• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuffyZoro

The team I was with was wrecking shop in the medium brawl, but once we tried hard everything became impossible. Roadhog is terrible and Junkenstein seems to have bombs everywhere at once.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I'm trying not to hate on Mei as much even though she's still evil, but can I just ask for 1 change?

Her armor lock ability. I think it's bullshit that there's no actual counter to it. When she armor locks, there is literally nothing you can do except wait her out. It's not a fun mechanic.

Change SOMETHING about it. How about she doesn't regain health for no reason while she does it? Or maybe just have it movable, so if she armor locks, I can atleast hit her off a checkpoint if I have a weapon that makes a blast or something.

Or how about you atleast make her commit to whatever time slot in the ice? That way, I can atleast play around it. I've had so many instances where I get stabbed in the back just because she armor locks. If I turn around, then she just comes out and kills me. It doesn't feel like a fun or fair situation when, being stuck between two players, gives me literally NO option for any possible evasion. So if she's going to armor lock, I should be able to survey my surroundings while I mentally wait the 8 seconds she stays in her little cacoon without worrying that she's going to emerge prematurely.

I just find it frustrating that if she ice cacoons herself, there is NOTHING I can do about her. I just want there to be SOME kind of countermove. Anything.

Jarate

Banned
SAVE YOUR ULTS FOR THE ELITES

McCree ults especially can do ludicrous damage to mercy and Reaper during these parts. I dont know why people think it's a good idea to use their ults outside of the actual character spawns

Okay, I'm trying not to hate on Mei as much even though she's still evil, but can I just ask for 1 change?

Her armor lock ability. I think it's bullshit that there's no actual counter to it. When she armor locks, there is literally nothing you can do except wait her out. It's not a fun mechanic.

Change SOMETHING about it. How about she doesn't regain health for no reason while she does it? Or maybe just have it movable, so if she armor locks, I can atleast hit her off a checkpoint if I have a weapon that makes a blast or something.

Or how about you atleast make her commit to whatever time slot she decides to pick. That way, I can atleast play around it. I've had so many instances where I get stabbed in the back just because she armor locks. If I turn around, then she just comes out and kills me. It doesn't feel like a fun or fair situation when, being stuck between two players, gives me literally NO option for any possible evasion. So if she's going to armor lock, I should be able to survey my surroundings while I mentally wait the 8 seconds she stays in her little cacoon without worrying that she's going to emerge prematurely.

I just find it frustrating that if she ice cacoons herself, there is NOTHING I can do about her. I just want there to be SOME kind of countermove. Anything.

Counter move, stand next to it with a teammate, or just solo with the bunch of different character that can all annihilate her and just murder her face once she escapes. It's really easy to kill Mei's coming out of this.

MG310

Or how about you atleast make her commit to whatever time slot she decides to pick. That way, I can atleast play around it. I've had so many instances where I get stabbed in the back just because she armor locks. If I turn around, then she just comes out and kills me. It doesn't feel like a fun or fair situation when, being stuck between two players, gives me literally NO option for any possible evasion. So if she's going to armor lock, I should be able to survey my surroundings while I mentally wait the 8 seconds she stays in her little cacoon without worrying that she's going to emerge prematurely.

The timing lines up nicely with how long it takes Zenyatta to fully charge an orb volley at least.

Pretty good day, went up 3 levels and the only 2 awful games were one disorganized Volksaya where we lost 1-0 and the self-killing teammate on Nepal I mentioned earlier.

Veelk

Banned
Counter move, stand next to it with a teammate, or just solo with the bunch of different character that can all annihilate her and just murder her face once she escapes. It's really easy to kill Mei's coming out of this.

You're talking about ideal situations that permit just those circumstances. In the middle of battle, everyone is busy with someone and I can't just call someone over in 8 seconds time. As for switching character, what if you are playing someone who's required a required pick like a Lucio or Reinhardt? If it's a circumstance like that, Mei stalling isn't an actual problem anyway.

I'm not saying Mei is overpowered or anything, not even this particular move. But a move without a reasonable counter is simply not fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Or how about you atleast make her commit to whatever time slot in the ice? That way, I can atleast play around it. I've had so many instances where I get stabbed in the back just because she armor locks. If I turn around, then she just comes out and kills me. It doesn't feel like a fun or fair situation when, being stuck between two players, gives me literally NO option for any possible evasion. So if she's going to armor lock, I should be able to survey my surroundings while I mentally wait the 8 seconds she stays in her little cacoon without worrying that she's going to emerge prematurely.

6yOhPnq.gif

Also just ana grenade so she can't heal in the ice block.

Veelk

Banned
6yOhPnq.gif

Also just ana grenade so she can't heal in the ice block.

That is 90% of the time not the issue with her, in my experience. I guess you're right that it is 1 counter and I did ask for 1, but...still....I never play Ana and only a single ability of a single character blocking the smallest part of it's mechanism is still annoying.

Mush

I do agree that she should be able to be moved whilst in her "cocoon" (Pharah's concussion blast, Reinhardt's charge etc etc), but I get more frustrated by Reaper wrathing away than any Mei. The biggest advantage you have is that she can't move away and is rooted to the spot.

Kind of like how I find it frustrating that Reaper goes into ghost mode when I try to freeze him? Or when Pharah jumps off into the air when I do the same? Or when Zarya goes into bubble?

Just figure out a way to deal with the ice block or have your team help you if someone is near by... She's sitting there thinking about her next move just as much as you are... make yours better.

Jarate

Banned
Flashbang McCree, Reaper, Reinhardt Charge, Pharah Flying above, Soldier 76, Zenyatta orbs, Roadhogs hook, Hanzo headshot are all very easy to do

This isnt rocket science, she's kind of a shit class and she has no escape options after using that ice block.

Flashbang McCree, Reaper, Reinhardt Charge, Pharah Flying above, Soldier 76, Zenyatta orbs, Roadhogs hook, Hanzo headshot are all very easy to do

This isnt rocket science, she's kind of a shit class and she has no escape options after using that ice block.

I've gotten away plenty of times after using my ice block.

Yeah, what she then needs is some sort of way to partition herself away from others...

Antiwhippy

TBF you usually save your wall to probably split away from people waiting outside. Either on the other side, or boost yourself up and start sniping/running.

Veelk

Banned
Kind of like how I find it frustrating that Reaper goes into ghost mode when I try to freeze him? Or when Pharah jumps off into the air when I do the same? Or when Zarya goes into bubble?

Just figure out a way to deal with the ice block or have your team help you if someone is near by... She's sitting there thinking about her next move just as much as you are... make yours better.
Reaper is annoying with that, I agree. Especially when he goes for a health pack. But he's locked into the wraith mode. You can time his materialization to some move. This is basically what I'm asking for here, so...yeah, if it was more like wraith mode, sure. I feel more engagement tackling a wraithing reaper than I do an iced mei, because he's still moving and I can time his change in position to some play. With mei, all I can do is wait.

Pharah is okay though. Just aim up. Just like that, you have a way for her flying off not to automatically save her. There, a counterplay.

Zarya going into bubble is something you can blast through, if you're willing to take a chance dancing with her charge. It's a good ability that can mean she kills you even when you thought you had her in the bag, but you can play around it in some circumstances.

"Wait until she comes out" is not playing around anyone. Like, even if you win the encounter, there is no way to actually counter the ability itself.

Yeah, what she then needs is some sort of way to partition herself away from others...

Shoot the damn wall. Get your teammates to help... you can destroy the wall.

Reaper is annoying with that, I agree. Especially when he goes for a health pack. But he's locked into the wraith mode. You can time his materialization to some move. This is basically what I'm asking for here, so...yeah, if it was more like wraith mode, sure.

Pharah is okay though. Just aim up. Just like that, you have a way for her flying off not to automatically save her.

Zarya going into bubble is something you can blast through, if you're willing to take a chance dancing with her charge. It's a good ability that can mean she kills you even when you thought you had her in the bag, but you can play around it in some circumstances.

"Wait until she comes out" is not playing around anyone. Like, even if you win the encounter, there is no way to actually counter the ability itself.

You can't counter Reapers! He moves about... but you can literally do nothing to him and he can literally do nothing to you. (Mei can block him with her wall... but that's about it.)

Just sounds like the same old stuff about Mei... people being salty because she some how slows it down for you and you're not able to get that finishing move off because the Mei was too quick to go into ice block.

If they were to do any kind of nerfin to Mei... the only thing I would fine acceptable is maybe lower her health recharge rate.

Jarate

Banned
she walls and she has to run away, thus you really dont have to deal with her for an extended period of time, even then you can run past the wall and kill her easily with a lot of classes depending on the placement, and usually, if you're not an idiot and running into a mei by yourself far away from your teammates, there will generally be a second player who's standing on the opposite side of the mei, leaving her walling off only 1 person

And even if she does escape, she didnt accomplish that much since you both built similar ults.

Man, I'm sure glad I held off prestiging until the Halloween event started. The only non-common Halloween item I've gotten in 9 levels is Reinhardt's pumpkin smashing emote. No skins - not even any old skins. Just...all sprays and player icons and voice lines and duplicates. I know the event is three weeks long, but man it's hard to be jazzed when the easiest levels I'm going to get over the course of the three weeks is nothing but bleh.

Also, did the new patch do something weird to loading times? The portrait frames around the character icons aren't loading in properly, and the POTGs have pronounced character pop-in that wasn't there before.

Jarate

Banned
Mei's best ability is her ice wall by far. forcing her to use it situations like this is a really helpful thing to your team. And like I said, even if she does escape, shes basically not gonna show up again until her ice block reloads which is a long cooldown

Every DPS class besides 76 has an insta "get away from mei" ability to not get frozen. Most tanks have enough health to beat her, Hanzo, and Bastion will just melt her.

Veelk

Banned
You can't counter Reapers! He moves about... but you can literally do nothing to him and he can literally do nothing to you. (Mei can block him with her wall... but that's about it.)

Just sounds like the same old stuff about Mei... people being salty because she some how slows it down for you and you're not able to get that finishing move off because the Mei was too quick to go into ice block.

If they were to do any kind of nerfin to Mei... the only thing I would fine acceptable is maybe lower her health recharge rate.

The main 2 factors that seperate Reaper's wraithing from Mei's icing is 1. He's moving and 2. He's locked into his timing. This means depending on the location and where he's moving, you can position yourself better to take him out. I've had it happen a few times before. I can still do stuff when Reaper wraiths out to outplay the him. The ONLY thing to do with Mei is wait. Moving isn't advantageous because she turns with you. (FAKE EDIT: That's another way you could incorperate a counter. Instead of letting her turn in her ice cacoon, have it so she can only look in the direction that she froze and that lets me get behind the player). All I can do with Mei is wait. That Reaper keeps things moving is very important.

Also, did the new patch do something weird to loading times? The portrait frames around the character icons aren't loading in properly, and the POTGs have pronounced character pop-in that wasn't there before.

I have had weird loading issues as well, mostly connected to audio (e.g. PotG not loading any audio until mid-way done), and UI bits.

The main 2 factors that seperate Reaper's wraithing from Mei's icing is 1. He's moving and 2. He's locked into his timing. This means depending on the location and where he's moving, you can position yourself better to take him out. I've had it happen a few times before. I can still do stuff when Reaper wraiths out to outplay the him. The ONLY thing to do with Mei is wait. Moving isn't advantageous because she turns with you. (FAKE EDIT: That's another way you could incorperate a counter. Instead of letting her move around in her ice cacoon, have it so she can only look in the direction that she froze and that lets me get behind the player). All I can do with Mei is wait. That Reaper keeps things moving is very important.

So essentially... What you're saying is... Based on previous posts and this one... is that you can beat Mei... You just want it to be an easier kill?

If you can beat her. And all you have to do is wait? What exactly is the complaint again? That you have to wait? Is that correct?

Antiwhippy

Mei's best ability is her ice wall by far. forcing her to use it situations like this is a really helpful thing to your team. And like I said, even if she does escape, shes basically not gonna show up again until her ice block reloads which is a long cooldown

Every DPS class besides 76 has an insta "get away from mei" ability to not get frozen. Most tanks have enough health to beat her, Hanzo, and Bastion will just melt her.

Why freeze any DPS when you can drop them in 2 shots?

I'll freeze in a group fight because it's a speed debuff to help out my teammates, but if I'm going to 1 v 1 anyone I'll do it midrange.

Veelk

Banned
So essentially... What you're saying is... Based on previous posts and this one... is that you can beat Mei... You just want it to be an easier kill?

If you can beat her. And all you have to do is wait? What exactly is the complaint again? That you have to wait? Is that correct?

I did say that I didn't consider the move overpowered.

I said it is not engaging. Not fun. I don't want to win, I want to have fun. Those things are related, but not the same. This ability isn't fun. I'd be more okay with dying to Mei (or not killing her and being killed by her teammate, as the case may be) if I felt there was a manuever I could have done to avoid that, even if I statistically died as often to her as I do now.

I mean, that's what makes things truly fun in games. Not winning, but encounter design.

Jarate

Banned
Why freeze any DPS when you can drop them in 2 shots?

Every DPS will inherently do way more dps assuming that they can aim. Like, what are you trying to prove, that she's useful? Her ice wall ability provides a huge ampunt of support to your team and can be used to pick off individuals. Ive played against plenty of really good meis. Shes very useful if played well.

The issue is that Veelk can't seem to comprehend that there are so many options that you have against mei, eapecially when she ice blocks. Hell, if you really want to fuck over a mei, just play Reaper or McCree or Pharah. If you want a tank, play Roadhog, if you want a healer, play Zenyatta, if you want a defense, play Hanzo. There are so many options for players

Veelk

Banned
The issue is that Veelk can't seem to comprehend that there are so many options that you have against mei, eapecially when she ice blocks. Hell, if you really want to fuck over a mei, just play Reaper or McCree or Pharah. If you want a tank, play Roadhog, if you want a healer, play Zenyatta, if you want a defense, play Hanzo. There are so many options for players

I understand the basic concept of switching, but sometimes I either need to play a character based on the rest of the team comp or just want to because I like it and works against the other 5 players. For like the third time, I don't see Mei as an overpowered character. I just don't see her as an engaging one. You can throw all the "JUST DO THIS TO KILL HER"s you want at me, that doesn't solve the problem of it not being a fun ability to deal with. When I do kill her after she comes out, I never think "Yeah! Got you!". Atleast not any more than I would if she had not gone in it. And that's a problem.

I did say that I didn't consider the move overpowered.

I said it is not engaging. Not fun. I don't want to win, I want to have fun. This ability isn't. I'd be more okay with dying to Mei (or not killing her and being killed by her teammate, as the case may be) if I felt there was a manuever I could have done to avoid that.

I mean, that's what makes things truly fun in games. Not winning, but encounter design.

I would say its fun for me to go into an ice block and then outwit my opponent in a battle... I also find it fun when they out wit me when I go into the block.

I don't think the argument that it's not engaging holds any water... when you wanted to 1. Boop her somewhere while in the ice block 2. Have her view forced... How is that any fun for the Mei player? 3. Have none of her health recharge... which really makes it a useless ability that sucks a lot of the fun out of playing Mei if you do that and your point is fun.

I get it she's frustrating... but that's not a reason to start gimping her significantly because she hampers your fun a little bit.

What if we could break mei's ice block?

I dunno, I usually can kill her jus fine...but seems like you should be able to break it since you can break the wall.

SAVE YOUR ULTS FOR THE ELITES

McCree ults especially can do ludicrous damage to mercy and Reaper during these parts. I dont know why people think it's a good idea to use their ults outside of the actual character spawns

When I have someone camping my ice block I throw up a ice wall once I'm out and make a swift escape or if there's teammates around I'll freeze said person and kill them it's pretty dirty tactic

Edit: also I'm pretty sure there's no hard counters to mei but I have my best luck with pharah spamming her with rockets from above

Veelk

Banned
I would say its fun for me to go into an ice block and then outwit my opponent in a battle... I also find it fun when they out wit me when I go into the block.

I don't think the argument that it's not engaging holds any water... when you wanted to 1. Boop her somewhere while in the ice block 2. Have her view forced... How is that any fun for the Mei player? 3. Have none of her health recharge... which really makes it a useless ability that sucks a lot of the fun out of playing Mei if you do that and your point is fun.

I get it she's frustrating... but that's not a reason to start gimping her significantly because she hampers your fun a little bit.

How do they outwit you? What's there to outwit?

You go into the ice block, and they're either able to wait you out or their not. Give me an example of a situation where you Mei icing herself made you go "Damn, that's a clever move she just pulled on me, totally did not expect that!" or something, because I've never encountered one. The only decision making required on part of the player is the timing of when you go in and when you go out. The opponents decision is irrelevant because they can't really do anything to you while your in that state. So....what was a clever play you had using or having it used on you?

THat said, I acknowledge that engagement is a subjective thing, so I don't deny that you might find it a fun mechanism. I, however, do not and have given my reasons for why.

Aranath

Is anyone else having connection problems on PC? When I load the game it can't connect to the game servers and nothing I try seems to be fixing it.

I didn't get an update for the game. Could my Battle.net be trying to load an older version? When I read the latest patch notes, it's for the patch from last month.

Antiwhippy

Every DPS will inherently do way more dps assuming that they can aim. Like, what are you trying to prove, that she's useful? Her ice wall ability provides a huge ampunt of support to your team and can be used to pick off individuals. Ive played against plenty of really good meis. Shes very useful if played well.

Nah, it's more like you shouldn't really give them a chance to run away from freeze because you shouldn't be using freeze as your primary attack.

Yeah most DPS will out-damage her, but she can plink at reaper outside of his effective range, her range is slightly longer than mccree though honestly it doesn't really matter, and I feel like she can keep up with soldier DPS-wise, though that's mostly through my own fights with soldier and not any hard math.

Also honestly, she's really goddamn tanky. Pretty much the tankiest character outside of the actual tanks. Kinda operates like one too.

But really, don't go off finding 1 v 1 fights as mei because that's not the best use for her.

Jarate

Banned
I understand the basic concept of switching, but sometimes I either need to play a character based on the rest of the team comp or just want to because I like it. For like the third time, I don't see Mei as an overpowered character. I just don't see her as an engaging one. You can throw all the "JUST DO THIS TO KILL HER"s you want at me, that doesn't solve the problem of it not being a fun ability to deal with.

If you arent doing what's necessary to win, then you shouldnt complain about loosing, I gave you literally ever single role you could theoretically play that can counter her. If you dont want to switch, thats your own damn fault and not the games

the ability is so easy to deal with that it really isnt anything that should affect your ability to enjoy the game. It seems to be another case of I DONT LIKE THING AND I MUST JUSTIFY IT, when really, it might be that you're a human being and have preferences. It's ok to have a preference, but to make a claim that the ability is bad based off of really nothing but your own dislike is incredibly silly.

How do they outwit you? What's there to outwit?

You go into the ice block, and they're either able to wait you out or their not. Give me an example of a situation where you Mei icing herself made you go "Damn, that's a clever move she just pulled on me, totally did not expect that!"

THat said, I acknowledge that engagement is a subjective thing, so I don't deny that you might find it a fun mechanism. I, however, do not and have given my reasons for why.

I typically throw up a wall. As another poster said he said it halves the players...

I usually put it up right under me tho and try to use it to get higher ground and away.

I have also broken out of the ice block early so they couldn't get the jump on me or try to freeze them.

Jarate

Banned
When I have someone camping my ice block I throw up a ice wall once I'm out and make a swift escape or if there's teammates around I'll freeze said person and kill them it's pretty dirty tactic

Edit: also I'm pretty sure there's no hard counters to mei but I have my best luck with pharah spamming her with rockets from above
McCree
Pharah
Reaper
Tracer
Zarya
Roadhog
Reinhardt
Zenyatta
Hanzo
Widowmaker

These are all characters that should beat Mei in a 1v1 battle. Obviously. this isnt going to happen all the time, but she has very very strong hard counters

Veelk

Banned
I typically throw up a wall. As another poster said he said it halves the players...

I usually put it up right under me tho and try to use it to get higher ground and away.

I have also broken out of the ice block early so they couldn't get the jump on me or try to freeze them.

The first two scenerioes are using Mei's wall, not her ice armor lock ability. I'm talking about that specific ability, not Mei's entire arsenal. Her gun and Wall and Ult are all fine additions to the game.

As for the last one,I already covered how timing, while offers some options for you, it removes any possible counter an enemy might have, which is the problem since my entire point is that there isn't a truly viable counterplay around the ability.

If you arent doing what's necessary to win, then you shouldnt complain about loosing, I gave you literally ever single role you could theoretically play that can counter her. If you dont want to switch, thats your own damn fault and not the games

the ability is so easy to deal with that it really isnt anything that should affect your ability to enjoy the game. It seems to be another case of I DONT LIKE THING AND I MUST JUSTIFY IT, when really, it might be that you're a human being and have preferences. It's ok to have a preference, but to make a claim that the ability is bad based off of really nothing but your own dislike is incredibly silly.

You're missing the entire point of my posts. It's not about winning or losing. I've never called it OP. I've never hidden the idea that it's about my enjoyment. Please read and comprehend my posts if you're going to respond, because you're responding as if my argument was "I keep losing to this ability" and that's not what I'm saying at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom