• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellie

Time to find a new girlfriend.
Or just tell her to go home.
good, we can still play together as long as you don't reach Master lol
I'm less than 100 away still :( probably won't be getting there soon as the people that helped me climb from 3300 are now 4000 and out of range.
i was playing solo last night and a guy who picked Rein in King's Row on Attack simply stalled at the choke. I was D.va and I even rushed in TWICE and he was still at the fucking choke. It was no wonder my I got slaughtered by the enemy team with no support. I literally had to walk in front of him and kept going around the statue for him to follow me in. We finally captured the point but holy shit that was frustrating.

People need to learn to fucking push. Stop being pussies.
Did the other team have a maximum charge zarya. I've noticed people don't push when the other team has one.
It happens a lot on hanamura. Whenever I zarya on defence their tanks don't push through. When on attack people don't push even when we have two picks. As soon as zarya is down they go. Or might just happen to me.

LiK

Or just tell her to go home.

I'm less than 100 away still :( probably won't be getting there soon as the people that helped me climb from 3300 are now 4000 and out of range.

Did the other team have a maximum charge zarya. I've noticed people don't push when the other team has one.
It happens a lot on hanamura. Whenever I zarya on defence their tanks don't push through. When on attack people don't push even when we have two picks. As soon as zarya is down they go. Or might just happen to me.

they didn't even have a Zarya.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i was playing solo last night and a guy who picked Rein in King's Row on Attack simply stalled at the choke. I was D.va and I even rushed in TWICE and he was still at the fucking choke. It was no wonder my I got slaughtered by the enemy team with no support. I literally had to walk in front of him and kept going around the statue for him to follow me in. We finally captured the point but holy shit that was frustrating.

Most rein's I've met are like this.

The others just charge in irregardless.

It's kinda infuriating.

I play ana partly to get them to move their ass. And also to make sure they accomplished something when they start charging.

LiK

OK just a scared Reinhardt. What's better to have a scared Reinhardt or a charge happy one?

It's like doubly frustrating cuz our spawn is right there so why be scared anyway. just keep walking forward. Our entire team couldn't do anything but take shots behind him from the choke because of that guy. we lost so much time cuz of it.

It's kinda infuriating.

I play ana partly to get them to move their ass.

Bad Reins def make it seem like playing 5v6.

Moonkeis

It's kinda infuriating.

I play ana partly to get them to move their ass.

I love using Ana for pushes, nano boost your ass, now stop being a pussy and move forward. Though, 80% of Reins think it means you should charge all the way to the back to kill yourself.

Heh, so in 4 games this happened:

Win a game and got my new Season high at 3411
Lose a game and drop down by 25 points at 3386
Win a game and got back up to near high at 3410
Lose a game and drop down by 23 points at 3387
Win a game and got back up to near high at 3409

aeolist

Banned
otoh there's nothing more annoying than getting ana boosted when most of your team is dead, most of their team is dead, the enemies are so far away that you have to massively overcommit to get any swings in, and/or you'd be charging into certain death

darklin0

Banned
Guys, you are all playing Rein wrong. You gotta stand by yourself and your team all flanks so you get swarmed and killed by their team. :^)

I have been really aggressive with Rein lately, too aggressive actually. Need to hold back, my teams can't keep up.

LiK

so next loss and win will be 3409 then?

Skii

I love playing against Reins that charge in. It's just the worst move possible. You should be doing that as you're winning the engage, not at the beginning of the fight. You will always get focused down and lose your team that fight.

Should be top of the OP or maybe the next thread title because truer words were never spoken.

That feeling when you take a character like D-Va, Tracer or Reaper behind the choke, cause a distraction, get some kills, ultimately end up overwhelmed when the rest mug you but you at least think "at last my team can push past the choke/come save my arse"

Only to find out they're still at the chokepoint for some reason.

darklin0

Banned

1fbQh55.png

Just a small sample because I mostly play support and it is a small comparison to my tank play time. I need to collect more data but from what I have I loose more and gain less as a support.

I am also tracking deaths, medals, the commendation vote things, medal type, and group vs solo.

Writing up the list I realized I should add team SR difference but I know my teams generally have a slight rank advantage.

In a couple of days I can get a better spread but for now it looks like what is staggering my SR the most is playing as a support.

Jellie

I love playing against Reins that charge in. It's just the worst move possible. You should be doing that as you're winning the engage, not at the beginning of the fight. You will always get focused down and lose your team that fight.
Depends. If your team is coordinating it works. Reinhardt shield preventing your mccrees deadeye? Charge him down. Though usually it's free kill but if your DPS is good they can use the space it creates to kill their support while everyone focuses on Reinhardt.

The Overcrack has infested my office after the free weekend. Three of us copped it. It's a weird way to unite since we all sort of have different tastes in games.

LiK

Should be 3388 followed by 3408

oops, typo. i meant 3408. :p

Should be top of the OP or maybe the next thread title because truer words were never spoken.

That feeling when you take a character like D-Va, Tracer or Reaper behind the choke, cause a distraction, get some kills, ultimately end up overwhelmed when the rest mug you but you at least think "at last my team can push past the choke/come save my arse"

Yup, in Volskya and Hanamura, I love to go behind as D.va and get to the point and it causes a major distraction. when the rest of the group pushes at that point, we will usually take the point really quickly. If they stall then it's a struggle.

Good Attacking teams should push when they see the point being contested. it almost always works out.

Overwatch |OT6| Lamaze Lessons Inside

So many players are so damn scared. We're past the point where it's okay to get full held on Hanamura guys. How many times do I have to fly through the window, pull the attention of three of them, rain fire down on their asses, and watch my team still standing behind the choke even though the enemy Reinhardt shield is pointing the other goddamn way like holy fucking shit this is war guys not all of us are going to survive stop being so fucking scared.

This is always what i thought as well but as I've gotten better and started playing with better more coordinated players ive found it can actually be really effective.

If Rein can get a pin with the charge and be backed up by a Zarya you can almost win a time fight instantly. Its especially effective on places like the first point in Kings Row, as even if he trades 1for1 hes got such a short distance to travel to get back in the fight.

Depends. Are you on attack or defense?

We lost a game on Anubis yesterday because our defending Reinhart thought it would be a great idea to charge down the length of the main strip when the enemy Zenyatta charge in with his Ult.

He wanted to pin the Zenyatta and get him out of there, but he had pretty much zero chance of actually landing the charge. So the enemy team ignored him and let him go zooming all the way out while they charged in with Zarya's Ult and just wiped us clean.

That choke and the first gate in Hanamura are like trust-falls for Reins. You have to trust and believe that your flankers are doing work or you just know you are going to get swarmed from both flanks. If you think your DPSs are sketchy, it can be really hard to take those first steps through the choke.

On the other hand, when I'm playing D.Va, my thought is, "Let's go, let's go. Don't worry- whatever happens, I'll make it out fine. Let's GO!" (jk, mostly)

So many players are so damn scared. We're past the point where it's okay to get full held on Hanamura guys. How many times do I have to fly through the window, pull the attention of three of them, rain fire down on their asses, and watch my team still standing behind the choke even though the enemy Reinhardt shield is pointing the other goddamn way like holy fucking shit this is war guys not all of us are going to survive stop being so fucking scared.

I've been there..

OP strat for the first point of Hanamura.
Get Lucio to speed boost the team through the choke, everyone jump on the point then you basically become the defending team.

LiK

yea, and when I have 4 guys on top of me, it means they're not attacking the rest of the team so push! i was literally slackjawed when my mech was destroyed and i saw the Rein still at choke just sitting there. lol

yea, and when I have 4 guys on top of me, it means they're not attacking the rest of the team so push! i was literally slackjawed when my mech was destroyed and i saw the Rein still at choke just sitting there. lol

This is why I call out every kill on the kill feed sometimes.

I call out my own kills, but I'll call out other things on the kill feed over voice chat so people know exactly when the advantage hits.

As soon as we get that second kill, I go all coach on my team and tell them to get in there and push the line.

ISOM

Compared to last season this season has been a lot more shittier in regards to teammates. You would think somethings would be learned after season 1 but nope.

That right there is make-or-break for my enjoyment when playing Winston.

Winston in the backfield with most of the enemy team on him creates opportunities for the rest of your team, whether it's a push to the point or just 2:1 fighting odds.

But if they don't capitalize, you're just ult fodder. Basically, it comes down to if your team has situational awareness or not.

Azoor

I think we should use the "prefer this player" feature as much as we can to avoid bad teammates. Us who have been playing since launch must have played with at least few thousands players. So using this feature will really help.

You know what I would love to see? Some sort of "momentum meter" at the top of the screen. Something that very clearly calls out how many players are alive on each team. I want it to be in your face that you have a 6v4 advantage and you need to push fucking now.

Also, having the kill feed be off by default was a really, really dumb move in my opinion.

Jellie

That hanamura game last week you were fearless. Just charged in with dva and caused a nuisance. Took me time to react admittedly as I was shocked but we won.

LiK

That hanamura game last week you were fearless. Just charged in with dva and caused a nuisance. Took me time to react admittedly as I was shocked but we won.

yup, if we play together on Hanamura or Volksya on Attack, expect me to fly around as D.va to get to the point asap to distract the team. It's so easy to cause them to turn away from the choke. i even figured out a good spot to fly over some buildings in Eichenwalde to get to that point as well. It's a lot of fun and D.va can stall with the DM unless there's a Mei or Zarya sitting there which is rare.

Jellie

yup, if we play together on Hanamura or Volksya on Attack, expect me to fly around as D.va to get to the point asap to distract the team. It's so easy to cause them to turn away from the choke. i even figured out a good spot to fly over some buildings in Eichenwalde to get tot hat point as well. It's a lot of fun and D.va can stall with the DM unless there's a Mei or Zarya sitting there which is rare.
Is the eichenwalde building opposite spawn?

Compared to last season this season has been a lot more shittier in regards to teammates. You would think somethings would be learned after season 1 but nope.

I think every first half of every season is always going to be a mess. People are going to always be trying to figure out the new meta, and maybe push their low tier characters into matches, which means pissing off randoms and such.

Look at Hanzo this season. People would bitch non-stop about a Hanzo on the team for the first couple weeks, but somehow, he's almost become accepted. People can appreciate a good Hanzo, and don't get upset right off the bat everytime now.

NBtoaster

Seems like I can get to around 2200 then start getting rekt by players that can actually aim. Like people do flicking stuff with their mouse when they fire and I can't do that shit.

That right there is make-or-break for my enjoyment when playing Winston.

Winston in the backfield with most of the enemy team on him creates opportunities for the rest of your team, whether it's a push to the point or just 2:1 fighting odds.

But if they don't capitalize, you're just ult fodder. Basically, it comes down to if your team has situational awareness or not.

I love it when you play Winston and just dive into the back line. It gives me so much free charge and a distraction for me to start melting peoples faces.

BigDug13

OK just a scared Reinhardt. What's better to have a scared Reinhardt or a charge happy one?

A charging Rein might get a kill before getting destroyed and in King's Row, you would start to win the spawn placement battle (unless a Symmetra has their ult up).

matmanx1

I had a really rare thing happen in Overwatch last night. I won THREE games in a row in Competitive and two of the three were back to back Eichenwalde.

I'm a little over 2100 SR, Gold tier, so even more rare was that my team mates were listening and responsive to calls for pushes and grouping up! If you were on my team last night, I thank you!

The first game was my best, statistically speaking. I played Zenyatta and had 16 Elims vs 2 Deaths and 39 defensive assists with 63% kill participation. I got quite a few card votes for that one!

Even so, my SR only went up by about 25 points with each win. Do we really think that SR gain is gimped by playing support? I sure hope not but even if there is some small difference, as long as I am having fun and helping my team win I'm going to stick with it.

Skii

Depends. If your team is coordinating it works. Reinhardt shield preventing your mccrees deadeye? Charge him down. Though usually it's free kill but if your DPS is good they can use the space it creates to kill their support while everyone focuses on Reinhardt.

This is always what i thought as well but as I've gotten better and started playing with better more coordinated players ive found it can actually be really effective.

If Rein can get a pin with the charge and be backed up by a Zarya you can almost win a time fight instantly. Its especially effective on places like the first point in Kings Row, as even if he trades 1for1 hes got such a short distance to travel to get back in the fight.

Whenever I play, there is never any coordination between support/tanks so there'll never be a Zarya bubble or Winston bubble to protect Reinhardt. Whenever the charge happens, it's always into a 6 man group and the rest of the team can't push up because they aren't fast enough. It might work with a Lucio speedboost but this is solo queue we're talking about.

I do agree that a good Reinhardt charge accompanied by a bubble or at least a distraction completely destroys any momentum a wave of attack has but you rarely get that type of coordination on solo queue.

BigDug13

I had a really rare thing happen in Overwatch last night. I won THREE games in a row in Competitive and two of the three were back to back Eichenwalde.

I'm a little over 2100 SR, Gold tier, so even more rare was that my team mates were listening and responsive to calls for pushes and grouping up! If you were on my team last night, I thank you!

The first game was my best, statistically speaking. I played Zenyatta and had 16 Elims vs 2 Deaths and 39 defensive assists with 63% kill participation. I got quite a few card votes for that one!

Even so, my SR only went up by about 25 points with each win. Do we really think that SR gain is gimped by playing support? I sure hope not but even if there is some small difference, as long as I am having fun and helping my team win I'm going to stick with it.

I don't think Zenyatta faces the same support bias as the others as far as rank since you deal a good amount of damage and elims. At least I hope not. If I'm contributing silver or gold healing while getting bronze elims, that's doing well offensively and defensively and I would hate to have some bias against my advancement when I'm playing great support and middle of the pack damage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know, how is a zen able to outheal mercy?

I wasn't even that on point with my trancendence.

Also featured a hanzo player who does not switch until we're about to lose.

SO yeah.

Guess what the result was.

aeolist

Banned

SO yeah.

a lot of people on the blizzard forums are guessing that mercy's ranked points are highly dependent on her assists

not sure if that is the cause but i've noticed a lot more of them boosting instead of healing these days

Jellie

a lot of people on the blizzard forums are guessing that mercy's ranked points are highly dependent on her assists

not sure if that is the cause but i've noticed a lot more of them boosting instead of healing these days
Is Lucio's also dependant on assists? I get more than I lose with him and would guess it's down to my average offensive assists being 5 times the top 1% on overbuff.

aeolist

Banned
Is Lucio's also dependant on assists? I get more than I lose with him and would guess it's down to my average offensive assists being 5 times the top 1% on overbuff.

probably

nobody really knows because blizzard keeps those factors hidden

which leads to all kinds of weird theories and people playing selfishly to try and maximize points instead of doing what's best for the team

SO yeah.

Eh, Mercy is terrible at topping people off for health, while Zen can do so without actually having to travel to each individual teammates. And since Mercy is single target only, she'll find herself damage boosting when that target is at full health.

One that that annoys me like crazy is a mercy healing me when I'm at full. I saw it a lot during the Mercy Rez of the Game we had for a couple weeks there. Mercy would Rez and then heal full health targets instead of damage boosting them. Which basically means they're not contributing anything.

Mei is great at controlling Zarya once her bubble is down, which is huge this season with how game changing Zarya is.

Note I'm speaking from console experience.

This is very true. I've been spending a ton of time with Zarya lately (PS4) and every time I stumble upon a "too close" Mei I'm praying for a teammate to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom