• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paired up with a rando today, got some wins and ended up in a comp match with another party and two solo players - EVERYBODY on mic (PS4). What a feeling.

We absolutely stomped the other team. Felt good. I mentioned a couple of days ago that I finally got back to gold after dropping from 2183 to 1600....today I'm at 2230. Having some great games lately.

Looks like Halloween boxes are going to be exactly the same as Summer boxes, what with duplicates and up to 4 event items that can be anything.
Let's hope Blizzard learned from the fan backlash and is going to put the Halloween stuff into the store to purchase with, though given the duplicate bullshit being back, I think it's gonna be identical to the Summer event.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Looks like Halloween boxes are going to be exactly the same as Summer boxes, what with duplicates and up to 4 event items that can be anything.
Let's hope Blizzard learned from the fan backlash and is going to put the Halloween stuff into the store to purchase with, though given the duplicate bullshit being back, I think it's gonna be identical to the Summer event.

They're absolutley not going to let you buy them with gold. They'd make no money off them if they did.

They're absolutley not going to let you buy them with gold. They'd make no money off them if they did.
You could say the same about current loot boxes but they still made money off those at launch, and are probably still making some money off them.

But they probably still won't do it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You could say the same about current loot boxes but they still made money off those at launch, and are probably still making some money off them.

But they probably still won't do it.

The current loot boxes aren't a limited time thing though. That's the whole difference. You can eventually get everything, there's no urgency. Not only do seasonal boxes encourage you to play more but the fact that you'll have to wait until next year encourages people to buy a bunch of loot boxes.

The kind of people that really cares about limited time skins like that is the kind of person that has a ton of coins sitting in their inventory because they already play the game a ton as it is.

konjak

I just got the game on PS4 in addition to PC, where I am level 170. These beginner players... it's like Skirmish, but even more aimless.

Also, a Bastion that never left the spawn doorway got POTG because, hahaha, POTG qualifiers.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
When you earthshatter the final moments of a point B capture and win the game.

3zlCJV7.png

Fancolors

Mas, potgs can be so boring. I had three games, two of them were just Bastion sitting in front of spawn shooting and the other was a Torb ulting far, far away from the fight.

Like, I understand that turrets can be useful, but I would appreciate if potgs showed things from their perspective instead of a Torb doing nothing.

DevilDog

But what counters a nano boosted character? A sleep dart.

Lucio speedboost, any support ultimate, mei, any character that has a knockback feature, ana of course and basically kiting.

That is one of the main reasons mei was so important in the last tournaments. Her freezing ability and ice wall countered anaboosted targets.

Antiwhippy

Mas, potgs can be so boring. I had three games, two of them were just Bastion sitting in front of spawn shooting and the other was a Torb ulting far, far away from the fight.

Like, I understand that turrets can be useful, but I would appreciate if potgs showed things from their perspective instead of a Torb doing nothing.

Really? I get no bastion or torb PotGs nowadays mostly because most people just roll them over.

Fancolors

Really? I get no bastion or torb PotGs nowadays mostly because most people just roll them over.
Yeah, it's definitely not common, but it still happens to me.

One of the Bastion examples happened on King's Row on the last segment of the payload. They had a Rein shielding him and a Mercy constantly healing both. None of the flankers tried getting their healer so it's not surprising we utterly failed to win.

Antiwhippy

Really weird phenomenom I noticed, as a person who at some point fell to the 1900 and am now at my season high of 2650. The higher I climb, the more effective my reinhardt play is, because people now actually know how to use their reinhardt the higher you go.

I used to really refuse playing him because playing him at the lower levels was pure masochism, but I had a run with him today. Which is great, because I love me some rein when people know to follow my lead.

Even managed to bring my WR with him over 50%!

Prelude.

Lucio speedboost, any support ultimate, mei, any character that has a knockback feature, ana of course and basically kiting.

That is one of the main reasons mei was so important in the last tournaments. Her freezing ability and ice wall countered anaboosted targets.
Speedboost: The nanoboosted character is speedboosted for 8 seconds. Also, running away is a counter? What if he goes on the point?
Support ultimates: Only Zen's actually. But that's an ultimate, and can be baited.
Mei: so, focus fire? Haha. Nice one.
Knockback: wut

Those are mild inconveniences, there's nothing else that reliably shuts down a nanoboosted character other than a sleep dart.

mellow

please tell me some of you are watching this Korean tournament stream

oh god these introductions

I will be sad if I don't see someone do the gangnam style or a JJBA pose

Antiwhippy

Speedboost: The nanoboosted character is speedboosted for 8 seconds. Also, running away is a counter? What if he goes on the point?
Support ultimates: Only Zen's actually. But that's an ultimate, and can be baited.

Those are mild inconveniences, there's nothing else that reliably shuts down a nanoboosted character other than a sleep dart.

Just CC the shit out of them. It's kinda ridiculous the amount of investment you need to put in to stop them, but you can do it. I've earthshattered quite a number of nanoboosted people today.

Just keep in mind when the ult will be used and it'll be alright. Probably.

Prelude.

Just CC the shit out of them. It's kinda ridiculous the amount of investment you need to put in to stop them, but you can do it. I've earthshattered quite a number of nanoboosted people today.

Just keep in mind when the ult will be used and it'll be alright. Probably.
But that's what I mean, I don't think Blizzard wants to have a character hard countered only by the same character so I think that Sombra, considering she's supposed to be a hacker/disabling hero, might address that.

Nice!

And I thought I was doing well, 8 or 9 game unbeaten run and I just hit Plat for the first time yesterday; from 2350 all the way up to 2536.

All my runs are down instead of up. Every time I get close to platinum, I go on a streak of 5-6 losses.

I initially wanted to get to Platinum just so I'd have enough comp points to get a golden gun at the end of the season. But I've done so much yo-yoing right below the Platinum threshold that I've nearly accumulated enough points through wins that my Gold rating will be enough for the golden gun.

MGrant

Kept getting put on the same team in solo queue with a guy who would instalock Widowmaker every game and proceed to get no picks, attack or defense. The fourth time we were matched I picked Widow faster to block him, so who does he choose? Junkrat. I should have known.

Anyone have any tips for shooting Pharah out of the sky on console? I know McCree and Soldier are best at it, but I am too slow at aiming more often than not.

Anyone have any tips for shooting Pharah out of the sky on console? I know McCree and Soldier are best at it, but I am too slow at aiming more often than not.
As someone who plays a lot of Pharah on console Roadhog is a really decent choice if you can land the hook on her. Other than that maybe Zen with discord. Dva can boost up into her face and tear through her like paper too.
The soldier/ McCree counter only really works if they have good aim and don't have much ground opposition, I've found I beat those characters one on one more often than not.(aside from ults which can be killer)

DevilDog

Finished my placements on PC. Got 2564 compared to my PS4 placement which gave me 3149. :(
Man don't feel bad about it. I'm not joking when I tell you that I've met support mains on Diamond that have better aim than I do. Things are tough, on 3300+ ranks on PC you'll be getting matched with TF2 pros.

Don't take every single point I made and devalue it because it doesn't work in every single possible situation you created. I listed many, so that you can see there are options and strategies available for each situation.

Generally a thing teams do in tournaments is baiting the nanoboost and kiting it.
That way the reinheardt or anyone else loses LOS of the healers and gets separated from the team. All speedboost does is amplify this. Even if a nano boosted reinheardt gets a kill, he won't be able to do much more damage because everyone would be so spread out.

Furthermore, reinheardt charge is great as well and so is roadhog's hook.

"Support ultimates: Only Zen's actually. But that's an ultimate, and can be baited."

Not sure why you'd think that lucio's ultimate isn't good enough, and why you value zen higher than Lucio's as well.
You do know that a nano boosted genji can insta kill any dps/defence/support hero through trance? And that reinheardts charge and melee+firestrike combo can one shot a lot of characters too?
Also you need to elaborate on your "baited" argument. I can't read your mind to know the situation.

Focus fire? Mei's freezing abilities means that you can freeze them while they are nano boosted. And that means the ult's time is running out while getting no utility.
And combine all that with her wall and invuln ability and you can kite them even longer.

One time I played as a mei, a reinheardt chased after me, and I made sure right before I died that i walled off the way to the rest of my team. Just another example.

Meaning lucio's E and pharah's E.

The most reliable way to counter them so far is mei ult tbh. If the target isn't a tank, it is very very hard to sleep them and there is a very high chance that your team will wake them up inside anyways.

Azoor

D.va can be very effective too, she can fly to her with DM of and shoot.

This is what I did back when I played the game on PS4.

Tabby

All my runs are down instead of up. Every time I get close to platinum, I go on a streak of 5-6 losses.

I initially wanted to get to Platinum just so I'd have enough comp points to get a golden gun at the end of the season. But I've done so much yo-yoing right below the Platinum threshold that I've nearly accumulated enough points through wins that my Gold rating will be enough for the golden gun.

See because if I lose I just stop playing, else I start getting tilted and salty.

But yeah there's so much yoyoing, most of this season has been me having a good day and going up by like 20-30 points, next day I lose and go back down 20-30 points.

Wait how many points do you get for having plat?

darklin0

Banned
Can't wait for all the overwatch skeltal memes.

Reach for the sky.

Sooner rather than later™.

Sombra will probably be announced/released at blizzcon
I am being greedy but I can't help imagining where I would be if I did not let myself loose 80 points last night. Should of quit when I was ahead. lol
Nice!

And I thought I was doing well, 8 or 9 game unbeaten run and I just hit Plat for the first time yesterday; from 2350 all the way up to 2536.
I had some solid games: 10 wins, 4 losses, 6 draws. The most draws I have ever had, I think I was at like 4 total before tonight.
Finished my placements on PC. Got 2564 compared to my PS4 placement which gave me 3149. :(
The PC climb is a steep one. Try to group up with people, solo queue is harsh and unforgiving.

See because if I lose I just stop playing, else I start getting tilted and salty.

But yeah there's so much yoyoing, most of this season has been me having a good day and going up by like 20-30 points, next day I lose and go back down 20-30 points.

Wait how many points do you get for having plat?

It's just weird because I'll have days where I break even (3 wins/3 losses), or like 2 wins, 1 loss. But the only time I streak is when I go on a 0-6 (over several plays, not all at once) after getting into the high 2400s. It's happened four times in a row now - I claw my way from low 2300s to high 2400s over the course of a week, and then the next two days are just all losses. Like the game is saying "we placed you in gold, fuck you, no platinum." I've actually crossed the line from bitter and am now finding it amusing at this point.

As for points, you get 800 for platinum and 600 for gold (iirc). I started the season w/ around 1800 and now I'm at nearly 2300 points, so I'm close to just brute force winning my way to a golden gun.

Jellie

Man don't feel bad about it. I'm not joking when I tell you that I've met support mains on Diamond that have better aim than I do. Things are tough, on 3300+ ranks on PC you'll be getting matched with TF2 pros.
Was hoping for around 2750. Didn't even do badly. Oh well, will just have to climb.
The PC climb is a steep one. Try to group up with people, solo queue is harsh and unforgiving.
People are more likely to tilt. One of my placements I lost was because everyone was bashing on one person in chat which wouldn't happen on PS4. Though tbf they were tracer and not getting any kills and the other teams mercy kept rezzing.

I solo queued PS4 so I'm used to solo now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom