• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Nimby

Banned
The Symmetra update is very very much untested lol

Photon Barrier:
- Doesn't block certain ults (D.Va, Reinhardt, Junkrat, etc)
- Trajectory can be affected by slopes/stairs
- Barriers don't always 'break' when hitting walls
- Sometimes hangs in one spot instead of traveling forward (very weird circumstances to which this happens)
- Gives Symmetra a free 1,000 dmg block if it hits a wall
- Can crash the game if spammed into the sky on 0 cooldowns (also creates weird audio issues)
- No proper voiceline recorded yet
- Characters still ask for shields even though Symmetra can't manually hand them out

Shield Generator:
- Stacks with other generators
- Doesn't give shields to those who spawn in it's radius (via revive, teleporter, or at a spawn point)
- Could potentially be placed inside spawn and become essentially invulnerable to the enemies
- Can be useless on payloads (as they can extend outside it's active radius) if not destroyed by the enemy team, forcing Symmetra to switch heroes briefly
- No indication to allies on the radius of the shield generator
- Teleporter is shown in the killfeed when generator is destroyed
- No proper voiceline(s) recorded, enemies still say teleporter

Shield Generator/Teleporter:
- Both can become indestructible if placed while dying, generator becomes useless
- Under the same circumstances, it can also waste her entire ultimate

Other:
- Enemy Teleporter/Generator health appears underneath the device instead of above like normal

I mean Blizzard should have stuff like the voicelines in, but seems like they just got done with her reworks and didn't do much testing.

DevilDog

Nah just venting, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing pro teams incorporate symmetra/torb.

Season 3 comp however is looking to be more annoying than ever. Hope I'm wrong, what do I know?

Knowing devildog he's probably talking about blizzard getting rid of genji's ledgeboost.

Which I kinda agree, coming from a fighting game background, that I'd rather them not get rid of the skillful "exploits" that the community discovered by themselves.

THEY DID WHAT

People are saying that Torb + shield gen is going to be really powerful, but I think Torb still won't be a serious part of the meta mostly because it involves exchanging a useful character for a Torb.
He doesn't have the damage, tanking or healing to replace either roles reliably, so he's gonna be a super situational pick in certain maps like the Korean strat that had him on Eichenwalde point A defense.

While new Symmetra might actually be capable of replacing either a tank or a support slot depending on the circumstances.

People are saying that Torb + shield gen is going to be really powerful, but I think Torb still won't be a serious part of the meta mostly because it involves exchanging a useful character for a Torb.
He doesn't have the damage, tanking or healing to replace either roles reliably, so he's gonna be a super situational pick in certain maps like the Korean strat that had him on Eichenwalde point A defense.

While new Symmetra might actually be capable of replacing either a tank or a support slot depending on the circumstances.

This is all dependent on if you mean "pro meta" or "99% of the playerbase meta."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How is she replacing a support?

Like honestly, with ana and the amount of self heal in this game solo support can work, as shown by envyus, but the role of a support is mainly to sustain a fight. Other than her ults sym does none of that.

Like honestly, with ana and the amount of self heal in this game solo support can work, as shown by envyus, but the role of a support is mainly to sustain a fight. Other than her ults sym does none of that.

I was talking about solo support yeah, not 0 supports but her lol.
I'm saying that I can see certain maps where Ana as solo healer with Symmetra and 2 tanks and DPS could work out as a comp. I don't think it'll be a common pick, and she's more than likely going to be taking the off-tank role alongside Roadhog and Zarya.

But low and mid-level metas are the ones that are actually important.

In regards to balance, I disagree.
While I understand that low and mid level play are important, the main thing to address for their sake in terms of balance is combating characters who are frustrating to play against. You can have characters that are viable in high level competitive play without being utterly annoying to play against in lower level play.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually managed to do that last night. Held first point eichenwilde with a sym as the other "support", healed my ass off, got 6K healing done just from that point alone, felt super proud.

And then we only got a draw because our DPS kept trying to backcap instead of doing anything useful.

FML.

There's a million glitches with Symmetra lmao. Having four barriers in a row get stuck while we have a Bastion behind them all must be so frustrating to deal with

Nimby

Banned

Well she kinda does in the sense that every other tank also provides support. And yeah, if teams deem her more useful than Lucio in some situations, same with Zen, they'll drop him. Ana heals are more than enough to sustain.

In regards to balance, I disagree.
While I understand that low and mid level play are important, the main thing to address for their sake in terms of balance is combating characters who are frustrating to play against. You can have characters that are viable in high level competitive play without being utterly annoying to play against in lower level play.

Considering the massive disconnect Overwatch has between high and mid-level play, it makes no sense to balance solely around the professionals.

DOWN

Banned
So it'll be a few weeks before good Symettra hits PS4 right?

Also am I supposed to be able to see my Overwatch PS4 stats on Battle.net

Nimby

Banned
Just imagine if they fix Symmetra's generator to apply the shields when you spawn, but allow her to place it in the spawn point.

Now imagine 2CP and Mei

DOWN

Banned
Just imagine if they fix Symmetra's generator to apply the shields when you spawn, but allow her to place it in the spawn point.

Now imagine 2CP and Mei
Can someone break down this for me as a casual. I don't know what a 2CP is

Can someone break down this for me as a casual. I don't know what a 2CP is

2 capture point maps. Volskaya Industries, Temple of Anubis, and Hanamura.

Mei is known for stalling on the second point since the rest of the defending team spawns extremely close. That would be made worse if she just had an extra 75 health at all times.

Considering the massive disconnect Overwatch has between high and mid-level play, it makes no sense to balance solely around the professionals.

But how do you reliably balance mid level and below play? Because in high level play, you can look at the numbers and pick rates and see which characters obviously are underperforming, but when it comes to mid and low level play, how do you exactly decide which characters need to be balanced? The skill levels within this range are so massively different, and people do not know how to position, when to retreat, whom to target, etc. There's plenty of low and mid level Symmetras who just take massive shits all over other low/mid level players, because those simply do not know how to deal with her, and that's before her rework. Same goes for Bastion, Torbjorn, Widow, pre-patch D.Va and 76. That didn't/doesn't make them good characters.
We all know that Bastion is a super classic example of a pubstomper - a character who is super easily dealt with if players know what to do/pick against him, while he can just completely dump on anyone who doesn't, yet in high level play, this character is a niche pick whom is based around dealing surprise damage, and usually gets swapped off of very soon after the initial play.

And it seems like Blizzard heavily focuses on balancing more for the higher level play given the choices they made so far (though they have been overshooting the target on more than one occasion, see 76 buff or Widow nerf).
For the lower playerbase, you can only really look at what they is complain about very often. And to this date, many lower level players consider Bastion to be "cheap" and "unfair". Does that mean that Bastion needs another nerf, though? He already is picked so rarely in tournaments because of how terrible he is.

You can address, however, the fun factor concerns. You can take what the lower/mid level playerbase complains about and rework it so that it is less unfun, but still viable. So as an example, let's take projectile hitboxes - and Hanzo's in particular. It's incredibly frustrating to face Hanzo. So to address this, Blizzard made projectile hitboxes the same size as hitscan hitboxes. This turned out to be a bad decision because not only did it cause issues for certain characters' hitboxes, but it also made several characters much less viable - and Hanzo here in particular became much less reliable as a damage dealer for getting those important picks. So Blizzard took the middle ground: They buffed Hanzo's projectile hitboxes, but kept them smaller than the original ones, and they buffed his projectile speed to make up for the smaller arrows.

Also, from my own perspective as a low/mid level player, myself: I know it can be frustrating to face against certain characters (Hanzo in particular is the one I just absolutely hate the most), but I also know that in order to have a healthy game and competitive scene, the characters have to be balanced around higher level gameplay. Address frustration concerns of the "common people", certainly, make the game fun for everyone, but don't do it for the price of compromising the competitive viability of the game.

Shouta

Decided to do some competitive after not touching it since the season started. I win the first 2 then I lose the next. I had 4 golds as Zarya/D.va. Gross

Skii

Why not just remove Genji's double jump? That seems really OP imo like no other character can do it. Also, I feel like he shouldn't be able to dash during dragon blade. That just gives him way too much mobility.

Genji is just rampant and we need to stop him!

Why not just remove Genji's double jump? That seems really OP imo like no other character can do it. Also, I feel like he shouldn't be able to dash during dragon blade. That just gives him way too much mobility.

I know you're joking but I'm fine with Genji being nerfed to the point of uselessness. Genji players in most of 500+ games are terrible and are just a hindrance to the team. And yet until the recent nerfs a single good genji on the other side could carry. It was silly.

There is an audience perception problem with genji because people who cannot play him saw shit like what seagull would do and then just lock themselves on genji, playing poorly and acting entitled when your healers don't bother chasing them halfway across the map.

AbaFadi

Banned
Decided to do some competitive after not touching it since the season started. I win the first 2 then I lose the next. I had 4 golds as Zarya/D.va. Gross

I main Zarya and D.Va and will get a lot of gold medals for eliminations, objective kills, and damage done. Just means you're doing a really good job I think.

Nothing they could do would make the pros give up on the game as long as the money keeps coming in. I'm also talking pretty much only mid-level, since low level is a bunch of people who basically don't know how to play yet, and if they can't figure out how to deal with Bastion, that's on them. However, the same rules don't quite apply when "dealing" with a character basically just involves being really good, and kinda goes against the design philosophy of the game.

Like, the pros are so playing at such an absurd level that just isn't all that representative of the game in a lot of cases, and I don't really understand why people try to follow the meta so closely when they're nowhere near that level of skill.

Let's just remove all abilities and weapons and have all the characters just throw rocks at each other.

I'd play it.

Arrrammis

Huh, turns out people get angry when you get up 4-0 in 1v1's. Guy won the 5th round as D.va and immediately sprayed and started teabagging... Hanzo scatter arrow won me the 6th round. Fantastic.

Shouta

I main Zarya and D.Va and will get a lot of gold medals for eliminations, objective kills, and damage done. Just means you're doing a really good job I think.

That means the DPS aren't doing their job, usually. It's especially true when you have a S76 on your team after his buff.

Satch

Banned
I know you're joking but I'm fine with Genji being nerfed to the point of uselessness. Genji players in most of 500+ games are terrible and are just a hindrance to the team. And yet until the recent nerfs a single good genji on the other side could carry. It was silly.

There is an audience perception problem with genji because people who cannot play him saw shit like what seagull would do and then just lock themselves on genji, playing poorly and acting entitled when your healers don't bother chasing them halfway across the map.

so you want what is arguably the most popular character to get nerfed to shit so that when you inevitably have him on your team (because hes popular and nerfs wont stop people from picking him) hes just dead weight and then what. u think theyre going to switch just cuz they die while theyre playing genji? no, theyre going to keep playing genji cuz they have fun playing that hero

its like with symmetra before her rework, you have this character thats just fucking awful but people pick it anyway and its useless, and then ppl come to the thread complaining about Useless Symmetra being fucken dogshit. same thing with torbjornornrormonomjorn. what do u people want? serious question.

if somebody is going to relentlessly pursue playing a specific character you should want the character to be at least moderately viable so theyre not dead weight.

so you want what is arguably the most popular character to get nerfed to shit so that when you inevitably have him on your team (because hes popular and nerfs wont stop people from picking him) hes just dead weight and then what. u think theyre going to switch just cuz they die while theyre playing genji? no, theyre going to keep playing genji cuz they have fun playing that hero

its like with symmetra before her rework, you have this character thats just fucking awful but people pick it anyway and its useless, and then ppl come to the thread complaining about Useless Symmetra being fucken dogshit. same thing with torbjornornrormonomjorn. what do u people want? serious question.

if somebody is going to relentlessly pursue playing a specific character you should want the character to be at least moderately viable so theyre not dead weight.

Are you having a stroke or something?

Do I need to call an ambulance?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

image.php

Then they should nerf Ana to the point of uselessness because everything you just said applies to Anas as well

Top Bottom