• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I mean, I don't solo queue, but I got top 500 last season by only duo queueing, and this season I can't even get to Diamond rank. I definitely don't feel that this is where I should be, I definitely feel like I'm waaaay better than Platinum rank :/

But I agree, some people just need to accept that they are where they are supposed to be, although some people do end up getting screwed over.

Duo/trio definitely has an advantage, especially if that's even further coordinated so you have a dedicated dps/healer/tank.

Solo has its ups and downs but the worst is when it pits double 3 stacks against you. That is just not fair at all, even if it can still be winnable.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
20% win rate with only 4 games played 🤔

I don't trust myself to DPS honestly. Also because everyone locks up DPS at the start.

Also I just like playing supports and tanks more.

S1 I mostly queued by myself only. I sometimes queued with friends but that was actually more of a liability than solo q so I decided to climb by myself.

Alright, fair enough. Sometimes it's hard to tell when people regularly talk about running gaf trains, though I think that's more on the PS4 side.

2936. You're so close!

It's been rough but the season also just started. Whereas Blizzard was kind to people who started in the 2700's or so and then tanked to below 2500 and still got to keep their platinum rank. You've done the opposite, and what I'm sure has felt like forever has only been a couple weeks and youre pretty much there. And maybe you'll do better in the diamond bracket and get top 500 again.

I think your example proves my point more than it disproves it.
Hopefully I can win my next two or three games so I can get there. Hopefully ;_;
i agree with all your points though. 10 games is just not enough to place someone.

aeolist

Banned
i'm 10 levels lower than i ever was in season 1 and the quality of play in my games is noticeability worse

maybe it's a statistical anomaly, that's definitely possible, but the system also seems badly designed and that is contributing for sure

I fully believe it's knowing and playing your role.

If a player isn't playing the role that is expected of that character then they're a hindrance. If a Reaper clears the point and no one goes on it. Who's fault is it? The reaper or the rest of the team for not taking advantage of the situation. If a 76 has been killing everyone but the enemy Pharah above, who has been devastating his own team and avoided the 76 for hitscan reasons, then it's obvious who's not playing their role.

Also, people need to stop playing competitive when you're on a losing streak. Your play will plummet. Emotions cloud the performance. Only play competitive when you know you can perform 100% with a clear mind. If you're tired, skip it. If you've had a bad day, skip it. You're not going to help anyone when you tunnel vision on targets because you're pissed off.

Anne

Alright, fair enough. Sometimes it's hard to tell when people regularly talk about running gaf trains, though I think that's more on the PS4 side.

Yeah, if I say solo I mean it. It's not that I want to solo queue even, just at the time it was my only option because the better friends I had all played customs at the time.

My views on the ranked system are pretty based in what I experienced with others. I feel like the next few seasons are going to be like CSGO where some people were artificially inflated from season to season and can't maintain rank when the algorithm is tweaked slightly.

Also, while I'm on the subject, matchmaking on consoles is going to be worse for a couple reasons. Mostly the fact that the ladder on console has a lot less meaning and player population. I have no doubt in my mind the less competitive player base combined with the lower population is really fucking with people.

Kito

I'm done.

6bPYSHV.jpg

This illustrates my point that Mercy and Lucio are an obsolete, game-losing support pair (unless you have a godly dps player). That duo was good when Zen was 150hp and Ana didn't exist. Now there are better options.

Every time I see Mercy and Lucio on the enemy team all I think is free points and I always get them.

xaosslug

Ideally it lessens the amount of solo queue whining posts in this thread which is more than half at this point. But yea that probably won't happen because obviously everyone is at least 1000 levels better than their level indicates and it's the games fault they are ranked where they are.

Back to complaining I guess. I don't think anyone actually cares to find out why they aren't winning when they feel like they should be.

no, but I am genuinely curious how a video about gold medals and bad team composition is helpful? If anything the video shows that yes - sometimes you get stuck with bad teammates... and lo and behold: you LOSE. -__-

no, but I am genuinely curious how a video about gold medals and bad team composition is helpful? If anything the video shows that yes - sometimes you get stuck with bad teammates... and lo and behold: you LOSE. -__-
Unless I posted the wrong video. But the one I'm thinking of he basically starts off saying 'quit bitching about your teammates.'

This illustrates my point that Mercy and Lucio are an obsolete, game-losing support pair (unless you have a godly dps player). That duo was good when Zen was 150hp and Ana didn't exist. Now there are better options.

Every time I see Mercy and Lucio on the enemy team all I think is free points and I always get them.
How is that a bad support combo? Seems very good.

Also, I really see no problem wit that screenshot. He had a legit comp. Zarya, Winston, McCree, and those two supports. Plus, the game was 13 minutes long, so it must've been somewhat close.

Kito

How is that a bad support combo? Seems very good.

It's solo queue and you're most likely going to get mediocre dps players. You lose significant damage output with Mercy and Lucio together, and risk healing a McCree with shit aim. Either can be swapped for Ana or Zen (or Sym on defence) to maintain good damage.

Edit: If you look at that screenshot again, Zarya has gold damage. A tank should be bronze and no higher if dps are doing their job. This means that Mercy and Lucio were giving all those heals to a dud McCree.

Gorillaz

Ive been telling people anna trumps mercy unless your hooked to the hip with a good ass player. Yea mercy has her rez but I would take a constant boost over a twice a game rez. Plus her sleeper dart allows stall time for you

antitrop

I just had new craziest game of my career, topping that previous one on Eichenwalde. It was a 30 minute match on King's Row, final score of 7-7, with us stopping them just shy of the final destination for the most satisfying W I've had in the game yet. Also brought me a new Season High of 2775, edging ever closer to Diamond.

On our second attack round, we had a minute left and managed to cap A and push the payload to the very end in complete overtime, without the cart stopping once. It was just a ridiculous game. Both teams got 3 attacks, so we all kinda sucked at defense. :p

There are many people who are pure Solo Q and still end up going up the ranks quite well, yet others don't.

Can it be luck? Sure. But there's obviously something the successful players are doing right that others aren't.

Reached top 500 in Season 1 from Solo Queuing. In fact, reached position #182 from Solo Queuing.

Those of you that have played with me know I'm not the best. I think I'm pretty good, but there is more going on that just being to play well. Adaptability is crazy important at higher levels.

Knowing when to switch, who to switch to, and who to target first are crazy important. Hell, even knowing HOW to walk becomes important. It's the culmination of a lot of little things that help you climb the ladder.

I am never going to get the Huge Rez trophy.

Get both Symmetra trophies in like 20 minutes of play, still struggling to get the second for Mercy after 9 hours.

I just had new craziest game of my career, topping that previous one on Eichenwalde. It was a 30 minute match on King's Row, final score of 7-7, with us stopping them just shy of the final destination for the most satisfying W I've had in the game yet. Also brought me a new Season High of 2775, edging ever closer to Diamond.

On our second attack round, we had a minute left and managed to cap A and push the payload to the very end in complete overtime, without the cart stopping once. It was just a ridiculous game. Both teams got 3 attacks, so we all kinda sucked at defense. :p

What do you mean 7-7?

How does that work? What mode is that?

Rekindled my long lost love Lucio and won 5 matches in a row tonight to finally get my SR back to a reasonable level (around 2620, down from my season high of 2702).

Lucio I don't know why I left you.

Dartastic

Welp that went well for a competitive match. Managed to coordinate with a pharah who had ult, and I jumped in and used Zarya's to give us the advantage. Almost got a team wipe. :)

Kito

Ive been telling people anna trumps mercy unless your hooked to the hip with a good ass player. Yea mercy has her rez but I would take a constant boost over a twice a game rez. Plus her sleeper dart allows stall time for you

The trouble with Ana is you need a Reinhardt or Reaper to boost. If no one feels like playing those heroes you're SOL. Stacking boost with a Roadhog ult for example is cool and all, but I strongly believe any ult kills would've been just as possible without boost.

Antiwhippy

I only like playing lucio on KotH because people are pretty much forced to do team fights there so I can actually use speedboost.

Also boops.

Xyber

I climbed from the mid 50s to the 70s solo queue in S1 no problem at all running DPS/Tank. I think there are problems where the middle areas are too dense and a bit random, but you can beat the odds. The system is doing a pretty decent job. The only thing really worth complaining about this density near the middle, but that's not something thats gonna keep a good player locked down.

But the thing is, it still comes down a lot to luck if you get a team that can play their role good and don't get pissy when people try to change up the team if it isn't working. I've been stuck around the 3k mark for quite some time now because I keep getting teams where people throw games intentionally (had a total of 5 of them during one night), they go 3 DPS and then don't actually get any kills, refuses to change character etc.

I can do pretty good as a DPS, but in solo queue I don't get to play it often because that's usually what gets picked first and if 3 people lock in DPS it ends up with me changing to tank or support because the others refuse. And then they end up not getting any kills anyway. It's always fun to see a DPS complain that the other DPS is garbage and then I look at my stats as a support and see I have gold eliminations with 8 kills as lucio after 2 rounds of control point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a much easier time climbing in ranks in S1, about half my games were solo and I climbed from 52 to 69 without much problem at all and probably could've reached at least 72 if I had played more. But during that season I got lucky and didn't get matched with players who threw games, I didn't get matched with people who got super salty and complained about everyone in voice chat. It was for the most part good and fairly even games because the matchmaking gods were nice to me. I have not had this luck this season.

Anne

But the thing is, it still comes down a lot to luck if you get a team that can play their role good and don't get pissy when people try to change up the team if it isn't working. I've been stuck around the 3k mark for quite some time now because I keep getting teams where people throw games intentionally (had a total of 5 of them during one night), they go 3 DPS and then don't actually get any kills, refuses to change character etc.

I can do pretty good as a DPS, but in solo queue I don't get to play it often because that's usually what gets picked first and if 3 people lock in DPS it ends up with me changing to tank or support because the others refuse. And then they end up not getting any kills anyway. It's always fun to see a DPS complain that the other DPS is garbage and then I look at my stats as a support and see I have gold eliminations with 8 kills as lucio after 2 rounds of control point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a much easier time climbing in ranks in S1, about half my games were solo and I climbed from 52 to 69 without much problem at all and probably could've reached at least 72 if I had played more. But during that season I got lucky and didn't get matched with players who threw games, I didn't get matched with people who got super salty and complained about everyone in voice chat. It was for the most part good and fairly even games because the matchmaking gods were nice to me. I have not had this luck this season.

Large sample size will always outweigh variance. Every ranking system has worked this way.

So I haven't played since Friday and this is the very first ranked game of the day that I get put into.

T37jtQH.jpg

(I wasn't able to get the pre game screen picture, it's me on a team with 5 grouped up masters, against a 3 stack with two grandmasters and a master, a double diamond group, and a solo master. We were 50 level underdogs I think)

Probably the most 'skilled' game I've been apart of yet in Overwatch. It felt like Esports lite, speed boosts, grouping up, good team comps, everyone playing their role. I was definitely the worst player on my team and maybe the game. I had a couple good plays, but their Tracer was destroying me. We ended up winning 3-1 and I only went up 18 level (which means I must have played horribly.) Still fun though. Wish the 5 stack had entered team chat though. If any of you are gaffers, thanks for the carry.

Gorillaz

just had a match where we were steam rolled with dudes on our team switch back and forth off of hanzo and torb

what a way to end a night I wish yall could have seen this dude continuously build that little funky ass turret and have it destroyed

Belfast

I maintain Mei's ult buff was a mistake. It really shouldn't be so wide. Maybe make it smaller again, but freeze faster or something. It's such an asspull for denying a capture, especially when you're facing more than one of them.

komaruR

I maintain Mei's ult buff was a mistake. It really shouldn't be so wide. Maybe make it smaller again, but freeze faster or something. It's such an asspull for denying a capture, especially when you're facing more than one of them.
To top it off, you get frozen from standing at 2nd floor balcony too :(

Antiwhippy

They don't balance to hero stacking.

just had a match where we were steam rolled with dudes on our team switch back and forth off of hanzo and torb

what a way to end a night I wish yall could have seen this dude continuously build that little funky ass turret and have it destroyed

I had a Torb who wouldn't move his turret from the same spot no matter what.

Like the endless circle of him putting his turret down, Genji comes down and kills them both, rinse repeat.

I spent the whole last point asking him to mix it up a bit and he never did.

But, we still won. AND I AM NOW PLATINUM.

The last few minutes were tense as fuck.

Gorillaz

I had a Torb who wouldn't move his turret from the same spot no matter what.

Like the endless circle of him putting his turret down, Genji comes down and kills them both, rinse repeat.

I spent the whole last point asking him to mix it up a bit and he never did.

But, we still won. AND I AM NOW PLATINUM.

The last few minutes were tense as fuck.

I think I'm just done with comp. Solo Q or not some of these people I'm getting teamed up with really don't give a shit. Dudes still refusing to change hero and sticking with same DPS pick the entire game regardless of geting hard countered because its there "favorite" or "best". Honestly thought this would get better since launch

xaosslug

just had a comp match on Ilios where our only healer was S76 (we would all huddle up on his biotic field when he called out! xD), and the enemy team had Lucio & Ana... IDK how we did it but we won 3-0.

at first I resigned myself to the loss, but then it was WORKING... so I just went with it. xD

why is everyone so preoccupied with imaginary ranking points in a children's shooting game

Because someone has to win and someone has to lose.

I like to win. Bigger numbers means I'm winning more than I'm losing.

In all honesty, I like there being something on the line so it gives the illusion that people are trying their best.

Sometimes they aren't, but it encourages me to learn and get better.

One of the most fun things for me is to show people who say they don't know how to support how to do so by commentating my play. I figure I can educate people bit by bit.

Complistic

Won the last 8 or 9 of my games the past few days. The last match went to the 5th round final 2:00 push on Anubis and we pulled it off to secure my first ever diamond rank. Felt so good.

Just had a comp match with a person who didn't want to switch torb. Teammates tried to persuade but then he said he'll go Bastion. Somehow we won 3/0. Although it didn't feel like a steamroll though. Of course I start the round with Ana, then I notice the Zen in our team couldn't keep up with the healing so I just went Lucio again. It does help us that the other team had a Hanzo...

I swear I'm never gonna be able to work on my comp Ana rank and I'll just be going Lucio.

Gorillaz

Oh my god I just learned firsthand how crap torb is competitively. Wow. He needs a buff like, now.

Torb wasn't that "good" to begin with in comp since everyone usually takes care of the turret after a few mins and alot of people can't even play the torb character well enough to begin with.

But with the reduction of his turrets by 30 dude is useless. Gets streamrolled so easy now and the time it take you to actually set up a turret could go to actually taking out someone on the other team.

Antiwhippy

Eh, that was just an aside. A single Mei ult is enough. Make it freeze quicker or do extra damage. But covering a whole point is a bit counterintuitive to the game design, I think.

I rather think that's the point honestly. She's a character based on stalling and denial. It makes sense with her kit.

Also I still think it's a slightly worse version of graviton surge. Maybe on par now with how quickly she builds it.

ZangBa

Quick play is such a stress relief for me. Feels good to mess around with characters in a mode where I don't need to tryhard in. Never really touched Pharah much before today and had a lot of fun blasting a 6 Mei team away.

QP confuses me so much sometimes.

I was in a team of 5 DPS, and the lone Mercy aka me. Opposing team was pretty standard 2/2/2 and they had a 5 group vs our full randoms.

Somehow we win. Dunno how. We barely gotten to each checkpoint. And of course a 2x Mercy res gets POTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom