• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Cappa

Banned
Thing is, seeing her range is roughly that of blizzard she needs to be right in the middle of the enemy team to have it exploited at is full effect. You might think that's what her invis is for, but the delay when she decloaks is really gonna fuck with her i feel.

At that point mccree can flash bang her, rein can Earth shatter her, roadhog can hook her etc. etc. I might be wrong but i can see it actually being really hard for her to get that ult off optimally.
Probably will be situational like a well placed reaper ult flanking from behind and dropping from above

My vote for 3v3 comp is Zarya/Winston/Zenyatta. They synergize really well, and you really don't need a ton of healing if you're focusing targets.

The Antarctica map is also just really good for Reaper, though. Lots of tight spaces and opportunities to get a quick pick.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh yeah, somehow didn't think about reaper ult. Whoops.

Hmm, seeing that it's instantaneous unlike death blossom she might not need a bubble like reaper does. Shell probably die, but it might be worth it.

Who knows though. Pros are also pretty good now at looking out for dropping reapers.

Zarya is pretty bad on 3v3. Much less opportunity to get charge, especially with the nerf to it.

Roadhog is easily top tier in that mode. Widow, 76, Mei and Pharah also are really good.

Fancolors

Would be cool to see 3x3 being played as a pre-tournament event or something before the actual matches. The winners would get a cookie or something.

Skii

My vote for 3v3 comp is Zarya/Winston/Zenyatta. They synergize really well, and you really don't need a ton of healing if you're focusing targets.

The Antarctica map is also just really good for Reaper, though. Lots of tight spaces and opportunities to get a quick pick.

I think the best comp is Roadhog, Mei and Ana. They all have the best ratio of sustainability and DPS. No one comes close to them really. Roadhog is mandatory because of the hook and Ana can quickly drop biotic grenade making it impossible for the hooked target to survive.

Reaper isn't great because he needs to be close range and usually you want to get a few shots in from range and possibly get a pick. Mei can get icicle headshots that could take someone out completely.

Also, all of those 3 build ult pretty fast meaning if the battle is somehow drawn out, they get their ults first.

Oh yeah, somehow didn't think about reaper ult. Whoops.

Hmm, seeing that it's instantaneous unlike death blossom she might not need a bubble like reaper does. Shell probably die, but it might be worth it.

Who knows though. Pros are also pretty good now at looking out for dropping reapers.

She probably won't die though if you place a translocator before diving in for EMP. She can then invisible run back into the fight and clean up.

Rize_21

Oasis will be the beginning of maps with jump pads, can't wait for it in 1v1 and 3v3, then I'll play a lot of deathmatches, that mechanic is a must to me, it'll rain frags and ragdolls :p.

Cappa

Banned
Ill wait until I get my hands on 3vs3 or 1vs1 to make final judgement but I just dont see the lasting appeal without objectives. Its great that theyre implementing it as the option is there for anyone that wants it but meh.

The thing that makes Overwatch different and fresh is the objectives side of things, mindless Team Deathmatch with the current game mechanics just seems like it will get old quick. Dont get me wrong, Im fine with Team Deathmatch type of modes but for games like COD or BF where you are unlocking guns, killstreaks etc and your KD ratio is actually relevant to how good you are.

Ill wait until I get my hands on 3vs3 or 1vs1 to make final judgement but I just dont see the lasting appeal without objectives. Its great that theyre implementing it as the option is there for anyone that wants it but meh.

The thing that makes Overwatch different and fresh is the objectives side of things, mindless Team Deathmatch with the current game mechanics just seems like it will get old quick. Dont get me wrong, Im fine with Team Deathmatch type of modes but for games like COD or BF where you are unlocking guns, killstreaks etc and your KD ratio is actually relevant to how good you are.

YMMV on the longevity, but from what I played of both the 1v1 and 3v3 last night, I really enjoyed them. The big difference, at least from what I've seen, is the lack of respawn. Makes each match a lot more tense, and hopefully it will encourage a lot of people to learn how to "play smarter" and be more survivable in the regular modes. I agree that a straight-up TDM mode in Overwatch would probably be terrible, but the fact that you only get one life per round actually makes a huge difference, at least I think.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Weird, not even Defense Matrix can stop the translocator. That thing is completely invincible

The Blizz dev on Stylosa's stream said it could. He also didn't know if Genji could deflect it.

this is the internal balancing we have.

she honestly doesn't feel ready at all. like every blizzard test was sombra vs sombra and they never saw how she'd interact with everyone else.

Cappa

Banned
, but the fact that you only get one life per round actually makes a huge difference, at least I think.

Interesting, I did not know that. I thought it was just typical TD first to X score wins. If its TD Elimination Im definitely more interested.

The Blizz dev on Stylosa's stream said it could. He also didn't know if Genji could deflect it.

she honestly doesn't feel ready at all. like every blizzard test was sombra vs sombra and they never saw how she'd interact with everyone else.

isnt this what the PTR is for though?

Symmetra is so annoying to play 1v1, we're trying just trying bait each other into turrets.

That kind of sounds fun. Alt-fire luck shots, drawing someone out, taking damage to pull them into damage.

Turret nest and then use the sit emote!

Apathy

Like I mentioned earlier, on blizzcon day, annemuniton was streaming with Tim , one if the Dev guys, next to her and he was answer her questions as well as her chats, and it was scary and concerning got many times his response was "I don't know" to how sombra interacted with other characters. When he said that they want to make her feel fun first and they'll worry about the balance later, I was stunned that he would say that. Like she better be on the ptr for a while

Yeah, I get that they have the PTR but it's really weird how raw she is. The "I don't know"s we got during Blizzcon were really weird, it's not like they were insane combinations or abilities.

Like I mentioned earlier, on blizzcon day, annemuniton was streaming with Tim , one if the Dev guys, next to her and he was answer her questions as well as her chats, and it was scary and concerning got many times his response was "I don't know" to how sombra interacted with other characters. When he said that they want to make her feel fun first and they'll worry about the balance later, I was stunned that he would say that. Like she better be on the ptr for a while

I personally feel that Arcade mode is a significant amount thing to consider the November thing, push Sombra to December along with Season 3's kick off. But considering the ARG, they're probably pressured to put her out asap.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
isnt this what the PTR is for though?

She needs a lot longer than a week for balancing. And I guarantee you she'll be out on live next week. I'd put money on it.

They can't do the 'let the community figure it out!' thing they do for HOTS with this. That's what Valve does with TF2 and no one will take your game seriously in eSports if you go down that route.

Plesiades

Happy Birthday (Me)i!
fafiHDn.jpg

Mendrox

lol@Sombra being called unbalanced. Push the translocator CD up and she is fine as she is. Even though she can counter most of the cast, the cast can as easily kill her too. Nerf the translocator and she cannot do the same health pack trick all the time.

Also after reading the hack character list I feel like she is a little bit useless in certain comps.

duckroll

Now that I think about it, I don't see many people playing Soldier but he could probably be a pretty solid pick too. Any character who can take damage and get away, self-heal, and deal decent amounts of damage has an auto-advantage in the mode.

Tovarisc

lol@Sombra being called unbalanced. Push the translocator CD up and she is fine as she is. Even though she can counter most of the cast, the cast can as easily kill her too. Nerf the translocator and she cannot do the same health pack trick all the time.

Also after reading the hack character list I feel like she is a little bit useless in certain comps.

If you want counter that health pack tactic you need to do something at her end after transponder is down, not with cooldown for how fast she can redeploy it after use. Maybe delay between pressing E and being recalled to transponder should be just tad longer so window for dealing that last bit of damage to Sombra is larger?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I just want to share this awesome experience from last week.

One of the things I absolutely love about Blizzard and Blizzcon is how approachable and accessable blizzard devs are. I got to meet and chat with Jeff Kaplan there for several mins. And it wasn't him running off somewhere, or backstage or anything like that. He was in the main hall in good but not great seating, 4 rows behind us. And he was perfectly casual and great to talk to, mostly about character design and street fighter stuff (and how Arnold Tsang's Street fighter background influences some of their art design). We left him alone after a few to not be bugging him much, but yeah. Just geeking out about being able to have an awesome conversation with the lead director for a game I sink hours and hours into each week, like it was no big deal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will say that I had some of the most success killing Sombra with Hanzo.

Reaper gets a headshot while shadowstepping, Sombra gets the scatter while translocating.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Who the hell eats 28 cups of noodles in 4 days?! That's a little unhealthy.

Also is the handwriting the same? Did she write the birthday note to herself?

From what i know to survive the extreme cold you need to pump yourself full of calories because your body is burning a ton of it just to survive.

So it just clicked with me that Sombra's EMP negates all of the shields in your health pool. So Zenyatta drops to 50HP, Zarya drops to 200HP, and Symmetra drops to 100HP immediately. Obviously Symmetra isn't in the meta, and Zenyatta barely so, but given the right enemy team comp the EMP can actually do a reasonable amount of damage to the enemy health pool.

So it just clicked with me that Sombra's EMP negates all of the shields in your health pool. So Zenyatta drops to 50HP, Zarya drops to 200HP, and Symmetra drops to 100HP immediately. Obviously Symmetra isn't in the meta, and Zenyatta barely so, but given the right enemy team comp the EMP can actually do a reasonable amount of damage to the enemy health pool.

Yeah, I haven't gotten a chance to play alongside her a lot, but as somebody who plays a lot of Zarya, Sombra is probably going to be my best friend (on my team) and worst enemy (on the enemy team). A Graviton Surge backed by an EMP will be an absolute slaughter, but having my barriers taken away and half my health gone with one move? Not looking forward to it.

Sombra completely deletes Zen from the game.

Again.

Eh. Maybe. His ult can't be hacked/EMP'd if it's already in use - she's much more of a counter to Lucio - keeping him from switching songs and deleting his ult shields immediately. Meanwhile any orbs Zen already have out stay out and I don't think the regular hack takes away shields - just the EMP, right?

I foresee a lot of Sombra baiting Zen's ult before using hers, although if Zen ults first his team might be able to focus down Sombra before she gets away or into a position to do anything.

Yeah, I haven't gotten a chance to play alongside her a lot, but as somebody who plays a lot of Zarya, Sombra is probably going to be my best friend (on my team) and worst enemy (on the enemy team). A Graviton Surge backed by an EMP will be an absolute slaughter, but having my barriers taken away and half my health gone with one move? Not looking forward to it.

In the tests I've seen - if Zarya's barrier is up when Sombra EMPs, only the barrier goes away but not your shields. So if you have a good reaction time you can at least keep your health.

Completely eats Lucio's ult too.

Thing is, seeing her range is roughly that of blizzard she needs to be right in the middle of the enemy team to have it exploited at is full effect. You might think that's what her invis is for, but the delay when she decloaks is really gonna fuck with her i feel.

At that point mccree can flash bang her, rein can Earth shatter her, roadhog can hook her etc. etc. I might be wrong but i can see it actually being really hard for her to get that ult off optimally.

yeah, I can see that. Really looking forward to how it affects things, though :p

Blues1990

Because she's the only one who survived being cryo freezed for 10 years.

All her co workers died from pod failure.
Given how it's almost impossible to explore the map in Custom Games (as the option isn't there), it's kind of hard to see these small details. I did notice that she has a pair of yeti slippers right next to her pod.

MUnited83

For you.
Someone said PTR servers were US servers only? It seems to actually depend on the mode. Arcade matches I get the ping I get in EU servers

Top Bottom