• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
OW places you based on how you individually perform
You can win 50% and you'll still outplace where you are.

The system by design makes it very very hard to find an ELO hell scenario; it applies as a term to the average person who doesn't want to admit their rank is where they belong.

Yes, I know that sounds dickish, but that's actually the scenario we have. ELO hell isn't real in overwatch- wins/losses aren't what make or break you ranking up, hence it doesn't work the same as games that the term came from.

Basically if you're a 2000 and play at the skill of a 3500, you'll minimize your losses and rank up a ton. It's not based on an ELO system where it's just throwing two numbers at each other, hence ELO hell isn't really possible.

duckroll

I'm sure ELO Hell actually exists, but I don't think that really applies here yet. I mean, yeah it's a shitty rating and yeah the players I get matched with when I solo queue are really bad in general, but it's true for both sides. Unless I'm unlucky and get stuck with someone who decides to swap out of Lucio for Junkrat when we're up 2 rounds on Lijiang (this actually happened!!!), it's not all bad. The other team is often just as bad or worse, no one is very coordinated, so with a bit of nudging, it's not too hard to win.

Edit: Also I should probably mention that I'm not actually bothered by the ranking so much, because I don't even feel I'm a particularly good player. I feel my actual skill rating is probably pretty close to what I was placed at. The reason I'm motivated to dig myself out of this hole at all rather than just rolling with it, is because it fell far enough that I actually can't play with some friends who are hitting Diamond. Lol.

OW places you based on how you individually perform
You can win 50% and you'll still outplace where you are.

The system by design makes it very very hard to find an ELO hell scenario; it applies as a term to the average person who doesn't want to admit their rank is where they belong.

Yes, I know that sounds dickish, but that's actually the scenario we have. ELO hell isn't real in overwatch- wins/losses aren't what make or break you ranking up, hence it doesn't work the same as games that the term came from.
While I agree, some people can be screwed by the ELO system. I was too 500 last season and consider myself to be a great player(I hope people I've played with agree ;_;) and yet this season I can't even reach Diamond rank(3000), so there are definitely cases of people being in ELO hell and not being where they should be.

But again, I agree that ELO hell usually isn't the right term because most people are gonna be where they should be, skill wise. There are just those few cases where people are getting screwed over, but I hope that i win my next game(at 2982 right now) and get into Diamond rank and hopefully start rising at a better pace(hopefully).

Not really a pun as such. I was thinking maybe they got 1776 Overture mixed up with 10538 Overture.

(I've never heard of the term "ELO Hell" before, so I thought it was some kind of gag. I was terribly mistaken.)

It's the worst possible thing. It's when you start losing games, so the MM matches you with people of "similar" skill, so you get braindead teammates over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

*sob*

matmanx1

I hate junkrat cause so many times when I'm trying to kill him with a DPS character he just blindly fires his grenades and most of the time they just bounce around until hitting me. Especially in smaller spaces.

I have learned not to take Junkrat on in an enclosed space unless he's not looking at me. That grenade + mine combo is absolutely deadly and will bounce you off the walls as he's lining up his next grenade shot.

You know that backroom on the Nepal map that has the pit on three sides? Yeah I still have nightmares about a Junkrat hiding back there and what he did to our team as they came in the doors.

(Also, why do I always typo Junkrat as Junkrate? lol)

Should rename ELO hell to Duckroll's Inferno. He should document all the different layers of hell he's encountered in his journey.

Haha, ok I laughed waaaay too hard at this one. It's been a long week.

Soulflarz

Banned
While I agree, some people can be screwed by the ELO system. I was too 500 last season and consider myself to be a great player(I hope people I've played with agree ;_;) and yet this season I can't even reach Diamond rank(3000), so there are definitely cases of people being in ELO hell and not being where they should be.

But again, I agree that ELO hell usually isn't the right term because most people are gonna be where they should be, skill wise. There are just those few cases where people are getting screwed over, but I hope that i win my next game(at 2982 right now) and get into Diamond rank and hopefully start rising at a better pace(hopefully).

Yeah, I think it's moreso "I've had back luck and gotten stuck here for a bit", but people tend to instantly go "I was at what used to be 3000 on the old ranking system now I'm 2000 clearly I'm in ELO hell!", even though it's a diff thing going on. Pros aren't exactly placing at ridiculously high numbers or anything, and it's a grind. Especially since a lot of casuals quit OW- notice as a game gets older, the competition for percentile rankings gets exponentially higher.

And yes you're good :V I'd drag myself to top 500 with you if my zen/lucio friends would come with us >_>

Anyways, to sum it up, almost everyone using ELO hell isn't using it right and the term is kind of a joke for when they don't want to hear git gud.

xaosslug

ELO wrote that song about Mei, right?

Evil woman, No way out, Suspended in time, or Everyone is born to die?
17ANFRq.gif

duckroll

It's the worst possible thing. It's when you start losing games, so the MM matches you with people of "similar" skill, so you get braindead teammates over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

*sob*

Yes but this applies for the OTHER team too. I've experienced this first hand now, it's definitely possible to climb if you are really generally better than the average at that level.

5 braindead players + 1 good player vs 6 braindead players

Do the math!

Also, you'll almost certainly find other people who are in the same boat as yourself, and these people tend to want to work together since everyone wants to climb.

xaosslug

*sob*

they are stopped in their tracks by Bastions and Torbs! WTF?!?!
17ANFRq.gif

matmanx1

Actually, Your Overwatch did a good video on what "Elo Hell" really means not too long ago and I heartily agree with them. Real Elo Hell is when you place low enough (and I would imagine somewhere between 2500 and 3000 is where this stops becoming an issue) that you are, without fail, going to have at least 1 braindead / clueless team mate who does not understand team composition, map flow and how to win at Overwatch.

Linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhLRLht_2-o

To the guys who made the video, Elo Hell isn't really a problem with the system per se, it's a problem with being paired with people who may have similar mechanical skills but who's game knowledge and character choices are sorely lacking. And it is tough to get out of that type of setup once you are in it unless you massively improve. That is real Elo Hell in Overwatch.

Yeah, I think it's moreso "I've had back luck and gotten stuck here for a bit", but people tend to instantly go "I was at what used to be 3000 on the old ranking system now I'm 2000 clearly I'm in ELO hell!", even though it's a diff thing going on. Pros aren't exactly placing at ridiculously high numbers or anything, and it's a grind. Especially since a lot of casuals quit OW- notice as a game gets older, the competition for percentile rankings gets exponentially higher.

And yes you're good :V I'd drag myself to top 500 with you if my zen/lucio friends would come with us >_>

Anyways, to sum it up, almost everyone using ELO hell isn't using it right and the term is kind of a joke for when they don't want to hear git gud.
Oh yeah, I've definitely had some bad luck in my games. I had a game once where my teammate DCed on all three rounds of KOTH and was probably the reason we lost. Like I said, I hope Diamond starts giving better teammates and my bad luck runs out.

What's your PSN btw? Don't think I have you on my friends list.

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh yeah, I've definitely had some bad luck in my games. I had a game once where my teammate DCed on all three rounds of KOTH and was probably the reason we lost. Like I said, I hope Diamond starts giving better teammates and my bad luck runs out.

What's your PSN btw? Don't think I have you on my friends list.

You do iirc, it's Gd4033, because of reasons
involving my main name being taken when I was 8 and liked green day, then psn requirements made me add more to it so it looks ridiculous

You do iirc, it's Gd4033, because of reasons
involving my main name being taken when I was 8 and liked green day, then psn requirements made me add more to it so it looks ridiculous
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I have you.

I just knew you were a Reaper main and expected something edgy XD

Palmer_v1

I wasn't placed there. I placed 2289 or something. I had a few days of pure losing streaks regardless of what groups of friends I played it. A combination of bad luck, 6-stack matchmaking with wide skill ranges within the members, tilting, and some matches were everyone just honestly played like shit. Lol. It wasn't pleasant!

Well good luck!

I have to finish my placement matches yet. I'm currently 5 wins 3 losses, I think. The 5 wins were playing Zarya mostly. 3 losses were someone locking her in first, so I was stuck playing DPS, which I'm streaky with. I seem to dominate people in QP as Reaper, but haven't fared as well in Comp so far.

I really do think one of the ways to greatly improve your success in competitive is to increase the number of heroes you're proficient with. If you have 3 or less you really can't swap out into a better hero for the situation.

More heroes you can play, the more you can play the rock/paper/scissors game instead of just trying to brute force.

My internet has been ass the past couple days, I'm afraid to play OW and risk a d/c. Feels bad man. ;_;

Thats what QP is for, to get your OW fix without the penalties that matter.

I really do think one of the ways to greatly improve your success in competitive is to increase the number of heroes you're proficient with. If you have 3 or less you really can't swap out into a better hero for the situation.

More heroes you can play, the more you can play the rock/paper/scissors game instead of just trying to brute force.

This is 100% true.

I was a Pharah main in Season 1, but because of how the Meta shifted on PSN, I can't seem to find a good way to utilize her in Season 2. Because of this, I spent the first 40 games of comp trying to find my "place" so to speak. I still have/had my secondary characters, but I didn't feel strong enough with them to really contribute.

Now, I feel like I don't even really have a main, I just play for synergy.

I wasn't placed there. I placed 2289 or something. I had a few days of pure losing streaks regardless of what groups of friends I played it. A combination of bad luck, 6-stack matchmaking with wide skill ranges within the members, tilting, and some matches were everyone just honestly played like shit. Lol. It wasn't pleasant!

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Placed at 2283 and am stuck at 1880 now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I feel like you should have atleast 1 solid character in each category. Being a one trick can be really bad since you're gonna eventually play a match with someone else who also only plays the same character.

LiK

One or two mains you are proficient with.

3 main alts you are good at so if your mains are taken, you don't rage and quit.

2 lesser alts you can pick to synergize with the team.

That's how it works for me. I don't freak cuz no one can ever take everyone I can play in a match.

matmanx1

It's because the game does a really good job of telling you the things you did well, and a piss poor job of telling you the things you did poorly.

I agree with this. I would love to learn and I acknowledge that I have a long way to go to be "good". But so often when things go wrong I really don't know why they went wrong which means it is very difficult to improve.

Nimby

Banned
Yeah that would be nice. But I want them to change her up in a way where she is not absolutely not needed on the team beyond the first defense point.

I would love if people at Blizzcon asked the OW devs how they think Symmetra is fine as she is.

Bastion should be second on the balance talk. I was watching his reveal trailer and thinking maybe giving him his 1000 shield would help him a bit in the meta.

Wow, these sent me back. Symmetra used to give 75 shields and had a cooldown inbetween, + 10 teleporter uses + another one would charge up while it was in use. Wat

This is 100% true.

I was a Pharah main in Season 1, but because of how the Meta shifted on PSN, I can't seem to find a good way to utilize her in Season 2. Because of this, I spent the first 40 games of comp trying to find my "place" so to speak. I still have/had my secondary characters, but I didn't feel strong enough with them to really contribute.

Now, I feel like I don't even really have a main, I just play for synergy.

I feel you, man. DPS gets filled up with the quickness in solo queue, so I'm usually playing zen/lucio or rein.

Trey

People complaining about Zarya never played back in beta when her bubble lasted 5 seconds.

comeon.png

5 second bubbles? lmao, that would be hilariously annoying to fight. Just have to accept Zarya is gonna be full charge all match and try and focus her down.

Beta overwatch sounds godlike

matmanx1

Another good video by Overwatch Centeral - Top 5 Heroes for Solo Que.

Their picks were:
Anna - I was a little surprised at this one but they justify their reasons well enough and do make a point to note that she is the hardest one on the list to be good with.
Tracer - mobility, self sufficient if smartly played
Mei - Mei is the new meta??
Soldier 76 - mobility, heals for sustain
Roadhog - self sustain, 1 shot potential

Honorable mentions to Reaper and Genji.

And as I finished the video I see why I may be struggling a bit in solo que. I am proficient with none of them. =(

Soulflarz

Banned
This thread and ow players in general is like a masterclass in Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

It's because the game does a really good job of telling you the things you did well, and a piss poor job of telling you the things you did poorly.

Yep, but it sadly doesn't make it right and still makes the community fairly grating since you have to listen through certain things every discussion. Off the top of my head, the notable three are
-complaining about your rank in comparison to others, since you clearly are top 1%
-complaining about things that you can't deal with because of said skill gap, hence the "f zarya" complaints even though shes fairly balanced
-"I'm amazing with my character stop saying they're low tier, fuck off!" since no one can have a proper discussion if that's honestly your counterpoint. Otherwise I'd just go and praise reaper as S tier off my rank, which is complete nonsense.

Another good video by Overwatch Centeral - Top 5 Heroes for Solo Que.

Their picks were:
Anna - I was a little surprised at this one but they justify their reasons well enough and do make a point to note that she is the hardest one on the list to be good with.
Tracer - mobility, self sufficient if smartly played
Mei - Mei is the new meta??
Soldier 76 - mobility, heals for sustain
Roadhog - self sustain, 1 shot potential

Honorable mentions to Reaper and Genji.

And as I finished the video I see why I may be struggling a bit in solo que. I am proficient with none of them. =(

Nooooo
Lucio/Zen will help win a game. Zarya too. Soldier is redundant in most comps.
This is the "my teammates are idiots" list, because you shouldn't suddenly have to play these characters different because of varied teammates. Self sufficient shows that this is their logic, making the list fairly useless. A good comp vs 6 people saying "hey I'll do my thing since it's solo queue"? Good comp wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom