• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Anne

Nah, they'll just stop playing. It's why I'm still terrible at Street Fighter after all this time.

Even if half the player base just quits the game will still have 20x as many people playing as SFV easily lol I'm sure enough people will stick around and get decent after time passes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like, the thing is as much as we like to talk about pro strats and all that, the one big appeal about overwatch is that it's super easygoing. It's why this is my first online shooter after years and not, say, CSGo.

I think it's safe to say that overwatch is bigger than Street fighter at this point.

It's also safe to say that has nothing to do with the point I was making.

Even if half the player base just quits the game will still have 20x as many people playing as SFV easily lol I'm sure enough people will stick around and get decent after time passes.

They don't have to leave permanently, but they won't play consistently enough to get any better.

Some of them will also leave permanently, but new people will just replace them and either be just as bad or be incredibly infuriating to play against.

I was also half-joking, so don't take anything I say too seriously.

Anne

IMO the types of things pros are doing today will be what easy going players are doing a year from now. Casual players who never look anything up and have no mechanics will obviously always not, but I'm pretty confident the average player will be able to at least use CDs and know how to play the map/fights.

Like, if you watch year one/two of pro LoL it's really cringey. Same for any competitive game that lasts awhile. Your average players that boot it up on a regular basis will just get better faster.

rulerk1

i never bag on the skills of my teammates but wow at this comp match I just had. An absolute steamroll. One dude left when it was our turn to attack so it got worst. I dont even think they were trying. We were the overdogs too

Edit: played five matches comp matches today. 2 drew and three got steamrolled on. Late night comp is so weird and unforgiving

IMO the types of things pros are doing today will be what easy going players are doing a year from now. Casual players who never look anything up and have no mechanics will obviously always not, but I'm pretty confident the average player will be able to at least use CDs and know how to play the map/fights.

Like, if you watch year one/two of pro LoL it's really cringey. Same for any competitive game that lasts awhile. Your average players that boot it up on a regular basis will just get better faster.

Closed Beta competitive Overwatch gameplay is far beyond the current capabilities of myself and most of the players I've seen, including ones I haven't actually played with myself. I'm not sure that's really a reasonable comparison in this case.

Unless you mean in terms of the meta or something.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My first 4 boxes were full of coal but I at least got a hockey Lucio skin from the 5th.

Kenai

Yay free stuffs.

Got the Yeti Winston and some monies. I don't really play Winston but it's a nice skin so maybe that will push me to not always play D. Va.

Mei skin still eludes me but that's the only one i don't have so not too bad on luck.

I have discovered over the past week I'm really good with D.Va.

Straight up just got play of the game 4 games in a row

Now up to 6 straight games with Play of the game and 5 out of 6 with 4 gold medals per round.

Jesus I always new I was OK / solid with her but I'm really figuring her out

I like to think I'm good with her, but seems ultimate is practically useless in comp with people being pro at hiding.

Ult is for pressure and momentum, not necessarily kills.

When you have ult you can most times guarantee you can dive and still keep the mech cause you can just ult and run and drop it again.

Untill people realize you can kill D.Va in between her being out of mech and the explosion, it's tough but it keeps her down for longer.

Nimby

Banned
I think it's safe to say that overwatch is bigger than Street fighter at this point.

Is all of the DLC shit with SFV free? I think it is, but it's probably a grind to unlock. Don't think it's worth 59.99. Revelator looks a lot more fun, and MKXL is $20.

Ok now up to 6 straight games Play of the game and 5 out of 6 with 4 gold medals

JESUS I always new I was solid with her but I'm really figuring her out

antitrop

Mercy/Hanzo duo and the Mercy would only heal/boost the Hanzo. Fucking kill me

I saw Rein charging health packs at one point, it was a sorry sight.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The more I play with, as, against symmetra, the more I feel like she can be a massive liability. Her problem still lies in that other than her ult, which is great, her other abilities are still honestly mediocre. You really need a team that knows how to defend because if you see a sym on the opposite side it's stupid easy to snowball. Her gun still fucking sucks for 1v1.

If you can get her going then great. At the start though well, cross your fingers and hope.

She's also still useless during the payload phase.

Also god I fucking hate playing with roadhogs sometimes. They think they're all solo carrying gods and end up dying because they keep fucking overextending. Roadhogs are the fucking worst.

The more I play with, as, against symmetra, the more I feel like she can be a massive liability. Her problem still lies in that other than her ult, which is great, her other abilities are still honestly mediocre. You really need a team that knows how to defend because if you see a sym on the opposite side it's stupid easy to snowball. Her gun still fucking sucks for 1v1.

If you can get her going then great. At the start though well, cross your fingers and hope.

She's also still useless during the payload phase.

Also god I fucking hate playing with roadhogs sometimes. They think they're all solo carrying gods and end up dying because they keep fucking overextending. Roadhogs are the fucking worst.

Her gun melts everyone 1v1?

JimiNutz

Banned
Girlfriend bought me this for Xmas.
Have not really been following the game at all and know very little about it but am excited to try it out.

Where should I start? Just jump straight online or is there some kind of SP mode?

Roadhog and Zenyatta are my two most played heroes. I think the problem with Hog is that you get this false sense of invulnerable Death God thingy, which I usually keep in mind. But yes, majority of Roadhogs I encounter in Quickplay do over-extend by quite a bit.

Her gun melts everyone 1v1?

Yeah, I'm confused too. Post-patch, I'm really careful with my positioning w.r.t. Symmetra. Her gun's capable of horrific amounts of damage if she manages to close the distance (I think they increased the effective range) or flanks you when you're not paying attention.

Have not really been following the game at all and know very little about it but am excited to try it out.

Where should I start? Just jump straight online or is there some kind of SP mode?

I'm pretty new to this game as well, so I'd advise you to do what I did at first. Try out all the heroes once in the Practice arena and then go play in Quick Play with whichever ones you find easy to play. If you start getting confident with certain heroes, then bring them into Competitive. There is no real Single Player campaign, if that's what you're referring to when you say "SP mode."

Angel_DvA

Blizzard still awful at balancing their games, new Symetra gameplay is really good but God she's totally unstoppable, she's gonna be nerf in the next patch with Tracer.

Anne

It really doesn't.

Anyone that can aim basically destroys sym.

I mostly agree with this, but I still approach the woman pretty carefully. If you whiff on her life sucks ;~; sucks to sucks I guess.

That being said most characters can play outside of 7m or have ways to detether themselves so.

You should start by telling us what platform you're on and posting whatever online ID is associated :>

Closed Beta competitive Overwatch gameplay is far beyond the current capabilities of myself and most of the players I've seen, including ones I haven't actually played with myself. I'm not sure that's really a reasonable comparison in this case.

Unless you mean in terms of the meta or something.

When I watch beta "pro" games these days, it's kinda laughable some of the shit teams were getting away with. Remember this was a timespan where NRG(LG at the time) were considered /top 3 in the world/. Top level play has improved tremendously since then, and I think that when people around my level just play casually we can get past that level. I'm not particularly that good, and if you've seen some of our casual QP streams you can see us goof off but still make plays. It's starting to move down.

Overwatch is also going slowly since it has the special distinction of "what genre is this thing even" going on. A lot of people learned and tried to play the game like TF2, and surprise it's more of a MOBA that just has aim.

Moonkid

Start with 'Training' on the menu to get your bearings with the characters. The tutorial isn't bad but if you've played shooters you're not missing much by going straight to the Practice Range and giving anyone a go. Some know-how:

- The three main game modes are: King of the Hill where you contest a single zone in a map, Payload where you either push or hold some kind of payload e.g. a car, and Assault where there are two zones you capture/defend, they unlock one after the other and once the first is captured by the attackers it's gone for good.

- If you're on console you'll want to change some bindings, try putting jump on L3. Note that each hero also has an individual page for bindings so you can do whatever you want :) I have jump on different keys for a couple of heroes and the more you play the more you'll find what fits right for you

- Try entering a map in a custom game by yourself to get to know where all the paths are and health-pack locations. You don't have to learn them inside out running around by yourself but because of the random nature of the map and mode cycling it's not always reliable to try and learn through experience.

As far as playing the game goes, I'd say you can't go too wrong if you stick with your team. Always have at least one or two people that can help you in an encounter whether they're by your side or on higher ground beside you. You always want to enter a fight either even or outnumbering them. I'd also encourage you to run away from a fight if you think you're gonna risk death. Obviously you don't want to ditch your team so if the situation permits you're better off alive than respawning.

Sec0nd

Any PS4 top 500 players here? You tend to run into a lot of same people at that level. Wondering if I've played against some GAF people! :)

Anne

I got battleborn for christmas!

961.jpg

Top Bottom