• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeTeeCee

Oh god, I've been playing Overwatch for twenty hours total and just learned you can use L2 to activate Pharah's hover jets rather than X (on PS4).

Either that, or I actually learned it in hour 1 of playing the game and then promptly forgot said fact.

What is happening.

Oh god, I've been playing Overwatch for twenty hours total and just learned you can use L2 to activate Pharah's hover jets rather than X (on PS4).

Either that, or I actually learned it in hour 1 of playing the game and then promptly forgot said fact.

What is happening.

Torbjorn has an alt fire

I didn't know this until some 100 hours into the game

Azoor

I got Overwatch last month. Been playing Competitive ever since I was allowed to. Just got Rank 62 playing completely on my own while also getting 100 coins in the process. Believe it guys, it is possible. My first gold weapon will be Reaper's for sure. I'll keep trying to get Rank 65+ but I'm happy with what I got so far.

Speaking of Reaper, I found this amusing video.

https://youtu.be/xzizC13-a54

Naarmight

Who is the best counter for Genji? Had a bit of time off, came back this weekend, and there now seems to be tons of great Genjis just out to kill me

Rize_21

Who is the best counter for Genji? Had a bit of time off, came back this weekend, and there now seems to be tons of great Genjis just out to kill me
Go for Zenyatta, discord orb makes him a weeaboo ninja and his ult cockblock him.
Mei and Winston are not good imo, Genji can kite them and escape when things become ugly.
Also Roadhog can shutdown Genji.

Azoor

Fuck. Just Solo Queued two Quick Play games. Already want to die.

tumblr_o9wqs55xUQ1ucq9cfo1_500.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Go for Zenyatta, discord orb makes him a weeaboo ninja and his ult cockblock him.
Mei and Winston are not good imo, Genji can kite them and escape when things become ugly.
Also Roadhog can shutdown Genji.

I consider chasing them off as mei as winning. Plus her freeze counters deflect which a seriously important tool for him.

Also Winston can chase genji really easily.

NimbusD

Just played against an insane Tracer/Genji team of two. The Genji was rank 42 and Tracer was unranked but they were crazy, literally carried their whole team. Something felt off about them only being that level/rank and being that good but oh well.

Edit:

Amazing how much having a positive voice on the team can help. Played KOTH and wasn't using mic for the first couple of rounds since no one else seemed to be, although they were in the voice channel. We got absolutely steamrolled it was crazy. After that I started using the mic to encourage people and make calls or warn people of something happening at any given time and the game turned around - people started working together more and we actually ended up winning! So good.

Yes yes yes, Iive gotten in the habit of always starting the conversation before the game starts, jus staying hi and being positive. It usually works but roughly 25 percent of the time there's also some group I have to beg to come over to team chat and once they do they just start seeing memes into the mics or simolar inane shit and think its hilarious. HOWEVER if you're calling out things they usually listen unless they're being a dick out of spite or something.

ISOM

I think one change to competitive in season 2 that I would like is to penalize solo queuers less for losses. Getting that teammate who wants to stick to Hanzo or attack torb should not be penalized for their stupidity.

duckroll

I think one change to competitive in season 2 that I would like is to penalize solo queuers less for losses. Getting that teammate who wants to stick to Hanzo or attack torb should not be penalized for their stupidity.

But in doing so, it means that teammate who wants to stick to Hanzo and attack Torb will also be penalized less, giving more allowance for this sort of shit to happen. Solo queuer joins a 5-man team? Decides to pick Hanzo? YOLO!

Azoor

Having a group meaning having higher stakes ? Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, yes groups have a lot of advantages over solo players and loosing as a solo player might not always be your fault.

On the other hand, I'm afraid people will less likely be in groups in fear that they'll loose more points because of bad performance.

But in doing so, it means that teammate who wants to stick to Hanzo and attack Torb will also be penalized less, giving more allowance for this sort of shit to happen. Solo queuer joins a 5-man team? Decides to pick Hanzo? YOLO!

This.

Plus, a loss is a loss is a loss, no matter how you queued.

I'd like to have match-ups looked at. For solo queuers, emphasize the possibility of an all solo-q match. If not, because I also don't want a year-long matchmaking wait, keep the team + solo balanced so you NEVER see 2 teams of 2 + 2 solos vs all solo. That's ridiculous and it's more frequent than infrequent.

And then rank. I don't give a fuck if the game thinks I'm a rank whatever in my internal MMR metric. I'll never get to the rank I "should" be at if I keep getting matched with the ranks higher than me.

Let me cruise through the ranks I "shouldn't" be at, even if it means stomping the upper 50's / lower 60's to get at the mid-to-high 60s that I keep getting matched with. Because if I'm going tit-for-tat on wins and losses, I'm trapped in the same shuffle of levels.

Also, if Blizzard could take a look at my account specifically and buff my playing so I suck less, that would be cool. Otherwise, Blizz is a shit company and I'm never buying their products again!1!1!!1!

NimbusD

Interesting
About a month ago I ran into someone playing lvl 40 reaper that destroyed everyone in a way I never experienced before, literally insane., and their career profile showed them only ever playing reaper for ten minutes prior. Posted about it here and people said boosting wasn't a thing in overwatch and there's no way a level 60-70 would be around level 40. Glad to see I'm not crazy as I've seen similar stuff a handful of times since then. It's not fun when it happens and it's probably the only time that I consider just dropping. If I'm in the mood I'll take it as a challenge but usually just wind up frustrated because they can pick off u coordinated teams so easily.

ramyeon

Holy shit. Just added some people who I had a good game with and we went on a winning train. Went from 40 to 49. Last game we had before calling it a night we lost but it was super close, came down to sudden death and we were unfortunately on defense. All good though, the other team played really well as well.

Overwatch is fun again.

Getting a bit better with McCree but I'm so streaky with him. Really dependent on the team to come together otherwise I get rekt repeatedly whereas with Tracer/Pharah I've got a lot more freedom to create opportunities.

While Discord is kind of nuts and needs to be looked at, pinging a headshot on an attack hero and instantly killing them is a delicious feeling.

Gaz_RB

Another note on "smurfs"-- on PS4 you don't even need to buy another copy of the game, you simply switch around your primary account and you can use your game/PS+ on a new account.

And to clarify, they definitely aren't smurfing with their higher level friends to help their new account reach top 500, it's the other way around. There are also those who smurf because high level play isn't fun (because they aren't good enough) and so they go back down so they can pub stomp.

Holy shit. Just added some people who I had a good game with and we went on a winning train. Went from 40 to 49. Last game we had before calling it a night we lost but it was super close, came down to sudden death and we were unfortunately on defense. All good though, the other team played really well as well.

Overwatch is fun again.

Overwatch is definitely at its best when you're on the winning team :D

ramyeon

Also helps to have cool people on mic to coordinate with, the group just worked so well together. Most games we played we were steamrolling. Never saw more than two victories in a row until today, planning to do it all again tomorrow.

Auctopus

Another note on "smurfs"-- on PS4 you don't even need to buy a copy of the game, you simply switch around your primary account and you can use your game/PS+ on a new account.

And to clarify, they definitely aren't smurfing with their higher level friends to help their new account reach top 500, it's the other way around. There are also those who smurf because high level play isn't fun (because they aren't good enough) and so they go back down so they can pub stomp.

I think the secret to a good multiplayer game is that it's fun even when you're losing. I think Overwatch definitely is that when your teammates aren't exasperately idiotic (eg. I still see Level 50+ run straight at Solider 76, Genji & Junkrat Specials). Unfortunately, that's quite rare.

LiK

Why are people attacking with Torbjorn in that Egypt map? Jesus man. There is always this one troll.

Actually, it works if that Torb knows what he's doing. He could put turret near the entrance and it actually can annoy the defenders especially if they have a Pharah and he can run in during it. I saw other Torb dudes use that method in my previous games. Better than an Attacking Bastion at least.

Played overwatch all weekend long. So much fun. We played until 3.30am friday night without even realizing it. I'm working on expanding my hero selection so that I can get better with all the heroes (except snipers, I'm trash at sniping). Do you guys focus on a few heroes or do you diversify a lot? I feel like I may be over reaching by playing so many heroes. Jack of all trades, master of none and all that.

LiK

Played overwatch all weekend long. So much fun. We played until 3.30am friday night without even realizing it. I'm working on expanding my hero selection so that I can get better with all the heroes (except snipers, I'm trash at sniping). Do you guys focus on a few heroes or do you diversify a lot? I feel like I may be over reaching by playing so many heroes. Jack of all trades, master of none and all that.

Good to have a main but also play a few other alts in case it's needed. I played with everyone just to understand how they play so they're easier to counter. Play everyone but master a few you enjoy playing the most.

ISOM

I definitely diversify what I play since you can end up not getting the character you want in Comp and end up being deadweight.

Having a character you like to play in DPS, Support and Tank is best.

duckroll

Hmm, good point actually. Guess it can only work to separate 6 groups from everyone else.

So you have a Solo Queue queue, a 6-man Group queue, and another Queue for 2-man, 3-man, and 4-man Groups? Sounds like a mess. Players get further segregated and matchmaking takes even longer to find matches? I dunno...

Copenap

So you have a Solo Queue queue, a 6-man Group queue, and another Queue for 2-man, 3-man, and 4-man Groups? Sounds like a mess. Players get further segregated and matchmaking takes even longer to find matches? I dunno...
There's no perfect way but I would prefer a solo-duo que (maybe increase that to up to groups of 3) and a full 6 people team que including team ranks.

Are the reward CP's being awarded this week, at the end of Season 1, or at the beginning of Season 2?

Why would they be awarded this week?
Nobody knows for sure, but since they're one of the rewards for completing season 1 at a certain rank, it's presumably at the end of season 1.

duckroll

There's no perfect way but I would prefer a solo-duo que (maybe increase that to up to groups of 3) and a full 6 people team que including team ranks.

So who are 4-man groups going to match with? I seriously don't think people think this through in both directions. :p

Good to have a main but also play a few other alts in case it's needed. I played with everyone just to understand how they play so they're easier to counter. Play everyone but master a few you enjoy playing the most.

I definitely diversify what I play since you can end up not getting the character you want in Comp and end up being deadweight.

Having a character you like to play in DPS, Support and Tank is best.

Tanking is my favorite role, I can play all the Tanks competently in order to counter other teams. The only support I really enjoy is Lucio (Zen is good too, but I'm not quite as good with him). I like a lot of DPS too though... I need to get better at reading the other team and picking a good DPS counter. I think I'll focus on Tracer and Pharah since I enjoy playing them the most.

Gaz_RB

I think the secret to a good multiplayer game is that it's fun even when you're losing. I think Overwatch definitely is that when your teammates aren't exasperately idiotic (eg. I still see Level 50+ run straight at Solider 76, Genji & Junkrat Specials). Unfortunately, that's quite rare.

I don't know--I feel that having to be so reliant on your team makes for a better higher level experience. While a game that's fun when you're losing is great and fun to play more casually, I find the games that are soul crushing (exaggerating just a bit here) when you're losing to be much more rewarding in the long term. Overwatch reminds me of Dota in that it's so reliant on your teammates, and they're both similar in that the highs are incredibly high and lows are incredibly lows, and carrying your team relies not only on your skill but your ability to orchestrate plays and make good callouts.

But that sort of gets lost in the 50s. I've been there and feel your pain there--some other players are just trash. But I'm a strong believer that a game should be balanced from the top down, rather than accomadating the lowest common denominator.

I should also note that I still have fun when I'm losing, usually because I'm playing with good players that communicate, and I'm trying to learn from the loss to improve later.

So who are 4-man groups going to match with? I seriously don't think people think this through in both directions. :p

Yeah I don't think this game has the population to do separate queues.

Actually, it works if that Torb knows what he's doing. He could put turret near the entrance and it actually can annoy the defenders especially if they have a Pharah and he can run in during it. I saw other Torb dudes use that method in my previous games. Better than an Attacking Bastion at least.

A surprise offensive Bastion can be clutch, but an offensive Torb will get destroyed by a halfway decent team. He is a joke in the current meta.

Defuser

Blizzard should just ban Hanzo,Torb and Bastion in comp, that would make any soloq a better experience. I'm sick of getting these fuckers on my team on attack side and on assault maps both sides.

Strider

Queued for a comp game and 4 of my teammates instantly locked Hanzo Symmetra Mei and Torb... I said fuck it and went Bastion.

Somehow we still won lol

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Queued for a comp game and 4 of my teammates instantly locked Hanzo Symmetra Mei and Torb... I said fuck it and went Bastion.

Somehow we still won lol

If it's Defense, that's actually a pretty good team. If it's attack than I have no idea how you won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom