• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

Oh wait, didn't realise they took out genji's burst combo.

Thaaaaaaat might be a bit much.

Depends. The burst combo now can still hit 134 on body hits but you're more likely to hit 78 or 106 consistently. That's a very big difference from before where the 30 damage from the melee helped assure the execute. Now he'll have to do an extended combo post dash to secure shit or just always go in on lower targets. I think it's totally possible to still play him similarly to before, he'll just be worse at it.

At high level I think it will become an issue if Genji can't secure a target until they are basically already dead. Idk how he'll work there like this, but like you'd probably rather go some other DPS option in a lot of cases.

Syntax

some thoughts:

Don't think the changes affect Lucio/Zenyatta meta at all.

The other stuff is more QOL than anything. Weirded out by the hitbox changes if true; only see the projectile speed patch notes. It would go against what Kaplan said:

There’s kind of another weird way of looking at the hit box issue. Players will point it out always from a victim’s point of view like, “This is so unfair. It takes the skill out of the game.” Rarely or almost never have I seen a player point out, “Actually, when I play Hanzo, maybe a lot of my shots were landing when I thought I was like that bad ass best bowman in North America. Actually, maybe some of my shots were helped a little bit by this.”

What we did is we kind of went back to the drawing board and we just took a look at, “Is there a way to make shooting feel great while reducing some of those egregious cases?” We didn’t take too much note of those videos of people standing still in the training room. I feel like that’s not really a realistic case. The one that bothered us is somebody posted a video. I think they were Widowmaker standing on a building and a Hanzo arrow had clipped the Widowmaker when she was clearly out of line of sight, like around a corner.

That one really bothered us, and our lead gameplay engineer, Tim Ford, said, “OK, that’s a problem, and I know how to fix it. I’m going to go back to the drawing board on what we’re doing here.”
I think a lot of it, our intention was never to make the game feel low skill. I think skill means a tremendous amount in Overwatch, but we’re trying to make a game that feels great to play. That doesn’t always mean that we’re going to perfectly simulate real world, pixel perfect physics and hit reactions all the time. Sometimes it means we take artistic liberties.

My thoughts on the changes:

D.Va's is fine.
Hanzo should either get the speed changes or the tree trunk arrows back, but not both. I'd personally just prefer the speed changes and keep the hitbox the same, that should be good enough for him.
Not sure about Mei's Blizzard size increasing, but I enjoy playing as Mei so yay!
McCree I like the ult change, too many times I'd deny McCree's ult via a kill or blocking his vision and he'd just get it back right away. Good change.
Mercy change is good.
Genji changes I can see why everyone is complaining about them (if they're Genji mains) but I don't really see a problem with them. Seem to be very basic changes - the combo thing I don't understand but that's about it.
Lucio's change is fine but I don't think it's going to do anything to the state of the meta.
Roadhog's change is fine.
Zenyatta's change is what was expected as well, which is fine, but also probably not enough to change the meta either.

Overall the only changes I'm super worried about are Mei and Hanzo. If I had to guess, those two are the most likely to not see their changes make it out of PTR.

Anne

I just saw the new Hanzo live.

Fuck that. Hanzo the new top tier jesus christ.

edit: hyperbole but that is really scary.

shadder2k on the PTR.

2016-08-1800_11_58-shrxpsa.png

Git Gud other Genji's.

This is the dumbest post I've seen in this thread please stop. Yes everyone git gud and be literally the best genji player on earth.

If you can't hit a three pointer from half court like Steph Curry u suck git gud.

ISOM

This is the dumbest post I've seen in this thread please stop. Yes everyone git gud and be literally the best genji player on earth.

If you can't hit a three pointer from half court like Steph Curry u suck git gud.

The funny thing is Shadder himself still complained about the Genji nerfs.

Apathy

Maybe he should git gudder then.

Yeah, Sn4ke should go tell shadder that when he complains.

A person that was good with a character before will still be good with it after but it is an issue of how it feels and how the character does in the meta vs the other good players.

On the ptr shadder is not playing vs a full team of other pros that can deal with a genji so of course hes demolishing people that vary wildly in rank

Pooya

Hanzo seems absurd. If you're speeding him up you're not reverting the hitboxes. It's so dumb, like how they thought this is worth testing lol. it's more bs than Mccree in last PTR. If this makes it to live smh.

