• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So painful and demoralizing when you are reminded time and time again how stupid and situational deaf huge majority of OW players are. I swear 4 out of 5 players don't even have game sound turned on when watching how much people ignore LOUD and OBVIOUS audio hints on top of all huge visual markers. Then there is your usual mass that won't or just can't swap heroes to fit situation because that initial Hanzo pick is just TOO cool!

Console I assume? I'd imagine Spotify on PS4 and the XB1 background music update have a lot to do with this.

NeoRaider

I think that D.VA is becoming my favorite hero tbh.

It feels so good when you get quintuple or full team with her Ulti. Yeah it's rare now but it's amazing. And overall she is such well done character.

I LOVE when she says: "A giant gorilla! Just like in those old video games!" To Winston. Lmao, Queen!

Edit: Actually just saw that D.VA is my most played hero now. She took Pharah off the throne.

So my team has all golds and the enemy has 4 plats and 2 golds, yet somehow the game claims that out SR is higher. How does that make any sense? Of course we get blown to hell in that match.

antitrop

So my team has all golds and the enemy has 4 plats and 2 golds, yet somehow the game claims that out SR is higher. How does that make any sense? Of course we get blown to hell in that match.
Because the Plats on their team dipped below 2500, but it still keeps the icon of your highest achieved tier.

They could have got like 2510 and then went on a huge losing streak.

Skii

Is there anyway to stop tearing on unlocked frame rate? I've found that there's a lot less input lag with unlocked (240fps) vs vsync on my 60fps monitor. The tearing isn't that bad but slightly annoying.

Tovarisc

Console I assume? I'd imagine Spotify on PS4 and the XB1 background music update have a lot to do with this.

PC. Huge majority just don't hear shit and very few pay any attention to what is going on.

I hate never rez mercys. JUST USE IT FFS

9 times out of 10 it's waste to res 1-2 players. Especially if competing against heal stance Lucio or good Ana, makes getting ult back take forever.

antitrop

Is there anyway to stop tearing on unlocked frame rate? I've found that there's a lot less input lag with unlocked (240fps) vs vsync on my 60fps monitor. The tearing isn't that bad but slightly annoying.
Buy a gsync monitor. I play with vsync off on my 60Hz and put up with the tearing, but ive been thinking about getting a 144Hz gsync.

cyborg009

Banned
Did you have three tanks? That's a legit team comp.

no had a Pharah as the only DPS and a Reinhardt and roadhog as tanks. So support was Symmetra, Zen and mercy. This was on defend on hanamura. Then the enemy team tried to do the same thing and failed.

VsVScGE.jpg

9 times out of 10 it's waste to res 1-2 players. Especially if competing against heal stance Lucio or good Ana, makes getting ult back take forever.

Her ult gain is pretty fast, though. For sure if it's one that quick swaps to the pistol in down times during advances to land easy shots.

Those 2 players can be the make or break for a point. If the other team is coordinated, they'll try to stagger kills anyway, especially during clean up kills.

Why not just play with it on?

VSYNC caps it at your monitor's refresh rate, in this case, 60fps. So, he/she will feel more input than if they let FPS run free.

Tovarisc

Also this matchmaking is still joke, after months of beta and then release. When game keeps giving you game after game that are such rolfstomps that you are sore for days after few hours of OW it stops being "Well, someone has off day so you get stomped in one game here and there".

Edit: Where is actually even games where one team isn't getting its head bashed in 100 - 0?

Skii

Buy a gsync monitor. I play with vsync off on my 60Hz and put up with the tearing, but ive been thinking about getting a 144Hz gsync.

Too expensive. I might just go for a 144Hz panel but there aren't any that are IPS at 1080p :(

no had a Pharah as the only DPS and a Reinhardt and roadhog as tanks. So support was Symmetra, Zen and mercy. This was on defend on hanamura. Then the enemy team tried to do the same thing and failed.

Symmetra isn't a support lol. She's a defence hero pretending to be useful.

antitrop

Did you test it with on/off? I mean is difference huge? I almost never notice these things. lol
It's not huge, but it is a noticeable difference.

I would recommend anyone to at least try playing a game with it off and see if the tearing is worth it for the increased responsiveness.

NeoRaider

^ Will try it. I am playing on 60Hz TV.

With good team Symmetra can be very useful.

I honestly don't understand why so many ppl find Symmetra pointless. It's sad.

Turrets: die insantly

Teleporter: die instantly if other team is half decent

Shields: what shields? I never noticed them XD

Her weapon doesn't make up for how worthless the rest of her kit is right now.

It's not like we are saying she's worthless just for the heck of it. It's because she's actually worthless for the most part.

But not as worthless as Torb.

aeolist

Banned

she can be, but i see it succeed maybe 10% of the time. a success rate like that means she's garbage.

antitrop

Anything Symmetra can do, someone else can do better. She's like the Soldier 76 of supports. (WIthout the advantage of being more newb friendly than McCree)

I've honestly found competitive so much better when just playing a few matches a day on PS4.
I've got a gradual recovery climb going.

And that feel when you take KotH 3-0 as gold kills Winston, play of the game and whacking dudes off cliffs, god damn that was fun.
Not even a reaper and a zen could stop my monkey magic.

NeoRaider

Turrets: die insantly

Teleporter: die instantly if other team is half decent

Shields: what shields? I never noticed them XD

Her weapon doesn't make up for how worthless the rest of her kit is right now.

It's not like we are saying she's worthless just for the heck of it. It's because she's actually worthless for the most part.

But not as worthless as Torb.

I disagree. I am having more than 20 kills with her sometimes and on some points/maps i am very successful in stopping the opposite team. Yeah she can be better and i hope that she will become next month, but Symmetra is very helpful with her teleporter and turrets.

I disagree. I am having more than 20 kills with her sometimes and on some points/maps i am very successful in stopping the opposite team. Yeah she can be better and i hope that she will become next month, but Symmetra is very helpful with her teleporter and turrets.
Again, a competent team will dispatch of your turrets and TPs immediately. A Winston makes that guaranteed.

Any other hero except Torb and Widow would be a better pick for the team, unless you are a pro with that character.

Think I kind of smurfed a bit tonight? Playing the brawl with my friend, who is level 20, but I joined his match mid game and everyone in these games is less than level 100. I've had POTG three times in a row, lol

NeoRaider

she can be, but i see it succeed maybe 10% of the time. a success rate like that means she's garbage.

No, it means that team is not doing anything to help her and protect her. They basically don't care about her.

So many times when i was playing Symmetra i had comments like(mostly with randoms) : "Pfff Symmetra", "Change that garbage", "She is pointless"... And similar. That's why i am not using her more, i feel bad.

No, it means that team is not doing anything to help her and protect her. They basically don't care about her.

So many times when i was playing Symmetra i had comments like(mostly with randoms) : "Pfff Symmetra", "Change that garbage", "She is pointless"... And similar. That's why i am not using her more, i feel bad.
Your team doesn't affect how good the other team is at destroying your gadgets. A Winston basically makes you pointless because he makes the turrets impossible to use.

It doesn't help that her shields are probably the worst ability in the game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Problem is, like bastion, you really do have to build your team around her for her to be somewhat successful. Her shield is nearly negligible outside of tracer or something, her attacks are laughable at any mid to high level, and if you need someone to babysit teleport because good teams will know to find and destroy it, you're essentially asking the team to fight 5v6.

aeolist

Banned
Think I kind of smurfed a bit tonight? Playing the brawl with my friend, who is level 20, but I joined his match mid game and everyone in these games is less than level 100. I've had POTG three times in a row, lol

i was brawling with some plat friends yesterday and we got completely destroyed by a 4-stack that got rein and genji (who didn't die at all so they were on those the whole time)

out of curiosity i checked their profiles and sure enough those two were master rank at around 3700 grouping with some gold players

my guess is that happens fairly often since they can't comp queue together

Prelude.

Borderless windowed mode should have no tearing with vsync off. I have it like that.

Nimby

Banned
I hate never rez mercys. JUST USE IT FFS

The only time a Mercy should use res is when:

1) A key member of the team has died and you KNOW the battle will fall apart without them
-or-
2) When the whole team has been wiped

This "don't hold on to your ult" talk doesn't really hold true for supports, except Ana and Symmetra sorta. If you ult at the wrong time as Lucio, Zen, and Mercy you delayed the enemy team slightly but it's not worth risking these ults in random situations as to potentially use them and successfully hold or capture an objective.

Symmetra is definitely in a tough spot, I feel she is a bit understated but not to the point where I always feel confident having her on my team. Her abilities are good for first point defense and not much else, not even 'good' just competent. Mei and Junkrat get picked more at these points because they are just better. It just boils down to her not really being a 'support' and more or less a barebones defense. Mei and Junkrat can delay enemies for some time, and potentially hold them entirely, but Symmetra's setup is just too easily countered.

Glad that Blizzard is looking into making her stronger, and across all modes too. Hope she can stay support too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

That sort of lies in with the problems she has. Her TP basically needs someone watching it or it'll go down, sym herself putting turrets by it won't stop anything but alert her a few seconds before that it's going down. But Overwatch is very team fight heavy, so you can't just have a person off the front lines standing over to cover it. It's actually best used after everyone died, where you drop it right as everyone spawns so they can rush back into a fight, but that relies on Sym not getting picked off and is essentially just a worse Res, but her kit isn't good enough to be worth that.

Her turrets have a pathetic 1hp and die to ANYTHING, and even though they're best put in chokes they can just randomly die because of choke spam like zarya alt fire which wipes your sentries which are on a long cooldown. Her shields are the lowest impact ability in the game, and basically all she's offering from that point is charged orbs through a choke point.

When the game came out I used to play Symmetra all the time. I used to be top 1,000 with her and would basically always pick her on Defense. But as you fight more coordinated people her usefulness drops off a cliff, her turrets, TP and even her close range beam all basically take advantage of uncoordinated teams.

Anything Symmetra can do, someone else can do better. She's like the Soldier 76 of supports. (WIthout the advantage of being more newb friendly than McCree)

I like 76, but only play him if my team needs another healer but lacks DPS, needless to say I'm forced to play him a lot. lol

Skii

Your team doesn't affect how good the other team is at destroying your gadgets. A Winston basically makes you pointless because he makes the turrets impossible to use.

It doesn't help that her shields are probably the worst ability in the game.

The problem with Symettra is her abilities are just passive. Her turrets are passive, her shields are passive. There is very little active contribution from Symettra in a game and that's the problem. Instead of her, you could be getting active healing from harmony/amp up or active offense from discord/speed boost.

They need to give Symettra an ability where she has control over what she's doing. I don't mind the turrets but get rid of the shields. Give her a proper disruption ability or a proper supporting ability.

It's the same problem with Torb as well. His Turret is passive but at least he can use molten core to make an actual difference when a team fight happens.

Borderless windowed mode should have no tearing with vsync off. I have it like that.

Really? I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Well if they gave a Torb his turret damage back on console, he would probably be viable again there. Can't say for PC though.

They should replace her shields with some healing ability, otherwise, take her out of the support category and change it to healers.

You know those days when you just can't play worth anything? Does anyone know what's actually going on with you when that happens? I'd imagine it's a mental thing where you just can't focus properly, but I dunno. Having one of those days today.

cyborg009

Banned
Too expensive. I might just go for a 144Hz panel but there aren't any that are IPS at 1080p :(

A lot of heroes have outliners in the classes. Like Mei being considered a tank or RoadHog or D.Va being consider more of DPS than tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom