• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not a chance will an entire tier be relegated to 500 people per region.
Nah this is petty typical of prestige tiers, Grandmaster in SC2 is 200. Challenger in Leeg is 50. At that point you're being scouted for pro teams if you're not already on one.

Copenap

So who are 4-man groups going to match with? I seriously don't think people think this through in both directions. :p
4 and 5 people groups would only be possible in quick play. I said it's not perfect but not all group sizes need to be allowed for competitive.
Blizz already does this in HotS.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
On day 3 of my break until season 2 and it feels good, I really needed this time off, even if it means I definitely won't get the Tracer skin I wanted (farmed 20 boxes and didn't get). I'm really hoping for some major improvements to competitive for next season, just anything to make it feel more rewarding and less of a slog.

Azoor

I love it when someone uses his ultimate to kill the entire team and I sweep down as Mercy to revive all of them. That almost always pisses them off.

duckroll

It's actually really good and already proven so I wouldn't ne surprised if they eventually will end up doing that in OW as well.

Maybe Competitive just isn't for me. I like playing with friends, we can't always get a full 6 man stack, I like being able to get into games without the hassle of too many limitations.

finalflame

Maybe Competitive just isn't for me. I like playing with friends, we can't always get a full 6 man stack, I like being able to get into games without the hassle of too many limitations.

Sounds like competitive isn't for you, then. The goal of competitive is not for you to always be able to play with all your friends, it's for teams to be balanced for fair matches. One takes precedence over the other, without limiting being able to play with friends too much. You can always play with a few friends, or get a full group of friends, or make new friends for competitive.

Anyways, who knows if they'll ever implement the same system as HoTS. I'm in favor of it, though. I have no problem telling my friends I'm already in a group of 3, so if we want to play we need a total of 3 more. If I really want to play with them I'll just hop into QP.

wait wait wait wait wait

if you shoot arrows straight up as hanzo, they come back down?

wow, thank seagull

Yes. If you shoot up the sonar arrow at about 18 seconds left in front of the spawn door, it lands as people come out of the gate and you get a second sonar arrow just off of cooldown as well.

I'm way out of the loop. Who the hell is Sombra? I thought that was Ana.

That's what people assumed, but the masked character whose file was on Temple of Anubis and turned out to be Ana was not at all related to the Sombra clues on Dorado. People just thought that was the case, possibly because both are shrouded in cloaks.

Sombra is a whole different character.

maouvin

I'm way out of the loop. Who the hell is Sombra? I thought that was Ana.

Here's some info, but it's outdated: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249956

This guy's explaining and reproducing all the findings on the related ARG: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4xpdly/sombra_itt_i_explain_reproduce_and_verify_all/

This is the most up to date thing that also explains all the steps:
http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Sombra_ARG

Better organized too, cheers!

Astral

Oh I see. That explains my confusion when the new character released was named Ana and not Sombra. Not another sniper please.

Astral

Speaking of snipers, I played my remaining 8 placement matches last night (only ranked 56 fml) and there wasn't a single Widowmaker. Is she considered bad or something? I also heard some guy on the mic talking shit about how Bastion is low tier and that everyone should stop using him lol. I saw tons of Zaryas. More than I've ever seen in quick play.

Jellie

Reached a new season high of 69. Was in a 74 v 72 match where 9 people were top 500 so was expecting to get destroyed too. Even got complimented after so that's a nice boost.

Anne

Ranks aren't going to reset entirely. You'll have to do placements, but you'll still be matched around your actual MMR. The placements are just there to help calculate your starting point with a bit more leniency. Every other game does this.

Who's ready to be bronze with me?

brian!

Speaking of snipers, I played my remaining 8 placement matches last night (only ranked 56 fml) and there wasn't a single Widowmaker. Is she considered bad or something? I also heard some guy on the mic talking shit about how Bastion is low tier and that everyone should stop using him lol. I saw tons of Zaryas. More than I've ever seen in quick play.

Widow is considered subpar, bastion considered bad, zarya gud, but realistically the guy talking shit was looking for something to blame

Beckx

Ranks aren't going to reset entirely. You'll have to do placements, but you'll still be matched around your actual MMR. The placements are just there to help calculate your starting point with a bit more leniency. Every other game does this.

if 70 is bronze then we're going to have a lot of less precious metals to fill out the remainder of the ranks.

i'll end up in pyrite

Finalow

main issue for them was boosting, if you google ''overwatch boosting'' there are so many people selling their ''boosting services'', and you also see a lot of people in the 70s trying to reach top 500 by queueing with rank 40s smurfs who are actually good players.
fixing that and the awful sudden death system were the most obvious changes, but it felt like they should have fixed those issues way before season 1 ended. still, it sounds like the overall competitive system is going to be improved and I might actually care this time around.

maybe by the end of season 3 they'll realize that having a different queue and skill rating for solo queuers and parties is a good thing.

matmanx1

S2 changes sound good so far. No more sudden death is fantastic and the new tier system is a large upgrade over the old 1 - 100 system. Having to be within 500 points of your group mates for Comp should, theoretically, ensure more fair games more of the time.

S2 starts with the new month, in September? Is that right?

KiraFA37

Sorry mate, aiming for low Gold, will probably end up in Bronze though.

Palmer_v1

I feel like Silver is a guarantee for me, with Gold being likely. Diamond, would only be if I took it seriously and played Comp a lot. May not even be that good.

I feel like most people who just play a decent amount will be good enough to float in Gold.

I wonder what percentage of people ended above/below their placement

I'm currently below, but pretty close. Peaked at 52, now at 46. If you gave it a +- 5 MMR, you'd probably get most people's results.

I still want to know though.

As for the new ranks, over time it becomes more of a time sink than anything. Much like Legend in HS and Masters in SCII.

I don't mind though, it rewards the more dedicated players with better ranks.

Arrrammis

I still wish that competitive mode would just use the measures that are used in the Resorts overwatch games. KoTH is self-explanitory, payloads are based on distance or time of completion, and 2-point cap is based on time only. Ties are decided by a KoTH match, but in normal games I'd be OK with ties. It doesn't happen often, just have no rank awarded and give everyone the purple credit.

finalflame

Wait what? I don't see a summer skin for D.Va.

Dva-new-epic-skin-summer-games-olympics.jpg

Fucking leavers. Three straight competitive matches where people on my team leave even though we're doing fine. Dropped from a 54 to a low 52 (a smidgen above 51). Just permaban these people or something. It's not fair to the rest of us who actually want to play the game.

I think I'll play 22 matches of QP and just go down the list one character per game until I'm done. Sounds like something to do while the game is in a bit of a transition phase.

S1 doesn't have much more to offer me, I want new maps and Sombra
and Doomfist

The goal now is to have a much more diverse character pool to choose from when S2 starts.
My Genji play doesn't even qualify as shit, it is something else altogether O_O trying to learn a control scheme that lets me aim and jump at the same time didn't help matters. Glad to be done with that one.

Hello McCree, my old friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom