• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Anyone have any tips for playing Mercy? I really enjoy healing other players rather than going for the kill, but I feel utterly defenseless when the opposing team locks in on me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anyone have any tips for playing Mercy? I really enjoy healing other players rather than going for the kill, but I feel utterly defenseless when the opposing team locks in on me.

Play mgs when you have ult.

Like really.

Sometimes it's better to hide and wait for your team to die than keep healing and expose yourself.

Plesiades

to add some variety to game modes, for hybrid cap point + payload maps Blizz should make the payload destructible by enemy and can be healed by aly, and once it's destroyed the match ends... I think that would add a new aspect to the game and better train peeps to stay on the dang payload.

Dirty Bomb did something like this. Instead of capturing the point where the Payload spawns, you had to repair the vehicle itself. After that, the enemy team was able to disable the Payload by damaging it.

Also, the big doors on the Payload's path didn't open automatically. You had to plant a bomb to blow them up. It was kinda neat. Very objective focused.

Trey

Symmetra was already one of my most effective heroes in terms of win percentage and K/D, so this is sounding pretty great.

Yeah because most people either win with her on first point, or switch off and another character absorbs the loss.

V-Faction

THEY USED THE DOOMFIST IDEA!

On Symmetra PTR. Projected moving Barrier. I figured Doomfist (if he were to be another tank) would get that ability, only moving more slowly, expanding in size.

I'm very curious about how Symmetra's rework will affect the meta if she comes to live in a similar state as she is on PTR.

Her barrier and her decent damage, as well as her map awareness might open up a 3 support meta where Symmetra takes the slot of one of the tanks, and is an off-tank.
She will be especially powerful on defense maps, particularly on last points where she can put a shield generator into spawn and give everyone an additional 75 health consistently without any repercussions.

I'm not sure how well she will do on attack, but I can see her being less useful there.

how many charge does Symm's teleporter have, now? Still 6?

Yes.

xaosslug

Dirty Bomb did something like this. Instead of capturing the point where the Payload spawns, you had to repair the vehicle itself. After that, the enemy team was able to disable the Payload by damaging it.

Also, the big doors on the Payload's path didn't open automatically. You had to plant a bomb to blow them up. It was kinda neat. Very objective focused.

interesting!

Antiwhippy

Would sym even be support anymore?

New sym is more like a tank by having options that create space for her team.

If anything the turrets kinda don't really make any sense with her new kit.

Would sym even be support anymore?

New sym is more like a tank by having options that create space for her team.

If anything the turrets kinda don't really make any sense with her new kit.

Her turrets will serve 2 main purposes now:
Protecting her ult and anti-flanking. And anti-flanking not by taking out the flankers, but rather by providing awareness. She can rig flanking routes with her turrets and when they set off/get killed, she can say "flanker coming from X".

And anti-flanking/map awareness is a good ability for a tank to have. Tanks are sort of supports after all, and map awareness is an important aspect of support play. I mean, D.Va is built to be an anti-flanker as well.

Nimby

Banned
Symmetra needs to be to relocate her generator. This is an actual must.

If you're out of it's range, and the enemy team doesn't destroy it the only way to get rid of it is to switch heroes at spawn.

Does the generator get refunded like teleporter?

see5harp

That's what you want though.

And then you rez.

Yea totally. Most of the tanks you aren't going to be able to keep alive anyways if they are getting focus fired. Once you're close to your ult as Mercy you should be making sure EVERYONE knows you got it. You might even bait the other team to use some ults to stop the push then you got a huge advantage in the counter punch.

DevilDog

overwatch would be objectively better without genji in it

These characters are fine, in order to be good with them you need to have tons upon tons of skill. One wrong dash and genji is dead and tracer can get one shot so easily.

Genji ult with nanoboost however, I could do without that.

Antiwhippy

Protecting her ult and anti-flanking. And anti-flanking not by taking out the flankers, but rather by providing awareness. She can rig flanking routes with her turrets and when they set off/get killed, she can say "flanker coming from X".

And anti-flanking/map awareness is a good ability for a tank to have. Tanks are sort of supports after all, and map awareness is an important aspect of support play. I mean, D.Va is built to be an anti-flanker as well.

I guess, but I'm more thinking that her gun and turrets works best by getting the team to enter her territory.

While the moving shield is more about opening space to enter the enemy's territory.

Any people interested in partying up for competitive? I play on PC and (mainly) XB1. Playing competitive solo is gut wrenching. I don't think I'll be playing tonight but I've been playing a bunch lately. Feel free to add me Skidfo on XB1 and Skidfo #1612 and battle.net

xaosslug

no one is gonna do that, tho. xD Blizz kept going on and on about Symm's 'all seeing eyes' and peeps playing her wrong, but no one will do this. They will all be bunched together @ chokes/flanking positions, because that's just more effective, a guaranteed kill, and quicker teleporter/generator charge.

they kept her in support because the new shield generator can sustain peeps like artificial life, sort of.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bastion + Symmetra is now one hell of a combo with the barrier

tumblr_oh2ie0Q75d1t34v14o1_540.jpg

I guess, but I'm more thinking that her gun and turrets works best by getting the team to enter her territory.

While the moving shield is more about opening space to enter the enemy's territory.

I see her as a Reinhardt with less mobility, less consistent protection and more supportive capabilities.
Definitely seems like she'll be a solid pick as off-tank.

Antiwhippy

This game is slowly becoming full on skill-less cancer.

Eh, I mean the ult charge nerf means there's more importance in the skill of skirmishing with raw mechanics rather than waiting for ult and also more importance in the skill of ult management instead of constant dumping.

see5harp

Any people interested in partying up for competitive? I play on PC and (mainly) XB1. Playing competitive solo is gut wrenching. I don't think I'll be playing tonight but I've been playing a bunch lately. Feel free to add me Skidfo on XB1 and Skidfo #1612 and battle.net

I will add you on xbox one.

Sane_Man

This game is slowly becoming full on skill-less cancer.

It's kinda disgusting how casually people throw this term around these days. It doesn't even work as a metaphor here. And you don't even back up why the game has become "skill-less", which it blatantly has not.

Anyway, the Sym changes look really cool. I might download PTR tomorrow to check her out.

Antiwhippy

Knowing devildog he's probably talking about blizzard getting rid of genji's ledgeboost.

Which I kinda agree, coming from a fighting game background, that I'd rather them not get rid of the skillful "exploits" that the community discovered by themselves.

Prelude.

I can't wait to play with a less than ideal team against a 275hp Genji and 225hp Tracer running around a turret-infested point in koth.

Knowing devildog he's probably talking about blizzard getting rid of genji's ledgeboost.

Which I kinda agree, coming from a fighting game background, that I'd rather them not get rid of the skillful "exploits" that the community discovered by themselves.

Wait what they got rid of edgeboost? I swear they once said that they weren't gonna remove that? That's BS, there's really no reason to remove it. The firestrike charge nerf for Zarya also sucks. Is there a list of the updates?

Zornack

Just because something is skillful doesn't mean it's balanced. Genji has a ton of mobility, Blizzard decided the ledge boost might be too much.

Antiwhippy

Just because something is skillful doesn't mean it's balanced. Genji has a ton of mobility, Blizzard decided the ledge boost might be too much.

Genji kinda sucks in this meta though. DVa and roadhog running around means not so fun times for genji.

Top Bottom