• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good video by Overwatch Centeral - Top 5 Heroes for Solo Que.

Their picks were:
Anna - I was a little surprised at this one but they justify their reasons well enough and do make a point to note that she is the hardest one on the list to be good with.
Tracer - mobility, self sufficient if smartly played
Mei - Mei is the new meta??
Soldier 76 - mobility, heals for sustain
Roadhog - self sustain, 1 shot potential

Honorable mentions to Reaper and Genji.

And as I finished the video I see why I may be struggling a bit in solo que. I am proficient with none of them. =(

Heh, I'm 3 for 5 on that list. I'd probably be 4 for 5, but people verbally notify me how much they don't want me to play Ana.

Palmer_v1

I have 5 heroes I can truly rely on these days in Comp in case my mains are picked.

Junkrat(Only on Anubis defense)
Zarya
Lucio
Reaper
Zenyatta
Reinhardt
DVA
Roadhog

That's the rough order of things I'll pick in comp. Junkrat is at the top, because I seem to be unstoppable in that righthand room of the first chokepoint on Anubis. It's also subject to my team to some degree.

I really want to get better with the following:

Mei - She's just brutal if played well, and is fairly self-sufficient
MeCree/Soldier - Need to get better in general with mid-range hitscan so I can be a Pharah counter, or more reliably shoot out support without having to dive.

Ramirez

Heh, I'm 3 for 5 on that list. I'd probably be 4 for 5, but people verbally notify me how much they don't want me to play Ana.

I had a guy message me on XBL the other day asking why I sabotaged the match with my Ana pick. I replied that I had 6k healing in one round, and our tanks were awful. He replied later on apologizing, so oh well.

We didn't move the Payload past the bridge before the gas station on 66. I've never seen such a group of incompetent tanks. The Rein never lowered his shield to fight, and the RH let their Genji run wild, so frustrating.

So I guess this is kind of a side discussion to the current balance but I hope they never implement alternate weapons for characters. I really like that when I hear footsteps, when I see a silhouette, I know what I'm getting and I know how to react to that.

I think it's probably one of the reasons I've stuck with Overwatch for so long. While it certainly has it's "most usefuls", I like that the most useful characters all play differently so everyone doesn't just run around with the optimal weapon + perk. I hated Destiny's PvP so much because I felt like even in the non-levelled PvP if you didn't have a good roll on your gear or the right exotic there was literally no point in playing it.

Azoor

So I guess this is kind of a side discussion to the current balance but I hope they never implement alternate weapons for characters. I really like that when I hear footsteps, when I see a silhouette, I know what I'm getting and I know how to react to that.

I think it's probably one of the reasons I've stuck with Overwatch for so long. While it certainly has it's "most usefuls", I like that the most useful characters all play differently so everyone doesn't just run around with the optimal weapon + perk. I hated Destiny's PvP so much because I felt like even in the non-levelled PvP if you didn't have a good roll on your gear or the right exotic there was literally no point in playing it.

I agree, I really hope they won't ruin it like what valve did with TF2. When you face against Widowmaker or Pharah, you know what to expect from them.

I-hate-u

I agree, but I would be down with alternative ults for all characters.

I would love if people at Blizzcon asked the OW devs how they think Symmetra is fine as she is.

Bastion should be second on the balance talk. I was watching his reveal trailer and thinking maybe giving him his 1000 shield would help him a bit in the meta.

Blizz seems to be operating in a parallel universe regarding Symm. They think she's fine on Defense and viable on attack. I'm not sure they'd hear the question properly.

I agree Bastion needs something, but giving him a tool that makes him even more camping-centric seems like a misstep to me. I'm frankly not sure what to do for him other than totally start from the drawing board. Maybe make his Recon form extra mobile?

They need to make a hero that can lift and carry other hero's for short distances. Like getting a symmetry past choke on offense to lay up a teleporter behind defences.

Maybe Bastion should always be tank with reduced damage attack but transform to turret with increased damage for special. Give him an alternate fire in tank mode like smoke and remove health regeneration. He's already a glass cannon character. Health regeneration is rarely useful in time necessary for high level play.

Clydefrog

They need to make a hero that can lift and carry other hero's for short distances. Like getting a symmetry past choke on offense to lay up a teleporter behind defences.

4hpjL2f.gif

Chance

A good comp vs 6 people saying "hey I'll do my thing since it's solo queue"? Good comp wins.

Not always. Had a crazy KotH once, enemy team was 2-2-2 (D.Va, Rein, Mercy, Lucio, Soldier, Tracer), we lost the first 2 rounds (wouldn't group up, tank and healer were always left alone) and switched to Soldier, Reaper, Genji, Junkrat, Bastion and me on Tracer when round 3 started.

Won the next 3 rounds. It was epic and insane.

Rad-

Took few days off OW and now played 2 comp games. First game I get a leaver in my team (3450 sr team average) and second game 4 guys go DPS and won't change (3300 sr team average). I just can't.

Owzers

Took few days off OW and now played 2 comp games. First game I get a leaver in my team (3450 sr team average) and second game 4 guys go DPS and won't change (3300 sr team average). I just can't.

each of those 4 guys is totally the best dps player so they can't be the one to change.

Kysen

Finally made it into diamond today. Had awesome team mates every match, people willing to switch and calling everything. Went 5-0 all stomps.

Nooooo
Lucio/Zen will help win a game. Zarya too. Soldier is redundant in most comps.
This is the "my teammates are idiots" list, because you shouldn't suddenly have to play these characters different because of varied teammates. Self sufficient shows that this is their logic, making the list fairly useless. A good comp vs 6 people saying "hey I'll do my thing since it's solo queue"? Good comp wins.

The comp doesn't matter if the team isn't actually playing like a team.

Soulflarz

Banned
Not always. Had a crazy KotH once, enemy team was 2-2-2 (D.Va, Rein, Mercy, Lucio, Soldier, Tracer), we lost the first 2 rounds (wouldn't group up, tank and healer were always left alone) and switched to Soldier, Reaper, Genji, Junkrat, Bastion and me on Tracer when round 3 started.

Won the next 3 rounds. It was epic and insane.

I was talking in an ideal "we're even skill" situation to say how bad that advice was. You guys obviously played those characters better against them, moreso saying "go into solo queue with these characters because they can be used with an awful team!" is a really bad mentality to enter solo with.

The comp doesn't matter if the team isn't actually playing like a team.

Sort of does? See above for my reasoning though. Was saying that their list was against playing like a team. Obviously teamwork>tiers in most cases, but it's worth noting at the least.

Maybe Bastion should always be tank with reduced damage attack but transform to turret with increased damage for special. Give him an alternate fire in tank mode like smoke and remove health regeneration. He's already a glass cannon character. Health regeneration is rarely useful in time necessary for high level play.

How I would fix Bastion:

Bastion - Recon
Alt-Fire: Personal Space(Bastion puts his arms out and spins rapidly in a helicopter like motion, doing two or three melee hits in his immediate vicinity.)
Ability 1: Convert (Switch to Sentry mode)
Ability 2: Repair (Bastion heals himself over a period of time)

Bastion - Sentry
Alt-Fire: Spin Up (Lets Bastion spin up so he can fire at a faster rate when he's ready. Audible to the other team.)
Ability 1: Convert (Switch to Recon mode)
Ability 2: EM Pulse (AoE knockback from Bastion that does a small amount of damage, about the size of Winstons Bubble)

I figure the Recon Alt-Fire would be great for keeping people away from getting up in his face.

The Spin Up ability should let Bastion increase his initial DPS, but only for a very small period of time, and the overheat means it has a cooldown.

The EM Pulse shouldn't really do a lot of damage. Like, maybe 25hp worth. The idea is something to put some distance between you and whoever while you convert and try to escape.

Bastion doesn't need to heal himself while he is a turret. Either his healers should get him, or he needs to switch to recon and change position anyway.

Plesiades

Alternate weapons (like in TF2) are functionally different characters. They'll never do alternate weapons; they'll just add new characters.

Valve should reboot TF2. Keep the 9 classes, but have variations like Mortal Kombat X with a distinct character for each one. For example, classic Heavy with his minigun and Old Time Heavy with a hammer, but both fulfilling the same kind of role.

Azoor

How I would fix Bastion:

Bastion - Recon
Alt-Fire: Personal Space(Bastion puts his arms out and spins rapidly in a helicopter like motion, doing two or three melee hits in his immediate vicinity.)
Ability 1: Convert (Switch to Sentry mode)
Ability 2: Repair (Bastion heals himself over a period of time)

Bastion - Sentry
Alt-Fire: Spin Up (Lets Bastion spin up so he can fire at a faster rate when he's ready. Audible to the other team.)
Ability 1: Convert (Switch to Recon mode)
Ability 2: EM Pulse (AoE knockback from Bastion that does a small amount of damage, about the size of Winstons Bubble)

I figure the Recon Alt-Fire would be great for keeping people away from getting up in his face.

The Spin Up ability should let Bastion increase his initial DPS, but only for a very small period of time, and the overheat means it has a cooldown.

The EM Pulse shouldn't really do a lot of damage. Like, maybe 25hp worth. The idea is something to put some distance between you and whoever while you convert and try to escape.

I love your reckon suggestions, but I think the sentry mode should be left as it is right now. It's supposed to take players by surprise.

I love your reckon suggestions, but I think the sentry mode should be left as it is right now. It's supposed to take players by surprise.

The spin up is a choice, and doesn't have to be used, but Basiton should be changing positions constantly to maintain that element of surprise.

I was talking in an ideal "we're even skill" situation to say how bad that advice was. You guys obviously played those characters better against them, moreso saying "go into solo queue with these characters because they can be used with an awful team!" is a really bad mentality to enter solo with.

I think they meant more like an "In case of an emergency, use these heroes" sort of thing. Not just instalock one of them every single solo queue match.

Going in always expecting competent teammates also doesn't exactly help, so it's not a bad idea to have a backup plan in case things go south.

I really do think one of the ways to greatly improve your success in competitive is to increase the number of heroes you're proficient with. If you have 3 or less you really can't swap out into a better hero for the situation.

More heroes you can play, the more you can play the rock/paper/scissors game instead of just trying to brute force.

This is basically why I've stuck with Overwatch when every other multiplayer game I've grown tired of relatively quickly. I hate maining and love playing different styles when given the option in a game (and also why I tend to create jack-of-all-trades characters when possible in WRPGs).

I've divided the roster into three types of playable characters: starting choices, counter choices, and hail mary choices - or rather characters I'm great with, characters I'm good with but others might be better - but I'll switch to them if we need one for a counter and nobody else is playing them, and characters I'm okay with but we desperately need a way to break the stalemate and this character is our best shot at that.

Great: Junkrat, Symmetra, D.Va, Tracer, Reaper, Winston
Good: Lucio, Zenyatta, Ana, Reinhardt, Mei, 76, Pharah
Okay: Genji, Mercy, Zarya, Hanzo, Roadhog

Won't Play unless it's QP and having fun: McCree, Bastion, Torbjorn, Widow

So I'm basically comfortable with 13 of 22 characters, and if I end up having to play as one of the other 9 in a comp match my team is probably fucked.

Alright. 2984 and I'm finally going for it. Hollywood. Thank fuck it's not KOTH. I have bad luck on those maps for some reason.

LETS DO THIS BOYZ

If you were thinking about trying out the Paladins Beta to see how it compares to OW: Don't.

OW is better in every way, and for a team game, there isn't really any reason to play as a team or build your comp around it. The characters have way too much going on in their skillsets, and the hitscan boxes are at least as big as OW's projectile boxes. They also fucked up rocket speed.

Seriously.

73-11. 25000 damage.

Probably the best game I've had as Zarya.

We steamrolled on offense, then decided Rein, Bastion, and Mercy was a good idea and never won a team fight on defense.

Ramirez

Blizzard has to rework the way Ana is recognized. I do 8k healing and out heal our Lucio, but the only card our team gets is 1,500 dmg reflection from Genji? Then I of course get angry messages from teammates, lol.

Or better yet just add a fucking scoreboard so these plebs can see its not always the fault of an unpopular pick.

darklin0

Banned
Blizzard has to rework the way Ana is recognized. I do 8k healing and out heal our Lucio, but the only card our team gets is 1,500 dmg reflection from Genji? Then I of course get angry messages from teammates, lol.

Or better yet just add a fucking scoreboard so these plebs can see its not always the fault of an unpopular pick.
I have hundreds of hour on Lucio and I still have not gotten a PotG with my Ult. Most of the cards revolve around Elims which sucks.
down to 2125...

RjjFmxE.gif
This is me the last 2 days. ]:

Shredderi

Ok, what happened? I've been encountering a FUCKLOAD of Mercy+Reinhardt+Bastion combos during the last week. They have all worked too and I feel super frustrated. It shouldn't work. It should be easy to counter if I could just organize my soloq team to deal with it. It can be done but it NEEDS hero changes from our side but no one ever changes. Can anyone tell me a braindead easy way to deal with the bastion cheese combo? I'm so sick of it pummeling me and my teams. This is especially frustrating on numbani where they'll hole up in that spot with two entrances to a small room.

Skii

down to 2125...

RjjFmxE.gif

Wasn't you 2600 yesterday? lol

Of course I steamrolled the NEXT match. Let's try this again.
thx Nuno :p

*sees attack Widow*

*flips table*

Lol if I somehow get diamond before you.

Ok, what happened? I've been encountering a FUCKLOAD of Mercy+Reinhardt+Bastion combos during the last week. They have all worked too and I feel super frustrated. It shouldn't work. It should be easy to counter if I could just organize my soloq team to deal with it. It can be done but it NEEDS hero changes from our side but no one ever changes. Can anyone tell me a braindead easy way to deal with the bastion cheese combo? I'm so sick of it pummeling me and my teams. This is especially frustrating on numbani where they'll hole up in that spot with two entrances to a small room.

Reaper/Genji should be dealing with that easy. Surprise attack on Bastion and Mercy/Reinhardt can't do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom