• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky 7

Managed to get to 66 in season 1, pretty decent but it's too difficult to get any higher without a full team talking to each other.

Also RIP Genji, those nerfs are bad. Sad that Blizzard gave into the crybabies. Should have just changed the Ultra duration time that's it.
Oh well, I'm glad I don't have time to play any more so it seems like a good time to quit. Great game, probably my GOTY.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Finally
herpzCP.jpg

Veelk

Banned
Gave the golden gun to Junkrat confirmed. My MVP for Season 1, brehs. I wonder who I should master next? I was crushing it as D.Va but too many other guys here play her....hmmmm

I don't like the golden weapons for most characters (they're gaudy), but Junkrat and roadhog are probably most incongruent with a golden weapon of anyone.

Everything about him speaks to a poor and underprivileged live. He has a pegleg and a clearly robotic arm, compared to Symmetra's almost entirely humanlike one. He's dirty and in poor health and wearing worn down pants, etc. His very gun itself is barely holding itself together. Roadhog is in the same boat, to the point that he has to use random scraps instead of real ammunition.

Not saying you shouldn't use it or anything, of course. You do what you want. This is just a me thing. I'm a stickler for narrative, and a Junkrat carrying around a gold gun seems out of character. I wouldn't do it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't like the golden weapons for most characters (they're gaudy), but Junkrat and roadhog are probably most incongruent with a golden weapon of anyone.

Everything about him speaks to a poor and underprivileged live. He has a pegleg and a clearly robotic arm, compared to Symmetra's almost entirely humanlike one. His gun itself is barely holding itself together. Roadhog is in the same boat, to the point that he has to use random scraps instead of real ammunition.

Not saying you shouldn't use it or anything, of course. You do what you want. This is just a me thing. I'm a stickler for narrative, and a Junkrat carrying around a gold gun seems out of character. I wouldn't do it.

He's also like a bandit though.

Bandits love gold.

Everything about him speaks to a poor and underprivileged live. He has a pegleg and a clearly robotic arm, compared to Symmetra's almost entirely humanlike one. His gun itself is barely holding itself together. Roadhog is in the same boat, to the point that he has to use random scraps instead of real ammunition.

A man with flaming hair shooting exploding pool balls also seems a bit off, but you're right, golden guns are going way too far.

Everything about him speaks to a poor and underprivileged live. He has a pegleg and a clearly robotic arm, compared to Symmetra's almost entirely humanlike one. He's dirty and in poor health and wearing worn down pants, etc. His very gun itself is barely holding itself together. Roadhog is in the same boat, to the point that he has to use random scraps instead of real ammunition.

Mercy's staff in gold looks rad with the Amber skin. That's what I wanna do eventually

ramyeon

Not sure if serious.

Veelk

Banned
He's also like a bandit though.

Bandits love gold.

I mean, true, but usually that's so they can sell it.

Gold is also a very soft metal. It's much worse as weaponry than iron/steel.

Junkrat would have to eschew both financial and tactical practicality to be toting around a gold gun. Which wouldn't necessarily be completely out of character, the guy DOES have a few screws loose. I just didn't expect it on that level.
Not sure if serious.

I am deadly serious about narrative. Always.

A man with flaming hair shooting exploding pool balls also seems a bit off, but you're right, golden guns are going way too far.

It's not about realism, it's about character theme consistency.

It's not a big deal though. Like I said, it's just something I personally wouldn't do because I recognize this is a particularity for me.

LiK

It's your destiny. Don't fight it.

Struggling empowers us.

3b1.gif

Junkrat is one of those guys who is secretly wealthy but likes to live the life as a hobo. True story.

Hanzo

Hanzo will now experience a 30% decrease in speed while aiming (formerly 40%)
Maximum projectile speed has been increased by 30%

Fuck outta here with this.

Jellie

How much did everyone climb or fall from their initial rank. Interested in how accurate it was or how much people improved over the season.
Placed at 58, immediately fell to 55 and stopped playing for a few weeks. Climbed up to 70 before falling to 68 at the end of the season.

How much did everyone climb or fall from their initial rank. Interested in how accurate it was or how much people improved over the season.
Placed at 58, immediately fell to 55 and stopped playing for a few weeks. Climbed up to 70 before falling to 68 at the end of the season.

That's pretty dramatic man, isnt 68 like top 1000?
I placed at 58 at ended up at 55, kinda bummed with my 204 points I can't get a gold weapon before everything goes to 3000 :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Been hovering between 40-50 all season, but I haven't had a chance to really go for it.

Started at 52 and climbed all the way to 72 and top 500. Pretty proud of myself for climbing so much.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, we are talking about a game with a talking monkey and a 40 year old edge lord. I think we can throw real life stuff like this out of the water lol.

Again, less about realism and more about thematic character consistency. It just doesn't mesh somehow.

But I'm the kind of guy who is uncomfortable using the otherwise awesome Nihon skin because the streaks from his sword and Shuriken are green even though his color highlight has turned to red (or blue if you use the Carbon Fiber skin or yellow if you use the Chrome skin) and it doesn't fucking follow suit and the inconsistency drives me fucking crazy.

Jellie

That's pretty dramatic man, isnt 68 like top 1000?
I placed at 58 at ended up at 55, kinda bummed with my 204 points I can't get a gold weapon before everything goes to 3000 :(
Think it's more top 3/4000.
I think your 204 will go up to 2040 next season. They said the PTR CP balance staying the same was a bug that'd be fixed for live.

My friend was hoping to hit 65 before the season ended. He was 63 and couldn't play till the evening after med school classes. He won his first game and got to 64. But as soon as he tried to queue up for another it said "Thanks for Playing." He's so bitter right now hahaha. Meanwhile I hit 69 a few days ago and left it at that.

ramyeon

I got placed 49 thanks to leavers in half my placement matches.

Dropped down to an all-season low of 39. Ended up with a high of 52.

It is what it is.

Veelk

Banned
the skins are going to break you, if they haven't already.

Skins change the character theme. And are rarely contradictory of the character theme anyway.

Like, Junkrat completely fits in his Jester or Scarecrow outfits. They feel like the kind of things he would wear on a particular mission that required them.

Other stuff changes the character WITH the skin. Like Tracer gets the voice line "Wanker" when wearing her punk outfit, or Mercy adds "....For a price" to her usual "heroes never die!" quote.

So the skins are fine. But a gold gun on a junkrat doesn't seem to fit with anything. Maybe one of the Jester outfits, if we assume he's a high Jester to a king of something.

Blues1990

Started at 52 and climbed all the way to 72 and top 500. Pretty proud of myself for climbing so much.

For myself, I've been stuck at 43 and couldn't climb out of it. I tried soloing, but the teams that I was paired up with were steamrolled by the opposition. I did my best to heal with both Lucio and Zenyatta, but people went out of my F.O.V. (behind walls, etc.) so I couldn't heal them properly. And people keep leaving me alone as Zen, so I had to be extremely cautious when someone sneaks up behind to tear me to shreds.

With the people I was able to team up with on GAF, they were not only supportive, but the open communication had helped immensely. For Season 2, I'm going to stick with PC GAF teams to get me up the ranks, as it's too stressful to go at it alone.

Yep my biggest problem is that for most of my favorite characters the gold looks worse than regular (Zarya, McCree) I don't think it fits Roadhog at all. Lucio is cool but I don't play him enough, Zen is hardly any difference.

I think I gotta go with Tracer.

But god damn if they announce that S2 awards are different I'll be salty as hell. Not crazy about golden guns.

KraytarJ

I finally got through my calibration yesterday at 58 and I didn't play again after that. I'll probably play comp more next season though, not only was it not as bad as I thought but people actually playing kind of intelligently was nice.

ramyeon

Skins change the character theme. And are rarely contradictory of the character theme anyway.

Like, Junkrat completely fits in his Jester or Scarecrow outfits. They feel like the kind of things he would wear on a particular mission that required them.

Other stuff changes the character WITH the skin. Like Tracer gets the voice line "Wanker" when wearing her punk outfit, or Mercy adds "....For a price" to her usual "heroes never die!" quote.

So the skins are fine. But a gold gun on a junkrat doesn't seem to fit with anything. Maybe one of the Jester outfits, if we assume he's a high Jester to a king of something.
What kind of mission would require a jester or scarecrow outfit?

It's all just in good fun. Trying to apply real world logic to this stuff saps all the fun out of it.

maouvin

Placed at 56 (season best too), bottom was 53, finished at 55.
Played less than 50 games though.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I climbed from 49 to 60 then fell after that after some bad losing streaks. I think I definitely improved a lot since my placements matches, though.

Veelk

Banned
What kind of mission would require a jester or scarecrow outfit?

It's all just in good fun. Trying to apply real world logic to this stuff saps all the fun out of it.

In a cartoonish world like Overwatch? I can think of a bunch of situations. It's not that hard. Hell, LiK gave a decent excuse for it. He's secretly rich but likes to live as a hobo for laughs. That could potentially be a Junkrat thing to do. So, I'm not trying to apply real world logic, but trying to make some kind of sense out of it.

And it doesn't actually bother me as though it's a problem in the game or anything, if that's the impression I'm getting. It's not like I'm calling out for people to not use it or for blizzard to change it. I'm just remarking that it doesn't fit his character like the other costumes do, atleast for me personally.

Moonkeis

Just testing heroes out on PTR and first match, 2 toxic players that just wouldn't shut up. Had to mute, there should be a permanent ignore player option so you don't have to come across them ever.

ramyeon

In a cartoonish world like Overwatch? I can think of a bunch of situations. It's not that hard.
In a cartoonish world like Overwatch it's not hard to imagine him getting his hands on a golden gun, either.
Why do we think that every season gets unique rewards though? I don't get that impression at all.
Neither do I, and they haven't hinted at it either so I'm not sure why people are getting ahead of themselves and talking like it's been confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom