• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That feel when you think your team blows because they seem to overextend constantly on defense, but then you manage to blow away the other team through deathballing with speedboost.

For solo Q I tend to appreciate having a reaper and rein on my team when I play lucio because they seem to benefit the best from speedboost even if you have 0 communication.

The stat I really like following the most as lucio is my off assists stat. Getting close to that top 99%.

That feel when you think your team blows because they seem to overextend constantly on defense, but then you manage to blow away the other team through deathballing with speedboost.

For solo Q I tend to appreciate having a reaper and rein on my team when I play lucio because they seem to benefit the best from speedboost even if you have 0 communication.

The stat I really like following the most as lucio is my off assists stat. Getting close to that top 99%.

It's always fun in comp when your team royally fucks up on defense and let's the team get all the way to the end but manages to hold that last 5-10m just by sheer luck, and you go into the attack phase thinking the worst. And then your team steamrolls all the way to the end and gets a victory no problem.

I also discovered (and can't remember if I mentioned this before) that on hybrid maps, if you hold the other team and they finish the map in overtime, but your team finishes with time to spare, you automatically get the victory if you manage to cap the first point on the second attack round. I thought for sure the other team would get another chance as well, but nope.

So many people just don't know what to do when the Reinhart stops shielding and goes in.

I didn't play at all over the weekend, and went from 2400 to 2300 last night.

I ended up with the same two stack for two different games, and boy were they awful. Like, trying to coach while one of the guys only played Hanzo and Genji and would complain whenever he got one shot by Pharah, instead of switching to something more viable for the map / lineup.

But of course I was responsible for not holding the point as Lucio, despite contesting it for so long that I got 2 ultimates off and we still couldn't push them back.

UGH.

So I went Rein for the last match of the night and we ran a train on the other team. But that was without those two goobers.

I kept myself from falling below to the high 2200s, so hopefully I can climb back up to 2500 this week. We'll see.

darklin0

Banned
Widow's skin is indeed a strange one. I've no idea if it references something in the canon or not.
It should of been the default. It is so much better than her base skin.
Finally having a good week in ranked. Just hit peak of 3310 and logged out at 3280 tonight all from solo queue. Seems like my new rule of 2 losses and take a break is really helping as well.

Really feels like the higher you get the harder it is to drop, so many players in the 2700-3000 range who really don't feel like they are that versatile in multiple roles. My skill graph on Master Overwatch looks like a rollercoaster lol
The rule of 2 is great. Sometimes I even break after one just to think of what went wrong and what I could of done differently.

This motherfucker was hiding in the top corner of the gas station in route 66 contesting our payload and i didnt realise until a minute left holy shit we were steam rolling them and i thought the game bugged out. I made sure to look everywhere to see if there was anyone contesting. There was no one there until i checked the character screen and realised i hadnt seen Mccree in ages and i checked the top of the station and this mother fucker was chilling in the corner but by then my team just fell apart ffs i feel outplayed i can just imagine how that fuckers feeling im so mad.

MUnited83

For you.
9PazyJG.jpg
Having some really good matches with Zarya lately. So good.

I've talked about this before, but man I do not understand how Blizzard's stats/Overbuff calculates wins/losses.

My record in season 2 comp is 54-56. And yet when I tally all my character's individual wins and losses, they come out to 51-59. I get that character switching mid-match would fuck with the algorithm and what-not, but you would think the totals would be accurate.

MastAndo

Had a bunch of free time yesterday, so I figured what better way to spend it than to send my SR plummeting into the depths of hell? Went 6-14 in competitive matches yesterday, good enough to drop me some 240 or so points to 1770. I know it's best to stop playing after a couple of losses in a row, but it got to a point where I was just curious as to see how many games in a row I could lose. Turns out it's a lot.

Just when I think I'm getting the hang of things (I'm relatively new at this, having just hopped on after the recent free weekend), this game kicks me in the nuts.

Plesiades

I'm gonna keep an eye on this page since they made all of the Summer Games Legendaries among others. Maybe the upload something by mistake :)

I hope Blizzard pulls another "Season 2" and the event starts early.🙏

xaosslug

So many people just don't know what to do when the Reinhart stops shielding and goes in.

I didn't play at all over the weekend, and went from 2400 to 2300 last night.

I ended up with the same two stack for two different games, and boy were they awful. Like, trying to coach while one of the guys only played Hanzo and Genji and would complain whenever he got one shot by Pharah, instead of switching to something more viable for the map / lineup.

But of course I was responsible for not holding the point as Lucio, despite contesting it for so long that I got 2 ultimates off and we still couldn't push them back.

UGH.

So I went Rein for the last match of the night and we ran a train on the other team. But that was without those two goobers.

I kept myself from falling below to the high 2200s, so hopefully I can climb back up to 2500 this week. We'll see.

LOL! Yesterday while duoQing w/ a friend we were twice matched with this Zenyatta know-it-all kid that kept criticizing our team composition, and whining in general. -__- First on Volskaya, where we managed to force a draw even w/ a 5 minute deficit, and then on Dorodo where we lost (I'm pretty sure because this kid would. not. shut. uppp! >_>) smh

I wonder if it would be possible to find quick play solo queue only statistics and see who is the most successful hero on defense.

Because I would bet money that it's Symmetra. Any time I solo queue, if the enemy team has a symmetra and I'm healing or tanking? That teleporter will never die. My team will continue to trickle into the point after a solid push, being murdered over and over.

Had that last night as Lucio on the first CP on King's Row. D.Va, Tracer, and Winston on my team and they didn't even try to find the teleporter. I finally started making kamikaze runs to destroy it- full speed, wall-riding, whatever to stay alive- and got it destroyed. We took the point in OT, and got it all the way to the end for the win.

I will move off D.Va to a healer if the team needs it, but if someone chooses D.Va after, there better not be any Teleporters, Widows, or Winstons messing us up.

That happens so much in my matches. People don't understand that if you wipe the enemy or stop their push you need to go back to where you were, not chase them down or try to chokehold them even further in.

Because of its lock on nature, because of how clustered people can be I'd really like a quality of life change with Zen's harmony orb. Specifically, I'd like a little way to route a number to each player and basically say 1-McCree, 2-Genji, 3-Zarya ,4-Lucio etc and just hit that to throw my harmony orb on them. Still make them be in POV but just something so I'm not trying to aim past Roadhog's fat ass to get the Genji

"Need Healing!" as he is bouncing amongst the team. Yeah, no problem, Genji.

Had the weirdest shit happen to me with Mei last night, wish I could have gotten the gif of it.

Got hit at some weird time and it caused my gun to go into overdrive. It felt like the spray was shooting like 2x as far, but I also couldnt stop shooting and it just ran my clip out eventually.

LOL! Yesterday while duoQing w/ a friend we were twice matched with this Zenyatta know-it-all kid that kept criticizing our team composition, and whining in general. -__- First on Volskaya, where we managed to force a draw even w/ a 5 minute deficit, and then on Dorodo where we lost (I'm pretty sure because this kid would. not. shut. uppp! >_>) smh

I didn't play Zen last night, so I doubt it was you two lol.

The second game they loaded in and I recognized their names instantly.

The first words out of their mouths were "COULD WE GET SOME SUPPORTS" and I said "Only if you two shut up about trying to coach like last game and just call out flanks and picks."

"WE HAD GOLD ELIMS BRO SHUT UP"

"Because you asked us to support you"

That second game, they only mumbled when they died and refused to communicate after that. Was a great match watching Genji die constantly.

Heh, I made a twitch account for Twitch Prime and gave my free sub to MOONMOON. He said my username was a dumb meme name. Mission accomplished.

I'm gonna use my Twitch Prime to subscribe to Flik - I love his Overwatch stream videos. Problem is he's in Scotland so it's nearly impossible for me to be able to subscribe while he's streaming live.

MGrant

Learning the Chinese names of the heroes because I play on the Asia servers with mostly Taiwanese players. Some interesting ones in there.

Widowmaker = "Deadly Woman"
Junkrat = "Bomb Rat"
Roadhog = "Roadblock Pig"
Hanzo = "Half-Possessed" (possessed as in "owned or stored by someone") or (less likely) "Half-Hidden"
Tracer = "Flash"
Bastion = "Barrier Machine"

Had a bunch of free time yesterday, so I figured what better way to spend it than to send my SR plummeting into the depths of hell? Went 6-14 in competitive matches yesterday, good enough to drop me some 240 or so points to 1770. I know it's best to stop playing after a couple of losses in a row, but it got to a point where I was just curious as to see how many games in a row I could lose. Turns out it's a lot.

Just when I think I'm getting the hang of things (I'm relatively new at this, having just hopped on after the recent free weekend), this game kicks me in the nuts.
If you want, we can group together. I am around that SR.

Moonkeis

Why can't people adapt and switch characters in ranked in diamond I don't understaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

I see it happen most of the time with people who just instalock DPS when we need an additional support. And these are the same players who can't even get any kills in.

In general I'm a believer in first come first serve. Just because I can't really think of a better way. It does suck when two people instantly lock into DPS but I still say they get it over some guy who tries to lock in the third later on. It is super refreshing to see the insta lock Genji go tank or support if the comp doesn't look good though.

It'd be nice if people talked and tried to choose the best roles but it's an imperfect system. I usually just hope that they are really good and are instalocking their main, which happens to be true quite a bit tbh.

Why can't people adapt and switch characters in ranked in diamond I don't understaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

Pisses me off more when they pick the most situational DPS ever and force a Tank to swap to a healer.

Yeah buddy, your Hanzo on Hanamura Offense is more useful than a Reinhardt or Zenyetta.

In general I'm a believer in first come first serve. Just because I can't really think of a better way. It does suck when two people instantly lock into DPS but I still say they get it over some guy who tries to lock in the third later on. It is super refreshing to see the insta lock Genji go tank or support if the comp doesn't look good though.

It'd be nice if people talked and tried to choose the best roles but it's an imperfect system. I usually just hope that they are really good and are instalocking their main, which happens to be true quite a bit tbh.

I lock in Zarya or Lucio pretty much every time depending on the map. If it looks like our composition is bad I'll offer to switch as long as someone covers the character/class I'm abandoning. If I'm the only tank for example, I'd rather not switch to a Mercy.

So I'm watching Stylosa's stream, and it's like I'm watching some sort of alternate universe. He's on a losing streak and dropped into the low 3000s and complaining about how trash his rating is, and raging about how bad his teammates are. And here's the thing - his teammates are bad. They literally are throwing the game by missing some of the most basic stuff. Basically, his games look exactly the same as the games that I complain about, and I'm fluctuating between 2100 and 2300! I actually can't tell the difference in skill level between the players at his level and the players at my level. Literally the same dumb shit is happening.

He ran into a D.va main, with 40+ hours only on D.va who wouldn't switch no matter what. He had games where there was only one healer. He had games where players argued over Zarya. There were ragers, toxic players, and dumbasses. So what's the difference? Because I can't figure it out. What is it that these players did to distinguish them enough to get up to the 3000s when they're behaving like this?

Moonkeis

I think they should add a "preferred" check box to the match making. I think you would get a better mix of those that prefer to play DPS, etc.

cyborg009

Banned
I'm good with one hero (D.Va) and acceptable with a handful of others (most tanks & healers, Soldier), but I always feel I'm letting the team down when I switch in comp (I always switch if asked, or to take down a Pharah or Bastion, etc) because I feel I'm making mistakes which snowballs. It's a pretty horrid feeling, so I get why people would rather stay.
At my level- Silver/Gold border- it's usually best to let them stay with what they're good, or at least comfortable, with. I do totally understand your frustration, though.

The game has 23 characters but you put in most of your time into one character(Junkrat for this person) is not really smart. I'm not a top 500 player or anything but I at least took some time in quickplay and learned how to play most characters in every class.

Nimby

Banned
Is there a new update out? On PS4 is said there was a new patch available on OW itself.

EDIT: Glitch? Doesn't seem to be one.

Paltheos

It's remarkable how quickly games can fall apart. Since I play tank/support 95% of the time, I decided I wanted to practice McCree a bit (an endeavor I've since abandoned - I suck super-hard at him and have at least a usable Soldier). So I enter QP and insta-lock him - Or try anyway, often other players would beat me to the cap or just pick McCree again because why not. And the rest of the team refused to pick anything resembling a good comp. Maybe one tank, maybe one healer. One match I entered wtih 6 DPS.

But it seems to go a little better when I pick a tank/support early. ... I mean, I know it's QP, but how can the whole team go forward with 6 DPS? Is everyone just practicing like me?

It's remarkable how quickly games can fall apart. Since I play tank/support 95% of the time, I decided I wanted to practice McCree a bit (an endeavor I've since abandoned - I suck super-hard at him and have at least a usable Soldier). So I enter QP and insta-lock him - Or try anyway, often other players would beat me to the cap or just pick McCree again because why not. And the rest of the team refused to pick anything resembling a good comp. Maybe one tank, maybe one healer. One match I entered wtih 6 DPS.

But it seems to go a little better when I pick a tank/support early. ... I mean, I know it's QP, but how can the whole team go forward with 6 DPS? Is everyone just practicing like me?

When I play in QP, I rarely play with my mains anymore. I'm usually experimenting with different strategies and characters I'm not as comfortable with, regardless of team composition. Example: I'm not gonna auto lock Lucio on KOTH if there's nobody else on support, just because I already know how to play Lucio and don't need practice with him. I might still choose a support like Mercy or Zen just to get in more practice with them if the team comp is otherwise fine, or I might choose Torb if the team comp is crap (two Hanzos and a Widow, for example) just to fuck around.

A lot of people use QP as the practice grounds where they don't care about losing. Playing QP seriously is just asking to get frustrated since you'll see hero stacks and other stupid things.

xaosslug

yeah, these days I only run characters I'm good at in QP when the enemy team is playing super hardcore like it's a comp match, targetting me, killing me over and over, and making it very unfun learning experience... I ain't no punk! ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom