• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

Is there a PS4 GAF Overwatch community? I found one by searching but it doesn't seem very active. I generally play Quick Match but would like to play with some sort of teamwork/communication.

DevilDog

I know that Mei and Mercy have their personal exchanges about being forever young, but I'm surprised that none of the other heroes mentioned how unsettling it is that Mercy is basically immortal.

Mercy can raise people from the dead, tracer can control the very fabric of time and space and symmetra can create mass from thin air breaking every law in the universe, and you find mercy's immortality unsettling?

Good to see that they build the lore around the gameplay, and not the other way around.

maomaoIYP

Most of my favourite heroes are F tier :( I guess that's why I'm sucking then?

I tried being Soldier when someone told me to change out of Junkrat in a match today. We lost.

EDIT: oh wait, Soldier is F tier too :(

If you're playing exclusively F-tier heroes in competitive, that might be a problem, yes. While none of us are pros or play at that level, most of the F-tier heroes are there for a reason, and it's mostly that they lack consistent utility and/or are outclassed by other similar but better heroes.

I wish people would stop worrying so much about tier lists and what the pros play. None of us are pros, and if you can play a character pretty damn well, you might as well stick with it rather than switching to whatever the hell the pro-meta is, especially if you can't play any of the characters that the pros play.

ohkay

I tried being Soldier when someone told me to change out of Junkrat in a match today. We lost.

I wouldn't take the tier lists too seriously at your level, but there are more effective heroes than what you're using. Certain characters are high tier, but have a relatively high skill floor, and their presence edges out other characters. The reason why soldier is F tier is because McCree is a much more efficient hitscan dps so he is selected in tournaments more, but he requires pretty good aim, while soldier is more lenient in that respect because he can spray

Blues1990

McCree does his job much better as mid range dps, his ult zones people out, and is a hard counter to flankers.

76 would be much higher if the cowboy wasn't in the game.

It's true that taking on McCree alone is highly ill-advised, but he has some hard counters to keep him at bay. Mainly from the three residential tank heroes (Zarya, Reinhardt, and Winston), and Ana's Sleep Dart famously counters McCree's Deadeye.

Really, I haven't had much issue with dealing with this Man with No Name knock-off, and shocked that he's so high on the pecking order.

Mercy can raise people from the dead, tracer can control the very fabric of time and space and symmetra can create mass from thin air breaking every law in the universe, and you find mercy's immortality unsettling?

Good to see that they build the lore around the gameplay, and not the other way around.

Well, Tracer has limits with her time abilities (if her Chrono Accelerator goes kaput, she goes bye-bye), and Symmetra's hard light technology is pretty badass. But thank you for mentioning Mercy's resurrection ability, as that is also another freaky ability from the residential necromancer.

Prelude.

You'd think Soldier 76 would be in the C-Tier, given that he's pretty well-rounded.
He's terrible at burst damage, which is what you really need if you're not against a team of squishies. His 120 damage rocket is on an 8 seconds cooldown, while McCree can deal pretty much the same damage with a headshot of his left click, so currently, there's no reason to pick him over McCree unless you're at a low level, since Soldier is self-sustaining while McCree needs tanks to protect him.

That chart reflects the pro play anyway, so it's the most efficient/streamlined way of playing it with a coordinated team, not the only one that can work.

xaosslug

to be fair Tracer & Symm have 'tools' that help them do all that meanwhile Mercy's just a witch/mutant w/ her abilities. LOL

How do you know it has a larger population?
For one the wait times are definitely shorter on PC, it's cheaper on PC, it's Blizzard, the GAF overwatch user ID list has way more PC players than either console(you can check the OP for yourself), and the large majority of Overwatch streamers are playing on PC.

xaosslug

I wish people would stop worrying so much about tier lists and what the pros play. None of us are pros, and if you can play a character pretty damn well, you might as well stick with it rather than switching to whatever the hell the pro-meta is, especially if you can't play any of the characters that the pros play.

but the reality is (esp. on PC) there are players that DO monitor tier lists/composition, and that shit DOES work. You can try to run an above average 3/3 vs 2/2/2, but even if the 2/2/2 team is decent they will stomp your above average 3/3, just because 2/2/2 works so well.

so yeah, tho I do agree w/ you, to an extent, peeps need to consider that they will face opponents that do follow tier lists and take team composition very seriously...

maomaoIYP

but the reality is (esp. on PC) there are players that DO monitor tier lists/composition, and that shit DOES work. You can try to run an above average 3/3 vs 2/2/2, but even if the 2/2/2 team is decent they will stomp your above average 3/3, just because 2/2/2 works so well.

so yeah, tho I do agree w/ you, to an extent, peeps need to consider that they will face opponents that do follow tier lists and take team composition very seriously...

The meta obviously works if you know what you're doing, but it's pointless if you're not capable of playing those characters in the first place, especially if you're a solo queue player. It's like having an Ana who can't aim or a Reinhardt who doesn't nothing but charge in.

komaruR

You got any recordings of your gameplay?

finalflame

You should focus on getting better at heroes that are not F-tier. No, we're not pros, but there's a reason the pros don't use those heroes -- because they're trash in most situations.

Sorry, but playing torb on defense is usually going to lose your team the game unless you are much, much better than the average Torb. Newsflash: you're not! Stop maining bastion. Stop maining Torb. Stop ruining other people's games because you can't be competent at heroes that are capable of winning games.

Some heroes in the F-tier list are less trash, though, like Mercy and D.Va.

At least once you're playing at decently high/above average SR, this is the case.

Anyways, Mei is cancer.

ohkay

Some heroes in the F-tier list are less trash, though, like Mercy and D.Va
This is what people need to realize about tier lists. Just because a character is F tier doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, there's just another character that's more efficient than them or other characters are pushing them out of the meta. Like Pharah: she is still a very good character, there's just a lot of counters to her. If those counters aren't present then Pharah is a good choice

xaosslug

The meta obviously works if you know what you're doing, but it's pointless if you're not capable of playing those characters in the first place, especially if you're a solo queue player. It's like having an Ana who can't aim or a Reinhardt who doesn't nothing but charge in.

i'm not really disagreeing w/ you. I mean as non-pro players we shouldn't let our play/enjoyment be dictated by the pro meta. But at the same time peeps have to keep in mind that is does work and there are players out there that do follow it, and you will probably face them in battle... so, if you (not you specifically) are having difficulty climbing it's certainly something to consider!

Anyway, Mei is cancer.

if this wasn't clear before, Arcade learned us all!

finalflame

i'm not really disagreeing w/ you. I mean as non-pro players we shouldn't let our play/enjoyment be dictated by the pro meta. But at the same time peeps have to keep in mind that is does work and there are players out there that do follow it, and you will probably face them in battle... so, if you (not you specifically) are having difficulty climbing it's certainly something to consider!

Enjoyment belongs in QP, where you can play whatever comp you want. I agree with the other points, though, that it's better to have someone play something they're comfortable/good at rather than force them to play a hero with which they are inexperienced. What I'm saying is if you're ONLY experienced at heroes in the F-tier list, and want to play competitive, you should go practice the heroes in S-C outside comp.

Wat8.jpg
lmao for some reason my brain thought "movement ability" and wrote that out as mobility movement.

...i'm fine

anyone from asia wanna play?

Sublime #6909

I'm only at 2840(not my career high) or someshit. Still cant get that diamond. I mostly just fuck around in QP, though.

MGrant

I did a Facebook one recently but I have no idea if Facebook saves those, I guess I need to set up OBS again so I can twitch.

EDIT: in fact I guess I'll do that now. http://twitch.tv/danj2k

Hey I'm watching some of your Reaper now. You did a good job getting on some of the flanks, but I see a lot of shooting from waaaaay beyond Reaper's effective range, and you seem to be unloading the entire clip every time you fire, even if you don't have a good target. What you should try is getting set up on the flank, waiting for your team to start fighting first, then Shadow Step behind the enemy team and attack very close. Reaper only does damage up close.

Save your E for getting into good position to attack the enemy team or getting back faster from spawn, not so much to escape. Save your LShift for escaping enemies only, not for moving faster. Use R to reload whenever you have downtime. Also, make sure you're waiting for your team to get together and start a fight before you go in.

LMAO

Although watching yesterday, they are already starting to counter nano Reaper very efficiently. Love to see the meta constantly evolve. Just a few weeks ago Reinhardt was getting the boosts. Wonder who will be getting it next.
I'm surprised teams haven't tried nano boosting a high charge Zarya. Imagine the damage potential there.

xaosslug

Enjoyment belongs in QP, where you can play whatever comp you want. I agree with the other points, though, that it's better to have someone play something they're comfortable/good at rather than force them to play a hero with which they are inexperienced. What I'm saying is if you're ONLY experienced at heroes in the F-tier list, and want to play competitive, you should go practice the heroes in S-C outside comp.

enjoyment in quick play.

enjoyment...

quick play.

WHA6YZY.gif

cyborg009

Banned
Damn after such a long time I finally got a new season at 2582 after falling down in low 1900's. Also people really shouldn't doubt the attack bastion. On king's Row I pretty much laid waste to the enemy team..

*dies*-> Mercy Resurrection-> tank mode-> nano boost-> Victory

MFW:
xqfQFIp.gif

I'm surprised teams haven't tried nano boosting a high charge Zarya. Imagine the damage potential there.

One of the biggest problems is that people are getting so fucking good with the sleep dart. Shake was a god at it yesterday. Maybe they'll just Nano boost tracer or something and let her go crazy for 10 seconds (almost) impervious to the sleep dart.

Or maybe Ana will stop being in every single game, especially after the ult nerf (I doubt it) we'll see.

MGrant

anyone from asia wanna play?

Sublime #6909

I'm only at 2840(not my career high) or someshit. Still cant get that diamond. I mostly just fuck around in QP, though.

I'm heading to bed, but I'll play sometime. Add me, JoeBiden#1630. I usually play in the evenings/at night.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Does Reaper not count as being on the point when he is Wraith Walking? We just lost a game with a Reaper standing on the cart and we can't figure out how the attacking team was able to keep pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom