• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Watching pros play Overwatch isn't really the most exhilarating thing. I mean, sometimes there's some cool stuff but the skill ceiling is fairly lower on this game than say, Dota or Team Fortress 2. Oh man, that guy is so accurate as McCree...? Those guys sure are pressing their Qs...?

Eh, that's selling it a bit short. I kinda agree for the previous meta where it's mostly who can rush team fight better, but there's a lot more positional and situational awareness stuff in this meta. Even the boosted reapercopter got figured out near the end, though there's still too much investment in stopping it compared to what it can do.

It's particularly fun to see people get punished with mei walls.

How much money do streamers make...?
Well, subs are $5, so you can get a general idea by how many subs they have. That's not even counting re-subs or donations.

But if your stream is popular and you stream as much as MoonMoon? The money be rolling in.

Then take his stuff and double it, and you have Seagulls stream.

ISOM

I heard Seagull say he could probably earn $100,000+ if he streamed regularly but the proscene is too important to him. I'm guessing Moonmoon makes about that much yearly.

AngryMoth

Moonmoon jokes about making more than doctors sometimes. Think he said he has about 3000 subs. With that plus donations, he's definitely doing well for himself

I think the biggest problem with competitive (especially solo queue) is that at every level pretty much every game, you are locked into your role in the first 30 seconds. Even if you can switch characters, you have to switch from DPS to DPS, healer to healer, etc. It is incredibly rare for two people to just say 'alright *tank* isn't working for me, healer you want to swap?' If Roadhog isn't working you still have to play Zarya, Reinhardt, etc. or screw up the entire comp, because you can't trust that someone is going to take your vacated spot.

I love Zen, and can have great games with him. But he isn't the carry that other characters are. If I have gold damage, eliminations, healing, objective time, and we still aren't winning then the DPS is clearly not doing their job well at all and them going healer and me DPS would be way better for the team. But I can't just swap off the support, it's now my role for the whole game.

I don't like fighting for the two DPS slots, so I usually wait unless it's KOTH, so I almost never play them. But when someone is playing really well, or not well at all it'd be nice if everyone just gave up their pride and did what was best for the team. A subpar Lucio can help the team a hell of a lot more than a subpar Genji.

Anne

Take it from me, going pro in any game that's not big 3 is a huge risk and timesink that is going to eat up your life. It's an unfortunate fact of esports. Moonmoon is probably happy being a streamer, and he can keep a lot more things open that way than by actually competing.

He is making more money on a more stable system with a lighter lifestyle on top of it. Why give up that to go pro if you don't seriously love competing and have the drive to make it?

I think the biggest problem with competitive (especially solo queue) is that at every level pretty much every game, you are locked into your role in the first 30 seconds. Even if you can switch characters, you have to switch from DPS to DPS, healer to healer, etc. It is incredibly rare for two people to just say 'alright *tank* isn't working for me, healer you want to swap?' If Roadhog isn't working you still have to play Zarya, Reinhardt, etc. or screw up the entire comp, because you can't trust that someone is going to take your vacated spot.

I love Zen, and can have great games with him. But he isn't the carry that other characters are. If I have gold damage, eliminations, healing, objective time, and we still aren't winning then the DPS is clearly not doing their job well at all and them going healer and me DPS would be way better for the team. But I can't just swap off the support, it's now my role for the whole game.

I don't like fighting for the two DPS slots, so I usually wait unless it's KOTH, so I almost never play them. But when someone is playing really well, or not well at all it'd be nice if everyone just gave up their pride and did what was best for the team. A subpar Lucio can help the team a hell of a lot more than a subpar Genji.

Well said.
I mostly solo q comp, lately I've jus been asking for someone to switch roles when I'm off.
It's about 50/50 with people actually swapping. Also, I noticed if no has a mic...Jus saying somethin like, hey wuts good team, will get people on their mic. On ps4 anyway.

xaosslug

super fun playing w/ a full-plat, wannabe 'pro' team that gets all constipated because someone doesn't have a mic... while y'all convene over whether or not to kick me I'll do you a favour and just bounce, yo.
rolleyes0jsju.gif

exYle

Well, subs are $5, so you can get a general idea by how many subs they have. That's not even counting re-subs or donations.

But if your stream is popular and you stream as much as MoonMoon? The money be rolling in.

Then take his stuff and double it, and you have Seagulls stream.

What are Twitch subs anyway? Never understood the concept

KarmaCow

What are Twitch subs anyway? Never understood the concept

It's pretty much a tip jar. You pay $5 a month, half goes to Twitch, half goes to the streamer. You get an icon next to your name as well some emotes that the streamer has put up to use in chat. The streamer can also filter by people who have subscribed to give them extra perks like access to a discord server or the ability to limit chat to only subscribers.

I-hate-u

Take it from me, going pro in any game that's not big 3 is a huge risk and timesink that is going to eat up your life. It's an unfortunate fact of esports. Moonmoon is probably happy being a streamer, and he can keep a lot more things open that way than by actually competing.

He is making more money on a more stable system with a lighter lifestyle on top of it. Why give up that to go pro if you don't seriously love competing and have the drive to make it?

The bet is always that OW gets huge, right? If it does, then the upside is huge and if it doesn't, you still a successful streamer.

komaruR

well there's other streamer that get 20$+ and even 100$ in donation. so far in seagull's stream, he only gets like 1-3$ donations. don't think he's really rolling in money.

Antiwhippy

Been watching some reviews of the OW open, and it kinda echoes what I'm thinking: Teams like reunited and envy are trying to play into the meta too hard instead of what they're comfortable with, and it's why they lost.

Which I think is kinda a good indication that the balance is moving to a good direction I feel, still lots of work to be done and one change could fuck everything up even worse, so who knows really.

Like taimou kept sticking to the roadhog, and he did play an insane roadhog, but whenever he switched to mccree he had the biggest impact.

Same thing with kyb.

Been watching some reviews of the OW open, and it kinda echoes what I'm thinking: Teams like reunited and envy are trying to play into the meta too hard instead of what they're comfortable with, and it's why they lost.

Which I think is kinda a good indication that the balance is moving to a good direction I feel, still lots of work to be done and one change could fuck everything up even worse, so who knows really.

Like taimou kept sticking to the roadhog, and he's a did play an insane roadhog, but whenever he switched to mccree he had the biggest impact.

Same thing with kyb.

Yup, that much I agree with. Even pro players have hero preferences and a team should utilize those preferences as the player would know the finer nuances with their preferred characters. Sure following say the 3/3 meta is powerfull, but a pro playing their best player on a specific role designed to counter said 3/3 can potentially be more dangerous.

MastAndo

I'm admittedly a pretty low level/inexperienced compared to others here (low 2000's, dropped 150 or so points since starting the season), and I wish this is the biggest problem I've seen in solo queue. The bigger problem I'm noticing is the concept of roles is often neglected entirely. I've started plenty of matches where the other 5 guys are ready to go and there isn't a tank or healer in sight. It's become pretty obvious to me before a match even starts that we're likely to get dominated or when we'll have a fighting chance, just based on teammates who don't care to grasp the concept of team composition or not.

Antiwhippy

I even feel like the OW open showed that 3/3, 3/2/1 really, isn't the be all end all comp.

Like, NiP plays the 3/2/1 and 4/2 comp incredibly well, but that's because they've been playing that comp pretty much close to when ana came out even when she wasn't as in vogue and it's actually what they prefer to play, so they are playing comfort roles really.

KarmaCow

Just had 92 assists with Zen.
51 offense
41 defense

To go with 50 Elims, 17k healing and 25k damage.

That game was fucking fun

Landing multiple headshots in a row as Zen and watching people just melt is up there with things like declaring aerial dominance as Pharah by shooting down the enemy Pharah. So satisfying.

Anne

The bet is always that OW gets huge, right? If it does, then the upside is huge and if it doesn't, you still a successful streamer.

Game has to get big enough and stay big long enough

You have to be good enough to not get dropped

You have to be in the right place in the right time and know the right people to get money

You have to be able to maintain the 8-10 hours a day schedule and not go insane or get depressed.

You have to think about what to do when this whole thing ends if you're not set for life basically.

It's also very volatile and unsafe. There are people actively trying to make it less risky and give players protections and things worth playing for short term but it's pretty nasty right now. There are reasons I'm a writer and in content creation and not pushing my skills anymore.

PatjuhR

So on the my hunt for my trophies I'm now arrived at Reaper. Turns out after I've played some more games with him I really like him. So much damage.

For the trophy, I heard that if I hit 3 different enemies with one clip and than finish them off with my ult it will pop?

Mutombo

I'm admittedly a pretty low level/inexperienced compared to others here (low 2000's, dropped 150 or so points since starting the season), and I wish this is the biggest problem I've seen in solo queue. The bigger problem I'm noticing is the concept of roles is often neglected entirely. I've started plenty of matches where the other 5 guys are ready to go and there isn't a tank or healer in sight. It's become pretty obvious to me before a match even starts that we're likely to get dominated or when we'll have a fighting chance, just based on teammates who don't care to grasp the concept of team composition or not.

This is the truth. But the other guy was right as well. Team composition is everything. And the big majority never changes once they picked their pick.

Sometimes they do change alongside with you, and you end up countering their team and winning, because the other team has the same exact problem as well and they don't counter your counter. You can only lead by example, I suppose.

So this Friday I was at around 2150 SR, today Sunday I'm at 1792 SR.

Thank you solo queue.

Fuck this game.

Fuck solo queue. Too many trolls.

"Hey guys we need a second tank!"
*picks widow*

"Hey guys we need a second healer"
*picks hanzo*

I have reached the point that whenever I see someone pick a shitty hero, I pick a shitty hero as well.

WhyMe6

Finally on the road to Diamond with 2802 thanks to some great matches a couple days ago with UltimaPooh and some lucky solo queuing today (as well as some damn tight matches). The best thing is, after gaining ~50 rank or so for each win, I finally had a loss and it was only -30. Pls Diamond.

Finally on the road to Diamond with 2802 thanks to some great matches a couple days ago with UltimaPooh and some lucky solo queuing today (as well as some damn tight matches). The best thing is, after gaining ~50 rank or so for each win, I finally had a loss and it was only -30. Pls Diamond.

From 2800 it is so hard to reach 3000. Good luck!

finalflame

I love the surge of Junkrat players. Please defend your elim and damage medals while I tear up your team as Pharah. <3

I'm not sure where this phenomenon came from, and it's really annoying. Harbleu did play a bitchin' Junkrat on Hanamura today, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've always seen Junkrat being popular since launch.

He's like the average Hanzo spammer except he's even easier to excel at that.

PatjuhR

I hate every time I get killed by a Junkrat.

I don't like being killed by somebody who just has to aim in my general direction to kill me. I don't like walking into a steel trap with a mine next to it. I don't like a rip-tire blowing of somewhere around me. And I don't like killing myself by walking around the place where one just died.

finalflame

Moonmoon jokes about making more than doctors sometimes. Think he said he has about 3000 subs. With that plus donations, he's definitely doing well for himself

He jokes about that because someone came into chat once, many moons ago, and said "wtf you make more money than doctors steaming a video game". So it became an inside joke.

Moon, like most steamers, never talks about money because it's tacky as hell. But he's clearly doing well, and it's not hard to estimate he's bringing in about ~15k/mo before taxes.

Played a comp 5 stack last night with some gafers and it was awesome fun. Both my mains (zarya / Zen) where already picked so i went with Reinhardt to fill in the gaps. Ive not played much with him the season and the games i have didn't go so well. However with good coordination and the awesome supports on our team he plays like an absolute monster. I ended up finishing our first game with 3 golds and a silver. Awesome fun!

DevilDog

I hate every time I get killed by a Junkrat.

I don't like being killed by somebody who just has to aim in my general direction to kill me. I don't like walking into a steel trap with a mine next to it. I don't like a rip-tire blowing of somewhere around me. And I don't like killing myself by walking around the place where one just died.

Yeah junkrat is the epitomy of cancer, one of the worst heroes in the game.

It's like someone at Blizzard said, what are the worst design mistakes people have done in FPS, then junkrat was born.

I'm surprised he doesn't have last stand and grenade launchers.

finalflame

Hearing "Junkrat" and "main" in the same sentence triggers my PTSD. Every junkrat main I come across thinks they're the special snowflake that's going to get that HIGH OCTANE SEXTUPLE KILL RIP-TIRE and calls out their damage gold even though their DPS isn't consisnt enough to close down elims, and their RIP-tire barely ever picks off more than 1 person.

"TRUST", "IF ITS NOT WORKING I'LL SWITCH", "IM GOOD AT HIM".

I really hate this junkrat popularity lately. It's cancer.

Antiwhippy

Had a junkrat literally quit comp mid match because we ask if he can switch to a character that isn't getting countered hard by pharah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom