• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the dream team back together for season 2 ;)

I had a drunken night playing mid season and dropped to mid 40s. It sucked after me, you and biscuits had that awesome early unbeaten run.
After that It was an absolute pain getting out of the 40 but on the last few days of the season I went unbeaten from 51-60 solo. Just in time to get my golden gun.

Same here. I had a night where I clearly should've either switched to beer or quick play and didn't... that one hurt my rank for a little while, haha.

But yeah, we gotta get the trio going. Let's set some time up when the new season drops and we'll place together and roll with it.

Skii

After playing Genji for 7-8 hours, I don't think he's OP. He's very difficult to learn and sure you can do a lot of damage but any decent team will have saved an ult to counter Genji. Even at the top level, most people opt for Reaper over Genji because of the more consistent damage.

Genji is very good in the right hands but I don't think he's OP. Maybe dropping a second on his ult is all that's needed.

Beckx

Even at the top level, most people opt for Reaper over Genji because of the more consistent damage.

this is not true. for the last few weeks the meta has had Genji, Reaper and McCree at the same usage tier (C, below Tracer at B). (e.g. https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-08-18-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-i-love-lucio)

the differences that drive their usage are game mode specific (genji gets picked over reaper in every situation except defense).

genji is done though if all of these changes hold.

Azoor

After playing Genji for 7-8 hours, I don't think he's OP. He's very difficult to learn and sure you can do a lot of damage but any decent team will have saved an ult to counter Genji. Even at the top level, most people opt for Reaper over Genji because of the more consistent damage.

Genji is very good in the right hands but I don't think he's OP. Maybe dropping a second on his ult is all that's needed.

People just don't know how to counter him properly, that's all.

Gotten as high as #45 rank in Quick Play and #97 in Comp with my D.Va on Xbox One. My deaths are pretty high for a D.Va because I have my ass planted on the objective constantly, I rarely retreat to grab a health pack. And I honestly still don't know where most health packs are at lol. I am very proud of my high objective time though. Unfortunately, never cracked top 500.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/xbl/EteRnal PAL?

PpumMnf.png

xHRNPv5.png

Gotten as high as #45 rank in Quick Play and #97 in Comp with my D.Va on Xbox One. My deaths are pretty high for a D.Va because I have my ass planted on the objective constantly, I rarely retreat to grab a health pack. And I honestly still don't know where most health packs are at lol. I am very proud of my high objective time though. Unfortunately, never cracked top 500.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/xbl/EteRnal PAL?

PpumMnf.png

xHRNPv5.png

How do you play with one character for that many matches? I mean, I've played over 900 matches in QP and my most played character (Symmetra) doesn't even crack 100 matches played as.

I'm always switching it up so I can learn which heroes are good for different situations. Of course, I have trouble choosing one character to main in fighting games as well so maybe that's part of it.

Skii

this is not true. for the last few weeks the meta has had Genji, Reaper and McCree at the same usage tier (C, below Tracer at B). (e.g. https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-08-18-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-i-love-lucio)

the differences that drive their usage are game mode specific (genji gets picked over reaper in every situation except defense).

genji is done though if all of these changes hold.

Oh, I didn't know about that. I was commenting on what I've seen from tournament play over the last 2 weeks. The top teams were always going with Reaper over Genji unless they were losing and needed a good Genji ult to get some time back.

But yeah, all these changes culminate into Genji not even factoring at all vs other offence heroes.

People just don't know how to counter him properly, that's all.

Genji's counters are poor and buffing them would suck moreso for everyone that isn't Genji. His toolset allows him to choose to not engage in skirmishes that aren't in his favour. No character has an inherent advantage over Genji.

Skii

Genji's counters are poor and buffing them would suck moreso for everyone that isn't Genji. His toolset allows him to choose to not engage in skirmishes that aren't in his favour. No character has an inherent advantage over Genji.

Winston definitely does.

Thinking of picking up a second DPS character I can become confident with during the season break. I currently main Pharah on console and she works well in most situations, which offense character best complements her weaknesses? (e.g competent hit scan opponents, close quarter interior brawls) I'm thinking either Tracer or Reaper at the moment, going to stay away from investing time in genji until we learn where he lands post nerf.

I would say most tanks have an advantage over Genji. Roadhog can one shot him, Winston doesn't have to aim and can follow Genji easily, Zarya can shoot through deflect, and Dva has too much armor for Genji and she can DM his stuff and chase him. Rein vs Genji is kind of even though.

Winston definitely does.

Winston needs either 4s of channeling his Tesla Cannon or leaping in and 3 seconds of channeling. Plenty of time for Genji to just leave if his dash is off cooldown. If a wall is nearby he could just climb it and not even need the dash

I would say most tanks have an advantage over Genji. Roadhog can one shot him, Winston doesn't have to aim and can follow Genji easily, Zarya can shoot through deflect, and Dva has too much armor for Genji and she can DM his stuff and chase him. Rein vs Genji is kind of even though.

I should have clarified by saying there aren't any explicit counter Genji characters. Winston is the closest but not quite. Sure Genji can't reliably kill him but he can easily avoid not being killed by him which is what I was getting at. The things that Genji doesn't like other characters really don't like. I'm not sure how he can be singled out which is why he'll be a pest for the life of the game (unless he gets nerfed into the ground).

Azoor

Winston can jump and follow Genji until he kills him, I know because I did this several times as Winston. Genji cannot dodge Winston's fire nor can he kill him alone. He definitely have an inherint advantage over Genji.

Winston needs either 4s of channeling his Tesla Cannon or leaping in and 3 seconds of channeling. Plenty of time for Genji to just leave if his dash is off cooldown. If a wall is nearby he could just climb it and not even need the dash
Or punch him in the leap for 80 damage instead of 50 and now it only takes 2 seconds. Also, Winston can chase Genji and at least get him to use up his dash.

How do you play with one character for that many matches? I mean, I've played over 900 matches in QP and my most played character (Symmetra) doesn't even crack 100 matches played as.

I'm always switching it up so I can learn which heroes are good for different situations. Of course, I have trouble choosing one character to main in fighting games as well so maybe that's part of it.

Hahah, I actually get asked this question a lot when people see how much time I've spent playing mainly D.Va. For some reason, I just find playing her extremely pleasing. She clicked with me from day one of the beta. I have tried every other character but I can't quit D.Va. To me, she is the most versatile character and I have no problems performing well with her whether it's attacking or defending.

KraytarJ

QP can be so damn frustrating. Especially because people don't think at all. They just run in either alone or very outnumbered in engages they can't win. So instead of actually grouping as 6 or switching out of your hero that can't do anything you just keep going for 5 minutes and repeat next time. Though the rare occasions where your team actually just pushes as a group and just steamrolls into a win would make people want to continue with that.

AngryMoth

Just started playing Roadhog more regularly, any tips for converting hooks into kills 100% of the time? Sometimes a 200hp hero is left on low hp instead of dead and I don't really know why

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Just started playing Roadhog more regularly, any tips for converting hooks into kills 100% of the time? Sometimes the 200hp hero is left on low hp instead of dead and I don't really know why
If it's Ana, Lucio or Tornbjorn - look down when you fire.

Probably some others too.

Just started playing Roadhog more regularly, any tips for converting hooks into kills 100% of the time? Sometimes the 200hp hero is left on low hp instead of dead and I don't really know why
Make sure you melee after you shoot for the extra 30 damage. Another way is to move a little closer after the hook so you can land more shots, although you don't want to do this with characters that can escape easily, like Tracer, Genji, Lucio, etc.(although you should be able to kill them no matter what) Maybe you could also aim a little lower towards the center of their body so more shots can land as well.

Prelude.

The hook is fucked, it doesn't hook the enemy in front of you like 50% of the times so you're not hitting them properly.

LiK

i wonder if i can group up with a Gaffer who will only play Hanzo while I play as Genji. wanna do our Ults together just to annoy the other team, heh

Prelude.

I mean, fuck off. Literally every single game with a Widow or multiple snipers, what happened?

a761c0970bveu3e.jpg

Isn't that just PTR right now?
It's always been like that. If you're jumping, turning, hooking at a weird angle or the enemy is jumping the hook is most likely not gonna work properly and pull them somewhere you can't predict.

Or punch him in the leap for 80 damage instead of 50 and now it only takes 2 seconds. Also, Winston can chase Genji and at least get him to use up his dash.

Having attempted Genji duty numerous times his movement means that Winston can't be a significant deterrence. No decent Genji (not even a really good one) is gonna think, "Oh shit! They have a Winston. What am I gonna do now?" He's just a slippery character by design which means shutting him out is always going to be difficult.

Holy crap hanzo is strong on PTR right now. He is funner to play, but infinitely more frustrating to play against. So much corner spam headshots. ><

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lmao, that feel when you win a sniper battle with McCree against a Widow twice

justjim89

This isn't launching for me at all now after my Windows updated last night. Running as admin doesn't work, setting it to Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode doesn't work, nothing. And just a day after spending $20 on loot boxes. This is infuriating.

Skii

Having attempted Genji duty numerous times his movement means that Winston can't be a significant deterrence. No decent Genji (not even a really good one) is gonna think, "Oh shit! They have a Winston. What am I gonna do now?" He's just a slippery character by design which means shutting him out is always going to be difficult.

No but you asked if any character has an inherent advantage over Genji and Winston definitely does. Winston is extremely mobile and Genji can't kill him before he's killed by Winston. Out of all the offensive characters, Genji probably has the hardest counter.

So we doing
Decent/good Genji vs an Average/bad winston

Or

Decent/good Genji vs Decent/good Winston.

Cause Good winstons will chase you forever, this guy would not back down today :(

Well shit, I could've sworn they fixed the hook problems in the last patch.
They did. Straight hooks used to constantly get the character pulled to the side it was annoying as hell.

Now they don't and Tracer and Lucio etc NEVER survive. That poster must be talking about specific instances where you hook a Genji who is in the air and dashing or something and it goes all wonky, which does happen but is much more rare these days.

And yes there is some bullshit in the PTR currently that hopefully gets fixed.

Shredderi

Whew. One of those days I guess. So I was playing with my friends and it's the first time playing in almost a week and I was thirsty. The first game we play is in hollywood and we're attacking. The enemy team has 3 genjis and no healer. What a trash team comp but we're getting our asses kicked. No big deal just change to zarya and winstons... Right? Guys change into winstons we only got 2 minutes left? Guys FUCKING CHANGE (1min left). Then we lose and everyone is like "oh wow how did that work?". First game in almost a week and I was fired up when we started. I just couldn't anymore. I just said "laterz" and logged off. The most embarassing defeat yet in my 140h of overwatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom