• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Skins change the character theme. And are rarely contradictory of the character theme anyway.

Like, Junkrat completely fits in his Jester or Scarecrow outfits. They feel like the kind of things he would wear on a particular mission that required them.

Other stuff changes the character WITH the skin. Like Tracer gets the voice line "Wanker" when wearing her punk outfit, or Mercy adds "....For a price" to her usual "heroes never die!" quote.

So the skins are fine. But a gold gun on a junkrat doesn't seem to fit with anything. Maybe one of the Jester outfits, if we assume he's a high Jester to a king of something.

we need to play together. i wanna show off my gun to you and drive you nuts. :p

Veelk

Banned
In a cartoonish world like Overwatch it's not hard to imagine him getting his hands on a golden gun, either.

Yeah, but it's harder for me to imagine him keeping it when he can fence it for money and use a cheaper, regular version of his gun to the same effect. Junkrat just strikes me as a more practical fellow when it comes to his weapons, happy to make make his own personal creations from scrap while characters like Symmetra and Winston have the cleanest, latest, high tech gadgetry.

we need to play together. i wanna show off my gun to you and drive you nuts. :p

And then I'll redirect my rage at the enemy team, killing them all in a hostile fog of OCD induced madness!

look at this tacky gaudy gun. so sexy.

CqGevohWEAAxXZP.jpg

Disgusting.

Playing against 5 Tracer, 1 Lucio on Numbani just now lol. It was actually pretty fun. Their strategy worked until they realized had no one to actually push the payload to the last checkpoint. They all switched off eventually, but we still held them off.

Sorry if its been answered already but when does the Last Bastion animation hits online?

And yay I made just enough for mercy gold skin with the last comp match.

Plesiades

I wouldn't be surprised if Season 2 has new skins. Maybe they even add weapon skins to Loot Boxes in the future. The UI has a lot of free space.

Blues1990

What kind of mission would require a jester or scarecrow outfit?

It's all just in good fun. Trying to apply real world logic to this stuff saps all the fun out of it.

Same thing with Winston going on a Safari exhibition and Pharah firing rocket-propelled arrowheads with her ult, I agree that the game is capable of switching back between a straight faced tone to lighthearted fun.

FINALLY GOTTEN AN ANA POTG!

Sure it's nothing fancy but it's something and I'm happy

My best POTG with Ana was when I fired a sleep dart at Mercy, then chucked a grenade at a group of people, then fire away & earned a multikill. It makes me wish I could save those POTG moments on PC, but I can't.

I would be shocked if they never did any new season rewards, and golden guns were the only thing you could ever get with competitive points.

I mean at some point sure. But to make new stuff for every season seems like a lot of effort. I bet less than 15% of players can afford a golden gun right now, and even if they can it's just one character out of 22. I don't think they want to overshadow their own rewards so quickly, especially at the cost of creating a ton more content.

Maybe every 4 seasons (one year) the currency is swapped out and we start over with new rewards. But golden guns being replaced in three weeks seems really unlikely to me. Especially with zero indication of such by Blizzard.

If they do different weapon sets per season, then here's what I hope for.

Flaming weapons
WoW themed weapons
Wireframe weapons
Tribal themed
Prehistoric themed
Candy / Food

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean at some point sure. But to make new stuff for every season seems like a lot of effort. I bet less than 15% of players can afford a golden gun right now, and even if they can it's just one character out of 22. I don't think they want to overshadow their own rewards so quickly, especially at the cost of creating a ton more content.

Maybe every 4 seasons (one year) the currency is swapped out and we start over with new rewards. But golden guns being replaced in three weeks seems really unlikely to me. Especially with zero indication of such by Blizzard.

Dude, blizzard is a massive studio and they're earning reams of money from this game. I'm sure they have enough 3D artists to come up with some new weapons every season. :p

Jellie

i was thinking him or dva. really its a tossup
Reinhardt then. Especially with bloodhardt. I think dva looks weird with a golden gun part of her mechanical personally.

Went with zarya for mine as it's big and I use her the second most after Lucio. Lucio's weapon is a bit meh golden so picked hers instead. Plus with the weight lifting emote everyone can see it's glory. Plus you can see it in the potg intro and victory poses.

Strider

look at this tacky gaudy gun. so sexy.

CqGevohWEAAxXZP.jpg

wew laaaaaaaawd
yolo.gif

Yea I actually just decided when i hit 300 CP I'm gonna buy Junkrats golden weapon then popped in the thread to see this.

I only got 200 CP as a rank bonus and didn't play enough to get 100 wins so I'll have to wait until S2 starts unfortunately.

Can you imagine
"Check out my awesome new golden hammer, it took me all season to earn it"

"Dude, for season 2 he is literally swinging a basketball hoop around"

"FUCK YOU BLIZZARD GIVE ME MY POINTS BACK"

Why bring that upon yourself when 22 golden guns is plenty of incentive for now?

If someone could show me ANY indication by Blizz, even "Your season ONE rewards are golden guns, good luck trying to collect them" or something like that in a PR statement, maybe i'd agree. Until then, I really don't see it happening.

Antiwhippy

Most people don't even have a single golden gun yet, let alone all 22.

But the ones who played the most i.e the ones most likely to spend money, probably do.

I've seen a ranked 38 roadhog with a golden weapon way before the season ended.

ramyeon

Can you imagine

Why bring that upon yourself when 22 golden guns is plenty of incentive for now?

If someone could show me ANY indication by Blizz, even "Your season ONE rewards are golden guns, good luck trying to collect them" or something like that in a PR statement, maybe i'd agree. Until then, I really don't see it happening.
There literally is no indication, in fact the opposite is true since the devs said it would take the majority of players more than one season to get a golden gun.

Can you imagine

I can't imagine anyone trying to go for literally all of the golden guns.

Antiwhippy

Can you imagine

Oh I'm not saying that they for sure will, I'm just saying that it would make good business sense.

Maybe they could make it where if a new season begins with different rewards, you can refund what you bought for one of the new items? Just a thought, but I doubt they'd do that.

Sande

I don't like the golden weapons for most characters (they're gaudy), but Junkrat and roadhog are probably most incongruent with a golden weapon of anyone.

Everything about him speaks to a poor and underprivileged live. He has a pegleg and a clearly robotic arm, compared to Symmetra's almost entirely humanlike one. He's dirty and in poor health and wearing worn down pants, etc. His very gun itself is barely holding itself together. Roadhog is in the same boat, to the point that he has to use random scraps instead of real ammunition.

Not saying you shouldn't use it or anything, of course. You do what you want. This is just a me thing. I'm a stickler for narrative, and a Junkrat carrying around a gold gun seems out of character. I wouldn't do it.
Roadhog and Junkrat also seem the type that would use their only pennies for a tacky golden gun. Everyone else has good enough taste not to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom