• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
Is there proof of this? I mean honestly it doesn't hurt to wait because they are just cosmetic items. If someone is waiting because they are level like 102 or something than I would just wait and not risk it.

the proof is everyone who played during the summer event and clicked around in the UI, including myself. plus they've already said that every lootbox's contents is generated when you get it, not when you open it, which was in the context of people saving lootboxes for ana's release.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/PolluxOil?mode=competitive

Can somebody who's actually good at this game tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm tired of losing all the time and I need to know why the fuck I can't ever win.

Just played a KOTH match where we won the first point easily, then half our team switched to new characters (including our Lucio switching to Winston when we already had two tanks) and then proceeded to lose the next 3 points because players kept switching every time they died like it was a brawl. Do people not understand ult consistency and build-up? The enemy team never switched characters at all and just creamed us with ults.

I got four gold medals in the match - 34 elims, 14 obj kills, 1:53 obj time, 11,195 damage done (and 10 deaths) and it just bugs the shit out of me because I feel like I'm performing well but my team is always just a bunch of idiots.

I'd really like to know if I'm misjudging myself or not.

Can somebody who's actually good at this game tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm tired of losing all the time and I need to know why the fuck I can't ever win.

Just played a KOTH match where we won the first point easily, then half our team switched to new characters (including our Lucio switching to Winston when we already had two tanks) and then proceeded to lose the next 3 points because players kept switching every time they died like it was a brawl. Do people not understand ult consistency and build-up? The enemy team never switched characters at all and just creamed us with ults.

I got four gold medals in the match - 34 elims, 14 obj kills, 1:53 obj time, 11,195 damage done (and 10 deaths) and it just bugs the shit out of me because I feel like I'm performing well but my team is always just a bunch of idiots.

Overbuff won't help us give feedback. We need gameplay

Need gameplay. Stats mean nothing. Gold medals mean nothing without context. So gameplay is needed. For all we know you not switching could be the issue because your team was trying to find the right composition to face the enemy. Or you had the right pick and everyone else on your team is dumb.

DevilDog

Can confirm
Get anywhere close to my healer and you're dead.

Well, first of all, as a general rule, what teams do in tournaments is irrelevant because I'm talking about normal people playing the game in a non 6-man team coordinated way. But either way, the team running aways isn't a counter, it just means that ultimate has been used as a zoning tool, which is equally important as getting kills pretty often.
But if we are talking about normal people, we are talking about 2400-2500 ranks. And in these pubs, people don't play very seriously and frankly can miss the sleep dart incredibly easily. So there is no point in talking about pubs since its basically randomness.

Lucio's ult is an issue only for a fraction of the nanoboost considering its decay, duration and activation time. And no, I did not know that nb Genji could kill through transcendence because I never did the math, but since it heals 300hp per second it doesn't seem like the easiest thing to do (it should do 120+60 per slash so he can deal 360 in less than 2 secs but I don't know how/if the speed boost affects the slashes as well), either way, if that's the case and 2 perfect slashes on the same character are easy to pull off, it's one less counter, then.
Lucio ult can make sure the target surives, or that he is the only one who will die.
Also, ana counters zen's ult, hard. Just one grenade and his trancendence is absolutely useless. Another reason why Lucio's ult is better.

Nano boosted genji can one shot people by sword+dashing animation cancelling which deals 180+75=275 damage.
That means he can one shot mei and even reaper. Basically anyone who isn't a tank.
With Lucio ult you can survive that, and if you can run away from him or juke him, he won't be able to do much without his dash.

"Baited" means just do something to make Zen pop his ult, he can't get it back as soon as Ana gets her sleep dart back and it's also really easy to notice when he uses it, unlike her dart.
And baiting the ana dart is easy as well. And much more safe.
All I really need to do is start harassing her from a safe location or in her face and let my team know she doesn't have it.
And if you communicate with your team, you can coordinate with your ana.

Mei's freeze lasts long enough only during her ult and that isn't particularly hard to avoid if you're nanoboosted, so that leaves her normal spray freeze stun, which is easy to pull off but if it's not followed by focus fire by a good chunk of your team might result into a 1-2 secs delay of someone's death.
Her wall, again, very situational since you can't make it work anywhere and in case it's used as a splitting tool, still needs focus fire to kill the enemy which isn't exactly what happens when a team sees a nanoboosted Rein coming their way. I play a lot of Zenyatta and when that happens I immediately discord them and start shooting, but I'm usually the only one doing that because everyone's running their ass off and since I have no means to outrun him I get picked off shortly after.
Ok, first of all her ult is definently not easy to avoid even when nanoboosted, unelss you are a genji/tracer with blinks/dashes on the ready.
Not to mention that while you are getting frozen in her ult, she can speed up the freezing process using her freeze gun on you.
Even people in tournaments got stuck in the mei ult all the time.
If you are a reaper, you are dead unless you invuln, and while you're doing that you're losing time and giving the enemy team time to think and regroup.

I know, but why is that a counter? Excluding env kills which are so situational to be a non factor, booping them off once or twice during 8 seconds is that big of a deal?
It's a huge deal because the nanoboosted target might never catch up to the enemy as well. The team won't stand still, they will move away from him, all while having time to focus him as he tries to catch up.

Not when they're boosted, not very often. Is he ulting? Sure, I'm Lucio and I'm totally gonna accomplish something by waking up this sleeping ulting dude, but nanoboosted? Haha, fuck you team, I'm outta here, deal with it.

What you're describing aren't really "counters", you're not actually shutting him off, they're mostly "if I do this I'm gonna make him waste 2 seconds maybe". If the whole team focusing on something qualifies as a counter, Genji wouldn't have been nerfed.
We've already seen with Ana's grenade that they're open to abilities that negate others, so "something" that can prevent or stop a nanoboost or similar isn't too far-fetched.
The thing with the sleep is, that due to projectiles being in the game there are a lot of situations that someone has already fired at the target before he was slept.

So i hope you understand why these things are not a ''waste 2 seconds maybe''.

Also I'm getting the vibe that you think ana ult is overpowered. I agree, I hate ana ult and its the number 1 ult I'd like too see changed. There is no reason to have a character in the game that can only be countered by 1 character.

Nimby

Banned
I can't play competitive any more. My season high was mid 2700s and I dropped back down to 2500 so I've quit for a while at least. Don't see how people can keep playing after dropping way more than I have lol

Being a support main in OW is very frustrating.

aeolist

Banned
I can't play competitive any more. My season high was mid 2700s and I dropped back down to 2500 so I've quit for a while at least. Don't see how people can keep playing after dropping way more than I have lol

Being a support main in OW is very frustrating.

after i realized that blizzard's entire method of calculating SR is stupid and arbitrary i was able to focus more on my own play and try to enjoy each game in and of itself. it's way better.

at this point i'm only in comp because the format is better, if they had an unranked comp mode i'd be in that exclusively.

https://www.twitch.tv/polluxoil/videos/highlights

There are some match highlights there - and a few streams I haven't highlighted yet on there as well.

I watched some of your Dorado game in the highlights, which I assume means it was a really good game, and you won. Just a few observations:

-It might be a common thing in that level of play, but the payload seemed completely secondary. You mentioned it a lot and it was slowly moving along but it didn't really seem to matter to anyone. I couldn't even locate where exactly it was a lot of the time. I know you're Reaper (I can't give any tips on how to play him) and supposed to be flanking, but what should be happening is a big team fight near the payload then pushing, another team fight, etc. Watching the kill feed you can usually tell exactly what is happening in the game but in this one I didn't notice a correlation at all. (You killed almost the whole team at one point but still lost the team fight). Or just getting a few picks, and nothing comes of it. Kills that don't help with the objective don't really count for much.

-Go into team chat, and talk to your teammates!

-Use the group up command!

-When you got the third checkpoint you were the only one left alive, you saw the Bastion, wraith formed behind him and were now in the enemy back lines with no way to escape and your team no where near you. Nothing good was going to come from that.

-Not noticing enemy Lucio popped his ult, but also a Bastion was looking right at you. That Death Blossom had a 0% chance to be successful.

-It says in the title that you later played Symmetra, don't.

You seem like a fine individual player. But I saw no team play at all in what I watched.

Just a friendly reminder that Lucio's music is on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/playoverwatch

743349afe840dcc2f36a967f29269c7d.png

My expectations on halloween skins are too high after seeing this fanart.

gabriel-konigsfeld-zenyatta-halloween.jpg

Oh god yes. Blizzard pls.

Prelude.

But if we are talking about normal people, we are talking about 2400-2500 ranks. And in these pubs, people don't play very seriously and frankly can miss the sleep dart incredibly easily. So there is no point in talking about pubs since its basically randomness.
The game is being balanced for all tiers, if there's something that doesn't seem counterable, even if highly skilled players can do it, they'll look into it.
SR means nothing, highly coordinated 6 men stacks are a tiny minority in OW.
And baiting the ana dart is easy as well. And much more safe.
All I really need to do is start harassing her from a safe location or in her face and let my team know she doesn't have it.
And if you communicate with your team, you can coordinate with your ana.
If you know ults are ready, you keep your dart, you don't waste it like that. Just like Zen's ult, you trade it for an ult, but you're gonna get it again in 12 seconds.

Ok, first of all her ult is definently not easy to avoid even when nanoboosted, unelss you are a genji/tracer with blinks/dashes on the ready.
Not to mention that while you are getting frozen in her ult, she can speed up the freezing process using her freeze gun on you.
Even people in tournaments got stuck in the mei ult all the time.
If you are a reaper, you are dead unless you invuln, and while you're doing that you're losing time and giving the enemy team time to think and regroup.
It's pretty easy if you're nb'd, just get out as soon as you hear her voiceline and the speed boost will get you out most of the times. It's a hell of a lot better now, but it's not even remotely reliable. Reaper is not that huge of a threat because he doesn't have a huge health pool + armor, but assuming he wraithforms away, he still has 5 seconds of nanoboost left.
It's a huge deal because the nanoboosted target might never catch up to the enemy as well. The team won't stand still, they will move away from him, all while having time to focus him as he tries to catch up.
Well, that's weak. Lucio will be dead before even booping and Pharah has only one shot that will most likely mildy annoy him.

The thing with the sleep is, that due to projectiles being in the game there are a lot of situations that someone has already fired at the target before he was slept.

So i hope you understand why these things are not a ''waste 2 seconds maybe''.
I still think there's nothing as effective as a sleep dart, especially when you'd trade an ult for that. What if you miss/you don't have it is not a factor, it's not ults economy, it's just cooldowns, you know exactly when you'll get it back.

Also I'm getting the vibe that you think ana ult is overpowered. I agree, I hate ana ult and its the number 1 ult I'd like too see changed. There is no reason to have a character in the game that can only be countered by 1 character.
Not necessarily. I think they should look a bit into the damage reduction because it can get a little ridiculous when you also factor in armor damage reduction, but it's not a huge gameplay problem (especially now that it's been nerfed), it's just a design anomaly. If I want to counter it I can sleep dart or nanoboost someone else in retaliation, but it's always Ana vs Ana. And I mean, even the pro teams reflect that, everything revolves around Ana and there's no reason to not pick her when the enemy team does.

I'm by no means the best Reaper, but the whole "flanking Reaper" thing has to be re-evalutated.

If you're pubstomping, by all means go for wolfing the stray lambs.

But in comp, where the matches tend to be more closely grouped by skill rating, I feel like he's played best by fighting with the team, only extending to secure safe, guaranteed kill clean ups. Positioning near your team so you can try to put the pincer attack on them or to pop your ultimate is the most effective "flank" IMO.

Jellie

I'm by no means the best Reaper, but the whole "flanking Reaper" thing has to be re-evalutated.

If you're pubstomping, by all means go for wolfing the stray lambs.

But in comp, where the matches tend to be more closely grouped by skill rating, I feel like he's played best by fighting with the team, only extending to secure safe, guaranteed kill clean ups. Positioning near your team so you can try to put the pincer attack on them or to pop your ultimate is the most effective "flank" IMO.

Use him to take down the enemies Reinhardts shield down.

I watched some of your Dorado game in the highlights, which I assume means it was a really good game, and you won. Just a few observations:

-It might be a common thing in that level of play, but the payload seemed completely secondary. You mentioned it a lot and it was slowly moving along but it didn't really seem to matter to anyone. I couldn't even locate where exactly it was a lot of the time. I know you're Reaper (I can't give any tips on how to play him) and supposed to be flanking, but what should be happening is a big team fight near the payload then pushing, another team fight, etc. Watching the kill feed you can usually tell exactly what is happening in the game but in this one I didn't notice a correlation at all. (You killed almost the whole team at one point but still lost the team fight). Or just getting a few picks, and nothing comes of it. Kills that don't help with the objective don't really count for much.

-Go into team chat, and talk to your teammates!

-Use the group up command!

-When you got the third checkpoint you were the only one left alive, you saw the Bastion, wraith formed behind him and were now in the enemy back lines with no way to escape and your team no where near you. Nothing good was going to come from that.

-Not noticing enemy Lucio popped his ult, but also a Bastion was looking right at you. That Death Blossom had a 0% chance to be successful.

-It says in the title that you later played Symmetra, don't.

You seem like a fine individual player. But I saw no team play at all in what I watched.

Thanks - I'll have to review that match myself to look for the points you brought up. And yeah, it's really hard to get people to group up on the payload - team battles are less of a thing (especially on payload maps) in the games I play. Lots of problems with trickling. I try to use the group up command more, but I've had times where I'm Lucio, standing in front of spawn, spamming group up, and the Genji will charge past me and not wait for the rest of the team. I had a Zenyatta charge in by himself when I was Reinhardt as well.

Couple other things:

-I do remember that Bastion mistake - not my finest hour. Something about Bastions being able to completely shut my team down gives me tunnel vision into killing the Bastion. I need to work on that.

-One thing I've noticed about myself is I tend to push at inopportune times. I try to flank and get a good ult off, but either my team isn't placed to take advantage of it or I get seen by somebody before I can pull off what I want to do.

-I also need to work on when I should group up and when I should split off for flanking. It seems like every time I group up I end up at the business end of a Graviton Surge or Rip-Tire, so I try to split up, but clearly that's not great either.

-I usually play Symmetra on a few maps on defense because I know how to play as her and I've been in too many games where someone else will play as her and have no idea how to use her - so I lock her in quickly and then switch off if we lose the first point to discourage others from picking her. Dorado, King's Row, Hollywood are the biggest offenders of people thinking they can play Sym and then failing miserably. I can do well with her on those maps, but in general I try not to pick her otherwise.

xaosslug

There are some match highlights there - and a few streams I haven't highlighted yet on there as well.

no offence, but I had to stop watching because you were being a smarmy ass towards your team. >__< I can appreciate that you were frustrated or whatever, but that kind of 'I'm the only one doing work, here!' attitude on mic is detrimental to team morale, and when you got kills you didn't call 'em out so your teammates could know that 'Yosh! the reaper who's been on my ass this entire game is dead? fuck yeah! Let's go!' etc.

so yeah, I would rein in the smarm, and amp up the call-outs in a helpful way.

that said I don't use mic, so what do I know? ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

also, NEVER pick Symm in soloQ she's an instant morale killer. I would only run her if I'm grouping up and peeps trust my play!

Thanks - I'll have to review that match myself to look for the points you brought up. And yeah, it's really hard to get people to group up on the payload - team battles are less of a thing (especially on payload maps) in the games I play. Lots of problems with trickling. I try to use the group up command more, but I've had times where I'm Lucio, standing in front of spawn, spamming group up, and the Genji will charge past me and not wait for the rest of the team. I had a Zenyatta charge in by himself when I was Reinhardt as well.

Couple other things:

-I do remember that Bastion mistake - not my finest hour. Something about Bastions being able to completely shut my team down gives me tunnel vision into killing the Bastion. I need to work on that.

-One thing I've noticed about myself is I tend to push at inopportune times. I try to flank and get a good ult off, but either my team isn't placed to take advantage of it or I get seen by somebody before I can pull off what I want to do.

-I also need to work on when I should group up and when I should split off for flanking. It seems like every time I group up I end up at the business end of a Graviton Surge or Rip-Tire, so I try to split up, but clearly that's not great either.

-I usually play Symmetra on a few maps on defense because I know how to play as her and I've been in too many games where someone else will play as her and have no idea how to use her - so I lock her in quickly and then switch off if we lose the first point to discourage others from picking her. Dorado, King's Row, Hollywood are the biggest offenders of people thinking they can play Sym and then failing miserably. I can do well with her on those maps, but in general I try not to pick her otherwise.
Worth noting of course that if you're having fun then it doesn't matter, just do your thing. But yea, if you want to level up I would definitely say work on the team play aspect. I might have missed it but I didn't see you check if your teammates had ults very often either. Which is essential before a team fight. Basic stuff like that would probably help a lot.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
the proof is everyone who played during the summer event and clicked around in the UI, including myself. plus they've already said that every lootbox's contents is generated when you get it, not when you open it, which was in the context of people saving lootboxes for ana's release.

Okay, that is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I honestly couldn't remember myself, so I was somewhat doubting that they would do that.

Besides everything Vault said about the teamwork (which didn't really seem like it was your fault, but team fault in general).

I found one flaw in your S76 gameplay (I watched 2 clips based on your most used players in overbuff). You're aiming way too low, from what I saw you're aiming around the waist which in theory sounds good because it's obviously the largest part of the body. In reality, you want to aim closer to the chest/head, ESPECIALLY if they're a tank. Getting headshots even if accidental, will increase your damage and final blows dramatically.

Also, if you really want to be a top tier team player (at the sacrifice of gold medals more than likely). Find out who on the enemy team is causing problems with your team, and counter that person.

no offence, but I had to stop watching because you were being a smarmy ass towards your team. >__< I can appreciate that you were frustrated or whatever, but that kind of 'I'm the only one doing work, here!' attitude on mic is detrimental to team morale, and when you got kills you didn't call 'em out so your teammates could know that 'Yosh! the reaper who's been on my ass this entire game is dead? fuck yeah! Let's go!' etc.

so yeah, I would rein in the smarm, and amp up the call-outs in a helpful way.

that said I don't use mic, so what do I know? ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

also, NEVER pick Symm in soloQ she's an instant morale killer. I would only run her if I'm grouping up and peeps trust my play!

Haha. No offense taken - I think the one you were watching was a match I was doing with a friend - she has some social anxiety so we only party together and so I was only bitching to her. I try to only be positive when I'm on a mic in a full team chat, exactly for the reasons of team morale. That's also why I wasn't calling things out much - when you're in a group of two call outs are only semi-helpful.

Also I can't wait for Symmetra buffs/retooling so I can play as her more. I'm good with her, dammit! ;_;

Worth noting of course that if you're having fun then it doesn't matter, just do your thing. But yea, if you want to level up I would definitely say work on the team play aspect. I might have missed it but I didn't see you check if your teammates had ults very often either. Which is essential before a team fight. Basic stuff like that would probably help a lot.

Yeah, ult awareness I'm piss poor at unless I'm Ana or Zarya, which requires coordination. I accidentally blew my Lucio ult once right as a Zarya/Hanzo did a double ult and team killed the other team because I was rushing back to the point. If I'd saved it I may have gave us the edge in the next battle (which we lost and then lost the match).

EDIT:
Besides everything Vault said about the teamwork (which didn't really seem like it was your fault, but team fault in general).

I found one flaw in your S76 gameplay (I watched 2 clips based on your most used players in overbuff). You're aiming way too low, from what I saw you're aiming around the waist which in theory sounds good because it's obviously the largest part of the body. In reality, you want to aim closer to the chest/head, ESPECIALLY if they're a tank. Getting headshots even if accidental, will increase your damage and final blows dramatically.

Thanks for the tip! I do have a habit of aiming center mass a majority of the time because my aiming is okay to good at best. I need to remember to aim up and go for headshots more.

Honestly game sense and awareness are so much more important that mechanical skill at the lower ranks. Headshots are nice but countering/avoiding ults, closing in on kills and protecting teammates contribute a lot more to a win. Get a buddy or two with a headset and get them talking about what's going on throughout the game and what they intend to do about it and you'll see a much less frustrating game than 'why are 3 of us dead already'

Skii

On that Dorado game, you did pretty well as from what I could tell, both teams were absolutely awful. The opposing team wasted so many ults and they constantly made defences at places where there isn't a choke point.

Now let's say you were playing a decent team... Reaper shouldn't be flanking too much. You should group up with your tanks and focus down enemies and then clean up as necessary.

You didn't use much verticality at all with your Reaper ults. A common thing to do is to teleport somewhere high, find the bulk of the opposing team and drop down with your ult. It usually gets you 2-3 kills because it's difficult to counter once you've surprised them. If it forces a defensive ult, that's fine as well because then another ult like Zarya can be used to clean up.

Never fight Hanzo in a corridor with space between you. You have absolutely no chance. The only way you're beating a good Hanzo is in close proximity with jumping. But if you can flank him, even better.

Never use wraith form to move faster. It's just too risky. You should do it to either negotiate heavy fire/ult/near death. You also didn't use teleport at all to close the space between you and the payload. You'd be shaving 2-3 seconds off per run which is vital when you're near the end of a match.

xaosslug

sorry, Jorge. I tried to join but you was already in a match! T__T

Haha. No offense taken - I think the one you were watching was a match I was doing with a friend - she has some social anxiety so we only party together and so I was only bitching to her. I try to only be positive when I'm on a mic in a full team chat, exactly for the reasons of team morale. That's also why I wasn't calling things out much - when you're in a group of two call outs are only semi-helpful.

Also I can't wait for Symmetra buffs/retooling so I can play as her more. I'm good with her, dammit! ;_;

ahh, well that makes sense. LOL And yeah, Symm gets no love. You can help the entire team respawn quick, have a teleporter up time card at the end, and you will still catch flak if the match is lost. -__-

The new meta.

CuGZ4yOUAAAaCqv.jpg

i wish characters could transport each other... it would be cool if a Zarya could jump on Rein's back and they could charge into battle together, or something. Or an Zenny could jump on D.Va and they could boost inside enemy territory together, or something. LOL

On that Dorado game, you did pretty well as from what I could tell, both teams were absolutely awful. The opposing team wasted so many ults and they constantly made defences at places where there isn't a choke point.

Now let's say you were playing a decent team... Reaper shouldn't be flanking too much. You should group up with your tanks and focus down enemies and then clean up as necessary.

You didn't use much verticality at all with your Reaper ults. A common thing to do is to teleport somewhere high, find the bulk of the opposing team and drop down with your ult. It usually gets you 2-3 kills because it's difficult to counter once you've surprised them. If it forces a defensive ult, that's fine as well because then another ult like Zarya can be used to clean up.

Never fight Hanzo in a corridor with space between you. You have absolutely no chance. The only way you're beating a good Hanzo is in close proximity with jumping. But if you can flank him, even better.

Never use wraith form to move faster. It's just too risky. You should do it to either negotiate heavy fire/ult/near death. You also didn't use teleport at all to close the space between you and the payload. You'd be shaving 2-3 seconds off per run which is vital when you're near the end of a match.

Thanks.. I usually play Reaper as flanking but I guess it does make more sense for him to hang out near the point to pick people off. I've definitely had more success with him on KOTH maps where I hang around the point and try to surprise people trying to flank when recapturing. I also have gotten more used to going vertical with him since that match - I was primarily Soldier/Tracer before picking him up to use more often, so I didn't really consider all my options on approach for ults.

Does the teleport actually shave off enough time to be useful on a run back? I felt like with the startup + finish animations, unless you're able to go max distance it doesn't really help time wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom