• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKizzLE

3-0 on pc

so uhh
actual question

Will I place lower if I do all my placements with my friends in the 2000s vs soloing? :x

Wondering because you know, don't exactly want to throw away rank that takes time to grind solely to play my first 10 matches with friends.

edit: I mean this in the most statistical way possible
does going 10-0 with people in 2000s kill my rank potential vs letting it fluctuate into the 3500s?

I'm asking because I remember when 4 of us were 65-75 and we grabbed our friend who quit launch month and made him tank 10 matches, we went like 6-4, and he still placed 63, even though afterwards he was unable to hold his own in that bracket and fell way down.

I mean, my friend lost 6 of his 10 placement matches and placed at 2950. So as long as your outperform the comp, no matter who your playing with, you'll be fine.

Bastion is seen as the most worthless one.

Junkrat gets some play on certain maps. He gets A LOT of play even on attack on the lower-mid tier levels.

Wny does bastion suck so much. His turret thing seems great

And why did they nerf symmetra and the dwarf so hard. Any plans to rebalance low tier characters? Both snipers seem worthless too

So Wyndstriker's post made me wonder: what other "obvious in retrospect" tip or secret do you have that you would be willing to share? Even if it's one you think everyone knows, it might help the plebes like me.

Mine would be the final corner on King's Row. If you're D.Va on Defense, you can drop into the chasm directly outside the spawn door and boost under the building and then up, and end up behind the enemy team. Killing the Mercy you often find there will improve your team's chances immensely. Also works on Offense going the other way if you're feeling frisky (or need a miracle ult to win).

I'm sure everyone knew this, but this is the kind of thing I had in mind when asking the question. All it takes is one person who didn't for it all to be worthwhile. Unless they're on the other team.

If you're Mercy, and a teammate gets charged, and everyone is full health. Shoot the Rein. If he's low you may kill him before he hits a wall and save your teammate. Mercy can't do anything about teammates caught in rein's charge unless they're a tank. At that point you can heal them.

Ana's biotic rifle has a visible yet hiscanned shot when sniped, and an invisible, projectile shot when hip fired. This can be used to your advantage, especially if you want to heal without giving away your position.

On Gibraltar attack, always look out the top window at the office to get a recon of the enemy composition. If you're lucky you can hero swap to counter it before the match starts.

Always have the kill cam on. You can see the ult charge of the enemy that killed you or also maybe their teleporter location.

Torbjorns hammer is a very good melee weapon.

Pharah can super boost jump with rocket jump + concussive blast + jump jet if timed right.

Follow a friendly Mei if an AOE ult is about to go off. Them turning into ice is also your wall to save you.

Soulflarz

Banned

And why did they nerf symmetra and the dwarf so hard. Any plans to rebalance low tier characters? Both snipers seem worthless too

The issue isn't their damage output, tiers in OW are largely based on their tools
IE- nerfing lucios speedboost and zens discord didn't suddenly make them less viable, it just made them a bit less overwhelming in every match.

Bastion is awful because the entire meta™ isn't really about setting up in a single spot, and that heroes that are favorite picks and such have great methods to maime them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Hanzo gets more play than widow. Thing is he's better on attack, which might horrify most people in this thread.

Bastion is bad because he's too stationary in a game all about mobility, so he's real easy to get focused down on.

komaruR

Not a attack bastion
I like to do a sudden bastion swap for attacking hanamaru b. I will then try sneak me way to the right stairs and mid platform while my team engage and keep their focus away from me while i mow them down. If they left u unchecked you can usually mow down 3 enemy before they catch on.
When i do die i will usually be near ult. And boy bastion ult on hanamaru b as attacker is no joke. Just keep firing at their spawn exit while staying on b and they cant do anything. Tho your team needs to push and keep the enmy more less a full group. As in killing as much enmy as possible to force them to trickle out.

I'm feeling pretty good about my Zarya these days. I'm pretty consistent at getting golds with her. And I've learned the value of popping my bubble mid-damage rather then before. Same with bubbling my team. Secondary fire is king too, that thing just shreds mid distance targets.

I want more though, Overwatch Gaf! Are there any pro tips you guys can bestow upon me?

darklin0

Banned
I just played a game where I ended with 0 everything because the 2 and 3 solo queue players did not join Team chat. I was playing Rein and every time I tried to push forward no one in my team came with me. I saw in my kill cams they all stood at the choke doing nothing, literally nothing.

I don't even know what to say. I can't even try and think of what I could of done better, or how I could of played differently. I have no idea how to process this. I lost 30 points for nothing.

komaruR

eichanwalde dva and pharah sneak routes.
http://plays.tv/s/KxhuH2k30RiF

if the other team dont have a bastion, then flying over the broken building and hide until your team is in position (ie, if you have a teammate died, wait until he get respawned and ready to push thru when you lure a capable away from the choke) before you do a sneak cap to lure enemy away.

now if there's a bastion sitting on the 2nd floor deck. you wanna either go the right side route (fly over or try skim around the outer edge of the map). But I would prefer a pharah to do the right route this time because dva, cannot crouch walk to be silent. pharah in the other hand could crouch walk all the way to the 2nd floor deck to assassinate the camping bastion there. also at the position you can have view against enemy team that huddles up near the stairs/first gate checkpoint after payload.

hope this helps.

bonus pharah flying under the bridge at the final castle gate might be a way for sneak ult if enemy are setup there or your payload was stuck there.

btw for sneak cap, dva is always better than pharah because she's more beefy and usually require a more than 1 teammate to come after u (effectively lure them away from the choke)

Antiwhippy

I just played a game where I ended with 0 everything because the 2 and 3 solo queue players did not join Team chat. I was playing Rein and every time I tried to push forward no one in my team came with me. I saw in my kill cams they all stood at the choke doing nothing, literally nothing.

I don't even know what to say. I can't even try and think of what I could of done better, or how I could of played differently. I have no idea how to process this. I lost 30 points for nothing.

At some point it's better to get off rein in those situations because being rein does nothing.

I had a similar game once where I was rein solo tanking with a hanzo and attack torb and we couldn't get shit done. So I got off rein, went soldier, we won the whole game.

Sometimes you just gotta get shit done yourself. Rein is too dependant on a team.

R0ckman

I've never seen so much stupid in a game like this. PvP in Destiny never pissed me off this much.

xaosslug

eichanwalde dva and pharah sneak routes.
http://plays.tv/s/KxhuH2k30RiF

if the other team dont have a bastion, then flying over the broken building and hide until your team is in position (ie, if you have a teammate died, wait until he get respawned and ready to push thru when you lure a capable away from the choke) before you do a sneak cap to lure enemy away.

now if there's a bastion sitting on the 2nd floor deck. you wanna either go the right side route (fly over or try skim around the outer edge of the map). But I would prefer a pharah to do the right route this time because dva, cannot crouch walk to be silent. pharah in the other hand could crouch walk all the way to the 2nd floor deck to assassinate the camping bastion there. also at the position you can have view against enemy team that huddles up near the stairs/first gate checkpoint after payload.

hope this helps.

bonus pharah flying under the bridge at the final castle gate might be a way for sneak ult if enemy are setup there or your payload was stuck there.

btw for sneak cap, dva is always better than pharah because she's more beefy and usually require a more than 1 teammate to come after u (effectively lure them away from the choke)

ok, wow. I knew about the first D.Va one, but not the other two! This is cool! Thank you :D

Mik317

man I love this game. I should get the PC version

<gets PC version>

how do I walk

<get wrecked>

lawd I felt so bad, letting my team down. I know what I should be doing but WASD is like some ancient mystical magic to me right now.

wowzers

Soulflarz

Banned
man I love this game. I should get the PC version

<gets PC version>

how do I walk

<get wrecked>

lawd I felt so bad, letting my team down. I know what I should be doing but WASD is like some ancient mystical magic to me right now.

wowzers

use controll-
*snrk*

darklin0

Banned
At some point it's better to get off rein in those situations because being rein does nothing.

I had a similar game once where I was rein solo tanking with a hanzo and attack torb and we couldn't get shit done. So I got off rein, went soldier, we won the whole game.
Sometimes you just gotta get shit done yourself. Rein is too dependant on a team.

I wish I could of done something, I play Rein the most out of all tanks and if the conditions are right I can end a game with most elims and top damage.

The only problem was that I was the only tank. I switched after dying the second time to Roadhog and was literally walking to the point but somehow my team could not make it past the 2 arches. (Anubis 1st cp)

I've never seen so much stupid in a game like this. PvP in Destiny never pissed me off this much.

I have lost a lot of games where we just bad calls on our side, or we had a troll, or a game that was evenly matched. Today was the first time I could not do anything to help my team. On defense I decided to go support to see if that would be better. I proceeded to watch my team die in seconds and the enemy team cap without a minute on the clock.

If you're Mercy, and a teammate gets charged, and everyone is full health. Shoot the Rein. If he's low you may kill him before he hits a wall and save your teammate. Mercy can't do anything about teammates caught in rein's charge unless they're a tank. At that point you can heal them.

Ana's biotic rifle has a visible yet hiscanned shot when sniped, and an invisible, projectile shot when hip fired. This can be used to your advantage, especially if you want to heal without giving away your position.

On Gibraltar attack, always look out the top window at the office to get a recon of the enemy composition. If you're lucky you can hero swap to counter it before the match starts.

Always have the kill cam on. You can see the ult charge of the enemy that killed you or also maybe their teleporter location.

Torbjorns hammer is a very good melee weapon.

Pharah can super boost jump with rocket jump + concussive blast + jump jet if timed right.

