• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a textbook example of how to use Winston's ult. last night in QP: enemy team was on the last push on Attack in Hollywood, but I get my ult. and immediately use it to focus right on their Reinhardt. As I knock him down the hallway and away from the rest of his team, the rest of my team is then free to attack the enemy without that big glowy shield in the way. Ended up winning the match with inches left for the payload to reach the finish line. Fun match.
Yeah, if the have a Rein, he should be your first target. Leaves the rest of the team with no protection and are ready to be slaughtered.
No idea when or how it happened, but I managed to make it to the top 1000 Tracers.

I saw one yesterday that was Zenyatta getting just one kill and then healing his team a bunch with Transcendence. First time I've seen that.
I saw a Zen POTG on a stream where it was himself using trans in a graviton surge that had a dragon going through it. He then went to Harmony orb Pharah while she was ulting and saved her life.

Now that's a true POTG right there.

Tabby

Yeah, if the have a Rein, he should be your first target. Leaves the rest of the team with no protection and are ready to be slaughtered.

I saw a Zen POTG on a stream where it was himself using trans in a graviton surge that had a dragon going through it. He then went to Harmony orb Pharah while she was ulting and saved her life.

Now that's a true POTG right there.

That sounds like what I usually do as Zen. Usually try to save my Tranquility until their Zarya ults or if we're trying to push together.

So yeah. Made it to top 500 last night. My stat page:

9EBRdDl.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I've played exactly 150 games. So I've got a perfect 50/50 win/loss ratio.

Here is most of the game that pushed me over:

https://youtu.be/aSJQr7luWkY

I'm missing round 1 but it went pretty similar to round 3.

I also pulled this off of overbuff:

iUXFF9l.png

Also, what's up with the Top 500 icons? I swear those weren't there yesterday until late last night. You seem to have one at 3401, though.

Jellie

So you can get top 500 without even having to reach Master or anything? That's pretty cool.

I also pulled this off of overbuff:

iUXFF9l.png

Also, what's up with the Top 500 icons? I swear those weren't there yesterday until late last night. You seem to have one at 3401, though.
What's weird is I got the emblem but I'm ranked 507 so not sure why I got it. Maybe I was top 500 when I came out and then 7 people overtook me but I haven't played comp yet so didn't lose it?

Sr doesn't matter though. It's the hidden MMR that does I think.

Is the reward icon the same one? The orange one that Kor is using.

LiK

Unless I manage to get 2-3 more straight wins, guess I'll never be able to play with Jellie and Kor again. Hopefully Vault ain't too addicted to the new Destiny DLC cuz we're the best 2-man team. Always get win streaks together.

This game is simultaneously the best and worst game to play in the space of 1 match. I am constantly baffled by the decisions people make when choosing characters and I am sure it's going to keep me in the sub 2300's for the rest of the season.

-Why play Lucio and not pay attention to see if anyone is respawning soon after yourself so you can bring them into the fight quicker?

-Why play Bastion on attack full stop?

-Why trickle in over and over and over again?

Obviously by sitting at 2249 I am not that great but it's so frustrating watching team mates do this repeatedly.
I am never ever guilty of anything ever

Jellie

Unless I manage to get two wins, guess I'll never be able to play with Jellie and Kor again. Hopefully Vault ain't too addicted to the new Destiny DLC cuz we're the best 2-man team. Always get win streaks together.
Hey! I've never lost with you. 100% win streaks.
only played one session of 5 games though.
I'm not master yet and may never get it so you never know. I'm just glad to get top 500 before next Wednesday as I'll be busy studying for the next year. Been told I'll be in a lab for 12 hours a day including some weekends so I'm going to get a lot of decay so even if I get master I won't last long in it.

This game is simultaneously the best and worst game to play in the space of 1 match. I am constantly baffled by the decisions people make when choosing characters and I am sure it's going to keep me in the sub 2300's for the rest of the season.

-Why play Lucio and not pay attention to see if anyone is respawning soon after yourself so you can bring them into the fight quicker?

-Why play Bastion on attack full stop?

-Why trickle in over and over and over again?

Obviously by sitting at 2249 I am not that great but it's so frustrating watching team mates do this repeatedly.
I am never ever guilty of anything ever

This has it's uses. Bastion is great against Roadhog, Winston, and Zarya. And pretty good against Reinhart. As long as the enemy team doesn't have a Genji or Tracer, he can kind of go uncontested.

At least on console.

Farewell

9EBRdDl.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I've played exactly 150 games. So I've got a perfect 50/50 win/loss ratio.

Here's mine if you want to compare.

Played 92. Haven't played in almost a week though so better get back to it.

Wow nice!

Where can i see if you're in top 500? Because i want to know where my placement is. Sry if i'm blind and can't see it.

LiK

Hey! I've never lost with you. 100% win streaks.
only played one session of 5 games though.
I'm not master yet and may never get it so you never know. I'm just glad to get top 500 before next Wednesday as I'll be busy studying for the next year. Been told I'll be in a lab for 12 hours a day including some weekends so I'm going to get a lot of decay so even if I get master I won't last long in it.

i've been going through the shittiest win-lose-win-lose cycle in the 2900+ area in the past few days. after i got 2 straight wins with MarioHead and LRG last night, we got hit with a leaver/DC on our team by a random in our 3rd match so that sucked.

also, i don't have consistent matches whenever i play in groups with 4-6 guys. so i will no longer play Comp with a full group anymore. QP is fine but playing against a 6-man stack in Comp is exhausting. i'm gonna decline invites if it becomes a full group now.

This has it's uses. Bastion is great against Roadhog, Winston, and Zarya. And pretty good against Reinhart. As long as the enemy team doesn't have a Genji or Tracer, he can kind of go uncontested.

At least on console.

Seen some Attack Bastions go tear up the Defending team in Comp cuz people just aren't prepared for it. So yea, he's fine as long as his team supports him.

PatjuhR

Bastion is pretty good on attack on specific cases.

If you are at a choke point it might help to set up a bastion to push defense lines to another location.

Jellie

Wow nice!

Where can i see if you're in top 500? Because i want to know where my placement is. Sry if i'm blind and can't see it.
You can't see your position unless you are already top 500. When you get top 500 you get the shiny new emblem with lightning effects and when you click play it'll show your number like so.
Vlk6ODrh.jpg

Not sure why I do have it at 507 though.
i've been going through the shittiest win-lose-win-lose cycle in the 2900+ area in the past few days. after i got 2 straight wins with MarioHead and LRG last night, we got hit with a leaver/DC on our team by a random in our 3rd match so that sucked.

also, i don't have consistent matches whenever i play in groups with 4-6 guys. so i will no longer play Comp with a full group anymore. QP is fine but playing against a 6-man stack in Comp is exhausting. i'm gonna decline invites if it becomes a full group now.
What do you mean by consistent? As in sometimes mmed with much higher people?

Man, can someone explain this to me, because I swear it happens a lot:

https://gfycat.com/NegligibleAridEgret

Why did I not get Rezzed from Mercy? You can see my body just over her shoulder in the shot. Am I really just outsider her range? is the Rez range really that small?

I just feel like it's so rare that I ever get a Rez from a Mercy, I'm trying to understand why. If it really is just a small Rez range, then jeez...

Man, can someone explain this to me, because I swear it happens a lot:

https://gfycat.com/NegligibleAridEgret

Why did I not get Rezzed from Mercy? You can see my body just over her shoulder in the shot. Am I really just outsider her range? is the Rez range really that small?

I just feel like it's so rare that I ever get a Rez from a Mercy, I'm trying to understand why. If it really is just a small Rez range, then jeez...
Pretty sure it's a bug.

Greddleok

How the hell can you carry with Zarya? I'm not saying she's not good, but without knowing your teammates it's really hard to know who to shield.

DevilDog

How the hell can you carry with Zarya? I'm not saying she's not good, but without knowing your teammates it's really hard to know who to shield.
Self shield and draw energy from pro junkrats or reinheardt firestrikes, spam right click, build ult.

Occasionally shield some teammatates when you feel like they are going up against high dps. So when they push a choke or have a reaper in ther face etc.

But always, always protect your supports. If there is a flanking genji/tracer, that little extra time you give them will save them.

Bastion is pretty good on attack on specific cases.

If you are at a choke point it might help to set up a bastion to push defense lines to another location.

Until he gets killed and its a 5 v 6, where the other team regains easily the lost ground, wins the teamfight and builds their ults.

PatjuhR

Until he gets killed and its a 5 v 6, where the other team regains easily the lost ground.

Everybody can get killed.

I wouldn't pick attack Bastion at default, but he can sometimes clear out chokepoints. Especially if the enemy team doesn't expect him. So it isn't a bad thing to choose him if the current setup isn't working anyways.

duckroll

TBF you could say that for any character that dies. :p

It's more that he gets several hard counters.

I think Bastion belongs in the unique category of characters along with Torb and Sym where once their perfect setup that's working gets countered and they're down, it is very hard to setup again successfully and be an asset to the team. If a Soldier dies, he's only down until he respawns and gets back into the fight. If a Bastion dies, unless his team recovers the upper hand it's hard to contribute reliably. Usually if you pull Bastion as a surprise/gambit pick, you stick with it until it fails and then you swap up.

I think Bastion belongs in the unique category of characters along with Torb and Sym where once their perfect setup that's working gets countered and they're down, it is very hard to setup again successfully and be an asset to the team. If a Soldier dies, he's only down until he respawns and gets back into the fight. If a Bastion dies, unless his team recovers the upper hand it's hard to contribute reliably. Usually if you pull Bastion as a surprise/gambit pick, you stick with it until it fails and then you swap up.

I agree with this in a way, particularly with Symm.

If you die before you get that first teleporter and lose 3/6 of your turrets, you really should switch. On console, at least. Her turrets just aren't effective anymore.

Torb seems the best at trying to regain the advantage since he can set up a temp turret and create some breathing room because his gun is so effective.

DevilDog

TBF you could say that for any character that dies. :p

It's more that he gets several hard counters.

Everybody can get killed.

I wouldn't pick attack Bastion at default, but he can sometimes clear out chokepoints. Especially if the enemy team doesn't expect him. So it isn't a bad thing to choose him if the current setup isn't working anyways.

The obvious problem with bastion is that he can get easily countered. You don't want someone like that in your team, because its an easy kill for the enemy team, and then you're on your way to lose a 5 v 6.

Surprise bastion is funny and sometimes effective, but it only works once, and you'll have to switch heroes after that because the enemy team will know.
That also means you won't build up ultimate. So it's better to never pick him.

Do it to troll, but don't justify it.

This. I sometimes play Torb during a capture point game because if you can get established and a strong line of defense if formed then his turret can tear the opponents apart if placed away from the action. It's only applicable to a few maps and if I can't make it work first time then I change up.

duckroll

I don't think it's a good mentality to think you should "never" pick a character. It's actually that unwillingness to pick weaker characters which I feel limits the potential of some teams sometimes. If whatever you are doing simply isn't working, the team should not be afraid to experiment a little. There's nothing to lose if you're already losing.

PatjuhR

Maybe it's because I tried it only once and it was a great success, but I would without doubt try it again if the situation asks for it.

I'm not going to say no in advance when it can actually be a game saver.

Highway

Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself
This is sooo true!!!!!

LiK

Attack Bastion can work if they know what they're doing. I encountered a gold gun Bastion in Comp who was destroying my team constantly by changing his placements and knowing when to retreat. if you just sit there in turret forever then of course you'll be countered eventually but they can work. there will always be exceptions. that guy probably mains Bastion cuz of the gold guns.

DevilDog

Don't forget when you switch heroes, you're behind on your ultimate game. And ultimates are game changers more often than bastions.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The obvious problem with bastion is that he can get easily countered. You don't want someone like that in your team, because its an easy kill for the enemy team, and then you're on your way to lose a 5 v 6.

Surprise bastion is funny and sometimes effective, but it only works once, and you'll have to switch heroes after that because the enemy team will know.
That also means you won't build up ultimate. So it's better to never pick him.

Do it to troll, but don't justify it.

Eh tbf pros do like to bust out surprise bastion once in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9fWUF6Y_WQ#t=23m

Don't forget when you switch heroes, you're behind on your ultimate game. And ultimates are game changers more often than bastions.

Ehhh... Depends on the Ult.

If I'm 76 and the enemy team has a Zen, my Ult typically doesn't mean anything. If I'm Pharah and the enemy team just isn't grouping up at all, my Ult usually means a free kill for them. :/

There are several situations where Ults don't mean much.

Edit: This coming from a Top 500 player who has Bastion as his #5 character. The Bastion hate from Season 1 really doesn't hold up anymore. People are just hating on him as a lingering feeling without fully understand him at this point.

This makes me wish that you could keep it, since the spirit of the game really wants you to pick and counter-pick.

But I can see that being easily abused.

Here's an idea:

What if you picked a primary hero and a secondary hero that you could swap to, and while a hero is in reserve, they regen a portion of their health based on the amount of health they had when they were swapped out?

You know, like a fighting game.

BigDug13

Ehhh... Depends on the Ult.

If I'm 76 and the enemy team has a Zen, my Ult typically doesn't mean anything. If I'm Pharah and the enemy team just isn't grouping up at all, my Ult usually means a free kill for them. :/

There are several situations where Ults don't mean much.

Edit: This coming from a Top 500 player who has Bastion as his #5 character. The Bastion hate from Season 1 really doesn't hold up anymore. People are just hating on him as a lingering feeling without fully understand him at this point.

Having an ult just to draw out the enemy support ult is still game changing though. That 76 draws the transcendence and now genji can go off for example. Ult advantage and drawing ults out is still a thing when enemy ults counter yours.

This makes me wish that you could keep it, since the spirit of the game really wants you to pick and counter-pick.

But I can see that being easily abused.

Here's an idea:

What if you picked a primary hero and a secondary hero that you could swap to, and while a hero is in reserve, they regen a portion of their health based on the amount of health they had when they were swapped out?

You know, like a fighting game.

Having an ult just to draw out the enemy support ult is still game changing though. That 76 draws the transcendence and now genji can go off for example. Ult advantage and drawing ults out is still a thing when enemy ults counter yours.

If there is a Genji, sure. It's all context.

9EBRdDl.jpg

First off, congrats.

Second, this is why the rank system sucks. The only people in the 1500 point range out of 5000 is roughly 500 people? C'mon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom