• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Lemstar

Did a recent update make the game more taxing to run? I have a lower spec system but was able to play with custom high settings with some low/medium settings mixed in. Never dropped below Low 40s even during big firefights. Now even on medium I get big drops as low as 30.

It's frustrating as hell.
Oh, it's not just me, then? I went from maintaining 120fps at 1920x1080 with everything on low to not even being able to play at 60fps with the same settings at 50% rendering scale.

I just assumed that it had to do with Nvidia's drivers.

MartyStu

It's unfair though that they keep nerfing things that are abused by high level players because it makes things unusable for low level players. Case in point - Lucio's healing is shit now and before he could solo heal which was a godsend in disorganised pub games (ie most of the games of Overwatch that are played). Now he's bad at that because speedboost was too valuable for pros and Blizz hit him with the nerf bat in the wrong place.

This Lucio nerf still annoys the living fuck out of me. I love Ana, but she really under-performs in most disorganized groups where you either have to pocket someone, or run around the map hunting for people in multiple 1 v 1s.

This Lucio nerf still annoys the living fuck out of me. I love Ana, but she really under-performs in most disorganized groups where you either have to pocket someone, or run around the map hunting for people in multiple 1 v 1s.
Same - Ana can solo heal but even then she is so much less consistent than old Lucio in disorganised teams.

So I took Anne's advice and turned up my sensitivity from 7 in game to 9/10 depending on the hero... and it has helped tremendously especially with Genji and Ana. Ana is by far my best healer on Xbox and I wanna transfer that over to PC. So much easier to hit sleep darts on PC. It's silly. Surprisingly my genji is better on PC then it is on console where it's trash-tier, But all my hit scan characters are rough. Still getting the hang of KB/M.

Also, tracer isn't as good on PC as she is on console where you can literally run circles around everyone.

antitrop

Surprisingly my genji is better on PC then it is on console where it's trash-tier

Is it really surprising? It's the exact same case for me and it's completely to my expectations.

My PC Genji:
CJrMUeJ.png

My PS4 Genji:

59% winrate vs 32%

And I played the PS4 version at the time when Genji was most meta

Apathy

Is it really surprising? It's the exact same case for me and it's completely to my expectations.

My PC Genji:

My PS4 Genji:

59% winrate vs 32%

who would have though an fps is better with a keyboard and mouse? shocking lol.

They should rename this game to Overdraw... on account of there's a lot of Draws...

Seriously though this game does NOT want me to get out of Platinum. Every time I get into the 2800s I get busted back down by a loss/draw streak. Feels bad to spend 20+ minutes on a single match, fight super hard, get a draw and have nothing to show for it.

Alucrid

Banned

My PC Genji:

My PS4 Genji:

59% winrate vs 32%

pc players are more willing to carry a genji?

Laputa_94

They should rename this game to Overdraw... on account of there's a lot of Draws...

Seriously though this game does NOT want me to get out of Platinum. Every time I get into the 2800s I get busted back down by a loss/draw streak. Feels bad to spend 20+ minutes on a single match, fight super hard, get a draw and have nothing to show for it.

That is pretty much my season in a nutshell, the only difference is me trying to get to master. Not my worst season, but it feels like my unluckiest.

ohkay

My Genji stats are oddly very similar on ps4 and PC, but PC has a 57% vs a 53% win rate on ps4. He's essentially my most played on both platforms too

Nimby

Banned
Healing in general is too strong, and Ana is leader in that regard. Mercy is far and away the weakest support, but buffing her heal from 50 to 60 was not what she needed. Blizzard don't seem to understand that if another single target healer heals way more, and provides 10x more useful utility, teams will run them so much more often.

Biotic grenade is literally 3 abilities combined into 1, and she has a sleep dart. Mercy has a damage boost, and Res is severly overrated by most. It can save games but it can be countered hard and Mercy is so vulnerable during it.

Apathy

Healing in general is too strong, and Ana is leader in that regard. Mercy is far and away the weakest support, but buffing her heal from 50 to 60 was not what she needed. Blizzard don't seem to understand that if another single target healer heals way more, and provides 10x more useful utility, teams will run them so much more often.

Biotic grenade is literally 3 abilities combined into 1, and she has a sleep dart. Mercy has a damage boost, and Res is severly overrated by most. It can save games but it can be countered hard and Mercy is so vulnerable during it.

The 100% healing and -100% healing against enemies is way too extreme in both cases, when something like 40% healing and -60% healing against enemies would be more balanced. fudging with the nade numbers is going to be how blizzard balances ana, and how we might get away from the tank meta

antitrop

Mercy has a damage boost, and Res is severly overrated by most. It can save games but it can be countered hard and Mercy is so vulnerable during it.

I think it's hiding for Rez that is overrated. It's not the only way to use it, I don't even think it's the best way to use it. Because ya, hiding and trying to fly in for that game-saving Rez does leave her extremely vulnerable, but I play it more closely to my team, sustain them with the healing beam, and Rez when I can and I have much more success doing so.

I really find it better to just not let your team die in the first place.

What if, to buff mercy, they let her activate her ult after death but it only revives her?

So like she could use it to revive x teammates while she is alive or use it to revive only herself after death. Would make her a little more durable, but at a cost. There have also been some clutch moments where I've died as Mercy and been sure that had I still been alive we could've held it.

Anne

Yay, I'm helping. Good stuff.

In other news, just give Mercy an E eventually.

To Data East taking a jab at the "listen to pros" thing, it's like 20/80 even for them. A lot of them say "you shouldn't do this" and then Blizz just does it. A lot of them point things that should have happened awhile ago, but they are still unchanged. So, the group that has the most influence over balance decisions feeling ignored is just not great when you can even remotely justify it.

Nimby

Banned
I think it's hiding for Rez that is overrated. It's not the only way to use it, I don't even think it's the best way to use it. Because ya, hiding and trying to fly in for that game-saving Rez does leave her extremely vulnerable, but I play it more closely to my team, sustain them with the healing beam, and Rez when I can and I have much more success doing so.

I really find it better to just not let your team die in the first place.

Basically, the only reason to hide as Mercy and res is when you're expecting the team to come back with a war chest of ults and will wipe your teams pretty fast with them. When the fight is sloppy/longwinded, res during the fight to give you the number advantage. Mercy and the idea of a res is easily countered though, if the enemy has a war chest of ults, they can use graviton + something to wipe, then a nanoboost + something to wipe again after res. Also just having a Tracer on her can dictate whether she gets res or not, how many people she can get (without the pressure from a Tracer, she could have gotten a better position to res more members), and can force her to res early and have other teammates die immediately after. Hiding as Mercy exists for a reason, but it doesn't always have to be 4x/5x res like you said.

The only two buffs I would give Mercy is a new ability/utility like a cleanse or purge, and give her invincibilty during res (as soon as she presses q and a few seconds after).

Nimby

Banned
To Data East taking a jab at the "listen to pros" thing, it's like 20/80 even for them. A lot of them say "you shouldn't do this" and then Blizz just does it. A lot of them point things that should have happened awhile ago, but they are still unchanged. So, the group that has the most influence over balance decisions feeling ignored is just not great when you can even remotely justify it.

The opinion of pro players >>>>>>>>>>>>>> than some guy on the official forums who just made his 30th "Winston buff" thread

I constantly think "why doesn't Blizzard just try what this pro player said?" or "why not encourage them to test PTR specifically and take their feedback as priority" assuming they're gonna actually use the PTR to balance things instead of just a beta test for upcoming changes or like the D.Va/76 patch.

finalflame

And I get a piece of shit griefing Bastion on my team, who procceeds to make bleep-bloop noises on voice chat and be completely unresponsive as he gets killed over and over again and contributes NOTHING to the fucking game.

I legitimately would not care if these people were wiped off the face of the planet, with or without a good dose of torture beforehand.

BigDug13

It's unfair though that they keep nerfing things that are abused by high level players because it makes things unusable for low level players. Case in point - Lucio's healing is shit now and before he could solo heal which was a godsend in disorganised pub games (ie most of the games of Overwatch that are played). Now he's bad at that because speedboost was too valuable for pros and Blizz hit him with the nerf bat in the wrong place.

Care to cite the exact nerf to Lucio's healing? He heals 278 hps over 15 seconds now instead of 290 hps over 15 seconds based on this "nerf" that only affected his amp healing for 3 seconds out of every 15. I defy you to truly notice that as a legit nerf to his healing ability. He's essentially the same healer he always was. It's just that Ana is so far and away the superior healer that Lucio healing in contrast is basically a joke.

I think people read 10% in the patch notes and didn't do any critical thinking to realize what was actually nerfed on Lucio.

Kenai

The opinion of pro players >>>>>>>>>>>>>> than some guy on the official forums who just made his 30th "Winston buff" thread

I constantly think "why doesn't Blizzard just try what this pro player said?" or "why not encourage them to test PTR specifically and take their feedback as priority" assuming they're gonna actually use the PTR to balance things instead of just a beta test for upcoming changes or like the D.Va/76 patch.

What matters is if the arguments are reasoned and backed by both maths and practices. "Feelings" do matter too but not nearly as much since those aren't realistically quantifiable outside extreme examples usually correlating to player use (if a character really does suck and is no fun it usually does end up getting played or winning a lot less even among casuals who won't even know about a tournament, much less watch it to mimic).

You don't need to be a pro player to have the math and argument be on your side, and it's far easier for a reasoned augment with math to get lost among the "buff my main and nerf the toons I just lost to" topics when you are an unknown nobody on a message board and pros have that additional platform/fanbase to echo whatever they are saying.

I don't think it's impossible to make a character good for both, but after playing WoW for many, many years and how that game was balanced for PvE and PvP and all the various raid tiers and whatnot (some of which I am still salty about to this day), it's really a coin toss on whether or not they will listen to the lower rungs of players even when they should, and it can get very frustrating when it's clear high level team play is the main consideration for a buff or nerf to the point where it feels like other modes didn't actually get acknowledged. I'm not gonna act like it's not a lot of work to do so, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying.

In reality though, most of the characters feel playable to me and my admittedly short time with the game. Some do seem clearly better than others at certain things that seem to be more valued by the playerbase that I find questionable in PUGs, usually from those people trying to mimic the last tournament they saw, but that's no different than something like LoL so I'm used to that as well. It helps to know that some of the more questionable choices right now (Ana and D. Va and 76? I think) are up for a look soon.

Apathy

I never thought I would say this but there is something I wish the OW team copied from the HS team, scary. Anyway, with every new event coming out, having to go through all the characters and each subset to find out what I have and what I don't is tedious. I would love a way to know how many x/y I have for a specific even items. Maybe like "show current event items only" or just a sub menu that shows how many of the event items i have and for whom

Just got off the derank train. Matchmaking sure is something today lol

Take a break for a bit, losing a lot of ranks in one hurts

Nimby

Banned

A pro players opinion is probably the safest route you can go, you only want to take suggestions from someone who has spent reasonable amount of time playing and/or understanding the game from all perspectives. And/or because you learn a whole lot about the game at a very high level from eSports and pro player streams. Someone who may not have very great mechanical skill like me, can find a group of like minded-people and make a decent plat/diamond level team and try to improve their skills.

I agree with everything you said, it's just a few pro players have been very vocal about the changes they want to see to specific heroes and maps, and they just keep getting overlooked or dodged for some reason.

Sullichin

My 11 year old nephew is getting into PC gaming and got some computer parts and Overwatch for Christmas. We've been playing quickplay and having a blast. Honestly he's pretty good! Really impressed with his grasp of the game already and even his aim considering he recently started kb/m at all. But it's just amazing to see him so excited about it.

Top Bottom