Follow a friendly Mei if an AOE ult is about to go off. Them turning into ice is also your wall to save you.

Most of those don't apply to my mains (D.Va, Rein, Lucio), but that Mei one is gold! Thanks!

Borden

Neo Member
Just getting back into this. 4-6-1 on placement (20xx and now 21xx) on PS4. Pharah seems to be more manageable (like she can't spend as much time in the air) but still a welcome sight if she's on my team. D.Vas matrix is OP. It's just as strong as Reins shield but she has a better ult, movement and basically a second life. And Tracer seems a bit too strong if used even half way proper. Junkrat and Soilder are a great combo.

bigzgod

Bastion is bad because he's too stationary in a game all about mobility, so he's real easy to get focused down on.

Heh, iddqd found possibly one of the better Bastion mains in the world a few days ago on his stream

So Bastion lovers, have hope, maybe you can be like this Bastion main! :p

lZlmpJw.png

* I take no responsibility for anyone that chooses to main Bastion following the viewing of this post

Please don't blame me ;_;

Antiwhippy

Heh, iddqd found possibly one of the better Bastion mains in the world a few days ago on his stream

So Bastion lovers, have hope, maybe you can be like this Bastion main! :p

lZlmpJw.png

* I take no responsibility for anyone that chooses to main Bastion following the viewing of this post

Please don't blame me ;_;

Oh man.

Any possible links to the VoD?

Afreeca freecs red was running bastion with some limited success in one of the videos I've watched.

Danj

I lost in comp but didn't lose any points. Does Blizzard finally recognize that i'm giving it all i've got?

No, they just made it more difficult to tell what/how many points you lost by only displaying the rank you went down to instead of counting down in the same way they count up for a win. So you probably did lose some points, you just can't tell unless you remember what rank you were before the match.

Soulflarz

Banned
4-1 for placements so far

but only playing in 2000s cause w/ friends, estimating 2500 with any luck
I'm coming to terms with the fact I'm shit without my ps4 friends since my entire reaper meta turned into abusing the extra hp from our strats. I basically play him in a way that's risky enough to always get you killed, except for when you know you have someone ready to save you so you can get the crazy risky double kill. As such, what's normally 50-10 is at mid levels a 25-15 game or something, it's kind of awkward, feels like I got nerfed without getting nerfed.

I can play zarya competently at high level though, so I might just do that.

Nothing quite like having 2 Widowmakers selected on KOTH to know that it's gonna be a good game....

Just had 2 Anas- in a group of 3. I have no idea what was going on there. I was Rein, and I appreciate the double-juicing, but I was glad when one switched off to Hanzo. That is my life now- Hanzo, wow! Nice!

Had this exact problem the other night on Nepal (I was the lone D.Va on my team). We went 4 Junkrat, 1 Tracer, one Genji (the last two to stealth camp the objective if needed) and cleaned up. All-Bastions can wreck all-D.Vas as well.

My personal dream is to counter with 6 D.Vas and wipe them out, but I realize not a lot of people are that proficient with her in QP.

2 mei is a huge advantage as she is now. Focus on freezing one and moving to the next one, skipping the alt fire portion. The less time they have to move about/fire, the better.

I'm an Ana main now. It's actually kind of stupid how often she can ult. If you just barely keep Rein alive through the end of your ult and nade/heal after, you can get 50% back immediately. She is also really good, so I don't see why people have problems with seeing her on their team/doubt her healing.

Edit: Oops. Excuse the double post, I am tired lol.

Greddleok

2 people focussing her down consistently. Pretty much the only reliable Zarya counter.

That, or Hanzo/Widowmaker at range. Less reliable though in my opinion.

Sure, here it is. Video starts at the time iddqd encounters the Bastion main.

Link

This video killed me.

I'm an Ana main now. It's actually kind of stupid how often she can ult. If you just barely keep Rein alive through the end of your ult and nade/heal after, you can get 50% back immediately. She is also really good, so I don't see why people have problems with seeing her on their team/doubt her healing.

Edit: Oops. Excuse the double post, I am tired lol.

Ana is awesome. She's rapidly catching up to my Pharah time played count.

Greddleok

I got the 4 kills while flying as Pharah trophy last night. I thought I'd never get it, and despite it being the turning point of our win, I didn't get PotG, so salty. A D.Va who wiped our team at the beginning of the match got it, well deserved.

As I said before, Pharah is becoming my go to DPS, unless the opposing team has a bunch of people who can easily shoot me out the air (76, Hanzo, McCree). Then I switch to 76.

Anyone got any tips on how to survive longer with Pharah? I get 90% of my kills by flying and it also lets you flank at weird angles, kill or make Reinhardts panic and also lets you get good angles to separate healers from the healed with the concussion missile. On the ground I feel shitty.
Do I need to be bobbing up and down more? Hugging cover? Not really sure what the best tactic is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom