outcome of a game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Really, if you want to win games, just go Lucio and be good with him. Sadly in my case, I don't really have a choice but to pick Lucio...

I'm becoming a Lucio main not out of choice but out of necessity =(

Eh depends really. I truly believe that if you're real good at ana she can be a main healer. You have to be good though, and that doesn't just mean learning to aim, but also learning to balance attack/offense, sleep dart targetting, situational awareness, etc. etc. I'm nowhere near there yet, but I find learning it pretty satisfying.

Lucio is the easier choice but there are a lot of other satisfying characters to play on support.

If you truly feel obligated to play support try branching out to all of them.

Eh depends really. I truly believe that if you're real good at ana she can be a main healer. You have to be good though, and that doesn't just mean learning to aim, but also learning to balance attack/offense, sleep dart targetting, situational awareness, etc. etc. I'm nowhere near there yet, but I find learning it pretty satisfying.

Lucio is the easier choice but there are a lot of other satisfying characters to play on support.

If you truly feel obligated to play support try branching out to all of them.

Actually I think the fastest way to Platinum and maybe even Diamond is to just be a good support. Because no one picks them, if you're able to keep your team alive thats already better than if you weren't there.

I'd love to use Ana always in comp, but my Lucio is definitely more effective at winning games atm. But I try to use Ana when I can.

Yeah, I really don't play much DPS on comp

Rad-

Yeah I think the game does this for me as well. When I hit 3000 my gains have slowed down a lot. Few days ago I got 8-0 win streak and in those 8 wins I only got ~200 sr points. I feel like I need to have constant ~70% win rate with a lot of games played to ever achieve master and that's hard.

Yeah I think the game does this for me as well. When I hit 3000 my gains have slowed down a lot. Few days ago I got 8-0 win streak and in those 8 wins I only got ~200 sr points. I feel like I need to have constant ~70% win rate with a lot of games played to ever achieve master and that's hard.
Yea. Seems like we're right where we belong.

Could be worse.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
GG weekly this week is pretty damn great, especially tempo storm vs kongdoo. Roadhog clinics, the return of pharmercy battles.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Think I found my new main.

I've always avoided Reaper because he's too much of an edgelord to appeal to me, but damn can he put out the damage. This particular game was a Lijiang Tower game where we lost the first 2 rounds then rallied and won 3 in a row. Heart pounding stuff.

Rad-

Oh they finally fixed Overbuff. It says I'm #255 Zen and #268 McCree so okay. My stats in general seem worse than last season but my win rate is much better so it's all good.

duckroll

I think I will stop playing Overwatch extensively until I am done with Cold Steel and Cold Steel 2. Maybe by then, Sombra will be out. :p

Nimby

Banned
Lost a game cause we had a Bastion main

To be fair, attack Bastion on Dorado is fine up until the first point. He never switched, not even on defense :(

Haha. Playing mostly support really opens your eyes to how disjointed and maligned alot of players are.

I'm not saying I'm some god tier player, I'm not, I know my faults, I painfully know them.
But there are matches you know you'll lose instantly only after a minute or 2 of just observing your team.

sass1.png

Usually determined by how many inches they are from the enemy spawn when the match starts. Every team I played with tonight (Route 66 and Anubis) wanted to Spawn Battle. That's a long walk back, boys. Meanwhile my Rein is shielded up at the arches, with a lone Zen keeping me company. I don't get it.

Rad-

OMG this 3T 3S concept is so good.

You can't even transcend through it because ana is a hard counter to it.

We tried it and it generally works well but its weakness seem to be when the enemy team has a lot of longer range dps heroes (McCree, Hanzo, Pharah etc.). I wonder if it works even better if you change Lucio to let's say Soldier. He has aoe healing ability but also now you have some added mid range damage.

For this reason it also seems to work better in koth maps (generally shorter range battles).

I just picked up the game a week and a half ago on PC. I saw an ad for it at a movie trailer (Star Wars maybe?) and it caught my eye but having played multiplayer shooters for so long now and seeing how disrespectful others can get playing these kinds of games I didn't really want to get back into that. I'd had enough of people complaining about the class I was playing in TF2. I never switched classes to troll people but to try something new and try to get better at it. Mann vs. Machine mode got really bad with randoms after a while and I swore it off.

I'd been sticking to Splatoon for the same reasons you mentioned. After putting up with so much abuse from communities of so many games, it was nice to be able to hop on a game and just play with almost no harassment. Well, except for some squidkidders but they're usually just making themselves a target by making all that racket and it's certainly not as bad as text/mic harassment.

But hearing how Blizzard was being aggressive with cheaters and putting in filters for profanity and stuff like "gg ez" made me reconsider and I bought it. So far in Overwatch (I'm only level 18) I've mostly just seen people just try to get by the "easy" filters in text chat and occasional "you all suck" and I've never even heard anybody on mic. But if this is how it is at the upper levels then yeah, that's really disappointing.

Splatoon is great, really relaxing. Also helps me teach me son about raging after a loss before he gets a mic (and oh, how he rages). But what is a Squidkidder?

Blizzard

Banned
Has the percentile stuff finally been updated to track stats or whatnot? A month or two back when I looked at it, people kept claiming it only tracked playtime or only people who checked themselves, instead of being an accurate picture of all competitive players.

PatjuhR

Yesterday I played a game with randoms and we had a person who was dishing out roles. Which is fine for me, when they make sense.

He asked for a Mei on that new maps defense, and somebody picked Mei in assembling teams, but switched out just before the game started. The role-caller didn't notice and spent the first few minutes of the game screaming through the headset for Mei to group-up with him, becoming more and more aggressive the longer it took. Then when he noticed we didn't have one anymore he screams at a widow maker he/she should pick Mei, without success and angering him even more.

Finally, he decided he'd go Mei himself and he was the best Mei I ever played with. The attackers where in no time to the door to the castle, but there he switched to Mei and they didn't go an inch further.

LiK

Yesterday I played a game with randoms and we had a person who was dishing out roles. Which is fine for me, when they make sense.

He asked for a Mei on that new maps defense, and somebody picked Mei in assembling teams, but switched out just before the game started. The role-caller didn't notice and spent the first few minutes of the game screaming through the headset for Mei to group-up with him, becoming more and more aggressive the longer it took. Then when he noticed we didn't have one anymore he screams at a widow maker he/she should pick Mei, without success and angering him even more.

Finally, he decided he'd go Mei himself and he was the best Mei I ever played with. The attackers where in no time to the door to the castle, but there he switched to Mei and they didn't go an inch further.

What was he playing beforehand? Should've just played Mei himself from the start. I don't mind people suggesting roles but people yelling about it to strangers only makes things worse.

PatjuhR

What was he playing beforehand? Should've just played Mei himself from the start. I don't mind people suggesting roles but people yelling about it to strangers only makes things worse.

I'm trying to remember, but I can't. I know he was a tank, because I switched to tank when he switched.

I had the possibility to switch, but I never really played Mei before, so that didn't really look like a good idea to me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, when we got that 8th win I got 70 points which broke me into diamond when I thought for sure I was 2 games away. It seems like the win streak did a lot to really pull ahead but it's insanely hard to consistently pull that off.

LiK

I'm trying to remember, but I can't. I know he was a tank, because I switched to tank when he switched.

I had the possibility to switch, but I never really played Mei before, so that didn't really look like a good idea to me.

Yea, when people tell people to play a specific hero, it might not even be that person's best hero. They should just do it themselves.

See even overbuff now says you are the better tracer.
My tracer is 437, zarya is 237 and Lucio is 330. Nothing in the 100s yet 😞
My Tracer was awesome getting me from platinum to diamond. But I've been pretty much all Zen lately and a bit of Zarya. Getting put into games with a bunch of masters I never want to take the DPS slot from one of them. I suck with Lucio and Mercy, so Zen is usually the pick. He's actually a ton of fun, and I've been shooting up the ranks with him. Even if I could play Tracer, I think I might get pummeled in the 3300's and above.

PatjuhR

Btw, how do they count wins and losses to characters on the stats sites?

Does a win or loss only count for your starting hero or how does it work? Because I swear I switched to a Hanzo in a round we lost already, but I didn't took a loss for it.

ZangBa

Down 2-0 KotH, give up, pick Torb because why not. Proceed to win 3 straight with gold medals in elims and damage. I guess some things never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom