• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Gorillaz

Yep, the kids are definitely running wild in OW comp tonight. I went over to QP and had some amazing games.

Comp has been slowly getting worse then Quick Play, I saw this coming during the end of season 1 early season 2. You can actually feel the shift and vibe in matches during the inbetween break of seasons when everyone falls back to QP.

Owzers

I decided to save all my comp winning until after Lik abandoned us. Early overwatch session: why do I play this game...

Finally won a few games towards the end of the night with Gaf people and a couple stayers.

Ramirez

So, I dunno if it's in my head, but I switched 76's cursor to green and the circle like I read in here and over the past 4 games with him, I went like 200-10. o_O Climbed all the way back from 3000 to 3600! Though, I was getting like 50 a win at some points, lol.

I decided to save all my comp winning until after Lik abandoned us. Early overwatch session: why do I play this game...

Finally won a few games towards the end of the night with Gaf people and a couple stayers.

It was good to finally see the victory screen again.

So, I dunno if it's in my head, but I switched 76's cursor to green and the circle like I read in here and over the past 4 games with him, I went like 200-10. o_O Climbed all the way back from 3000 to 3600! Though, I was getting like 50 a win at some points, lol.

I think it was Kor that mentioned that when your rank drops because you were inactive you gain a lot more SR than usual when you start playing again.

ricelord

Didn't they say they did the exact opposite this season?

nope, there only a few people who placed where they had left off last season, there were alot of people who didnt hit diamond rank but was if they in plat rank, they had a chance to be placed in diamond or even master if they somehow did good in their placement matches.

Ramirez

It was good to finally see the victory screen again.

I think it was Kor that mentioned that when your rank drops because you were inactive you gain a lot more SR than usual when you start playing again.

It's silly anyways, the only rank that should decay is top 500. The game still matches you with the people you were ranked at before you stopped, lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
we probably need another healer so the sole healer doesn't get constantly chased
oh no or you can just play tracer. i mean we die in seconds without taking the point but I'm sure Tracer will fix that. I mean we already have a permanent Genji against a tank heavy team but I'm sure two flankers will fix our problem.

Blues1990

After struggling for a couple of hours to find a match on the PTR, I was lucky enough to get a couple of hours worth. Here are my impressions on the changes:

-D.Va's MEKA feels pretty fragile now with the Armour/HP switch and debuff to her damage output. Both of these changes feel excessive, as coupled with her massive hit box, it now affect's D.Va's survivability & it makes her a worse choice than most tanks now. It would be worth testing to give D.Va's MEKA a split between 300 HP/300 Armour.

-The nerf to Ana's Biotic Grenade is much needed. However, I do wish there was a fix to the clipping hitbox of the 'nade, as it often explodes behind me if someone just happens to be anywhere close to my FOV.

-I love Roadhog, but this update essentially removed his hook usability. It makes it problematic to land the hook on mobile targets (as it breaks off), and you're unable to reel them in when they move from Roadhog's LOS. So unless your target is standing still in the middle of a clearing, they need to be not paying attention, because they can just jump towards cover (like a street lamp or a taxi car) and be fine.

I can't find any word from Blizzard but awesome if true.

We did it fam

Now about that Biotic Grenade. Maybe they can find it in their hearts to change it to only reduce effectiveness of healing instead of stopping healing altogether.

-D.Va's MEKA feels pretty fragile now with the Armour/HP switch and debuff to her damage output. Both of these changes feel excessive, as coupled with her massive hit box, it now affect's D.Va's survivability & it makes her a worse choice than most tanks now. It would be worth testing to give D.Va's MEKA a split between 300 HP/300 Armour.

Yeah, I suggested as much yesterday. They nerfed her too hard and this is coming from someone who was whining about her huge armour pool a few days back.

The placement matches don't make sense. If you are brand new to the game you should automatically start in bronze. Why should people in higher ranks still have to deal with complete newbies who might have good aim, but have no concept of the game and strategies.

A better system would be to have the placement matches act differently depending on your experience. If you have less than a certain amount of hours in comp, you automatically start at bronze and have to work your way up. You can still get placed on different skill ratings within bronze, but there is a cap. The only way you can get placed into a higher level straight out of placement is if you've already played Comp mode before and have moved up the ranks.

This at least ensures that people in higher ranks know what they are doing.

ISOM

The placement matches don't make sense. If you are brand new to the game you should automatically start in bronze. Why should people in higher ranks still have to deal with complete newbies who might have good aim, but have no concept of the game and strategies.

A better system would be to have the placement matches act differently depending on your experience. If you have less than a certain amount of hours in comp, you automatically start at bronze and have to work your way up. You can still get placed on different skill ratings within bronze, but there is a cap. The only way you can get placed into a higher level straight out of placement is if you've already played Comp mode before and have moved up the ranks.

I've thought this to myself recently. I dread getting grouped with newbies who just hit Diamond rank because you can tell and then you can also tell you're going to lose the match. I want Blizzard to like you said group newbies with newbies, I shouldn't have to play with someone who has just played 20 hours.

Ocho

People at the lower ranks would have a bad time playing against the "new" players that can be experienced in fps.

Had a fun match on Eichenwalde in SQ. Defense of the Payload went ok, then poorly. We ended up stopping them on the corner of the castle so not far from the end. On Attack we did well, my Biotic Grenade helped nulify a Mercy revive + Zenyatta Ultimate and a nano boosted Zarya at max charge got a team kill at the end.

Anyway, the nice thing is when people communicate, obviously. But also when people learn and are willing to. At the start of the match I picked Ana, and the rest of the team went with a triple tank setup and Pharah. I asked the last person to be Lucio if they were going to support because Ana + Lucio synergize very well.

They said sure, but asked how they synergize. I mentioned that Biotic Grenade boosts healing atm by 100% (50% in nerf?) and that when you combine it with Lucio's Healing being AoE + LoS (?) it can help teams that group up then spread out, like the choke point on Eichenwalde at the start. At the end of our Attack we were coming round to the corner and the enemy team were mostly dead...Mercy swoops in for a 4 man revive which usually would have me going "Oh, fuck" unless we were loaded up with Ults...

Zarya uses Graviton Surge to group them all up, I Biotic Grenade everyone (we were that close together, it was a clusterfuck) and Lucio heals and I nano boost Zarya who basically kills them all with a few RMB. Fun match.

Mendrox

Urgh fuck the Dva nerf. Now she is too weak again.

Just change it back and give her the old 500 back and we are golden. Now you get rekt immediately like before. -_-

NeoRaider

Imo. they need to nerf Pharah back to what she used to be. Only few heroes can counter her now.
Also Hanzo spammers can be huge pain in the ass.

I-hate-u

Imo. they need to nerf Pharah back to what she used to be. Only few heroes can counter her now.
Also Hanzo spammers can be huge pain in the ass.

Soldier and McCree are both great characters and can still keep her in check easily.

Not to mention Zen's discord, and Ana's sniping.

Since the update, I've played with Syms who used Teles instead of shield sometimes and they were appreciated. I think it depends on the situation sometimes.

If your team is playing triple tank, or if there are other slow characters like junkrat, teleporter can definitely be the better choice sometimes

So I just watched a video where Mei's VA explains how the "Sorry Sorry Sorry" line was basically what she was saying to the recording studio people because she was struggling to give them an apologetic tone that they were looking for during the actual recording. They recorded her IRL apology and put it in the game.

If your team is playing triple tank, or if there are other slow characters like junkrat, teleporter can definitely be the better choice sometimes

I play Symmetra very rarely, but when I do, then on the first point I almost always use a Teleporter. I only put up the Shield Generator on the second point. Maybe I'm playing her wrong but she's one of those characters I don't play a lot. Is this how people usually play Sym?

LiK

So I just watched a video where Mei's VA explains how the "Sorry Sorry Sorry" line was basically what she was saying to the recording studio people because she was struggling to give them an apologetic tone that they were looking for during the actual recording. They recorded her IRL apology and put it in the game.

Makes that line even cuter now.

Danj

Does anyone else think they should use a different colour than red when displaying a "DRAW" at the end of a competitive match? It makes it still kinda feel like a defeat when you see that red swirl coming across the screen.

Does anyone else think they should use a different colour than red when displaying a "DRAW" at the end of a competitive match? It makes it still kinda feel like a defeat when you see that red swirl coming across the screen.

well you wasted 20 minutes and got nothing to show for it so it does feel kind of like a defeat to me...

Maybe a stupid question but do win streaks carry across sessions? So this morning I played, won 2 matches and quit. If I went on later and won would it be like a 3rd win? I'd imagine so but...

maomaoIYP

I've only played 3 comp matches in a week.
2 out of 3 matches were diamonds and plats versus master and above 6 stack.
I just came out of a game where my side was 4 solo queue and a dual queue versus a 6 stack of GMs and top 500 players. I'm seriously so sick of this shit.
SR difference was 600.

The Mei thing, is it from this video? She doesn't (or rather, isn't given time to) elaborate on whether that's the case.

Worth a watch, in any case. It's oddly thrilling to see the VOs performing some lines.

The flip side of this (I'm guessing) is that losing streaks also carry across sessions :(

Yep, true.

Last night I loss 3 in a row and every match I thought "Na, I should just call it a night and go to bed"...but no. I seem to plateau in the early/mid 2900s then go on a losing streak but with a 2 match win streak and being on 2887 SR...I should need like 3 more wins to hit 3000? Maybe 4. Easy *sweats nervously*

Probably an exaggeration borne out of frustration but solo queue feels fucking unplayable on PS4. Nobody seems to know what they're doing. Getting steamrolled pretty much every game now.

Top Bottom