• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

I don't see what's wrong with this at all. You can't hook people through cover regardless of what it is. That's how it should've always worked. Roadhog shouldn't be getting picks by using absolute bullshit LOS like "seeing their head" but should be used to get picks when the fight has started and people are out in the open.

The problem with Roadhog mains is that they can't comprehend how ridiculous it is for a tank to instantly get a pick every 6 seconds regardless of what position the opponents are in,

Just yesterday I was hooked through the floor as Genji because a bit of my arm was sticking out. That's fucking ridiculous.

Paltheos

in my experience with the constant self-healing or speed boost I've had lucios survive even a hook + R2 + melee

Honestly I'd rather have Roadhog have only 500 health and make the cooldown on hook like 10 seconds compared to messing with established hook connects

You're doing it wrong then (and that's understandable) but Lucio is a sure-kill. For Lucio, you need to aim lower on his body than on many other heroes because his hurtbox is larger by his abdomen. If you aim for the head, he probably lives. If you aim at his waist, he's dead for sure.

Meccs

I'm still baffled how people like those map designs. I mean having the spawn right next to the last or end of the objective and then it's like throwing bodies at it over and over again. But then people loved Metro in BF4 and Overwatch pretty much feels like that for the most part. Attacking is not fun imho. Probably why you play Attack when it's time to lose again. My last 5 quick plays were attack, 3 of them on the same map. I mean... c'mon! (even the last 4 I did leave at the select screen were Attack... hellloo!?!)

BiggNife

The DVA nerfs are also good, but she probably needs something for the matrix too. Let it be more visible. Let the size decrease on time or whatever. Probably the most annoying character to play against in this meta. I liked McCree a lot in S2, but he is almost unplayable now and get's countered harder by her than Genji by Winston.

Dva is already a lot more vulnerable than she was thanks to the armor nerf. A defense matrix nerf would make her the worst tank in the game by a wide margin.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not the current nerfs were too much or not.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm still baffled how people like those map designs. I mean having the spawn right next to the last or end of the objective and then it's like throwing bodies at it over and over again. But then people loved Metro in BF4 and Overwatch pretty much feels like that for the most part. Attacking is not fun imho. Probably why you play Attack when it's time to lose again. My last 5 quick plays were attack, 3 of them on the same map. I mean... c'mon! (even the last 4 I did leave at the select screen were Attack... hellloo!?!)

It's quickplay, you're gonna have a hard time because no one cares enough to coordinate and finish the choke. That's why I massively enjoy playing comp more.

Meccs

It's quickplay, you're gonna have a hard time because no one cares enough to coordinate and finish the choke. That's why I massively enjoy playing comp more.
This has not much to do with the people playing but the map design in general. If you set a spawn right next to a objective or the end of one (payload) you will have the same mayhem as a result regardless of who is playing.

Chance

My first game on Oasis was a fucking disaster, lol

Lost to an enemy Torb, even

My first two were. Then I pocketed our Pharah as Mercy, had a decent but losing round, instapicked Pharah for my next six games and got two loot boxes hunting enemy Widows and Soldiers and fucking up Rein formations with conc blast.

It was awesome.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Definitely noticing the Ana nerf but I think she's okay. It just means that tanks take a few more seconds to heal up, and it encourages more offensive grenades.

I feel like I'm now an Ana main. Got asked to go Ana, to compliment a Zenyatta, on Hollywood (Attack). Did really well. I feel having the...crosshairs(?) vs a dot etc helps me a lot on unscoped accuracy.

Edit: Just had another match on Hollywood where the last person to pick on defense took Junkrat...leaving us with 1 Tank (they picked like 10secs before fighting began so too late for anyone else to go back) and only changed to D.va when the other team were 10m away from winning. Then in post-game admitted to throwing the match because they thought round 1 went awfully (we got it a shade before B so...not great but not awful).

matches like that drain me.

AbaFadi

Banned
The DVA nerfs are also good, but she probably needs something for the matrix too. Let it be more visible. Let the size decrease on time or whatever. Probably the most annoying character to play against in this meta. I liked McCree a lot in S2, but he is almost unplayable now and get's countered harder by her than Genji by Winston.

These nerfs already place D.Va out of the meta. She certainly does not need any more nerfs. I don't think anyone is going to play her after this update. A 4 second matrix won't justify how fast she will die. Better off picking zarya over her at this point.

I think the Roadhog changes are fine. They might need to tweak the momentum issues but overall I think this will be better. Now they just need to do something about Hanzo's scatter arrow and I'll finally stop yelling "Aw, that's bullshit!" while playing Overwatch.

I'm still gonna yell it anyway.

Also the "I can't hook Rein but Rein can use his special ability on me waaaaaah" whining in that video is not taking into account that Rein's fire strike is a slow moving projectile that only does damage that you can dodge, while Roadhog's hook is a faster moving projectile that can pull you out of position and fuck up your whole day. The entire point of having different heroes is their abilities work differently.

If you're holding down m1 when you hook Lucio is dead. He's probably the easiest one to gib.

Funny, about 50% of the time as Lucio I usually escape from Roadhog. I just boop 'em as soon as I'm out of the hook and can usually get away.

Definitely noticing the Ana nerf but I think she's okay. It just means that tanks take a few more seconds to heal up, and it encourages more offensive grenades.

Sounds good to me - as Ana I've always used the grenade more offensively so the changes might make her fit my playstyle better.

scoobs

So can someone explain the difference between armor, health, and shields? What does changing the split between health and armor mean?

I'm salty as fuck about that D.Va nerf. Back to popping out of mechs immediately. At least make it 300/300 HP and armor.

Yeah, this is what I was expecting. I was complaining about D.Va the other day, but even I know that this is too big a nerf. 50-50 split would have been fine.

So can someone explain the difference between armor, health, and shields? What does changing the split between health and armor mean?

Short and sweet video about Difference between HP/Shields/Armour

Fancolors

Whenever armor takes damage, it reduces the damage by half, but not by more than 5 damage per individual hit. This makes weapons that deal more than 10 damage per hit more effective at damaging armor, because more gets through with each attack. Critical hits double damage before any armor reduction.

Shield works just like regular health, but it regens 30 per second after three seconds.

The D.Va nerf means Soldier can kill her mech in one entire clip now.

I'm biased as I'm a D.Va main but I think her HP should be 300/300. Only 200 armor is going to make her a much softer target.

On the other hand, I'm OK with the changes to her weapon. It seems like it's going to be easier to land shots so that might help with smaller targets.

Meccs

Still haven't found a hero I REALLY love playing :/
I only like Symmetra because she is a true support and I always liked that. I play healer in MMOs but none of the healers in Overwatch are fun to play for me. Ana is cool I guess but I hate snipers.

Anyone want to help me push for Diamond? I'm 2855 atm. Tend to play support (Mercy/Ana/Lucio) and a very suicidal Reinhardt.

BossDarkseid#2901

Edit: Oh, yeah. EU + PC. I'm in a Discord chat so i won't be vocal in game but I'll be on Team Chat/can type etc.

Soldier 76 is going to be an unstoppable God now that D.Va is dead.

This is what I'm afraid of right now. Earlier, D.Va could just get in Soldier's face to disrupt him. She can't do that now.

Still haven't found a hero I REALLY love playing :/
I only like Symmetra because she is a true support and I always liked that. I play healer in MMOs but none of the healers in Overwatch are fun to play for me. Ana is cool I guess but I hate snipers.

I never play Support classes, but Zenyatta is my favourite character in the entire game. In my head canon he's the shot-caller. Shoot Orb of Discord > Order minions to shoot something dead.

I'm biased as I'm a D.Va main but I think her HP should be 300/300. Only 200 armor is going to make her a much softer target.

On the other hand, I'm OK with the changes to her weapon. It seems like it's going to be easier to land shots so that might help with smaller targets.

I think I'm okay with the health change because it'll mean D.Va won't be a necessity in every match anymore. People who played D.Va with her before when she had 500 health should still be good with her regardless. But there will be less people who use her poorly by just running up to the point and standing there and soaking up damage.

Meccs

I never play Support classes, but Zenyatta is my favourite character in the entire game. In my head canon he's the shot-caller. Shoot Orb of Discord > Order minions to shoot something dead.

Yeah, he is cool but I'm having not much success with him yet. I'm just glad no one is complaining about Symmetra's weapon breaking LoS and staying connected to the target.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This has not much to do with the people playing but the map design in general. If you set a spawn right next to a objective or the end of one (payload) you will have the same mayhem as a result regardless of who is playing.

right, attacking is an uphill battle because in order to finish the last push you need to make sure the enemy team dies either altogether or have them trickle in as they respawn. Having someone also watch the spawns will make an attempt to choke them and discourage trickling.

You're likely not gonna notice these nuances in quickplay beause no one is gonna care enough to coordinate. I would argue the spawn is fine. Consider route 66, you spawn closer to the payload on attack but much farther on defense, then near the end the roles are reversed. I think it's balanced.

Jellie

Has Roadhog always been able to one shot Zarya?
No idea but he shouldn't be able to one shot a tank even if it is a 400hp one.

Ana's change suits me since I usually use the grenade more offensively so not really affected too much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't see what's wrong with this at all. You can't hook people through cover regardless of what it is. That's how it should've always worked. Roadhog shouldn't be getting picks by using absolute bullshit LOS like "seeing their head" but should be used to get picks when the fight has started and people are out in the open.

The problem with Roadhog mains is that they can't comprehend how ridiculous it is for a tank to instantly get a pick every 6 seconds regardless of what position the opponents are in,

Just yesterday I was hooked through the floor as Genji because a bit of my arm was sticking out. That's fucking ridiculous.

I think you're looking at him in a way too binary fashion because he's classified as a tank when his kit is effectively like a DPS. Like him getting picks constantly is the entire purpose for being in the game, it's why he's basically gimped all around as a character otherwise.

He's the fattest hitbox in the game, no armor/shields like other tanks, a self sustain and a hook. His gun has a slow as fuck reload, low ammo count, and close range spread is horrendous. His ult is one of the worst in the game. He is still an ult battery even if this effect was lessened due to Ana basically abusing how damage works. But either way the hook is the character the same way something like the shield defines reinhardt. I don't see why it's ridiculous that you getting hit in the arm with the hook as genji pulls you, it recenteres on your body which visually looks weird but you still were getting hit. There were certaintly issues with the way the hook worked(I think it was mainly due to the size of the hitbox) but some stuff like that gif going around of Lucio on Oasis not getting hooked on that initial one where he jumps in a wide open space and breaks the hook at the last second is going to make roadhog straight up terrible.

Plus someone like Ana can still do the same corner yolo shit. Jump a corner and hail mary a sleep dart, or just toss it in the middle of a crowd fighting. That would clip your arm, your head, whatever in any area and that thing has no range to worry about which makes it risk free, either takes you out of the fight or sets you up to be killed and is on an 8 second CD...is that fine for a support by the same logic? And unlike RH her loadout is still crazy strong on top of it.

Sullichin

This is what I'm afraid of right now. Earlier, D.Va could just get in Soldier's face to disrupt him. She can't do that now.

Yep. Zenyatta is the best.

Jellie

I think you're looking at him in a way too binary fashion because he's classified as a tank when his kit is effectively like a DPS. Like him getting picks constantly is the entire purpose for being in the game, it's why he's basically gimped all around as a character otherwise.

He's the fattest hitbox in the game, no armor/shields like other tanks, a self sustain and a hook. His gun has a slow as fuck reload, low ammo count, and close range spread is horrendous. His ult is one of the worst in the game. He is still an ult battery even if this effect was lessened due to Ana basically abusing how damage works. But either way the hook is the character the same way something like the shield defines reinhardt. I don't see why it's ridiculous that you getting hit in the arm with the hook as genji pulls you, it recenteres on your body which visually looks weird but you still were getting hit. There were certaintly issues with the way the hook worked(I think it was mainly due to the size of the hitbox) but some stuff like that gif going around of Lucio on Oasis not getting hooked on that initial one where he jumps in a wide open space and breaks the hook at the last second is going to make roadhog straight up terrible.

Plus someone like Ana can still do the same corner yolo shit. Jump a corner and hail mary a sleep dart, or just toss it in the middle of a crowd fighting. That would clip your arm, your head, whatever in any area and that thing has no range to worry about which makes it risk free, either takes you out of the fight or sets you up to be killed and is on an 8 second CD...is that fine for a support by the same logic? And unlike RH her loadout is still crazy strong on top of it.
With Ana, if you decide to use dart similar to a hook then you risk being unable to deal with flankers with it or the other teams ults. While hog can deal with some ults with the hook some like nanoboosted rein survive while dart is more effective.

Not happy Ana just got a nerf to the healing of her grenade. Completely stopping heals for the other team is still a broken mechanic. Happy with D Va. change because huge amounts of armor on an already HP high hero is not a good idea and only promotes Tanks in the meta, don't think it'll stop her from being my second most used, though. Roadhog is my main and damn I kinda don't like how fast you lose the hook when they jump out of lof. it should have a slightly longer delay of detaching, like half a seconds worth. Otherwise it looks like it how it was suppose to be.

Was REALLY hoping Sombre got something more substantial. They should just outright speed up her uncloaking animations. There is way to much delay on that garbage.

Skii

No idea but he shouldn't be able to one shot a tank even if it is a 400hp one.

Ana's change suits me since I usually use the grenade more offensively so not really affected too much.

Yeah he should only be able to deal 250 with a hook shot imo. One shotting Zarya is absolutely ridiculous and completely defeats the purpose of a tank.

Ana will probably need to be nerfed more lol. If you land a 3 man grenade, that's basically enough reason to push and win a fight. Anti-heal is just so good.

Is it fair that a tank acts like a DPS but has 600HP, gets a free pick every 6 seconds, is a better anti-flanker than McCree as well as benefiting from some extremely questionable physics with his hook? Does it not cross your mind that maybe that is a bit ridiculous and needs to be toned down?

Roadhog's gun is amazing. It one shots any non-tank hero with his right click if you know your range and deals Reaper-like damage at close range.

Hitting someone with an arm slightly jutting out on a high platform is terrible. How is that fair? I can't even see the Roadhog below me from where I'm standing but because he jumps and throws a hook, he can land and drag me through the platform to get the kill. This happens all the time and it's bullshit. Hook should be for when a team fight starts or for punishing someone who's out of position. It should never have been used to peak corners or exploit little spaces between the Reinhardt shield and cover to completely determine a team fight every 6 seconds.

Difference with Ana sleeping you is that you're not immediately dead. If Ana's sleep OHKOed anyone, then it would be the same as hook. All it does is put someone to sleep who if with their team can still be protected by the Reinhardt whilst the hook will take them completely out of position which means they're dead either way. Also, all healers need a way to defend themselves from flankers otherwise it's unbalanced. Every healer has an ability to defend themselves so why shouldn't Ana?

I personally expected for them to increase the CD to maybe 8-9 seconds but it's good to know they are actively trying to fix terrible mechanics as this game is going to have a long life span.

Blu(e)

Has Roadhog always been able to one shot Zarya?
I have never been able to before. But Roadhog's gun can do headshot damage so I can see it happening. It's just I don't think I've ever pulled Zarya as close as this fix has and landed a headshot.

Nimby

Banned
But then when would the changes get implemented? You're talking about balancing in very small increments i feel unless I'm reading it wrong, and at that point who would bother? Most would just rather play the live game rather than be unpaid qa testers. Ptr works because each change is substantial enough to get people to break from the live game, but even then it's apparently not enough.

Like the way you describe it makes it sound like people will alternate between live and ptr fairly regularly and that's not realistic. I'm fairly hardcore into this game but i don't want to do that either.

They've already done this though, adding Pharah buffs and adjusting Torb/Mercy while the PTR was still active. And it doesn't even matter if population is an issue because Blizzard had enough knowledge to know "no falloff" McCree was broken and the changes never even went to PTR. Ana buffs too.

BiggNife

Shield works just like regular health, but it regens 30 per second after three seconds.

The D.Va nerf means Soldier can kill her mech in one entire clip now.
Yeah this is ridiculous. 300/300 makes more sense but I expect the 400/200 nerf to make it to public servers anyway because Blizzard never actually changes anything after it's in ptr.

Really not looking forward to my main being shit for a few months.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
With Ana, if you decide to use dart similar to a hook then you risk being unable to deal with flankers with it or the other teams ults. While hog can deal with some ults with the hook some like nanoboosted rein survive while dart is more effective.

Right, it's basically the strength of it being offset by not having it in a scenario where it can save the team. I do get that there's always a risk in having a crucial CD be up at a bad time so you don't realistically just use it the moment it's ready. Though I think Hook can be similar, you don't always just toss it out when the CD is up. It's nice having a saving grace against someone being dived on or something like a rein charge but you generally play it based on their comp. The tank meta right now is mostly shields being smashed together until they shatter and the hook which isn't nearly as interesting of a use compared to when there's squishier people running around.

Yeah he should only be able to deal 250 with a hook shot imo. One shotting Zarya is absolutely ridiculous and completely defeats the purpose of a tank.

Ana will probably need to be nerfed more lol. If you land a 3 man grenade, that's basically enough reason to push and win a fight. Anti-heal is just so good.

Is it fair that a tank acts like a DPS but has 600HP, gets a free pick every 6 seconds, is a better anti-flanker than McCree as well as benefiting from some extremely questionable physics with his hook? Does it not cross your mind that maybe that is a bit ridiculous and needs to be toned down?

Roadhog's gun is amazing. It one shots any non-tank hero with his right click if you know your range and deals Reaper-like damage at close range.

Hitting someone with an arm slightly jutting out on a high platform is terrible. How is that fair? I can't even see the Roadhog below me from where I'm standing but because he jumps and throws a hook, he can land and drag me through the platform to get the kill. This happens all the time and it's bullshit. Hook should be for when a team fight starts or for punishing someone who's out of position. It should never have been used to peak corners or exploit little spaces between the Reinhardt shield and cover to completely determine a team fight every 6 seconds.

Difference with Ana sleeping you is that you're not immediately dead. If Ana's sleep OHKOed anyone, then it would be the same as hook. All it does is put someone to sleep who if with their team can still be protected by the Reinhardt whilst the hook will take them completely out of position which means they're dead either way. Also, all healers need a way to defend themselves from flankers otherwise it's unbalanced. Every healer has an ability to defend themselves so why shouldn't Ana?

I personally expected for them to increase the CD to maybe 8-9 seconds but it's good to know they are actively trying to fix terrible mechanics as this game is going to have a long life span.

Well, said DPS offsets the HP by being a gigantic bullseye. But yeah, again, I think that's fair. Roadhog has always been a more situtiational pick and it's not like much has changed, if his hook was always so broken strong why wasn't he instant locked before Ana hit the meta? I think you have fundamental issues with roadhog existing as a character which is clouding how you're looking at his balance. His gun is certainly not amazing at all, his right click can be very strong when you get the ranges down but it still suffers massive drop off beyond that and his close shot has a MASSIVE spread which is on a totally different stratosphere compared to reaper unless they're literally kissing your face. He's better at dealing with flankers compared to McCree...but McCree also has an actual gun and is doing way more when he has CDs up, him and Soldier can be used by the merits of their primary alone, Hog is basically on shield pepper duty otherwise. The problem with the jumping hook shots on highground is the huge vertical hitbox on the hook, I would be totally fine with them shrinking that since those are the most egregious examples of hooking outside of sight just because you figure someone is in position up there.

Regarding healers having a defense...compare that to Mercy's shitty pistol, or Lucio's boop. Ana can defend herself in the sense that potentially any character in the game is getting dropped, and she already had floor nades for that. Getting hit with a 5 second stun when you're going after Ana is basically guaranteed death. But I think that's fine, I like when a game is full of strong abilities.

I think there's a happy medium between hook 1.0 and 2.0 they can strive for. Whether that also involves upping the CD and shrinking the hitbox I dunno, but I'd be fine with any of that. But the current one is looking way too punishing for a character that really isn't usable on paper without hook being good. It's also dumb as hell that he can still hook and 180 people off ledges when Blizz specifically said that would be impossible, lol.

Jellie

Right, it's basically the strength of it being offset by not having it in a scenario where it can save the team. I do get that there's always a risk in having a crucial CD be up at a bad time so you don't realistically just use it the moment it's ready. Though I think Hook can be similar, you don't always just toss it out when the CD is up. It's nice having a saving grace against someone being dived on or something like a rein charge but you generally play it based on their comp. The tank meta right now is mostly shields being smashed together until they shatter and the hook which isn't nearly as interesting of a use compared to when there's squishier people running around.

Well, said DPS offsets the HP by being a gigantic bullseye. But yeah, again, I think that's fair. Roadhog has always been a more situtiational pick and it's not like much has changed, if his hook was always so broken strong why wasn't he instant locked before Ana hit the meta? I think you have fundamental issues with roadhog existing as a character which is clouding how you're looking at his balance. His gun is certainly not amazing at all, his right click can be very strong when you get the ranges down but it still suffers massive drop off beyond that and his close shot has a MASSIVE spread which is on a totally different stratosphere compared to reaper unless they're literally kissing your face. He's better at dealing with flankers compared to McCree...but McCree also has an actual gun and is doing way more when he has CDs up, him and Soldier can be used by the merits of their primary alone, Hog is basically on shield pepper duty otherwise. The problem with the jumping hook shots on highground is the huge vertical hitbox on the hook, I would be totally fine with them shrinking that since those are the most egregious examples of hooking outside of sight just because you figure someone is in position up there.

Regarding healers having a defense...compare that to Mercy's shitty pistol, or Lucio's boop. Ana can defend herself in the sense that potentially any character in the game is getting dropped, and she already had floor nades for that. Getting hit with a 5 second stun when you're going after Ana is basically guaranteed death. But I think that's fine, I like when a game is full of strong abilities.

I think there's a happy medium between hook 1.0 and 2.0 they can strive for. Whether that also involves upping the CD and shrinking the hitbox I dunno, but I'd be fine with any of that. But the current one is looking way too punishing for a character that really isn't usable on paper without hook being good. It's also dumb as hell that he can still hook and 180 people off ledges when Blizz specifically said that would be impossible, lol.
I've always heard it's best to use the hook as soon as it's off CD since the cool down is so short and the reward so good. Reinhardt's shield only lasts like 5 seconds against roadhog dva and soldier plus it makes fire strike risky of hook is off CD so he is still effective against a Reinhardt.

The reason why he wasn't in the meta before but is now is due to changes in ults. He's no longer a massive ult battery and when ults cost longer to charge a 6 second CD instant kill becomes more valuable. Plus his damage to Reinhardt's shield is useful.

Top Bottom