Wait why.

Those 2 are the ones that needed buffs.

I dunno, I feel like the radius increase on Mei's Blizzard might be seen as too much. Same for Hanzo's speed increase + the hitbox changes. I'm probably wrong, though.

Of course, the only thing that didn't make it through the last PTR was Mercy's damage boost, so what's likely going to happen is all these changes will stick except for Mercy's again.

Anne

Okay I'm in PTR and messing with stuff now.

Genji isn't dead but I actually can't come up with a reason to pick him over Tracer in higher level play other than wall climb on some maps, which isn't a good enough reason.

Okay I'm in PTR and messing with stuff now.

Genji isn't dead but I actually can't come up with a reason to pick him over Tracer in higher level play other than wall climb on some maps, which isn't a good enough reason.
Yeah, I can't fathom their reasoning for taking away the combo. Roadhog has a deadly combo, McCree has a deadly combo, why can't Genji? Also, the wall climbing nerf was dumb too.

They nerfed 3 things that took an insane amount of skill to pull off consistently. Only one of those needed the nerf and you all know what that is. Hopefully Blizz realizes this and reverts those two changes.

ramyeon

Your using an example of probably the best Genji in the world. These changes ain't gonna affect him a bit.

Although, even Shadder was complaining about the nerfs, should he....git gud?
I mean they are going to affect him, but he's still going to be damn good.

I can't tell if Sn4ke is trolling half the time with his posts.

I am curious how things will play out on the test servers with regards to whether my at-a-glance opinions, (read alternatively, unfounded), bear out or not. Obviously with any competitive game things are going to default to whatever the player-base considers optimal, so trying to get equalized healer pick rates may be an impossible endeavor in the first place. But I appreciate Blizzard doing their part to try to get there.

I think the old Mercy revive meta was so prominent in part because the game was fairly new and it supported messier play/strats; now that the competitive skill level is a lot higher I think people are much faster to capitalize on mistakes/pick-offs and they would reliably punish a revive based strategy/composition (although the shorter revive timer may help alleviate that). I think Mercy would need to be able to reliably charge her ult so fast that she could go into a fight knowing that she could blow it the second someone dies and then still have it up again by the end of the fight.

The problem is she doesn't have any way to stop the enemy team from getting kills in the first place. If you know they don't have a Zen/Lucio ult to ward off your attack, then you may not even need to blow an ult to get your pick-off, which means you can afford to counter the later revive with your own ultimate's if need be. I guess it comes down to whether her single-target healing is high enough that you can justify giving up a Zen or Lucio ultimate and their corresponding utility. Revive doesn't help if it just puts your team into a losing position, all you do is feed them meter. Since you can't control where people die/revive, it's kind of a crap-shoot whether they'll just get annihilated the second they spawn in or not. Obviously it all depends on how the fight broke down of course, reviving 3 into 5 is clearly bad, but reviving 5 into 3 is not. Of course if you managed to kill half their team you probably would have been able to wipe them completely with a Lucio/Zen ult in the first place. Interested to see how things work out in practice.

I really do think that Genji needs his vertical mobility back - breaking his wall-climb jump-reset basically means that there isn't much of a reason to take him. His shtick should be jump-in-jump-out by exploiting vertical mobility and Tracer should be exploiting horizontal mobility, making the choice between them one based on how you want to attack the map.

Anne

I really do think that Genji needs his vertical mobility back - breaking his wall-climb jump-reset basically means that there isn't much of a reason to take him. His shtick should be jump-in-jump-out by exploiting vertical mobility and Tracer should be exploiting horizontal mobility, making the choice between them one based on how you want to attack the map.

Even then Tracer just outright has more DPS now. Like she did before anyways but Genji's burst damage is still lower than her baseline.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
With this Hanzo no one would need Mccree. Might as well be hitscan! He deals way more damage too lol.

Hmm, still don't see it. Hitscan is hitscan and pros can get that aim down even without the hitbox buff. Mccree can still down people faster in the time hanzo takes to fully charge his bow, he has a more consistent close range burst and also a stun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom