• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

cyborg009

Banned
And now I'm too low to even join with anyone.

Fuck my life.

Your friend was high playing roadhog and didn't switched when we asked. Seriously I hate when people don't switched off.

Had a pharah in KOTH that was getting killed over and over again by zarya and 76 but never switched.

Shouldn't it be your younger brother then?

Huh? No, the person I quoted was talking about their younger nephew, so I chimed in one of my relatives played the game for the first time today as well, only he's older than I am.

I just meant the stereotype of new players insta-locking genji.

Blues1990

Your friend was high playing roadhog and didn't switched when we asked. Seriously I hate when people don't switched off.

Had a pharah in KOTH that was getting killed over and over again by zarya and 76 but never switched.

He's usually pretty good with switching, so I don't know why he ignored you guys. Also, I'm really upset that I can't play with anyone anymore.

Maybe I should uninstall the game and reinstall it when Season 4 comes around.

Apathy

I was on the splash screen for a bit while i watched Kripp tonight, just now noticing that lucio's index finger is really long. Like freakishly long.

Why do people hate junkrat users so much? I use him a lot because I mained demoman in TF2 and got pretty good at knowing where to bank shots and stuff

Fancolors

Why do people hate junkrat users so much? I use him a lot because I mained demoman in TF2 and got pretty good at knowing where to bank shots and stuff
Feeds ult charge to enemy support, can't secure kills reliably as hitscan do and there is this annoying trend between Junks of thinking gold damage means something.

a lot carelessly lob shots which helps Zarya gain charge and supports gain ults, a lot of them can't hit targets consistently with his primary fire and would be better off switching to a hitscan hero, a lot of them aren't necessary in a comp and refuse to switch when we're getting dominated by junkrat counters, a lot of them choose him on attack even though he's much better on defense or in koth/control

in reality he's ok, he's very good at area denial, can make squishes (especially tracer) quiver in fear and he's a hard rein counter for many reasons

with a buff or two he'd easily be viable at higher levels I think. The main issue holding him back at pro play from what I've gathered is he just can't reliably get kills which actually can't really be changed without completely gutting and reworking him I would think.

Apathy

going to be so sad when (if?) they ever fix roadhogs hook, because honestly, nothing in this game makes me laugh like a giddy little kid as much as some of the bullshit hooks I've hit

going to be so sad when (if?) they ever fix roadhogs hook, because honestly, nothing in this game makes me laugh like a giddy little kid as much as some of the bullshit hooks I've hit

nothing I love more in the game than doing callouts with roadhog

"Genji, top left roof, annnnd he's dead"

YgA6Rk1.jpg

This is the kind of shit I get stuck with in competitive, man. Trolls trolling trolls.

In one of those free Loot Boxes Blizzard gave us I got the exact same Tracer Christmas spray.

Had no idea you could get the same item in one box. That's pretty funny.

Moonkid

If Junkrat had a sticky option for his grenades I'd probably play him more often. *Reminisces Demoman days.*
This is the kind of shit I get stuck with in competitive, man. Trolls trolling trolls.
I feel for ya ;_; Trolls are worse than teammates who aren't competent at the game.

Shahadan

Anyone else still not used to Sombra being there? She doesn't fit the game artstyle to me, she feels really out of place. Like if she was a guest character from another game. Or a fan addition.
And unlike the others she doesn't look like she could be the lead in her own game. Well maybe but not from one I would expect to have good art. She's just purple. And ugly.
Even her face icon in the select menu looks like they used the wrong one.

Oh well. I still think she's fun to play. I just expect the next hero to look like he belongs.

All the new blood tonight (even saw a level 1) has made for some interesting quick play match ups.

I've been having really weird matchups these past couple of weeks. Usually, I get really competitive games at least 40% of the time, but right now, either my team gets stomped or my team stomps the opposition 7-8 games out of 10. I've stopped playing most of my main characters and have been trying out new ones because of this.

Anyone else still not used to Sombra being there? She doesn't fit the game artstyle to me, she feels really out of place. Like if she was a guest character from another game. Or a fan addition.
And unlike the others she doesn't look like she could be the lead in her own game. Well maybe but not from one I would expect to have good art. She's just purple. And ugly.

Oh well. I still think she's fun to play. I just expect the next hero to look like he belongs.

I agree with most of this except that I don't even have fun playing her. Her damage sucks, her teleporter is a worse version of Tracer's recall and the only way to reliably use hacking is on medpacks, as trying to hack mid-fight is suicide and even if you flank a straggler, her audio cues of "Been here all along" and "Here I am" just give away her position before you can even begin hacking. If I'm playing DPS and I see a Sombra, I always switch to Reaper and when her audio cue goes off, more often than not, I find her behind me, ready to eat the dual shotguns. Also as someone who mains Zen on Support, I almost always manage to one up the enemy Sombra.

NeoRaider

He's usually pretty good with switching, so I don't know why he ignored you guys. Also, I'm really upset that I can't play with anyone anymore.

Maybe I should uninstall the game and reinstall it when Season 4 comes around.

I would like to tell you don't give up but i did gave up so... play QP and Arcade (if you like it). And try to have fun again.

I can't say that i agree but i don't disagree either. I see that many ppl are having similar opinion like you.

As a hero and her design... i don't think that she is out of place but gameplay wise, being very weak, yes. Sadly.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think people miscontrue sombra as being weak. With a few tweaks to other heroes she can be insanely strong honestly.

People are just afraid to experiment right now.

NimbusD

I'm really hating this game now. Doesn't matter how well I do, as just about everything is going against me right now.

same here dude. probably 10 losses and 1 win tn, followed by a similar night yesterday.

At least this game realizes from last season my score is usualyl way better, every win brings me up to where I was like 3 losses ago, even the game doesnt think I deserve this beating.

I'm so low every game is literally em going "gorup up, group up, group up" "fall back you're the only one in there please, what are you doing"

and getting answers like "its good if I get a pick by the time the team forms up" as if that makes any fucking sense. fall the fuck back and attack with your team. I just cant seem to get on teams w people who know how to playh the game, yet the other team, no matter how low of a score actually has fucking ult management and mechanical skill. and healers. wtf.

I only seam to win when the other team is the shitty one. there's no such thing as an even game at this low level.

Floex

same here dude. probably 10 losses and 1 win tn, followed by a similar night yesterday.

At least this game realizes from last season my score is usualyl way better, every win brings me up to where I was like 3 losses ago, even the game doesnt think I deserve this beating.

I'm so low every game is literally em going "gorup up, group up, group up" "fall back you're the only one in there please, what are you doing"

and getting answers like "its good if I get a pick by the time the team forms up" as if that makes any fucking sense. fall the fuck back and attack with your team. I just cant seem to get on teams w people who know how to playh the game, yet the other team, no matter how low of a score actually has fucking ult management and mechanical skill. and healers. wtf.

I only seam to win when the other team is the shitty one. there's no such thing as an even game at this low level.

Seriously, what is going on with this? Finished last season into Platinum, this season I can barely win a game. Play a few mates and we're at a loss trying to figure out why we keep losing. I can't put my finger on it but something has changed.

ElyrionX

Sometimes you get good teammates in solo QP.

On Numbani attack, our team had 5 assault heroes (I was Genji) and 1 tank. I said, "LOL our team comp. GG." Someone then said we don't need a Tracer and a Genji. So I switched to Ana and the Tracer switched at the same time to S76. Game starts. We get slaughtered and can barely get halfway to point A. I was ineffective as Ana because they had a really good Tracer who kept poking and killing me from behind.

I switched to Pharah because we clearly had too little damage at the front. Someone said, "Bad switch. Why Ana?". So I said, "I am ineffective as Ana. Tracer keeps ganking." He didn't respond and then someone else immediately switched into Mercy. Things fell into place and we rolled point A and eventually got point B as well.

Unfortunately, these type of games with communicative and cooperative teammates happen far too rarely.

"Insanely strong"?? No, she can't sorry.
Also what kind of balancing is that if you have to tweak "few other heroes" to make another one strong?
I think whippy might be talking about the tank meta but tbh I think Sombra is probably better WITH the tank meta due to the spread of her gun. It's most effective against circular targets like Zen, Hog, winston etc

NeoRaider

I think whippy might be talking about the tank meta but tbh I think Sombra is probably better WITH the tank meta due to the spread of her gun. It's most effective against circular targets like Zen, Hog, winston etc

Exactly. Tanks are best targets for Sombra because of her spread. Hack D.Va's shield and just shoot. Same with Road, Hog...

DeSo

Banned
I think Symmetra's primary beam damage should revert if the beam loses contact with the target. I don't think the damage should carry over to other targets. Thoughts?

I think Symmetra's primary beam damage should revert if the beam loses contact with the target. I don't think the damage should carry over to other targets. Thoughts?
I think that would effectively kill her tbh. The only positive about that gun is the damage, she's at really high risk using it due to being next to people with zero mobility. If you take that away it's useless.

Antiwhippy

Also what kind of balancing is that if you have to tweak "few other heroes" to make another one strong?

Because emp is honestly kinda broken?

I feel like once the meta isn't an unkillable mountain crashing into each other she would be good at what she does: going for skirmishes to get picks, farm ult, and then snowball with emp.

Snagret

Now that they added the post-game group up button the rythm for solo queue competitive is lose over and over until you match with some randos that have good synergy, team up after your win, then get steamrolled in the next match by a hyper-coordinated party of people who clearly play together often and then watch as your party immediately disbands after a first loss.

Every time.

DeSo

Banned
I think that would effectively kill her tbh. The only positive about that gun is the damage, she's at really high risk using it due to being next to people with zero mobility. If you take that away it's useless.
She would still have the damage, she would just have to maintain contact with the beam. She would have to use some semblence of skill to hold focus on one target.

Musician

I agree with most of this except that I don't even have fun playing her. Her damage sucks, her teleporter is a worse version of Tracer's recall and the only way to reliably use hacking is on medpacks, as trying to hack mid-fight is suicide and even if you flank a straggler, her audio cues of "Been here all along" and "Here I am" just give away her position before you can even begin hacking. If I'm playing DPS and I see a Sombra, I always switch to Reaper and when her audio cue goes off, more often than not, I find her behind me, ready to eat the dual shotguns. Also as someone who mains Zen on Support, I almost always manage to one up the enemy Sombra.

As someone who's been playing pretty much nothing but Sombra in QP for the last couple of weeks (and is currently #208 Sombra in QP according to overbuff, whatever that means. My handle is Gh0ti) I have to say that the usual way to play her with having a health pack, placing your translocator on it then going in from behind enemy lines is a pretty inefficient way of playing her. You simply have too much downtime between attacks and you won't be outputting enough damage.

I get the most success being above enemies. Stealth in, hack a health pack use her TL to get somewhere hard to get to and fire from there. Once people start going for you, stealth, grab your health pack, TL somewhere else and repeat. You can use stealth defensively this way!

Hacking is extremely situational. Most of the time you have better chances to get a kill just shooting them. You shred through tanks if you get headshots. If you're on a hacked large health pack, Winston can't kill you due to his low DPS.

If you can get behind/above rein, hack him. Hack diva if she over extends. Hack mei if she's being a dick on the payload/capture point. Hack mercy if you catch her coming from spawn to Res. Hack tracer if she's fighting someone else, same with reaper.
That's about it...

In team fights, stick with the team, emp at a good time and focus healers. If you get swamped by enemies, throw your TL and stealth while tl-ing. Then get back to it!

Edit: even so I still only have about 47% win rate with her. I do not dare take her into comp, mostly because of people's rage.

Antiwhippy

Alright, finally found a use for teleporter. Shield generator died, I died, then team got wiped, then quickly go setup a teleporter, and then we stopped the cap, and if we didn't well I'm switching off either case.

We stopped it though, so that was nice.

Which is why I think it's alright to go a little kamikaze in certain situations.

edit: ugh eichenwilde 2 times in a row just kill me.

Tonkse

I didn't think I'd struggle as much as I have. Picked up the game as I enjoyed the free weekend awhile back. Some games I do really well and others I can barely get a kill.
My psn is Tonkahh if anyone's down to play

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I think that's going to be common with OW as a whole, though I don't think it's inherently a bad thing. A theme of the game always seemed to be countering other heroes/comps which by design is going to stifle some characters. Like I wouldn't say Pharah is a bad hero but when McCree and Soldier have always been so prominent it hits her potential a lot. A Pharah swap when the comp has no counter and never answers her is devastating.

Metas build off many moving pieces, so characters even without direct changes can rise or fall a lot due to everything around it. I think Roadhog and Reaper are good examples of that, since Reaper's been on the downswing post-Soldier/Dva buff on top of the Ana nano nerf while Roadhog rose.

It can be hard to distinguish when a character is outright bad vs. being stifled though. Like Bastion is just kinda inherently shitty just by the nature of how the game plays out, and Sym pre-rework clearly had loads of fundamental problems of a similar nature.

Antiwhippy

Also speaking of how no chill the matchmaking has been for me.

Top 2 sessions are actually one session instead of 2 sessions.

Like, I've been having a pattern of loss/stagnation followed by big gains the following day, and then vice versa. Yesterday's was the worst, but I'm partly back today.

What is up with the MM, seriously. I don't mind the win streaks but I would like the games to be more consistent.

Pooya

No point rendering frames you cant see (higher than monitor refresh).

Higher fps reduces your input lag by a lot, doesn't matter which display you have.

press ctrl+shift+n and check your SIM value. At 60fps there is like 50-60ms input lag in this game. At 100+fps it goes below 10.

csgo is same deal.

AbaFadi

Banned
Also speaking of how no chill the matchmaking has been for me.

Top 2 sessions are actually one session instead of 2 sessions.

Like, I've been having a pattern of loss/stagnation followed by big gains the following day, and then vice versa. Yesterday's was the worst, but I'm partly back today.

What is up with the MM, seriously. I don't mind the win streaks but I would like the games to be more consistent.

Yeah matchmaking is very streaky this season. Either I win a bunch or lose a bunch

exYle

Huh? No, the person I quoted was talking about their younger nephew, so I chimed in one of my relatives played the game for the first time today as well, only he's older than I am.

I just meant the stereotype of new players insta-locking genji.

Hahaha. Genji is the younger Shimada sibling. That was the joke I was going for.

AbaFadi

Banned
I've learned that many players think they should wait for the enemy team to ult first before using their ults. That's a terrible idea. Most of the time the team that engages and ults first is the one that wins the fight. Try using ults first and go for a quick wipe if possible instead of your team getting wiped first.

ElyrionX

Higher fps reduces your input lag by a lot, doesn't matter which display you have.

press ctrl+shift+n and check your SIM value. At 60fps there is like 50-60ms input lag in this game. At 100+fps it goes below 10.

csgo is same deal.

So I've been doing it wrong by setting the FPS to be capped to my monitor's 60Hz refresh rate?

Think I won 1 out of 6 games today in comp. I don't even know but it honestly felt awful to play. High gold is just so bad. Like really awful. Nobody uses voice comms and the ones that do get pretty toxic from my experience. Just bad teamwork and no common sense at all. The funny thing is the one match we did win was attack Hollywood with no healers and then a full hold. This game can really melt your brain sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but lack of common sense and teamwork can really take a toll.

Top Bottom