• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

I wonder if it's an intended side effect that bad Mei players are a detriment to both sides? STOP WALLING MY GRAVITON SURGE TEAM MEI! YOU'RE NOT A-MEI-ZING!

Mei's that are oblivious to how their wall affects ongoing situation / fight are literally WORST. So fun to see team members die just because Mei walled them in with enemy team and don't break wall down etc.

Mei's that are oblivious to how their wall affects ongoing situation / fight are literally WORST. So fun to see team members die just because Mei walled them in with enemy team and don't break wall down etc.

Yep. I'd be more forgiving of their shitty spacial awareness if they at least had the foresight to drop their walls.

Crazy enough, if you had the pistol out and landed just one bullet hit you may have gotten that Res out. I've learned to always have the gun out when you're not healing or buffing. It may not seem like much for a Mercy to throw random shots around but it can make or break having a Res.

...well, shit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
People should just be less passive with mercy's pistol overall. Sometimes it's better than just straight damage boosting.

Players like unkoe regularly turn up on the killfeed as mercy.

aeolist

Banned
what confuses me is when i'm playing roadhog and get boosted

i'm pretty sure most people are getting one shot regardless if i hook them

Moonkeis

Is there a way to permanently block "all" chat? I have such a great time when I don't need to see nonsense even during a bad game by just muting.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If you're doing it right you can heal more as Lucio. Mercy can only single target heal. To maximize Lucio's healing potential you want to utilize your position and proximity to heal as much of your group as possible in any given moment.

Maximizing your healing potential above all else is not "doing it right".

Playing Lucio correctly means using your speed boost more liberally than the average QPer. It can also mean knowing when to engage enemies by knowing when your involvement with your gun and melee can help focus down certain targets in a team fight. Trying to just put yourself in the middle of your team to make your healing numbers go up higher might give you some personal satisfaction but it won't necessarily help you win.

Antiwhippy

Playing Lucio correctly means using your speed boost more liberally than the average QPer. It can also mean knowing when to engage enemies by knowing when your involvement with your gun and melee can help focus down certain targets in a team fight. Trying to just put yourself in the middle of your team to make your healing numbers go up higher might give you some personal satisfaction but it won't necessarily help you win.

I only really do that if I'm in a group. With randoms it's a bit of a crapshoot if they can take advantage of it, especially on the lower levels.

Kinda why I want to get a mic to call it out on solo Q.

Tovarisc

Yet that is how 9 out of 10 Lucio's play in QP and Ranked. Heal stance 24/7.

So Wyndstriker's post made me wonder: what other "obvious in retrospect" tip or secret do you have that you would be willing to share? Even if it's one you think everyone knows, it might help the plebes like me.

Mine would be the final corner on King's Row. If you're D.Va on Defense, you can drop into the chasm directly outside the spawn door and boost under the building and then up, and end up behind the enemy team. Killing the Mercy you often find there will improve your team's chances immensely. Also works on Offense going the other way if you're feeling frisky (or need a miracle ult to win).

I'm sure everyone knew this, but this is the kind of thing I had in mind when asking the question. All it takes is one person who didn't for it all to be worthwhile. Unless they're on the other team.

Soulflarz

Banned
3-0 on pc

so uhh
actual question

Will I place lower if I do all my placements with my friends in the 2000s vs soloing? :x

Wondering because you know, don't exactly want to throw away rank that takes time to grind solely to play my first 10 matches with friends.

edit: I mean this in the most statistical way possible
does going 10-0 with people in 2000s kill my rank potential vs letting it fluctuate into the 3500s?

I'm asking because I remember when 4 of us were 65-75 and we grabbed our friend who quit launch month and made him tank 10 matches, we went like 6-4, and he still placed 63, even though afterwards he was unable to hold his own in that bracket and fell way down.

Your posts reek of basically saying its sour grapes or something. Zarya's beam was buffed, whether it was intentional or not, who knows, but this isn't just in players heads. I noticed it the first freaking time I used her post patch, lol.

This simply isn't true, maybe it is just AA, but it increased her effective range some how. I could hold her beam just as well before the patch and was not getting hit markers at the length you do now.

It's the AA- I had Zarya's range worked out perfectly when playing D.Va. After the update she could hit me at that range. Her beam is a straight line now, where it started to turn noodley at that range before.

komaruR

3-0 on pc

so uhh
actual question

Will I place lower if I do all my placements with my friends in the 2000s vs soloing? :x

Wondering because you know, don't exactly want to throw away rank that takes time to grind solely to play my first 10 matches with friends.

edit: I mean this in the most statistical way possible
does going 10-0 with people in 2000s kill my rank potential vs letting it fluctuate into the 3500s?

it might, since you will be que to your invisible current SR with your friends avg people.

when you solo que for placement, you general will know where you are when you start seeing people with emblem ranks within the non placed players. its an indication where you are now.

im my opinion the medal/stats and performance during placement will be the factor to place you at which tier. once SR is known, I think only the win/loss + the SR delta between your team and enmy team will factor into SR point gain.

to prove my theory.
Question to those that group up. Do you gain the same amount of SR point after win, regardless your SR difference? is it the same for losing?

xaosslug

Got grouped with a Torb in comp who built his turret at the end of the map and stayed there until the other team came to him....wtf

i was once grouped (in competitive) w/ a Torb that never dropped a turret or armor and ran around like a freaking Reaper shotgunning peeps in the face. He was good, but it was kind of a waste of Torb's attributes... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ryan299

6 days into the game and I love it. Tracer and Genji need to be nerfed though. They're ridiculous.

Also I've done the achievement for 4 kills with D.Va's ultimate and it hasn't unlocked.

Soulflarz

Banned
it might, since you will be que to your invisible current SR with your friends avg people.

when you solo que for placement, you general will know where you are when you start seeing people with emblem ranks within the non placed players. its an indication where you are now.

im my opinion the medal/stats and performance during placement will be the factor to place you at which tier. once SR is known, I think only the win/loss + the SR delta between your team and enmy team will factor into SR point gain.

to prove my theory.
Question to those that group up. Do you gain the same amount of SR point after win, regardless your SR difference? is it the same for losing?

No. SR doesn't really work like that

I know how SR works except for placement- you can very easily rig aspects of your placement outside of solo queue.

I guess my question is, how badly will playing with others ruin it?

Antiwhippy

It does take your own performance into account, though I think it might also be judging how your performance is relative to the skill of your opponents + how your character performs based on map or general skill area etc. etc.

Soulflarz

Banned
It does take your own performance into account, though I think it might also be judging how your performance is relative to the skill of your opponents + how your character performs based on map or general skill area etc. etc.

oh man
The real OT convos
we doing this again antiwhippy :3

also
edit: might switch to zarya on pc, can't rely on low level tanks

Soooo what's the counter for 6 Dva

Had this exact problem the other night on Nepal (I was the lone D.Va on my team). We went 4 Junkrat, 1 Tracer, one Genji (the last two to stealth camp the objective if needed) and cleaned up. All-Bastions can wreck all-D.Vas as well.

My personal dream is to counter with 6 D.Vas and wipe them out, but I realize not a lot of people are that proficient with her in QP.

People should just be less passive with mercy's pistol overall. Sometimes it's better than just straight damage boosting.

Players like unkoe regularly turn up on the killfeed as mercy.

Yeah definitely. I solo'd a Zarya with her the other day.

It's also a really good counter to Widowmaker since you can just make a curtain of bullets. I play Widow mostly and it drives me nuts.

Tabby

Team doing well in competitive and I finally might get a win but then there's a power outage and everything goes off.

It's like the world wants me to go down to 0.

komaruR

oh man
The real OT convos
we doing this again antiwhippy :3

also
edit: might switch to zarya on pc, can't rely on low level tanks

you can be our test subject and que with your SR 2000s friends and see what SR you get? :p

anyway, just do whatever you think is best. we all just speculating since theirs no clear answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom