• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

that feel when you are still in the 50's in season 2... and KoTH still 3 out of 5.
tYox2XY.png

zoukka

My ranked session was preordained with lvl 25 Hanzo, one leaver who just said "I'm gonna leave bitches" and more stuff like that.

I had 0% agency in our games.

Alur

I like the sound of the changes at first blush. We'll see how it plays out.

He said rank 60 was top 6%. Most of the tracking websites had it pegged from top 13% to top 19%. That's interesting.

EDIT: Also like that you can't drop out of your tier. Should save everyone from some heartbreak.

LiK

He said rank 60 was top 6%. Most of the tracking websites had it pegged from top 13% to top 19%. That's interesting.

Wow, so when I reached 67, that was no small feat. Curious where I land with the new ranking.

Still getting the golden gun for my Junkrat. He got me through pretty much 90% of Comp. destroyed so many guys with him. Also fuck Reaper players who annoyed me with garbo messages cuz I was using him.

EDIT: Also like that you can't drop out of your tier. Should save everyone from some heartbreak.
Tracking websites track a very small amount and the people who get added to that site are mostly above average to begin with if they want to check their advanced stats. It's super out of whack with the millions that have played.

These changes are fantastic. My biggest criticism of the game has been how awful it feels when you lose no matter how close or well you played. These changes should take the 'punishment' feeling out of things by and large.
Wow, so when I reached 67, that was no small feat. Curious where I land with the new ranking.
Yeah, you're really good.

exYle

I think a lot of mid-low tier Overwatch players don't go on those tracking websites, so their stats aren't included

Im thinking of picking this up on Xbone. Is the controller support on par with most console shooters? I remember the beta not feeling too great, but maybe i was just too fresh to the game.

Upcoming Season 2 Changes (15 Minutes)

Made a list for those who can't watch the whole thing right now:

- New Skill Rating System:
  • Ranks range from 1-5000 which gets rid of the fractional increments
  • If you win or lose, you'll be going up/down a full level
  • For "Top 500 Players" there will be a requirement of having played at least 50 matches
- Introducing Skill Rating Tiers
  • 7 Tiers
  • Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, Grand Master
  • Gold (Level 2000-2499)
  • For all tiers besides Master and Grand Master, you won't be allowed to drop lower for the season. So if you reach Gold you won't ever drop down to Silver even if you drop below the initial requirement for that tier
  • Season rewards will be based on what tier you reach
- Sudden death is going away completely
  • Control Maps: There is no sudden death. Games still play best out of 5
  • Assault Maps: Will still play like the Season 1 time bank system
  • Changes to Assault: Bonus 30 seconds after the first initial cap. This is so that the game doesn't instantly end if the attacking team captures the first point in overtime.
  • Originally when you captured a point with 30 seconds left, it would bump up your timer to 2 minutes. That will be decreased to 1 minute.
  • Changes to Payload and Hybrid Payload maps: There will be no Sudden Death. Instead, teams will play on a time bank system similar to Assault. If your team finishes the map with time to spare, you'll later get a second round on Attack to see how far you can push the payload the second time.
  • There will be ties but it will be very rare
    Ties only apply if: Both teams don't push the payload at all & If both teams don't cap Point A
  • If a tie happens, both teams will receive CP but it won't be as much as a win
- Competitive Points received is being increased by x10
  • So if you have 50CP now, you'll have 500 in Season 2
  • The cost of Golden Weapons will increase to reflect this
Smurfing will be addressed
  • The skill gap limit between one player to another will be 500 levels.
  • Example: If you're level 2000, you can only play with other players between 1500-2500
  • This system will be tested in PTR and will be adjusted based on feedback to balance it correctly
- Skill Rating Decay:
  • Only applies to top end players
  • If you're within Diamond, Master and Grand Master your level will decrease by 50 every 24 hours if you don't play for Competitive for a week
  • This has a floor limit so you won't drop infinitely.
  • This system is meant to keep top players constantly playing to keep their high rank instead of just stopping once they reach it
All of this is subject to change based on feedback during PTR so do give it a shot and give them your thoughts!

So I'm guessing they'll be giving out Competitive Points for ties and maybe losses, since they're multiplying them by 10?
That and I've seen speculation that it could open the door for giving a consolation prize to those that played really well and effectively even on a losing effort.

So I'm guessing they'll be giving out Competitive Points for ties and maybe losses, since they're multiplying them by 10?

Hopefully. One of my enduring frustrations about Overwatch is that you get no points for losses. If you only win 50% of your matches, you have to play upwards of 600 matches to get enough points for a golden gun. You might have a bad day and get 2 points in 6 hours of play. I consider that a pretty big design flaw. Especially considering competitive matches are usually 2x as long (time investment) as regular matches. It actually soured me on being bothered.

Hopefully. One of my enduring frustrations about Overwatch is that you get no points for losses. If you only win 50% of your matches, you have to play upwards of 600 matches to get enough points for a golden gun. You might have a bad day and get 2 points in 6 hours of play. I consider that a pretty big design flaw. Especially considering competitive matches are usually 2x as long (time investment) as regular matches. It actually soured me on being bothered.
You're not including end of season rewards which are a lot of points depending on where your peak rank is.

Owzers

I'm going to be playing more comp for sure, let's do this guys, add me as Owzers on ps4 and you won't regret it outside of all the times that you completely regret it.

The one iffy thing about groups and comp mode is that you can only join their group when they are not playing. There should be a group waiting list.

Alur

Tracking websites track a very small amount and the people who get added to that site are mostly above average to begin with if they want to check their advanced stats. It's super out of whack with the millions that have played.

I think a lot of mid-low tier Overwatch players don't go on those tracking websites, so their stats aren't included

I didn't realize this as I only got back into playing a few weeks back. I assumed it was pulling everyone at least once a week regardless of whether that person requested their stats or not, just to keep it's database updated. Guess I was wrong.

Smurfing will be addressed
  • The skill gap limit between one player to another will be 500 levels.
  • Example: If you're level 2000, you can only play with other players between 1500-2500
  • This system will be tested in PTR and will be adjusted based on feedback to balance it correctly

This will be interesting depending on how it spits out people post-placement and how much bearing the old rating has.

I know in our group it spans from one guy at ~40, to most in the 47-53 range, and then one as high as 62. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that everyone won't be playing together in competitive anymore.

IKizzLE

Still getting the golden gun for my Junkrat. He got me through pretty much 90% of Comp. destroyed so many guys with him. Also fuck Reaper players who annoyed me with garbo messages cuz I was using him.

I tried to mention this before...there is a reason why SR65+ were getting 300 CP payout. Wouldn't be surprised if 65+ was top 1%, seeing how this game has like 15m accounts. If atleast 25% of those accounts did their 10 placement matches, overbuff and masteroverwatch is no where near the correct barometer for seeing where you placed.

duckroll

Wow, major changes to Competitive. This is expected, but I guess they're moving this to be closer to the other Blizzard Ladder Systems they're familiar with. Tier sounds good, but it also means that it might be harder to group up with friends for Comp if the skill gap is too wide. At least now there's more motivation to climb a tier knowing you can't fall back down.

Redmoon

Just realized season one ends this Wednesday. Thought it was next week. Took me the whole season to do my placements(still have five more to go) but at this point I'm just in it for the points.

Season 2 already sounds better. Like everything that was good with the beta comp system and the current, with some added side dishes.

Might be time to play comp regularly if S2 holds up.

Defuser

This new skill rate is a double edge if Blizzard doesn't fix their stupid matchmaking of team avg. Team avg is the stupidest thing ever. People seem to get more losing streaks than winning.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
New system sounds a lot better.

Can't wait to try it on the PTR.

LiK

I tried to mention this before...there is a reason why SR65+ were getting 300 CP payout. Wouldn't be surprised if 65+ was top 1%, seeing how this game has like 15m accounts. If atleast 25% of those accounts did their 10 placement matches, overbuff and masteroverwatch is no where near the correct barometer for seeing where you placed.

I never really trusted those sites to be accurate about anything. Only Blizzard knows.

Alur

Did anyone catch his comment on competitive points that are used for the weapons? He said if you had any saved up they were going to multiply them or something to that effect, but I didn't quite understand his meaning.

Auctopus

- Skill Rating Decay:
  • Only applies to top end players
  • If you're within Diamond, Master and Grand Master your level will decrease by 50 every 24 hours if you don't play for Competitive for a week
  • This has a floor limit so you won't drop infinitely.
    [*]This system is meant to keep top players constantly playing to keep their high rank instead of just stopping once they reach it

Hmm, hope those good players get to play every day then. Sort of unfair for people who have other stuff going on. Or is Diamond like Pro players?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So guys, tomorrow they're going to announce the new map at Gamescom and drop it on the PTR at least right?

I hope so and Sombra plsss

Well one thing is for sure, we'll get a new animated short.

Hope that's not all *fingers crossed*

LiK

Did anyone catch his comment on competitive points that are used for the weapons? He said if you had any saved up they were going to multiply them or something to that effect, but I didn't quite understand his meaning.

Everything you have in the bank will be multiplied to match the new system.

GeeTeeCee

Wow, backfilled into a defence on Watchpoint: Gibraltar and finished the match with a gold medal for Eliminations with a princely sum of 1 Elimination to my name.

No way am I staying in that lobby.

Hmm, hope those good players get to play every day then. Sort of unfair for people who have other stuff going on. Or is Diamond like Pro players?
Anyone at that tier is going to be playing a lot anyways. I think this rule is in place to not reward those that just place highly after the placement matches and then just sit on it for the rewards.

LiK

Sudden Death screwed over so many games for me and GAF groups I played with. Would've been higher ranked of the coins when our way more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom