• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The top 500 was for region I believe?
i mean 1500 people is better but that still one person per point. Meanwhile there's 2500+ in just the 2599-2550 range.

I'm wondering if the ranks on consoles need to be adjusted for this. Does anyone know when Top 500 kicks in on PC?
It'd be more useful to know how this compares to last season. Assuming 3500 is roughly equal to 70 then it doesn't seem all that different. I believe at the end of season one people were getting top 500 at around 75. Though that still means their distribution is ultra compressed.

i mean 1500 people is better but that still one person per point. Meanwhile there's 2500+ in just the 2599-2550 range.

It'd be more useful to know how this compares to last season. Assuming 3500 is roughly equal to 70 then it doesn't seem all that different. I believe at the end of season one people were getting top 500 at around 75. Though that still means their distribution is ultra compressed.

It isn't though.

In season 1, Rank 76 was about about when Top 500 kicked in. I peaked out at Rank 78 which was #112. So I imagine maybe all of 5 people hit Rank 80, if that.

But if SR3500 is equal to Rank 70, then we've lost roughly 8 levels worth.

I dropped so much in comp that I feel like all teams I get put into don't know how to team up. I've been really into playing heal support (lucio, zen, mercy), so it can get quite annoying sigh.

DevilDog

Eh tbf pros do like to bust out surprise bastion once in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9fWUF6Y_WQ#t=23m

This is cool but I need more nano-boosted bastion tank form in my life.

Ehhh... Depends on the Ult.

If I'm 76 and the enemy team has a Zen, my Ult typically doesn't mean anything. If I'm Pharah and the enemy team just isn't grouping up at all, my Ult usually means a free kill for them. :/

There are several situations where Ults don't mean much.

Edit: This coming from a Top 500 player who has Bastion as his #5 character. The Bastion hate from Season 1 really doesn't hold up anymore. People are just hating on him as a lingering feeling without fully understand him at this point.

Do you mean that zen ults to counter your aimbot?

It would help to put things in perspective, I play on PC, if someone goes bastion, he is such a huge liability.
What I saw in your video on console made me feel like I was in the twilight zone. Most youtubers/streamers are PC players so its the most vocal platform, and I agree with them that bastion is bad the majority of the time.

This is cool but I need more nano-boosted bastion tank form in my life.

Do you mean that zen ults to counter your aimbot?

It would help to put things in perspective, I play on PC, if someone goes bastion, he is such a huge liability.
What I saw in your video on console made me feel like I was in the twilight zone. Most youtubers/streamers are PC players so its the most vocal platform, and I agree with them that bastion is bad the majority of the time.

Yes. On console, a Zen Ult is used pretty regularly to counter a 76 Ult. As a regular 76 player, I wont even use my Ult unless I know the enemy Zen is dead or has popped his Ult recently.

DevilDog

Yes. On console, a Zen Ult is used pretty regularly to counter a 76 Ult. As a regular 76 player, I wont even use my Ult unless I know the enemy Zen is dead or has popped his Ult recently.

I feel like since you are 500 you should know this, trading an aimbot for a zen ult is a great play. It opens up the enemy team for a black hole/sword/blossom etc.
For example, whenever I play gengu, my main target is drawing out support ults, and if I'm lucky get a kill.

Unless things don't work that way on console, I don't even know anymore. On PC we barely ever use a support ult to counter soldier, we just straight up kill him normally.

Made it to Platinum. Yay!

I know it pales in comparison to the efforts of most people on here but, for me, it's quite an achievement and I'm proud of it.

Too scared to play now. Don't want to lose that icon.

I think I've finally cracked it. Lucio on attack. Symmetra on defence. That's how I've won most of my games of late.

I feel like since you are 500 you should know this, trading an aimbot for a zen ult is a great play. It opens up the enemy team for a black hole/sword/blossom etc.
For example, whenever I play gengu, my main target is drawing out support ults, and if I'm lucky get a kill.

Unless things don't work that way on console, I don't even know anymore. On PC we barely ever use a support ult to counter soldier, we just straight up kill him normally.

As I said before, it's all context. In the context of having a Genji and/or Zarya on my team, things change.

I was just speaking in generalizations before that. You've totally missed the point of what I was addressing, which was that switching your character and losing your Ult isn't the worst thing in the world.

Made it to Platinum. Yay!

I know it pales in comparison to the efforts of most people on here but, for me, it's quite an achievement and I'm proud of it.

Too scared to play now. Don't want to lose that icon.

I think I've finally cracked it. Lucio on attack. Symmetra on defence. That's how I've won most of my games of late.

I don't think you CAN lose the icon. I'm pretty sure it always shows your highest earned Icon.

DevilDog

As I said before, it's all context. In the context of having a Genji and/or Zarya on my team, things change.

I was just speaking in generalizations before that. You've totally missed the point of what I was addressing, which was that switching your character and losing your Ult isn't the worst thing in the world.

In the context of having a proper team, it is an absolute victory to draw out the zen ult with aimbot.

I didn't miss the point, I told you, getting behind on your ult game is one step closer to defeat, not victory.
This doesn't mean you shouldn't switch characters, since some characters are very weak once on ULT cooldown against certain teamcomps. These are 2 different things to consider.

adamy

Banned
stayed up entirely too late playing this last night

still only a few days in but I think I'm somewhat comfortable enough to play with you guys...hoping I can get some tips/feedback

still haven't unlocked competitive tho

In the context of having a proper team, it is an absolute victory to draw out the zen ult with aimbot.

I didn't miss the point, I told you, getting behind on your ult game is one step closer to defeat, not victory.
This doesn't mean you shouldn't switch characters, since some characters are very weak once on ULT cooldown against certain teamcomps. These are 2 different things to consider.

Well I play on console, and I don't play in tournaments. So the odds of this happening are slim. Stop trying to use ideal conditions in arguments where they don't apply.

Of course if a 76 has a Genji on the team, forcing a Zen Ult is good. That's fine, but having a Genji on a team isn't a regular thing anymore, and even if it does, that doesn't mean we also have a 76 at the same time.

It makes it seem like you aren't understanding the conversation, because I'm talking about regular plain comp play. While you seem to be talking about optimal character picks with 6v6 teams that all have great communication.

Hell, just look at that video I posted for my 3500 game. We had a Roadhog, Zarya, Lucio, Zen, Tracer, and Pharah. And even had a Roadhog switch to Bastion.

This is why I keep saying context. Context is important. You don't need to tell us that the context of a super optimal team means such and such should happen. We get that. Instead, we're mostly working with what we've got, and what I've got is a lot of time as 76, and my experiences and habits that go with it because of the context I've played him in.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah that's why i always let people play what they want as long as the team is balanced, and as long as they change if things aren't working out. The meta does trickle down, but only to an extent because it is also hampered by personal skill, and at some point you should let people play who they are comfortable with, because at some point that's probably how they'll contribute the most.

DevilDog

Well I play on console, and I don't play in tournaments. So the odds of this happening are slim. Stop trying to use ideal conditions in arguments where they don't apply.

Of course if a 76 has a Genji on the team, forcing a Zen Ult is good. That's fine, but having a Genji on a team isn't a regular thing anymore, and even if it does, that doesn't mean we also have a 76 at the same time.

It makes it seem like you aren't understanding the conversation, because I'm talking about regular plain comp play. While you seem to be talking about optimal character picks with 6v6 teams that all have great communication.

Hell, just look at that video I posted for my 3500 game. We had a Roadhog, Zarya, Lucio, Zen, Tracer, and Pharah. And even had a Roadhog switch to Bastion.

This is why I keep saying context. Context is important. You don't need to tell us that the context of a super optimal team means such and such should happen. We get that. Instead, we're mostly working with what we've got, and what I've got is a lot of time as 76, and my experiences and habits that go with it because of the context I've played him in.
As I said I don't know what is going on on console, I'm genuinely ignorant about this.

I'm not trying to force anything on your platform, but from my experience playing with a normal comp on PC with mics is pretty standard, at least from 2600-3200 and up that I've played, and I assumed that being in top 500 on console things would be similar. Why wouldn't they?
Do people on console never use mics? Is it like quick play? No idea. But they way you described your 76 play was as if you were playing solo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, that's interesting. I swear I've seen multiple ulting Roadhogs put to sleep and then woken up right after without it. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Hmm, i think that's because roadhog doesn't actually have the option to stop his ult, but with soldier and genji they can choose when to attack during their ult.

Hmm, that's interesting. I swear I've seen multiple ulting Roadhogs put to sleep and then woken up right after without it. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It depends on the Ult. Roadhog's Ult is kind of a locked in animation Ult. So most stuns halt it completely.

rugioh

Banned
What's with the discord? I've been popping in and out of it but I don't see anyone using the voice channels. I'm a little apprehensive to pick up the full game if I have to soloqueue games. Are people still using it to queue up and make groups?

As I said I don't know what is going on on console, I'm genuinely ignorant about this.

I'm not trying to force anything on your platform, but from my experience playing with a normal comp on PC with mics is pretty standard, at least from 2600-3200 and up that I've played, and I assumed that being in top 500 on console things would be similar. Why wouldn't they?
Do people on console never use mics? Is it like quick play? No idea. But they way you described your 76 play was as if you were playing solo.

Here is my experience with Console Comp solo queuing:

On average, you'll be able to talk to 2, maybe 3 people on your team. Because of consoles have a innate Party system chat feature, a lot of groups of 2+ are just in their own private party chat. Thus they don't communicate with people outside their immediate party.

Typically this means a group of 6 randoms has better communication than a team with 3 groups of 2.

The Meta takes longer to trickle down because people don't bother to watch tourneys, or even read patch notes. Because of this, people still feel like Lucio+Zen is mandatory for every match. By extension, people get pretty upset if you don't stick to the old 2/2/2 setup.

When people do talk in chat, you've got about a 30% or 40% chance that someone is a douche. This means, they'll be instructing you what your characters should be, and how you should be playing them the entire match. Any hint at a loss, and they'll be happy to blame everyone but themselves, which turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. Because no one wants to play good for a teammate that treats you like shit.

Leavers still happen probably 1 out of every 8 games. And they usually happen to the defending team, and usually as soon as the attacking team captures the first point/checkpoint.

Because of the whole aiming thing, characters that require a lot of precision are less common than they would be on PC. This typically applies to hitscan characters like Widow or McCree.

People seem to have a hard time understanding how a buff/nerf on one character impacts another. So when Genji got nerfed, and barely shows up, people don't understand that this means Bastion can come out and play once in a while. Instead, people will send hateful messages via PM, or actually turn their mic on just to tell Bastion that he's worthless and will result in a loss for the team.

I'm sure there is more, but this is about the summary of my experiences from 3000-3500. I also solo queue about 90% of the time.

LiK

On average, you'll be able to talk to 2, maybe 3 people on your team. Because of consoles have a innate Party system chat feature, a lot of groups of 2+ are just in their own private party chat. Thus they don't communicate with people outside their immediate party.

Typically this means a group of 6 randoms has better communication than a team with 3 groups of 2.

The Meta takes longer to trickle down because people don't bother to watch tourneys, or even read patch notes. Because of this, people still feel like Lucio+Zen is mandatory for every match. By extension, people get pretty upset if you don't stick to the old 2/2/2 setup.

When people do talk in chat, you've got about a 30% or 40% chance that someone is a douche. This means, they'll be instructing you what your characters should be, and how you should be playing them the entire match. Any hint at a loss, and they'll be happy to blame everyone but themselves, which turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. Because no one wants to play good for a teammate that treats you like shit.

Leavers still happen probably 1 out of every 8 games. And they usually happen to the defending team, and usually as soon as the attacking team captures the first point/checkpoint.

Because of the whole aiming thing, characters that require a lot of precision are less common than they would be on PC. This typically applies to hitscan characters like Widow or McCree.

People seem to have a hard time understanding how a buff/nerf on one character impacts another. So when Genji got nerfed, and barely shows up, people don't understand that this means Bastion can come out and play once in a while. Instead, people will send hateful messages via PM, or actually turn their mic on just to tell Bastion that he's worthless and will result in a loss for the team.

I'm sure there is more, but this is about the summary of my experiences from 3000-3500. I also solo queue about 90% of the time.

Someone post this in OP cuz this is basically the life of an OW player on console.

Owzers

Hmmm so let's have small group-ups where we use Team Chat on ps4 and hope we get three other randoms who use team chat and aren't annoying. I need to assemble a team.

It would also help if ps4 chat wasn't still kinda broken where you can't switch between team and group.

DevilDog

Damn. There is a lot of good stuff on PC i take for granted.

Unless I manage to get 2-3 more straight wins, guess I'll never be able to play with Jellie and Kor again. Hopefully Vault ain't too addicted to the new Destiny DLC cuz we're the best 2-man team. Always get win streaks together.

LOL, I really don't know what will happen. I preordered ROI last night because I figured at some point I'd play it, and I'd want the bonuses. But I jumped on for the first time in months last night and tried a strike and wasn't feeling it at all, I just wasn't really enjoying myself, I kept wanting it to be Overwatch.

I'll definitely give the new campaign a shot, and ideally I would play both games casually at the same time. But I have never been able to do that, I'm always addicted to one and only one game.

School has been a bitch lately, but this should be my last day in an awful stretch and maybe I can go back to a more normal schedule. If I'm playing Destiny and you get online feel free to invite me for some comp. I'd like to be able to switch between the two.

matmanx1

I wish they can somehow buff Symmetra to be less vulnerable, because she has to be very close to the enemy when using her beam weapon. Maybe little more health/shield? When 2 enemies are attacking you and there are no turrets close to them you are done so fast, because you can only attack and focus on one enemy.

I actually had a fun idea for Symmetra. What if every team mate she buffs with armor gives her an additional 10 armor. With 5 team mates buffed that would be 250 total health + armor. If someone dies then reapplying the buff would not increase beyond 250 armor but naturally she could get back up to that after taking damage.

I would also make her primary fire beam range longer, more like Zarya. If she's tougher and can hit you from farther away then all of a sudden she gets a good bit more dangerous.

Honestly, Winston is at his most effective when your team is calling out the dps and their locations when they have taken some damage. You can hop in and kill them in a second, then take out the healer that was probably with/near them. Then you repeat ad nauseum. Also, when fighting, turn so your target is at the side of your screen rather than the crosshair. Helps save you from easy headshots.

Responding to the part I put in bold letters. That's a great tip!

Well, finally ended my horrible loss streak, helping out a fairly decent team as Mercy on King's Row. Diamond probably isn't happening, but at the very least I hope I can get to the point where I'm not the only "Platinum" among a bunch of Golds due to how far I've dropped. We shall see.

Oh, and I actually saw one in the wild: Ana PotM's DO exist! It was a Lifesaver, so guess she must have hit an enemy just as they were about to finish someone off.

If you are on PC feel free to friend me for some comp matches. Matmanx1#1920.

So, I just watched this video on "how to escape ELO hell" i.e. how to do better in solo queue.

Seems to make a lot of sense, and the basic thesis is that because solo queue involves no synergy and no communication (something I'm personally at fault for thanks to two bad experiences) the best heroes to choose are those that can stay alive themselves without having to rely on teammates.

E.g. D.Va, 76, Pharah, Roadhog, since you can't really rely on your dps teammates doing their job. Just because someone picks McCree, doesn't mean they're actually going to be headshotting tanks or downing Pharahs, etc.

On another note:

How is the best way to use Lucio's speed boost? I normally just leave it on heal, unless I see we're losing a team battle, then I hit speed boost and retreat, hoping others will follow me (again communication would help). Are there other times I should be using speed boost? Should speed boost just be left on, and switch to healing when I have the amp move off cool down?

I assume it's more complex, and situationally dependent, but I'm looking for a rule of thumb.

Depends on the group and if I have another healer. If I do, then my default is to leave speed boost on and switch to heal for topping up and assisting the other healer. If I am solo healing as Lucio then speed boost becomes much more situational.

LiK

LOL, I really don't know what will happen. I preordered ROI last night because I figured at some point I'd play it, and I'd want the bonuses. But I jumped on for the first time in months last night and tried a strike and wasn't feeling it at all, I just wasn't really enjoying myself, I kept wanting it to be Overwatch.

I'll definitely give the new campaign a shot, and ideally I would play both games casually at the same time. But I have never been able to do that, I'm always addicted to one and only one game.

School has been a bitch lately, but this should be my last day in an awful stretch and maybe I can go back to a more normal schedule. If I'm playing Destiny and you get online feel free to invite me for some comp. I'd like to be able to switch between the two.

I haven't decided if I should pick up ROI yet. Maybe just get it and finish the final campaign. Haven't decided if I care enough to do the new raid.

Farewell

This is pretty much my experience on ps4.

If I had to give you a specific team comp. I would say the most common composition on PSN right now is:

Rein
Zarya
Lucio
Zen
X
X

X seems to commonly be Tracer, 76, Reaper, or Mei, and less commonly Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, or McCree.

There are obviously plenty of matches that don't have this exact setup, but I would say it's the baseline that people work from in most cases.

xaosslug

ok, first match of the day: won. This marks the beginning of The Climb.

b3RczGl.gif

LiK

I was fucking around with Zarya in Skirmish in Comp Q and she feels better for some reason. I wonder if you guys want me to main her so you can play someone else. I used to do fine with her when I played her before Comp was released.

Are there any good advanced Reinhardt guides out there? I feel like I have the basics down I just want to brush up my positioning and such so I can bring him into competive more often.

Are there any good advanced Reinhardt guides out there? I feel like I have the basics down I just want to brush up my positioning and such so I can bring him into competive more often.

The super important Reinhart guide:

Stop swinging.

Seriously, though. The hardest thing to learn with Reinhart is to know when to stop swinging. At a certain point, you're going to swing your hammer, and you're going to want to keep swinging it, but you shouldn't. You should stop. It's hard, crazy crazy hard, but it's the right thing to do like 90% of the time.

exYle

The super important Reinhart guide:

Stop swinging.

Seriously, though. The hardest thing to learn with Reinhart is to know when to stop swinging. At a certain point, you're going to swing your hammer, and you're going to want to keep swinging it, but you shouldn't. You should stop. It's hard, crazy crazy hard, but it's the right thing to do like 90% of the time.

I feel like the more important part is to know when to start swinging and take down the shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom