• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

"You're a shitty retard." The greatest thing anyone has ever said to me in a video game. I was shaken to my core.

I need to just quit playing this game on my solo account.

I hope you reported that player. Overwatch does not need that kind of abuse going on and from what I hear Blizzard is fairly serious about at least temp banning those kinds of things as long as they are reported.

xaosslug

dang, the win streak bonus is REAL and it carries over to your next play, y'all! I posted last night I went on a 4 game winning streak b4 I tapped out, and gained 20-24 SR pts every win. Well I was bored this AM and gambled on an early morning match (I seem to have very good luck soloQ in the early AM (8-9PST) and evening (9:30-11PST)... and we won and I gained 36 SR pts, omg! Hopefully the odds are in my favour and I can stay winning. T__T *thinks happy thoughts!*

Auctopus

Now in Season Two, I waited till this week to complete my 10 placement matches, this time only playing Lucio. My win record was 9/10 and ranked at 2980, just twenty points below Diamond.

Why such a huge change? I'm guessing wins play a huge role, but besides that, what else do you think the score is based on?

Even though wins seem to factor less, if you're on the winning team you have a bigger opportunity to perform well.

Azoor

Text chat abuse is easily reported so make sure to do that. Also take screenshots.

One time a guy harassed our healer constantly because he couldn't heal him, even though he was a D.va and only lost like 70 health. We all reported him, he didn't need to do that, especially when he kept getting away from the team.

matmanx1

i would actually have no problem with comp in this game, even if i were losing as much as i am now, but the way it's set up is so bad

1. the points you gain or lose are dependent on weird hidden factors that you can never understand, except to know that supports get fucked so never play support

2. the compressed bell curve of SR distribution means that a huge majority of the players are in a relatively narrow rank range in the middle, which means that people who the game says are at your level will have wildly varying amounts of game understanding and mechanical skill

3. points 1 and 2 combine to infuriate the player base to the point where i end up turning off both text and voice chat almost every single game due to excessive sodium levels and outright hate speech

Point 2 is the one that really gets me. I wish their was a que for "has microphone, will communicate, understands team composition and roles" - regardless of SR. Like, mechanically I understand that I am average. I never got out of the 40's last season and I'm Gold tier now so I get that I am not the best player around. But I do have a mic, I do try to communicate and I am both flexible and willing and able to cooperate with folks who understand the game and want to try their best. I would LOVE to get matchmade with like-minded folks more often.

Blizzard should really come out and at least clarify at a high level how competitive rank points are gained/lost. We have gleaned some info, but they need to dive into greater detail, short of giving away the actual algorithms that decide it. But we need to know the factors. Period.

More clarity would be nice. I want to improve but short of "do everything better AND win the majority of your games!" I'm not sure how that is going to help me gain Comp points or move up in rank.

think i figured out the trick to solo queue. don't play late at night.

during the afternoon i've found people are generally receptive and mic'ed up

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
dang, the win streak bonus is REAL and it carries over to your next play, y'all! I posted last night I went on a 4 game winning streak b4 I tapped out, and gained 20-24 SR pts every win. Well I was bored this AM and gambled on an early morning match (I seem to have very good luck soloQ in the early AM (8-9PST) and evening (9:30-11PST)... and we won and I gained 36 SR pts, omg! Hopefully the odds are in my favour and I can stay winning. T__T *thinks happy thoughts!*

The most points I gained was 70ish after a 6+ game win streak.

Felt good, man.

xaosslug

The most points I gained was 70ish after a 6+ game win streak.

Felt good, man.

wow! I just had a draw... hopefully this doesn't interrupt my streak's flow... T__T I'll report back! LOL

ETA: mmkay, just won my 6th match (after a draw, last game) and I can report the streak bonus LIVES! I received 36SR, again! :D

matmanx1

I've decided I am going to start recording my Overwatch matches for watching later. I have a 980ti in my PC and it supports Shadowplay which I hear is pretty easy to work with. My thought is maybe I can spot mistakes and areas of improvement in my own play and learn from what I am watching. Does anyone else do this?

Had a decent play session yesterday, should of stopped playing solo though.. such a gamble. Oddly enough, I had some very positive comments playing as Mei. Even had people 7 vote on my card people vote on my card (nothing special, 33 Object Kills). It was a very odd experience, definitely not one I'm used to. "Nice wall!", "Nice ult!", "thanks man you saved me (after freezing the other Mei)". Mei feeds on hate, I can't take the compliments!

Eichenwalde protip: Mei and Reinhardt can lock down that first chokepoint, if you're Mei/Rein, do not leave the chokepoint, let the team kill the flankers (unless of course your team is dying).

Skii

Man fuck this game.

went from 4-3 to 5-5.

We got steamrolled on Gibralter because of a single Reaper. We are completely stalled at our spawn enough that our Zarya has to ult 5 to clear which I proceed to do. But the Reaper is behind us and gets rid of me. I'm like "that's fine, there's 5 of us, we can get rid of him". NOPE. He kills everyone. Me and the Zarya got 5 kills and the rest of the team couldn't kill the solo Reaper. Our Mercy didn't res once or even heal me once. And of course we had attack Bastion.

Next game on Temple of Anubis is an embarrassing steamroll. But it was a 6 stack of platinum/diamonds vs 6 solo queue players with one gold. Completely fair match making. We can't even cap the first point naturally.

Final match is on Volskaya and we go 4 DPS, 1 Zarya and me as Zen and we somehow manage to capture both points fairly quickly. I think we were just individually better and we go on to win the match 3-2.

So now I'm rank 2456 which is essentially the exact same as the rank I ended last season with. I would be completely fine with this if my placement matches were remotely fair. But I was put up against a 6 stack, was disconnected from a game I was dominating thanks to Blizzard's servers and have just terrible players for my final 5 games. Attack Bastion. Attack Torbjorn. Shit Junkrats. Mercy who essentially rendered our team into a 5v6 etc.

Definitely not salty.

:(

xaosslug

the streak goes awn! 47SR last round.

k1DQPEH.gif

Saw some friends playing. Decided to hope back in. After a few games my SR has gone from 1886 to 1817. YAY! I LOVE THIS GAME.

-_-

buy a PS4 and play w/ meeeee, breh!

Jellie

Man fuck this game.

went from 4-3 to 5-5.

We got steamrolled on Gibralter because of a single Reaper. We are completely stalled at our spawn enough that our Zarya has to ult 5 to clear which I proceed to do. But the Reaper is behind us and gets rid of me. I'm like "that's fine, there's 5 of us, we can get rid of him". NOPE. He kills everyone. Me and the Zarya got 5 kills and the rest of the team couldn't kill the solo Reaper. Our Mercy didn't res once or even heal me once. And of course we had attack Bastion.

Next game on Temple of Anubis is an embarrassing steamroll. But it was a 6 stack of platinum/diamonds vs 6 solo queue players with one gold. Completely fair match making. We can't even cap the first point naturally.

Final match is on Volskaya and we go 4 DPS, 1 Zarya and me as Zen and we somehow manage to capture both points fairly quickly. I think we were just individually better and we go on to win the match 3-2.

So now I'm rank 2456 which is essentially the exact same as the rank I ended last season with. I would be completely fine with this if my placement matches were remotely fair. But I was put up against a 6 stack, was disconnected from a game I was dominating thanks to Blizzard's servers and have just terrible players for my final 5 games. Attack Bastion. Attack Torbjorn. Shit Junkrats. Mercy who essentially rendered our team into a 5v6 etc.

Definitely not salty.

:(
Don't worry. You should climb. Placements are just an initial placing.

Rize_21

Yoooooo how is the sombra going. Honesly can't believe it took this fucking long really lost all their hype!!!
We should reach 40% today, it should be completed on oct 17th, and that's it.
I believed Chris Metzen would show her at Blizzcon, but he had a better plan in the end.

NinjaBoiX

I'm new to this game and looking for a few pointers:

- I have no idea how to pick the right character for the right situation and beyond that

- I'm currently just going into game, picking a character and sticking with them to feel them out

- only had a few games so far but Tracer, Hanzo and Genji seem pretty cool (I'm literally just working left to right along the selection screen)

- I'm definitely know I'm "not playing it right" but at the minute I'm not sure what else to do

- tips?

Fun game though!

Jellie

Lowest I've seen is a 1900. Is that silver or bronze?

He was streaming so decided to watch him and he was putting symettra turrets in his spawn on attack. On defence he placed the teleporter at the first attackers spawn point when they were on the second point. Couldn't tell if he was trolling as he was getting kills. Even got a quad and they managed to win. It was very weird to watch though.

LiK

I'm new to this game and looking for a few pointers:

- I have no idea how to pick the right character for the right situation and beyond that

- I'm currently just going into game, picking a character and sticking with them to feel them out

- only had a few games so far but Tracer, Hanzo and Genji seem pretty cool (I'm literally just working left to right along the selection screen)

- I'm definitely know I'm "not playing it right" but at the minute I'm not sure what else to do

- tips?

Fun game though!

just keep doing what you're doing. get used to the heroes and stick with who you're good with and learn the maps.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lowest I've seen is a 1900. Is that silver or bronze?

He was streaming so decided to watch him and he was putting symettra turrets in his spawn on attack. On defence he placed the teleporter at the first attackers spawn point when they were on the second point. Couldn't tell if he was trolling as he was getting kills. Even got a quad and they managed to win. It was very weird to watch though.

Silver. Bronze is 1-1499.

I definitely do it to see if it's effective - if they're not hitting anything (or someone needs healing) I just fly away...

Had an Anubis defense the other day where I kept flying up to our Widow on the arch to buff and heal her. She seemed shocked!

"Yeah, totally here to heal and buff you. Didn't fly up here to get away from the brutal shit going down on the point. Nope. All for you, Widow. All for you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom