• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Apathy

btw currently you cant queue up with a friend to do 1v1. There is a blue post that says they are currently working on that

Rize_21

Watching Talespin doing 1v1, the epic music put the matches on another level it's great :D.
Mid freeze a nano Rein? never thought of it, genius.

KuroNeeko

So playing on console and just finished my placement matches (1600~).

I usually play Mercy / Zen if there are fewer than two supports on a team and switch to D.Va if there are also fewer than two tanks.

If supports and tanks are full, I go Soldier 76 or Mei.

I only play solo.

Is that a viable approach? I figure I learn how to play a few different characters and still fill a hopefully needed role. Should I just give up on "fun" characters and learn Genji / McCree, Lucio, or Reinheart? I'd like to get better, but still want to play characters I like...

duckroll

Yeah. Pretty bad timing all things considered haha.

It's probably good timing for a holiday in Asia. Either year end or early in the year is best, if you don't want to be baked. Living on the equator is humidity hell!

Oasis is the big one anyway, and we'll be getting that on PTR in Dec. :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I usually play Mercy / Zen if there are fewer than two supports on a team and switch to D.Va if there are also fewer than two tanks.

I only play solo.

Is that a viable approach? I figure I learn how to play a few different characters and still fill a hopefully needed role. Should I just give up on "fun" characters and learn Genji / McCree, Lucio, or Reinheart? I'd like to get better, but still want to play characters I like...

Get better at the characters you like. Pro meta means jack really at our level.

Cappa

Banned

I only play solo.

A strategy most solo Q players use is either

1)fill in any role your team needs

Positives to this is that you´re filling an obvious need in your team the negative is the role you might fill you might not be very good with that hero for example if you´re a really bad support player and you need to fill the support role chances are you wont give much benefit to your team

or

2)stick to your main no matter what and preferably a hero who can self-heal like Mei, Roadhog or Soldier 76.

The positives All 3 heroes are versatile for both offense and defense, you do not need to rely heavily on support heroes because you can heal yourself and since theyre your mains youll be very good with them

The negatives are if the rest of your team decides to just go with whatever and you might be left with big holes either for DPS, Tank, Support etc etc

KuroNeeko

Get better at the characters you like. Pro meta means jack really at our level.

Thanks! Guess I'll be sticking with Zen / Mercy, D.Va, and Mei! Heh.

The negatives are if the rest of your team decides to just go with whatever and you might be left with big holes either for DPS, Tank, Support etc etc

I feel like this happens a lot. I KNOW we need a Reinheart, but I'm so bad with him (or most other offensive heroes) that I just stick with someone I'm more comfortable with. Usually happens when someone locks down D.Va and the team comp is like...Junkrat, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Lucio, and Reaper or something.

Azoor

Apparently we're gonna have gremlin Sombra too !

dva_and_sombra_by_ukayamasaru-danspam.jpg

maomaoIYP

I only play solo.

I only play solo on consoles too and while I did the same as you in S1, I took a different philosophy for S2. I became one of those assholes who insta-lock my main (Pharah) no matter what.
I placed 3178.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The hack health kit thing is ridiculous and it makes me wonder about their internal testing that they thought it was fine enough in design and the initial run of balance. 1 minute is way, way too long for a game as quick as Overwatch. The health kits revive so fast with it that an enemy sombra could just sit on one and you'd never kill them in a 1vs1. I used one of my hacked medkits in mid fight with another Sombra and it was already back up before I even had to reload my SMG.

Antiwhippy

The hack health kit thing is ridiculous and it makes me wonder about their internal testing that they thought it was fine enough in design and the initial run of balance. 1 minute is way, way too long for a game as quick as Overwatch. The health kits revive so fast with it that an enemy sombra could just sit on one and you'd never kill them in a 1vs1. I used one of my hacked medkits in mid fight with another Sombra and it was already back up before I even had to reload my SMG.

I dunno, doesn't seem too bad if you're facing off against her with burst damage characters ie mccree, mei, roadhog, hanzo.

Mei especially because the healthpack will be picked up at the first tick of damage and then she can be frozen and headshot afterwards.

Ana can disable healing too.

Just had the most intense comp match yet. Had a pro Genji (like an actually amazing one) AND a pro Reaper on the other team and we kept trying to counter them on Nepal KoTH. Each map was like 99 Overtime for each team for an actually long time. Last round, used Zenyatta and charged right click RIGHT into the Genji's face as he ulted towards me at 99 Overtime, then Discorded every one of his teammates in succession to help my teammates pull the win for us.

Felt so dang good popping stupid Genji in his stupid face as he focused me. :D

Antiwhippy

god damn doesn't she have enough?

Should probably give people longer than a day with her to figure out her strengths.

Probably true too, but the way people were hyping her up seemed off to me when i started to theory craft how she'll interact with the rest of the cast.

I could be very wrong obviously. Still, she's not as much of a shake up as i have hoped so far. Though she might be. Exciting times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also if you thought Volksaya point B was hard to take before? Good fucking luck now with Sombra on defense. I just ran a game with one and I Was Winston. I had a never ending supply of Medkits. It's like having an engineer Dispenser except it can't even be destroyed. That health pack under the bridge in Anubis Point B is also going to become a nightmare.

Filben

Do you guys have any advice, with explaination, when NOT to pick Tracer or Genji? They are my main heroes and I'm pretty good with them, but 3 out of 5 matches some people complaining (in a language making me NOT to pick any other hero). Like, "no, not on this map", "no, not at defense" (without the swearing and insults of course). So, why? Do they have a legitimate reason?

Do you guys have any advice, with explaination, when NOT to pick Tracer or Genji? They are my main heroes and I'm pretty good with them, but 3 out of 5 matches some people complaining (in a language making me NOT to pick any other hero). Like, "no, not on this map", "no, not at defense" (without the swearing and insults of course). So, why? Do they have a legitimate reason?

Tracer and Genji are great at KOTH, and they're great at attacking for a specific purpose: opening up another angle of attack, from the back.

On defense, the concern is not the same, you're better off having DPS characters that complement each other, ie: Mei and McCree. One to limit movement, the other to address all types of threat (on the ground as well as upstairs or Pharah). McCree's approach is more global, Tracer and Genji zero in on the squishies, which can work of course, but is not ideal. Also, that's key: you want McCree to protect your healers from the Genjis and the Tracers.

Now, to be honest, as for McCree, I strongly believe people shouldn't pick him unless they average 14k damage with 49% accuracy at least. Too many people pick him when they can't sustain those numbers. So, pick a DPS with a more protective mindset, which Tracer and Genji are not anyway.

As a compromise, I'd pick Reaper if McCree is not possible and Mei is already taken. Go standard.

What do people think best 3v3 comp is going to be?

At the moment im thinking its Roadhog, Reaper, Lucio maybe Zen.

Roadhog, McCree, Ana.

Roadhog because he can sustain himself so well. McCree for the versatility (FTH is too easy). Ana because she is queen of healing in that setting (stay grouped use the grenade, use the scope against a targeted partner, better rate of healing than Mercy even), and she gets kills too.

Now, I think the meta of 3v3 is that you should adapt from round to round. And... well, that setup does not really have a clear-cut counter.

Roadhog, McCree, Ana.

Roadhog because he can sustain himself so well. McCree for the versatility. Ana because she is queen of healing in that setting (stay grouped use the grenade, use the scope against a targeted partner, very quick), and she gets kills too.

I think you're right and this may actually be the meta pick but at any level under 3.5k will probably get trashed.

Yeah, definitely seeing Roadhog/Ana/third flex pick as the 3v3 meta. Played Ana for a few 3v3 matches last night and we killed it. Of course, each match had a Sombra on each side, but once her luster wears off there might be a third "standard" pick solidified eventually.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also Sombra hacking Bastion out of turret mode is straight up bogus.

When Blizzard said they'd buff defense characters I guess they only meant one. Mei.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KOTH with 6v6 Sombras is insufferable.

If the enemy takes the first point, it snowballs way too hard because then all the health packs are taken.

Antiwhippy

i agree tbh

the fact that it goes off instantly is crazy to me considering it will literally flatten a defense in a way that even graviton surge couldn't.

guess we'll see what people think

Thing is, seeing her range is roughly that of blizzard she needs to be right in the middle of the enemy team to have it exploited at is full effect. You might think that's what her invis is for, but the delay when she decloaks is really gonna fuck with her i feel.

At that point mccree can flash bang her, rein can Earth shatter her, roadhog can hook her etc. etc. I might be wrong but i can see it actually being really hard for her to get that ult off optimally.

Top Bottom