• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

When will Mei's Ult get nerfed again?

I'm thinking she is going to get adjusted somehow. My guess would be ult rate charge speed. Right now it comes up really quickly for how large and potent it is.

I'm new to this game and looking for a few pointers:

- I have no idea how to pick the right character for the right situation and beyond that

- I'm currently just going into game, picking a character and sticking with them to feel them out

- only had a few games so far but Tracer, Hanzo and Genji seem pretty cool (I'm literally just working left to right along the selection screen)

- I'm definitely know I'm "not playing it right" but at the minute I'm not sure what else to do

- tips?

Fun game though!

I'll try to hit your questions in order.

Firstly, Blizzard does a great job on the Overwatch website (www.playoverwatch.com) of breaking down each character and showing off their abilities and then giving them a difficulty rating. Definitely check out that website, you will learn a lot.

You probably want to start with the easier heroes at first since you are still learning the maps and the game mechanics. I would recommend the one star difficult heroes at first (Soldier 76 is a good all round starter) but after a bit of playing you will probably identify a few that you enjoy more than others.

Again on playoverwatch.com there is a pretty good breakdown on the map and game types and what to do on each one. Once you get your feet wet you can study up on specifics but in general you want to figure out which role your character has and try to play that role the best you can.

If you are a tank, soak damage and protect your team mates. If you are support, keep people healed (unless, Symmetra, she does something different). If you are an attack or defense hero you need to focus on taking out the enemy supports.

Lastly, welcome to Overwatch and have fun!

wow! I just had a draw... hopefully this doesn't interrupt my streak's flow... T__T I'll report back! LOL

ETA: mmkay, just won my 6th match (after a draw, last game) and I can report the streak bonus LIVES! I received 36SR, again! :D

That is a really cool thing about draws, then. Really good news. Thanks!

I'm new to this game and looking for a few pointers:

- I have no idea how to pick the right character for the right situation and beyond that

- I'm currently just going into game, picking a character and sticking with them to feel them out

- only had a few games so far but Tracer, Hanzo and Genji seem pretty cool (I'm literally just working left to right along the selection screen)

- I'm definitely know I'm "not playing it right" but at the minute I'm not sure what else to do

- tips?

Fun game though!

There are no right characters for the right situation. Pick who you're best with. None of us are going pro. I just won a game with a Junkrat, Symmetra, Lucio, Zenyatta, Reinhardt, DVa lineup. They wanted me to pick a DPS character but my Symmetra is way better. We stomped them..

Just play with everyone, spend maybe 1-2 hours with each character. You're not going to be great with any of them but you should get an idea of who you like playing as and feel comfortable with.

Never pick Hanzo

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Shamelessly stolen from the fan art thread.

757.jpg

Roadhog loves Mercy

Skii

Anyone up for duo/triple queue in about 2 hours? I'm 2456 so I can get platinum with 2 wins. Hopefully I can achieve that with some help.

Farewell

Dumb question maybe, but the demo of overwatch is still installed, do i need to download the full game again after i buy it or can i just play right away?

Too bad they fixed the from 0 to 5000 glitch. You would be a prime candidate.

Literally the lowest SR I've seen.

Hahaha... no. I'm 1613. Had 3 teammate DCs, a troll Mei in spawn, and 2 all-but-me DPS/ Junkrat teams in Solo Placement. Went 1-7-2. 1680 ranking. Lost first two matches and went back to QP, where I don't have to watch a real-time meter of how badly I'm doing.

And for the record, I'm not a shit player. Average at best, but I'm a good teammate. I talk, I take the Tank/ Healer hole my team always seems to leave, and I always encourage and thank. The problem with my SR is that I don't take chances. I stay with my team, I stay alive, and I concentrate on healing/ defending the point. I don't go for kills with Rein, I block damage and chase off snipers/ shallow flankers as D'Va, and stay central to my team and the payload as Lucio. I have a close to 60% (QP) win-rate with those 3.

Or I suck and I won't admit it. Also a possibility. https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/thethinwhiteduke
if you have advice for me, or just want to pile on. I can take either.

xaosslug

OK, after after the loss I got 2 more wins in and I'm up to 2550, whew! Done w/ comp for now. I'mma try again in the evening... maybe! LOL

it's REALLY hard to rely on other players in this game, tbh. T__T The draw match I had earlier on Hanamura was because 3 teammates gave up point A after they died and began setting up at point B right after... I on the other hand went ahead to point A and me + Junkrat + Zenny cleared the place out of the enemy Winston + Tracer + Reaper + Junkrat... I kept spamming group up to no avail, and the entire enemy team returned and overwhelmed us. Enemy team only had a few seconds left to take it, too! -_____-

Dumb question maybe, but the demo of overwatch is still installed, do i need to download the full game again after i buy it or can i just play right away?

On PC I only downloaded the beta. When the game released I just entered my CD key and was good to go.

I would imagine it's the same with the demo since it's still the full game minus the license to keep player after the weekend

Farewell

I think it's a different client. Maybe just delete and redl full game.

On PC I only downloaded the beta. When the game released I just entered my CD key and was good to go.

I would imagine it's the same with the demo since it's still the full game minus the license to keep player after the weekend

You should be able to just buy it and play.

Alright, thanks a lot guys.

Really excited to play this again when i get home!

Superflat

Man, I had two weeks straight of being completely off my game.

For some reason I just wasn't playing nearly as good as I normally do. It started with a massive losing streak, but even when I started balancing out my losses I felt like I've been delivering a subpar performance every game. It was really strange and baffling.

But now I'm back! Getting crazy golds again and the winning streaks returned. All is right with the world.

Farewell

Are here good pharah or genji players on ps4?

I've had jump on R3 in the demo and it felt pretty weird to play characters who needs to use the jump button a lot, hope i get used to it. I also had melee on x. Should i switch my button layout? On pc you don't have this kind of problem, i admire you people.

LiK

Are here good pharah or genji players on ps4?

I've had jump on R3 in the demo and it felt pretty weird to play characters who needs to use the jump button a lot, hope i get used to it. I also had melee on x. Should i switch my button layout? On pc you don't have this problem, i admire you people.

Genji - L1 for jump

Pharah - default is fine. L2 is hover if you didn't know.

Menome

If you're on PS4, it's the same client. Just buy the license from the PS Store and you can boot it up straight away.

Source: It's what I did yesterday.

Skii

What was your season high. If 60 then diamond should be pretty obtainable. Even if it's lower you can still get it.

Last season, I went 8-2 in placements and got rank 57. Literally just dropped to 49 even though I pretty much had a 50% win record during the season.

Farewell

Genji - L1 for jump

Pharah - default is fine. L2 is hover if you didn't know.

Nice, didn't know you could hover with L2. Thanks for that!

But to climb the wall with Hanzo for example you need to use the jump button, right?

If you're on PS4, it's the same client. Just buy the license from the PS Store and you can boot it up straight away.

Source: It's what I did yesterday.

Awesome, thank you.

LiK

Nice, didn't know you could hover with L2. Thanks for that!

But to climb the wall with Hanzo for example you need to use the jump button, right?

Awesome, thank you.

Jump, altho you can change the individual hero settings to make Hanzo and Genji climb automatically instead of holding down Jump.

Farewell

Jump, altho you can change the individual hero settings to make Hanzo and Genji climb automatically instead of holding down Jump.

For some reason i've always used the jump button to hover with pharah, didn't know that L2 does the same.

Also Hero settings to make them automatically climb walls is a game changer for me, i appreciate that LiK!

LiK

For some reason i've always used the jump button to hover with pharah, didn't know that L2 does the same.

Also Hero settings to make them automatically climb walls is a game changer for me, i appreciate that LiK!

Just sharing what I've learned. :)

Skii

Who else do you play apart from reaper?

Well I think I'm very good with Reaper, Genji and Zenyatta. Like I can carry DPS if my team is fairly competent.

I'm also pretty decent with Zarya and Dva but I only pick them if my team is adamant they're going with 4 DPS lol.

Decent with Tracer (mainly KOTH) and can play defensive Junkrat but I tend to stick with Reaper as he's more consistent DPS.

It's not the most diverse and I'm in the process of getting better with Zarya to carry level but in terms of DPS, I can cover most situations as Genji and Reaper's counters are pretty much opposites.

Jellie

Well I think I'm very good with Reaper, Genji and Zenyatta. Like I can carry DPS if my team is fairly competent.

I'm also pretty decent with Zarya and Dva but I only pick them if my team is adamant they're going with 4 DPS lol.

Decent with Tracer (mainly KOTH) and can play defensive Junkrat but I tend to stick with Reaper as he's more consistent DPS.

It's not the most diverse and I'm in the process of getting better with Zarya to carry level but in terms of DPS, I can cover most situations as Genji and Reaper's counters are pretty much opposites.
More diverse than me. I've only dabbled with zarya Lucio and tracer with a little of soldier. Practice more zarya and you can probablu climb to diamond at least. Best carry right now.

I had a pretty good run on competitive today, finally clawing my way back to my 2700+ benchmark.
Yet I also just had the saltiest of matches, like eating fast food fries on the dead sea levels.
It wasn't even a loss, it was a draw but it was our team of 6 vs their 5 and we had a full blown 5-5 draw on Anubis. The four stack on our team must've been dragging a dead weight or two because holy shit, just holy shit.

Part of me wishes the other team won, they deserved it so much.

Skii

More diverse than me. I've only dabbled with zarya Lucio and tracer with a little of soldier. Practice more zarya and you can probablu climb to diamond at least. Best carry right now.

Yeah I tend to just dabble in a lot of heroes but never really go out of my way to master one. But I need to actually get good with a tank as I can't depend on solo queue anymore.

At least you cover extremely solid picks for all 3 main classes. Versatile enough for me.

Btw, how would you recommend I play Zarya? I feel like I do extremely well at holding points but when the payload is moving, I'm dieing far too quickly.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah I tend to just dabble in a lot of heroes but never really go out of my way to master one. But I need to actually get good with a tank as I can't depend on solo queue anymore.

At least you cover extremely solid picks for all 3 main classes. Versatile enough for me.

Btw, how would you recommend I play Zarya? I feel like I do extremely well at holding points but when the payload is moving, I'm dieing far too quickly.

zarya's best at weaving in and out of fights depending on her cooldowns. stay in the middle of the pack, shield people when enemies dive them, spam right click at range, and always communicate ult status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom