• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

This guy has played some Overwatch

9HHOZek.png

symmetra changes depend on whether blizzard cares about her being in the pro meta

if they do she has to be reworked, pro matches are and probably always will be 6v6 teamfights with the winner taking advantage and the teleporter does absolutely nothing

if they don't she can get some buffs and be fine

If they have her teleporter hand out buffs to people who come out of it, that'd help.

Nimby

Banned
If they have her teleporter hand out buffs to people who come out of it, that'd help.

I always thought they should just make her shields a passive ability anyway. Because Symmetra's shields are meant to be given to everybody, it makes no sense why it isn't passive. She doesn't have to decide who gets a shield.

I always thought they should just make her shields a passive ability anyway. Because Symmetra's shields are meant to be given to everybody, it makes no sense why it isn't passive. She doesn't have to decide who gets a shield.

I feel like her shield is the most worthless ability in the game.

I wouldn't say quite that. I've consistently gotten the invisible hero glitch in many games.

Yeah, I regularly fail to see models for a large chunk of my first games in a session. And Roadhog's hook on top of that...

It scales very well, and it does a ton of stuff right, but I don't feel that Overwatch is some supremely well-polished gem.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I get that too, but that's really only when I just started a game up.

Which is why I usually run one QP match first.

Nimby

Banned
I think a relatively easy way to improve her teleporter would be just having it work in two steps and closer to a Mercy res. She could place an indestructible/invisible "base" on the ground that can be activated when she needs to. It'd solve the issue of being up for no reason, vulnerable to the enemies, and she wouldn't need to save it for the right moment only to not have enough time to go back to the right spot to put it down because the enemy's snowballing.

I agreed with this at one point, but if the base could be pre-placed and potentially be invisible to enemies, it means Symmetra could place her tele directly on the point, activate it from spawn, and bring the whole team back to re-contest. This would be a huge disadvantage for Sym's team as well unless you had support ults, the enemies would be more prepared as well. It essentially becomes res, and res and tele aren't meant to fulfill the same role.

They are similar, but tele is used for reinforcement while res is like a second chance team fight. Right now, res isn't even an ultimate you value because both res and tele leave the team using it at a disadvantage most of the time, but you could say res can double as a way to reinforce but it is inherently weaker than tele. You also can't say "just make it so Symmetra can't activate her tele from spawn" because it essentially makes it so you just walk out of spawn, activate it, then proceed anyway. At that point it becomes very hard to police where she can and cannot activate her tele. It also doesn't stop characters from finding it if the base was visible, waiting for you to activate it, then instantly destroying it or trolling your allies exiting because they have no way of knowing what is on the other side of tele.

Really what the tele needs is lots of durability. Tele health makes no sense at the moment because one of her hardest counters (Tracer) can just 1-clip the thing and it's down it a second flat, and Blizzard thinks the tele is 'defendable' in this state. There is no defending the tele, especially because the team doesn't know where it is if it has just been placed, and voice comms aren't always a given in OW.

Symmetra is just character that Blizzard seemingly have forgot about, she has a LOT of issues that I'm surprised have been overlooked for so long (I made a pretty huge list detailing all of her issues). Right now her tele is just, 1) too weak HP wise, 2) easily countered and dealt with, and 3) doesn't provide her team with enough advantage to really make the utmost of the ultimate. Icarus just finished a three-part series on Symmetra which goes into her issues and some good and bad fixes suggested by the community. His analysis of her issues anyway is spot on, because the fixes he proposes are mostly his opinion and open to debate.

Breaking down the fundamental problems flaws of Symmetra
Why the community's rework ideas won't actually help Symmetra
How to fix Symmetra: Buffs and reworks that could help her

Kito

Shields are effective against Mei; they allow Tracer and D.Va pilot and to survive an icicle headshot, and 200hp heroes to survive freeze+headshot. They can also be effective against McCree/Roadhog but I'm unsure of their damage output.

Edit: And if you're Roadhog, Widowmaker can no longer two shot you.

BigDug13

Yeah but if it was passive then they could give her a completely different ability using that key. Then since it's passive it's ok if it's not very good as long as they give an actual good ability to replace it.

Antiwhippy

A mei counter would be more like a counter to "oh man i gotta get out of this 3 v 6 situation - WHY IS THERE A WALL IN MY WAY I CAN'T ESCAPE AHHHHHJJJJ"

Can someone give me the math on why as I approach the next tier the players always become garbage spunk monkeys who think they are gods gift to the world because they managed to press Q and make an impact one time as Mei? Or any other dumb attitude like, "Oh, you asked me to switch off? Let me get insanely defensive due to my incredible lack of self-esteem."

Can someone give me the math on why as I approach the next tier the players always become garbage spunk monkeys who think they are gods gift to the world because they managed to press Q and make an impact one time as Mei? Or any other dumb attitude like, "Oh, you asked me to switch off? Let me get insanely defensive due to my incredible lack of self-esteem."

That's actually the expected outcome mathematically. If it hasnt been for you you have been experiencing highly positive variance with the matchmaking. Soloing competitive mode in this game is absolutely useless

Kito

There used to be an element of decision in the beta, shields were 50hp with an 8 second cooldown, so in the middle of a game you would have to choose who got one.

That's actually the expected outcome mathematically. If it hasnt been for you you have been experiencing highly positive variance with the matchmaking. Soloing competitive mode in this game is absolutely useless
If that's how you look at it, no wonder you act like this is the worst game ever created.

There used to be an element of decision in the beta, shields were 50hp with an 8 second cooldown, so in the middle of a game you would have to choose who got one.
But with that, we'd go back to the problem of Genji dominating because him getting 50 shields would make him insane. And Tracer.

At this point, they should just replace her shields or make it a passive ability.

If that's how you look at it, no wonder you act like this is the worst game ever created.

More than half the games i play 4 people insta pick assault class and wont change off it even tho they suck. This is diamond level. You can almost always count on a hanzo only player too

More than half the games i play 4 people insta pick assault class and wont change off it even tho they suck. This is diamond level. You can almost always count on a hanzo only player too
I don't believe you. Whenever I solo queue in comp(also Diamond) I never see more than 3 DPS anymore and it's usually just 2 of them.

Quit focusing on your teammates and blaming them because that's not going to help you win by blaming them, it will only make you play worse if you think your team is shit and you won't win. You sound like a bigger problem than your teammates.

I don't believe you. Whenever I solo queue in comp(also Diamond) I never see more than 3 DPS anymore and it's usually just 2 of them.

Quit focusing on your teammates and blaming them because that's not going to help you win by blaming them, it will only make you play worse if you think your team is shit and you won't win. You sound like a bigger problem than your teammates.

K sure

That's just kinda like a worse zarya bubble now though.

Significantly worse. Smaller boost w/ no damage upside.

I like the idea of making shields passive, having them scale w/ health, and using the free key to give Symm a not-insignificant decaying shield boost, like a signle-target Lucio ult on a timer.

Significantly worse. Smaller boost w/ no damage upside.

I like the idea of making shields passive, having them scale w/ health, and using the free key to give Symm a not-insignificant decaying shield boost, like a signle-target Lucio ult on a timer.
I liked Kors idea of making the shields replace health, while still adding 25 shields, so it would technically be a 50 shield buff, but 25 of that would just replace their health.
Yep, and that's why I said I don't believe you. Either you're lying about the 4 DPS thing, or you're lying about your rank because Diamond players have never gone 4 DPS for the time that I've been Diamond.

I liked Kors idea of making the shields replace health, while still adding 25 shields, so it would technically be a 50 shield buff, but 25 of that would just replace their health.

Yep, and that's why I said I don't believe you. Either you're lying about the 4 DPS thing, or you're lying about your rank because Diamond players have never gone 4 DPS for the time that I've been Diamond.

That's still crazy weak. Like, let's imagine that a character drops down to 1 health before escaping. With Ana, Zen, Lucio, or Mercy, they can get up to full health. With Symmetra, they can get up to... 50. That's not really significant, especially in a pitched firefight.

cyborg009

Banned
Another interesting Symmetra(Defend) tactic I saw was was on volskaya industries where she hid until her team was swiped out. but they stayed inside the spawn room and came back out with damn bastion. Wiped out my entire team.

Another interesting Symmetra(Defend) tactic I saw was was on volskaya industries where she hid until her team was swiped out. but they stayed inside the spawn room and came back out with damn bastion. Wiped out my entire team.

I wanna see plays like that being more viable. Hidden teleporter would do wonders for crazy alternate strats. Whole team outta nowhere let's gooooo

I mean team morale is a huge thing too. One time I picked Mei on Hanamura and some guy switched to WM because "our Mei is gonna be useless so why try" in competitive (sigh) so I changed to a DPS to help make them feel a bit more comfortable. Ended up doing well since they switched after I did.

Can't always have it your way and that's ok. Just be a good teammate.

Antiwhippy

I mean team morale is a huge thing too. One time I picked Mei on Hanamura and some guy switched to WM because "our Mei is gonna be useless so why try" in competitive (sigh) so I changed to a DPS to help make them feel a bit more comfortable. Ended up doing well since they switched after I did.

Can't always have it your way and that's ok. Just be a good teammate.

Which is dumb because she's pretty much the queen on that map.

I've noticed that the moment somebody starts blaming the rest of the team, shit goes downhill FAST. Toxicity is a gameloser, people.
Yep! Had a KOTH game where we comfortably won the first round, then when we lost the second round, 4 of my teammates thought it was a good idea to start blaming the Dva on our team. I was on mic and I couldn't say shit because I figured that if I tried to defend Dva, they would all start piling on me and that wouldn't help anything. We lost every round after that. Then the cards came and our Dva had the most objective kills on our team lol.

And at that moment I knew I couldn't stay quiet because even after seeing that card, they still shit on that guy so I just went on mic real quick and said "well she had a card for objective kills, so she must be worth more than you jerks.", and I immediately left after that.

Never blame teammates. You will just lose even worse, or screw yourself out of winning.

I've noticed that the moment somebody starts blaming the rest of the team, shit goes downhill FAST. Toxicity is a gameloser, people.

yeah the gamelosing couldnt possibly be because bad players refuse to switch off assault class when they are being ineffective because we have 1 tank and 1 support in addition to the fact that despite the hit boxes being almost as big as a tank in bf4 they still cant reliably get elims for the team

yeah the gamelosing couldnt possibly be because bad players refuse to switch off assault class when they are being ineffective because we have 1 tank and 1 support in addition to the fact that despite the hit boxes being almost as big as a tank in bf4 they still cant reliably get elims for the team
Maybe it's because you're shitting on them on mic but just not telling us, killing their morale 🤔

And again, I don't believe your 4 DPS in Diamond bullshit. Because that's what it is. Bull. Shit.

And making those guys feel like shit is going to make them play better!

Wait.

Maybe it's because you're shitting on them on mic but just not telling us, killing their morale 🤔

And again, I don't believe your 4 DPS in Diamond bullshit. Because that's what it is. Bull. Shit.

Once a minute or 2 of futility has gone by and they wont see reason, yes i do let them know they suck.

Yeah its bullshit. Just like those roadhog hook issues that NEVER happen even tho people play roadhog ALL the time

Once a minute or 2 of futility has gone by and they wont see reason, yes i do let them know they suck
Well, we know who's the real problem now!

And seriously, a minute or two??? You realize there is, what, 4 minutes given to you on payload and 2CP?

Grow the fuck up dude.

And yes, people play Roadhog ALL the time because he totally has a 100% pick rate in the meta reports -__-

I could name at least 5 heroes that get played more than Roadhog. Probably more than 5.

Antiwhippy

Also I almost find hanamura unplayable in pubs now because so many pubs would just try go down that bottom centre path in B. Even though I keep asking to go top right because at least we can take care of that soldier raining fire on us before we start our engagements.

In groups though it's fine because people usually listen to communication.

Well, we know who's the real problem now!

And seriously, a minute or two??? You realize there is, what, 4 minutes given to you on payload and 2CP?

Grow the fuck up dude.

And yes, people play Roadhog ALL the time because he totally has a 100% pick rate in the meta reports -__-

You realize the team who does shit faster wins?

People on the last page claimed what i said about roadhogs hook being broken was bullshit because they use him all the time and it never happens. Yet if you go into youtube and search for "roadhog hook" all you get is videos of how broken it is. Hence my statement

You realize the team who does shit faster wins?

People on the last page claimed what i said about roadhogs hook being broken was bullshit because they use him all the time and it never happens. Yet if you go into youtube and search for "roadhog hook" all you get is videos of how broken it is. Hence my statement
I've had plenty of games that I've won where we had less time. You realize there are multiple rounds, right? The game is never over until it says match complete. Grow. The. Fuck. Up. Or go play COD because that game fits your kind of attitude perfectly.

And why would anything else show up if you search Roadhogs hook? It's not like anyone is making guides or some shit for his hook.

komaruR

Also I almost find hanamura unplayable in pubs now because so many pubs would just try go down that bottom centre path in B. Even though I keep asking to go top right because at least we can take care of that soldier raining fire on us before we start our engagements.

In groups though it's fine because people usually listen to communication.

its fine tho, sneak in a bastion to the top right and mow them down while they focusing on the main team. the trick is, you gotta sneak your way to the top right un notice first or the surprise is gone.

I've had plenty of games that I've won where we had less time. You realize there are multiple rounds, right? The game is never over until it says match complete. Grow. The. Fuck. Up. Or go play COD because that game fits your kind of attitude perfectly.

And why would anything else show up if you search Roadhogs hook? It's not like anyone is making guides or some shit for his hook.

if it wasnt broken crap, highlight videos of skillful roadhog hooks would probably show up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom