• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbaFadi

Banned
Overwatch_%20Origins%20Edition_20161009074016_zpszbnxor6r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Getting somewhat close to grandmaster. So glad I went from a D.Va main to a Zarya main.

Prelude.

Playing the mystery hero brawl really helps you see that most people don't have any fundamentals in playing multiple heroes.
The last time I played it I was in the last stretch of Eichenwalde defense and this fucking Mercy just stayed immobile in the corner using her heal only when people took damage. Literally doing nothing, not moving, not damage boosting, she stood there and when someone needed healing she held M1 and then stop.

caesar

Banned
Well here's the first two of 5 games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_y8biX5YZw
Gained 50 here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEucxEK06Xo
Gained 2 here.
Anything you can see to improve on?

Watched the route 66 game. Some general comments:

- team should be on the gas station but ok. Zen out of position and dies instantly. Soldier out gets killed by attack junkrat. Zarya standing up top on her own and not shielding teammates.

- nice sleep dart on genji.

- kinda hard to get a lot from the game as the enemy team seemed bad. On the 2nd point you had better positioning on top of the bridge. Unfortunately no great nano boost targets.

Jellie

- team should be on the gas station but ok. Zen out of position and dies instantly. Soldier out gets killed by attack junkrat. Zarya standing up top on her own and not shielding teammates.

- kinda hard to get a lot from the game as the enemy team seemed bad. On the 2nd point you had better positioning on top of the bridge. Unfortunately no great nano boost targets.

-Pretty much summarised by solo queue. I was on the gas station but everybody went to the spawn so have to get into LOS with them. :(
-Thanks, pretty bad genji though.
-Got another Ana game uploaded which had better targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYpbN2JTEs4
I know, shouldn't have typed into chat about genji, but I don't have a working mic and thought I had a few seconds to do it safely since he went upstairs.

Got two more games uploading but they will take two hours each I think. One with Ana where I lost and one with Zarya when I won and are both longer so should be able to get decent critique.

You really think teams are gonna do pro stats at his rank, which is currently, what, 2600?

I'm at Diamond rank on console and the few times I've seen teams try pro strats, it doesn't work.

Unless you're Master rank or above, don't even bother with pro starts.

Or if you're 6 queueing.

Plesiades

So you guys think Zarya and D.va won't get new skins for Halloween? Shame.

They could get an Epic tier recolor. I wonder how that will work though. For the Summer Games it was easy: just use their respective flag colors.

Maybe we will have more that 3 Legendaries this time, making skins more rare. If that's the case, the "Brawl coins" could balance that out.

Azoor

They could get an Epic tier recolor. I wonder how that will work though. For the Summer Games it was easy: just use their respective flag colors.

Maybe we will have more that 3 Legendaries this time, making skins more rare. If that's the case, the "Brawl coins" could balance that out.

Maybe they'll get more voicelines and sprays too.

Fancolors

Are you running it on a Raspberry Pi?

That's the best skin btw.

Nah, I'm runnning this game in a 940m i5 laptop. I can run it at 60 fps at fullscreen with most of the settings on medium, but I like the convenience of the borderless windowed mode. Since I can't run OW at these settings on medium without some weird micro-stutter, I bumped everything down.

I played most of TF2 with dx8, so I'm okay with this.

-Pretty much summarised by solo queue. I was on the gas station but everybody went to the spawn so have to get into LOS with them. :(
-Thanks, pretty bad genji though.
-Got another Ana game uploaded which had better targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYpbN2JTEs4
I know, shouldn't have typed into chat about genji, but I don't have a working mic and thought I had a few seconds to do it safely since he went upstairs.

Got two more games uploading but they will take two hours each I think. One with Ana where I lost and one with Zarya when I won and are both longer so should be able to get decent critique.

One thing I noticed is that you're more of a longer range Ana and do a lot more sniping for both DPS and heals. Sniping is safe, but it's a lot harder to get into position to heal everyone. There's quite a few shots that were better done with hip fire than snipe just for speed sake. Sniping also tunnel visions you and you can miss the big picture which Ana really needs to have almost constantly.

Also, and you're not the only one that doesn't really do this. Try to get as many people in your grenade AOE when you self heal. If you're near allies get them in it. If the enemy is near, get them in it. Get more bang for the buck. Just a slight change in the throw angle can heal you and do a lot more in the immediate engagement.

Also keep an eye on your sleep dart cooldown. There were a few instances you had a sleep dart ready and it could've saved you but you didn't fire it.

Aside from that there isn't much more I can add.

Jellie

One thing I noticed is that you're more of a longer range Ana and do a lot more sniping for both DPS and heals. Sniping is safe, but it's a lot harder to get into position to heal everyone. There's quite a few shots that were better done with hip fire than snipe just for speed sake. Sniping also tunnel visions you and you can miss the big picture which Ana really needs to have almost constantly.

Also, and you're not the only one that doesn't really do this. Try to get as many people in your grenade AOE when you self heal. If you're near allies get them in it. If the enemy is near, get them in it. Get more bang for the buck. Just a slight change in the throw angle can heal you and do a lot more in the immediate engagement.

Also keep an eye on your sleep dart cooldown. There were a few instances you had a sleep dart ready and it could've saved you but you didn't fire it.

Aside from that there isn't much more I can add.

I felt like I kinda mix between sniping and hip. On Route 66 it was mostly sniping but hollywood I was closer and using hip firing.

The grenade is a good tip. Didn't really consider that. The grenade buff might help me to do that more often too. I do use it on enemies and myself when I can but I have to consider if it's viable or not to. Eg not going to get close to a reaper.

Yeah I need to manage cool downs more. I think in the hollywood game I looked at the floor to grenade myself against genji but I had 2 seconds left while my sleep dart was available. Luckily he ran away but he should have killed me and I was lucky.

caesar

Banned
You really think teams are gonna do pro stats at his rank, which is currently, what, 2600?

I'm at Diamond rank on console and the few times I've seen teams try pro strats, it doesn't work.

Unless you're Master rank or above, don't even bother with pro starts.

Or if you're 6 queueing.

Taking the high ground isnt 'pro', its just getting an easy advantage.

KyleCross

If it's on KOTH, I'll happily watch the Mercy fall to her death. It'll hopefully encourage them to pick a real healer for KOTH.

Why the hate for Mercy on KOTH? I do it all the time and she does well. Maybe people are just shit with Mercy.

Why the hate for Mercy on KOTH? I do it all the time and she does well. Maybe people are just shit with Mercy.
It's way too easy to kill Mercy in KotH. She's only really useful if her team can protect her, and I'd rather play/have a Lucio or Zenyatta at that point.

Skii

Lucio, Ana and Zenyatta are far better supports for KOTH because they provide so much more offensive potential. KOTH is all about DPS and having a Mercy on your team is like playing 5v6. Even when you get the 4 man res off, the opposing team will just clean up again because everyone is so close range. This is all providing you even manage to survive to do a res which is extremely unlikely against a good team.

Kito

In the freak occurrence that no one takes Lucio on koth, Mercy can work. Most of the time there will be a Lucio though, and thus playing with Mercy + Lucio is going to severely impair your team's dps.

Blues1990

I'm all for the tank heroes being varied, so long as they excel at the goal of protecting allies and disrupting enemies. Reinhardt is the more traditional tank, Roadhog is a flanker, Winston disrupts & scatters, & Zarya is a complementary powerhouse that can cleave through enemy teams with ease.

D.Va is a weird duck, as she's in this middle-ground where she shifts between as a backup DPS and defensive tank. She can act as a solid ganker, but the problem is D.Va can't secure kills or protect the team as well as the other tank heroes. She also doesn't do DPS or defense very well, and it doesn't help that her Defense Matrix has been neutered (again), as that shield was an important part of her tool kit. I'm unsure with how this character can be properly buffed without throwing things out of whack, but I definitely want D.Va to be viable again.

Tbh I'd want to see Dva be able to get more push in her boost. Make it like Rein's where a missed charge people go flying. She needs that kind of scatter.

If Winston is more distraction/disruption, Dva can be more break and isolate. Split the enemy team, and pick one person you want to kill after splitting them up.

Skii

In the freak occurrence that no one takes Lucio on koth, Mercy can work. Most of the time there will be a Lucio though, and thus playing with Mercy + Lucio is going to severely impair your team's dps.

Mercy as a solo healer is the absolute worst. The opposing team will work that out before the control point is even open and will relentlessly pursue her. DPS/Tank will even happily trade 1v1 for a solo healing Mercy because a team with healing easily beats a team without one.

Anyone willing to share some tips for Zarya?
Feels like I die super quick when I use her.

I get the gist of her kit, shield teammates for protection and to boost my damage. Shield myself for the same reasons.

Should I play aggressive, conservative?

Platform is ps4, mid gold if that helps

DevilDog

I get the gist of her kit, shield teammates for protection and to boost my damage. Shield myself for the same reasons.

Play conservative, especially when you're just starting to get used to her. Sooner or later you'll start being a little bit more aggressive at moments, and you'll figure out when she's good or not.

Also when some time has passed save your shields for countering ults or just saving teammates in general.

antitrop

I play Zarya like I'm fucking invincible. If you have the confidence, you'll make the plays.

She has one of he longest charging Ults in the game, though, so a lot of it comes down to saving them for effective wombo combos.

Jellie

Platform is ps4, mid gold if that helps

You are most vunerable when you just use your shields. Use them to build up charge initially by retreating when you are on cool down and then shielding. Use them reactively, not predidctively. Once you are high charge save your projected shields to save your teammates instead of to build charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom