• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck solo queue. Too many trolls.

"Hey guys we need a second tank!"
*picks widow*

"Hey guys we need a second healer"
*picks hanzo*

I have reached the point that whenever I see someone pick a shitty hero, I pick a shitty hero as well.
Well if you're gonna be a troll and pick shitty heroes, then don't complain about other people picking shitty heroes.

It's this mentality that loses games before they even start.

DevilDog

Well if you're gonna be a troll and pick shitty heroes, then don't complain about other people picking shitty heroes.

It's this mentality that loses games before they even start.
Preach it. I had a guy on my team who suicided from the spawn because we only had 1 healer. Even when the team got better picks he still wouldn't stop.

I play pharah and soldier very well so yes I know. Of course my example is exaggerated but all I want to say is that a good junkrat takes a lot of skill. Once you reach a certain level it's not just spamming grenades anymore.

What do you mean very well? What rank are you and what platform are you on?
From my experience with FPS in general, soldier is pretty much a infinite skill cap hero much like Mcree, he might get a few lucky shots here and there but they don't count for much.

Are we comparing slow projectile heroes against hitscan heroes? Projectiles are pretty much luck outside of a short distance, unelss the enemy is stupid and running in straight lines. Hitscan doesn't get as lucky, he will hit his shots because he is skilled and deserve to hit them.
And playing soldier the best way you can means bursting for the head, which throws the spamming argument out the window.
As for pharah, yes she might do some good splash damage that doesn't require much aim, but she gets shot down pretty easily, and usually the pharah will die before she can finish off the target, unless she is good with her aim and directs.

Now I'm in the mood to play soldier.

Junkrat is so good to defend the last point in Eichenwalde. I don't really play with him that much, but I used him there yesterday just to try something new and I had so much fun. Always spamming the payload and throwing my bombs and then seeing the others players flying around lol. It's also very hard to spot the traps there too since it's kinda of dark.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People who straight up refuse play to the team composition so they can play their main despite it not working don't deserve to get carried to a win by 5 others.

Azoor

People who straight up refuse play to the team composition so they can play their main despite it not working don't deserve to get carried to a win by 5 others.

Report them, some even actually got banned for that from what I heard from the Battle net forum.

LiK

Sorry I haven't been around. Been stuck in the Destiny grinding loop. Been watching some OW news on YouTube and it appears we might get Halloween stuff?

Conversely, people who throw because the team isn't playing a team comp they think is "correct" don't deserve to win at all.

Report them, some even actually got banned for that from what I heard from the Battle net forum.

Reporting people for not playing healer/tank/whatever is the dumbest shit I've heard in this thread in a long time.

Ahh, I was wondering where Lik was with all of this Junkrat hate going around.

Destiny. The answer is always Destiny. My friendslist is all Destiny.
I'm just sad that I don't think I have the time to put in to make the jump from 300ish Light Level to end game ready.

Azoor

Conversely, people who throw because the team isn't playing a team comp they think is "correct" don't deserve to win at all.

Reporting people for not playing healer/tank/whatever is the dumbest shit I've heard in this thread in a long time.

Really ? I've seen it all the time in the game.

Team composition is very important of course, but I rather have the people playing their "mains". I've seen people picking characters just because someone started telling others what to pick and as soon as the match starts things turn to shit just because they don't have a clue how to play those characters. You have a Lucio that doesn't change to heal and go straight to the front line, same with the Zenyatta that acts like a tank, Reinhardt that constantly overextend, Genji that doesn't leave the ground, etc...

And then you have those situations when you actually had a great team composition and then a dude starts saying to pick Junkrat on attack on a really "wide" map, and our DPS actually changes to that... pls just play what you want to play and know how to.

Seriously, that doesn't make any sense.

You realize this post is self-defeating, right?

If your team comp is suboptimal, and your teammates in the comp queue won't change, you have two choices:

1) Give up and throw the game.

2) Play your heart out anyway and hope for the best.

How am I being self-defeating?

Really ? I've seen it all the time in the game.

If they won't switch, you switch. It's really as simple as that. I get that it gets frustrating sometimes, but actually reporting people to Blizzard because they lost the "race to lock in your favorite role" is just dumb.

And then you have those situations when you actually had a great team composition and then a dude starts saying to pick Junkrat on attack on a really "wide" map, and our DPS actually changes to that... pls just play what you want to play and know how to.

Oh great, now I'm tilted again thinking about a match from last week.

Temple of Anubis. We've got a great team comp and get a good attack through - both points capped. On defense, our Reinhardt starts loudly getting onto us for not having a Bastion. "You have to have a Bastion to hold point A" he shouts. Thankfully, our team doesn't listen to him. We hold until overtime, but sadly we do lose point A and unfortunately get rolled over on B - because he's too busy yelling at us on voice that we lose A because we don't have a Bastion. So when the second set of rounds comes up, our Reaper switches to Bastion, and of course we get destroyed.

Seriously. I've never heard someone so adamant that you have to have a Bastion, to the point where he completely ruined what had been great team chemistry up until that point. It was so tilting.

LiK

Ahh, I was wondering where Lik was with all of this Junkrat hate going around.

Destiny. The answer is always Destiny. My friendslist is all Destiny.
I'm just sad that I don't think I have the time to put in to make the jump from 300ish Light Level to end game ready.

Junkrat hate is always around. I just need to ignore it now, lol

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I've seen Azoor's suggestions for new skins and got me wondering, will Sombra have less skins than everybody else when she is introduced ?

LiK

I've seen Azoor's suggestions for new skins and got me wondering, will Sombra have less skins than everybody else when she is introduced ?

if she's like Ana then yes. Gotta keep people wanting to get coins for skins. Rein didn't get a new skin until new map came out.

PatjuhR

I don't know. I understand that you have to switch, because otherwise you will lose the match by default, but if you are the one that switches all the time and they keep playing their hero they never learn and they might even win games and go up in ranking.

I always switch to support or tank, but a part of me doesn't want to reward them for their behavior. If we all do that and they lose their games because they don't have enough supports or tanks they will be in low ranking soon enough. Where they belong.

Am I the only one who thinks Widowmaker's buff is absolutely stupid?

The problem back when she was overpowered, was that she would be jumping around quickscoping people, to stop her from doing that they reduced her damage to the point where she can't kill people quickly, and now they are giving her a better way to quickscope???

Why does a Torbjorn out dps a full charge widowmaker at max range, or a Zenyatta, or a freaking Dva with her pistol? The problem with widow is not her scope speed, it's the fact she can't freaking kill anyone unless you consistently headshot.

Hit Mercy or Lucio with a body shot? 120 damage, next shot in 1.4 seconds but oh wait now they are hiding behind an object being healed, so my shot did basically nothing.

Her DPS is simply not high enough unless you're constantly getting headshots, which is not reasonable.

Blizzard turned this character into a joke.

Temple of Anubis. We've got a great team comp and get a good attack through - both points capped. On defense, our Reinhardt starts loudly getting onto us for not having a Bastion. "You have to have a Bastion to hold point A" he shouts. Thankfully, our team doesn't listen to him. We hold until overtime, but sadly we do lose point A and unfortunately get rolled over on B - because he's too busy yelling at us on voice that we lose A because we don't have a Bastion. So when the second set of rounds comes up, our Reaper switches to Bastion, and of course we get destroyed.

Seriously. I've never heard someone so adamant that you have to have a Bastion, to the point where he completely ruined what had been great team chemistry up until that point. It was so tilting.

Oh, you have to feel sorry for him, he just wanted to use his big shield to cover Bastion while ignoring the other teammates :'(

I don't dislike Bastion, and actually play with him a few times on attack at some specific occasions, but if your team strategy revolves around him you will most likely lose, badly.

A huge problem is people queuing up with the wrong mentality in mind:

- "I'm playing in a league lower than I should or I deserve to be higher ranked"
- "I'm the better player but if we lose it is my teams fault"
- "We are going to lose if we don't play the meta"
- "If my team doesn't perform great we are going to lose"
- "I just want to gain points"
- "If hanzo/genji/junkrat doesn't switch we are going to lose"

When you should be playing with the following mentality:

- "I should only win if I outperform everyone else"
- "I will try my hardest and play well, if I make better decisions / perform gradually better than I am happy, even if we lose this game"
- "My goal is to become better or learn something every game"

You should aim to try and hardcarry every game, from no matter what role. I have seen mercy players carry games. I have seen reinhardt players single-handedly destroy teams.

Focus on individual performance and also try to improve your own teamwork skills. Example: If your own Rein does not communicate and keeps going in alone and dying, instead of flaming him for doing these things, try and communicate to your team to wait for his respawn and go with him. I have won a game that looked really bad by doing exactly this.

TRY AND IMPROVE EVERY GAME. I cant emphasis this enough. Go in and try to make plays, learn from your mistakes, try to identify your own shortcomings and improve on them. It is really important to think on this and reflect. Spend time in the training map and work on your flicks and aim and other things if only as a warm-up before you start playing ranked.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I honestly been neglecting this game, I got it on Xbox back in June and only gotten to level 14. Now I came back to and I hope I can get to 25 before the end of the season.

I don't know. I understand that you have to switch, because otherwise you will lose the match by default, but if you are the one that switches all the time and they keep playing their hero they never learn and they might even win games and go up in ranking.

I always switch to support or tank, but a part of me doesn't want to reward them for their behavior. If we all do that and they lose their games because they don't have enough supports or tanks they will be in low ranking soon enough. Where they belong.

If you spam "I need a healer!" then you can be that healer.

Otherwise, I've hit the point where I actively don't switch. I pick a character that can make an impact on the game but is self-sufficient, like Roadhog for self heals or a mobile character that can bounce around to the health pack spawns.

To quote Office Space: "Why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

NOTE: This is when I solo q. SOLO YOLO, I need the character that I feel can cause the most impact to the game, regardless of the meta and regardless of if the rest of my team want me to play X hero because they want to be able to play Y.
I've had too many games playing Zenyatta and getting gold kills, which either means the DPS isn't doing their job, or the DPS is letting me steal kills from their job, both of which actively harm the ult economy for our team.

Azoor

If your team comp is suboptimal, and your teammates in the comp queue won't change, you have two choices:

1) Give up and throw the game.

2) Play your heart out anyway and hope for the best.

How am I being self-defeating?

If they won't switch, you switch. It's really as simple as that. I get that it gets frustrating sometimes, but actually reporting people to Blizzard because they lost the "race to lock in your favorite role" is just dumb.

It's not about the "race to choose" sometimes I'm a healer and nobody wants to be a tank and I myself if I switched the team would lack a healer. I almost always choose a support character in solo queue because I know many people won't.

If you spam "I need a healer!" then you can be that healer.

Otherwise, I've hit the point where I actively don't switch. I pick a character that can make an impact on the game but is self-sufficient, like Roadhog for self heals or a mobile character that can bounce around to the health pack spawns.

To quote Office Space: "Why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

NOTE: This is when I solo q. SOLO YOLO, I need the character that I feel can cause the most impact to the game, regardless of the meta and regardless of if the rest of my team want me to play X hero because they want to be able to play Y.
I've had too many games playing Zenyatta and getting gold kills, which either means the DPS isn't doing their job, or the DPS is letting me steal kills from their job, both of which actively harm the ult economy for our team.

Same here, had to adopt that strategy after so many hours of "suffering" playing Lucio with randoms. Now I will only pick him on KOTH if there isn't one or when I group up (lately only with optimus). Besides that it's Roadhog/Soldier/Zenyatta all the way.

It's not about the "race to choose" sometimes I'm a healer and nobody wants to be a tank and I myself if I switched the team would lack a healer. I almost always choose a support character in solo queue because I know many people won't.

I have noticed that there are two types of players:

- the 'main' players: they have a main character or role that they specialize in and will want to play this because duh. These guys usually instalock a role.
- the 'fill' players: they wait for other players to lock in their main roles and will try and fill to balance out the team.

Problems only arise if there are too many of each type or too many of the same role mains.

LiK

A huge problem is people queuing up with the wrong mentality in mind:

- "I'm playing in a league lower than I should or I deserve to be higher ranked"
- "I'm the better player but if we lose it is my teams fault"
- "We are going to lose if we don't play the meta"
- "If my team doesn't perform great we are going to lose"
- "I just want to gain points"
- "If hanzo/genji/junkrat doesn't switch we are going to lose"

When you should be playing with the following mentality:

- "I should only win if I outperform everyone else"
- "I will try my hardest and play well, if I make better decisions / perform gradually better than I am happy, even if we lose this game"
- "My goal is to become better or learn something every game"

You should aim to try and hardcarry every game, from no matter what role. I have seen mercy players carry games. I have seen reinhardt players single-handedly destroy teams.

Focus on individual performance and also try to improve your own teamwork skills. Example: If your own Rein does not communicate and keeps going in alone and dying, instead of flaming him for doing these things, try and communicate to your team to wait for his respawn and go with him. I have won a game that looked really bad by doing exactly this.

TRY AND IMPROVE EVERY GAME. I cant emphasis this enough. Go in and try to make plays, learn from your mistakes, try to identify your own shortcomings and improve on them. It is really important to think on this and reflect. Spend time in the training map and work on your flicks and aim and other things if only as a warm-up before you start playing ranked.

yup, instead of focusing on what everyone else picked or is doing, try to play well yourself. if you're doing well, you're contributing. If you get fixated on what everyone is doing wrong then you'll be distracted and lose. It's probably why I hate randoms who immediately spam "Thanks!" when things aren't going well. You're just being a dick and demoralizing people.

Azoor

I have noticed that there are two types of players:

- the 'main' players: they have a main character or role that they specialize in and will want to play this because duh. These guys usually instalock a role.
- the 'fill' players: they wait for other players to lock in their main roles and will try and fill to balance out the team.

Problems only arise if there are too many of each type or too many of the same role mains.

I alternate between the two positions, I always try to switch if necessary, but sometimes it's not feasible to do so. Sometimes I'm a healer and switching will deprive the team of a healer and Tanks have the same issue.

It's not about not being able to play my favorite role, it's all about coordination and proper team composition.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The problem back when she was overpowered, was that she would be jumping around quickscoping people, to stop her from doing that they reduced her damage to the point where she can't kill people quickly, and now they are giving her a better way to quickscope???

Why does a Torbjorn out dps a full charge widowmaker at max range, or a Zenyatta, or a freaking Dva with her pistol? The problem with widow is not her scope speed, it's the fact she can't freaking kill anyone unless you consistently headshot.

Hit Mercy or Lucio with a body shot? 120 damage, next shot in 1.4 seconds but oh wait now they are hiding behind an object being healed, so my shot did basically nothing.

Her DPS is simply not high enough unless you're constantly getting headshots, which is not reasonable.

Because like hanzo, she's more valuable on attack. One pick and you basically give your team an advantage.

I played a comp match a few days ago where someone on the other team actually agreed to quit out after a guy on our team left. What made it even better is that our teammate came back just a couple minutes later. The other team wasn't too happy.

zjPjWw6.jpg

Mutombo

Had a fun first round on a KOTH map, we pretty much steamrolled them until they switched to counters, and we kept on trying the same tactic that worked before but now didn't. So, at 99% we lost. It didn't matter, we played well, two more rounds to go, etc.

Then a teammate leaves.

Thanks guy. If you have the resilience and patience of a ten year old thumbing your way to a titty magazine, go play quick play.

aeolist

Banned
the thing i need to work on right now is being able to determine when i should switch even when i'm personally doing well. it's easier to see after a match is over that even if i was getting a ton of kills and shutting down enemy ults i could have helped my team more as a support or tank, but in the moment that call is really hard to make.

Mutombo

the thing i need to work on right now is being able to determine when i should switch even when i'm personally doing well. it's easier to see after a match is over that even if i was getting a ton of kills and shutting down enemy ults i could have helped my team more as a support or tank, but in the moment that call is really hard to make.

yes. This is hard. I am often with one or two friends, and I find myself asking; how are you doing? And they respond, well, I'm doing alright I think. Getting silver/gold in kills, etc. It's easy to see if you have 1 elimination as Tracer after five minutes that you should switch. But if you have a gold medal with 9 eliminations, and your team is still getting wrecked, how to tell? Your fault?

I think it's about taking a look at their team, first and foremost, before switching. Then map layout. Sometimes different characters work at different (choke) points.

And also, if you're solo que, one character switch might not do the trick anyway. You need a Winston/zenyatta instead of a Lucio/Reinhardt, for instance. I don't know.

but Pharah's not a spammer

A Pharah that relies on spamming gets singled out and murdered instantly. Her splash damage and firing rate is pathetic compared to 5 nades rolled into a small house.
pharah is a spammer. the splash damage isn't amazing but she is most effective when characters are grouped up. she is much less useful against single targets

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Had an eichenwilde game where I couldn't die as mei.

Love those kind of games.

pharah is a spammer. the splash damage isn't amazing but she is most effective when characters are grouped up. she is much less useful against single targets

Nah man, a pharah that can hit direct hits is one of the best dpses in the game.

aeolist

Banned

no that's a bad pharah. effective pharahs hit directs on supports from above and behind, use her extreme mobility to cut off respawns, and destroy almost anyone 1v1.

Paltheos

Insta-killing is the point of the character, and the buff reflects that. Widowmaker is a character specifically for players who are good at aiming accurately very quickly. The problem with the old Widowmaker is that she was one-shotting Zenyatta for any charged hit. It didn't reward high-speed precision, just kinda good aim. Now Widowmaker is stronger in the hands of high-end players but not much for anyone else, which is as it should be imo.

Preach it. I had a guy on my team who suicided from the spawn because we only had 1 healer. Even when the team got better picks he still wouldn't stop.

What do you mean very well? What rank are you and what platform are you on?
From my experience with FPS in general, soldier is pretty much a infinite skill cap hero much like Mcree, he might get a few lucky shots here and there but they don't count for much.

Are we comparing slow projectile heroes against hitscan heroes? Projectiles are pretty much luck outside of a short distance, unelss the enemy is stupid and running in straight lines. Hitscan doesn't get as lucky, he will hit his shots because he is skilled and deserve to hit them.
And playing soldier the best way you can means bursting for the head, which throws the spamming argument out the window.
As for pharah, yes she might do some good splash damage that doesn't require much aim, but she gets shot down pretty easily, and usually the pharah will die before she can finish off the target, unless she is good with her aim and directs.

Now I'm in the mood to play soldier.

I agree with you.

My level hoovers between 2600 and 2900. My hero ranks are:

Soldier is 92%
Pharah 96%
Junkrat 93%

not sure if that says anything.

Had a fun first round on a KOTH map, we pretty much steamrolled them until they switched to counters, and we kept on trying the same tactic that worked before but now didn't. So, at 99% we lost. It didn't matter, we played well, two more rounds to go, etc.

Then a teammate leaves.

Thanks guy. If you have the resilience and patience of a ten year old thumbing your way to a titty magazine, go play quick play.

Once had a guy quit two minutes into the first point on Gibraltar because we hadn't gotten the payload through the first choke point under the bridge yet. Seriously, dude? You abandon a game that fast in competitive? Why are you even playing in comp then?

On the other hand, had another game on Gibraltar where my team was able to pull a miracle by keeping near the payload for over two minutes in overtime before finally getting a team wipe and then pushing it to victory. Which caused two people on the other team to leave. So it evens out I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom