• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zarya really doesn't need a nerf imo, and if anything is nerfed maybe revert the aim assist to what it was prior to the patch (she probably will be nerfed though given the constant talk of nerfing her). The issues with Zarya are literally down to her design, which can't really be changed. Her abilities are such that if your team mates aren't competent enough to stop shooting when shields are up, then it's gonna be hard, and obviously in public matches where communication isn't good enough, it's going to be even tougher.

Cappa

Banned
Removing her shields? That will never happen. The problem you're having is trying to 1v1 with her when you're not a tank killer. I'm able to take her out 1v1 as Reaper as long as I get her right after her bubble is down. Other than that, if people focus fire on her, they can take her out.
Exactly. People who want to nerf heroes just need to learn to counter. Zarya doesn't need a nerf and i have had absolutely no trouble playing against a Zarya. Her ultimate needs to be used right to be effective. That's why some one like reaper or mei are such good counters against Zarya.

Less complaining and just work on getting better.

i have the perfect fix for Zarya, what if when she gets 50 energy or more she enters a turret mode?
And how is that a fix? That seems like a nerf to me.

Like, a huge nerf. She's supposed to be moving around.

For this to work they'd have to rework her and I doubt they'd do that.

Like, what if Zarya is trying to get to cover and she pops a self shield to escape, but she turns into a stationary turret and is basically a free kill.

i have the perfect fix for Zarya, what if when she gets 50 energy or more she enters a turret mode?

New patch notes:
Zarya
-Added an ability that when Zarya shields a D.Va nuke, her energy level rises to over 9000, she goes Super Saiyan, and Kamehamehas the entire enemy team and her team gains all checkpoints and wins the match, game over nerds.

If I meet a good rein the PotG is usually the rein being nanoboosted by me and smashing everybody's face.

All but one of my PotGs as Rein have come from being nano-ed. I always feel bad for Ana. People are starting to get it though- she gets more votes than the Rein now.

PS- why the hell isn't there a trophy for Rein charging a D.Va ult off the objective? Call it "Suuuperman", or "Iron Giant" if you're boring. Really disappointed here, Blizz.

Owzers

New patch notes:
Zarya
-Added an ability that when Zarya shields a D.Va nuke, her energy level rises to over 9000, she goes Super Saiyan, and Kamehamehas the entire enemy team and her team gains all checkpoints and wins the match, game over nerds.

2103919-human_torch_flame_on.png

D.va, what have you done?

I'm feeling pretty good about my Zarya these days. I'm pretty consistent at getting golds with her. And I've learned the value of popping my bubble mid-damage rather then before. Same with bubbling my team. Secondary fire is king too, that thing just shreds mid distance targets.

I want more though, Overwatch Gaf! Are there any pro tips you guys can bestow upon me?

I don't have any tips aside from playing as close to the front lines as possible. I had an amazing defense game with her this morning on Dorado and we held off the team before they even moved the payload to under the first arch. In the end I'd bubbled 41 teammates and was on fire pretty much the whole match.

Ended up going up a whole 9 SR points. Lost the next game, went down 23. Numbers are dumb.

I'm only level 11 so forgive my naiveté, but it seems like a large % of my deaths come from Reaper players. Am I doing it wrong or does he need a nerfing?

I kinda like how Winston moves, but I'm finding it hard to dish out damage with him, which is weird, because he's a giant fucking gorilla. Is his gun weak as shit or am I, again, doing it wrong? I also can't seem to land his lunge attack or I don't know what to do when I do knock someone. Is it worth getting good with this dude? He's fun to play and a cool characters, I just can't figure out how to be useful with him.

JHall

I'm only level 11 so forgive my naiveté, but it seems like a large % of my deaths come from Reaper players. Am I doing it wrong or does he need a nerfing?

I kinda like how Winston moves, but I'm finding it hard to dish out damage with him, which is weird, because he's a giant fucking gorilla.

You're doing nothing wrong, the reason why you are dying is that Reaper is absolutely OP. You must remember whenever you die to a specific character it's because they didn't outplay you; they are using an unfair advantage by playing such an OP character. /s

Skii

I kinda like how Winston moves, but I'm finding it hard to dish out damage with him, which is weird, because he's a giant fucking gorilla. Is his gun weak as shit or am I, again, doing it wrong? I also can't seem to land his lunge attack or I don't know what to do when I do knock someone. Is it worth getting good with this dude? He's fun to play and a cool characters, I just can't figure out how to be useful with him.

Reaper is the absolute hard counter to Winston. Maybe that's why you're struggling with Reaper. His whole character revolves around shredding tanks. Any of the offensive heroes can outplay him with range and McCree is the hard counter to Reaper.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
You're doing nothing wrong, the reason why you are dying is that Reaper is absolutely OP. You must remember whenever you die to a specific character it's because they didn't outplay you; they are using an unfair advantage by playing such an OP character. /s

Reaper is OP

Nerf Zara

Lol wtf is going on in this thread

Edit: whoops, missed the sarcasm on Reaper, heh

You're doing nothing wrong, the reason why you are dying is that Reaper is absolutely OP. You must remember whenever you die to a specific character it's because they didn't outplay you; they are using an unfair advantage by using such an OP character. /s
Don't be mean, they're level 11

Reaper is supposed to be a tank buster due to the spread on his shotgun and the very large hit boxes tanks have. However he's not too bad, the range on his guns isn't great so if you see one near you, get away and shoot him from a range that is less suitable for him. Also if you see he is on low health and goes into wraith form, and you can do so safely, follow him and kill him. Unless they manage to wraith right onto a health pack you'll win.

Winston is good for fighting heroes who move around too much, snipers, and heroes with low HP. His gun doesn't do a lot of damage, but it locks on when they are in range and can even track multiple enemies at once.

It's not so useful against tanks, or anyone being actively healed, but if you're tired of Genji or Hanzo or Widow then Winston can be a great pick.

Also, like other shields in the game, Winston's shield can take more damage than it has HP as long as the final blow hits when it has 1HP or more. So, for example, Winston can drop his shield around an ulting DVa and completely negate it.

WhyMe6

Finally crawled out of <23XX hell, into 24XX. It's much nicer here already. I'm getting matched with Platinum groups who understand team comp. When I win it feels like a team effort, and when I lose it feels fair. It's crazy how much of a contrast it is to 21XX-23XX, where I felt like some of the teams were holding players back who were trying to do well with bad picks and ridiculously stupid choices in matches.

Or maybe it's just the time of night.

LiK

Reaper is a strong DPS hero and new players will die to him a lot. We all know the feeling. don't worry, he's less of an issue when you know how to deal with him.

Cappa

Banned
Reaper is annoying but he's easy to counter. You know he's coming because his sound cues fucking leave little in the way for stealth. Just keep your ears open and you'll know reaper is coming.

Don't get caught alone with a reaper in short distances. That's probably the easiest tactic.

Reaper being op is silly though... He needs to be surrounded with a good team to be effective. A reaper constantly being getting caught alone by enemy team renders him useless. He's best sneaking behind the enemy team when they are in engaging in firefight.
I'll take "People can't come to terms that other players are better than them on the internet" for 400, Alex.
This is something I'll never understand unless a hero is so op it's a game breaker I don't understand why a hero would ever need to be nerfed.

Some people just don't like the idea of there being better players out there

JHall

Guys and gals, we really need cut it out on the nerf talk. The internet is going to turn this game into Destiny. Destiny's multiplayer was fasted paced, fun, and took a reasonable amount of skill when it came out. Then everyone started crying for nerfs to weapons they couldn't use and Bungie gave in. Now, I trust Blizzard's balancing more than Bungie's. But, saying "nerf this, nerf that" etc, is not good.

Auctopus

The only thing you're doing wrong is assuming that a character needs a nerf because you're dying a lot to them.

Or maybe that's right? Seems like a lot of people do it.

Don't get so close to Reaper. His shotguns are deadly close up and edgy Reaper plays will try to chase you down like the dog you are. Try to outplay them strategically, most Reapers players I meet aren't big thinkers.

Guys and gals, we really need cut it out on the nerf talk. The internet is going to turn this game into Destiny. Destiny's multiplayer was fasted paced, fun, and took a reasonable amount of skill when it came out. Then everyone started crying for nerfs to weapons they couldn't use and Bungie gave in. Now, I trust Blizzard's balancing more than Bungie's. But, saying "nerf this, nerf that" etc, is not good.
Yeah you're right.

But delete Junkrat though.

JHall, you seem sensitive. Didn't realize nerfing was such a hot button issue in these here parts. A simple question from a new player was all it was, friends.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm enjoying learning all the characters and what counters what.

Junkrat annoys me but only because his weapon has a large "premeditated shooting" element to it if that makes sense. Like unlike other heroes who shoot on sight, Junkrat will often shoot before sight and still kill you which can be a bit frustrating.

I think he's fine tho.

lol no

Destiny's multi was awful at launch. It hasn't gotten any better, true, but at least it's vaguely more balanced.

Overwatch, though, I would agree with you: I don't think anybody right now is strictly speaking overpowered. It's more that a large part of the cast is either underpowered or overspecialized. We don't need nerfs, we need buffs and reworks.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Junkrat annoys me but only because his weapon has a large "premeditated shooting" element to it if that makes sense. Like unlike other heroes who shoot on sight, Junkrat will often shoot before sight and still kill you which can be a bit frustrating.

I think he's fine tho.

Junkrat spam is pretty balanced. You just need to pay attention to where the Junkrat is focusing his spam at the moment. If you get unlucky, you do just explode. However, killing a complete random you didn't even see or know was there is just the best with Junkrat.

Linkinito

Just look at Zarya's bubble abilities:

- You can still shoot while using it - every other protective ability cancels your ability to shoot.
- Opponents who shoot it makes your gun stronger. Zarya's special, but is definitely critical in terms of DPS.
- 360° protection. Most shields
- Absorbs EVERYTHING. Some shields have their weaknesses, but NOTHING pierces Zarya's bubbles.
- Can protect against "one blow ults" which do more than 200 damage (Junkrat, D.Va, McCree, Tracer's bomb even if you're stuck).
- Cancels Discord orb when summoned (akin to Reaper Spectral form, Tracer rewind, Mei stasis).

Don't tell me it's balanced after that because a good Zarya can't be countered by a single hero.

I think he's fine tho.

Junkrat is my favorite character to play as, and 50% of the time I'm playing I'm still cursing out any enemy Junkrat.

The other 50% I'm cursing enemy Mei.

- You can still shoot while using it - every other protective ability cancels your ability to shoot.
- Opponents who shoot it makes your gun stronger. Zarya's special, but is definitely critical in terms of DPS.
- Absorbs EVERYTHING. Some shields have their weaknesses, but NOTHING pierces Zarya's bubbles.
- Can protect against "one blow ults" which do more than 200 damage (Junkrat, D.Va, McCree, Tracer's bomb even if you're stuck).
- Cancels Discord orb when summoned (akin to Reaper Spectral form, Tracer rewind, Mei stasis).

Don't tell me it's balanced after that because a good Zarya can't be countered by a single hero.

She also has zero mobility options, the lowest health of any tank, and her ult does low damage and requires teamwork to utilize most of the time.

Just because her bubbles don't have weaknesses doesn't mean the character is overpowered. I've outdueled Zarya as a Tracer before by simply zipping around and baiting the bubble but not shooting while it was up, and the Zarya couldn't deal with it or get away from me because I could chase her down. Genji is similar, and Reaper can shred her bubble and her before she can do enough damage most of the time.

Of characters I want to bitch about, Zarya is probably one of the least likely.

Chance

Agreed. Winston's bubble is totally OP.

Ohhh you were talking about Zarya. Yeah she's bullshit too! And Widowmakers who headshot! Also McCree!

Do you ever have those moments where there is a Graviton up, and basically the whole enemy team is stuck in it. And you are just blindly firing away at the hopeless enemies and just racking up kills and after every one you just chuck your discord to the next guy. And then the dust settles and for a split second you think the rapid discord trophy might just pop.

Feelsbadman.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Torb and junkrat on Koth leaving only 1 tank and dps.

Went as expected.

I'm at this point where I want torb nerfed to the point that they make it so that no one wants to play him.

Not True, Winston can attack while his Bubble is deployed. So can Mei with her Ice Wall.

This is a Double-edged sword, as sometimes it means you can't actually do any damage.

On a max of two targets

It also has the lowest HP of every other protective shield in the game. Reinhart's Shield, Winstons, Bubble, and Mei's Wall all have more HP, and more duration.

Some responses to this in Bold.

And yes, Zarya can be countered by most any hero with a beam weapon as well as a few others.

The way Winston, Mei, and another Zarya fire their weapons, it's really easy to simply stop shooting for a brief moment when she pops her bubble. Meanwhile, characters like Bastion can simply decided to chew through it, if need be.

The real thing going on right now is that Zarya has crazy synergy with the other current top tier heroes. This means she gets charge crazy fast, and her natural counters aren't common choices.

Junkrat is my favorite character to play as, and 50% of the time I'm playing I'm still cursing out any enemy Junkrat.

The other 50% I'm cursing enemy Mei.
Mei needs to get in on Junkrat and Roadhog's criminal shenanigans.
Junkrat spam is pretty balanced. You just need to pay attention to where the Junkrat is focusing his spam at the moment. If you get unlucky, you do just explode. However, killing a complete random you didn't even see or know was there is just the best with Junkrat.
Yup :p so many of my junkrat deathcams are just junkrat firing at a tank a few meters in front of me and then just myself exploding behind the tank.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Roadhog is such a badass. Amazing combination of resilience and straight annihilation. His hook never, ever gets old, and it's not difficult to aim at all surprisingly. A good Roadhog seriously creates some annoying choke points for the enemy.

Paches

What is going on with matchmaking today? 5 games, 4 of them all Koreans except me and they have been the most lopsided games I have ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom