• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reason would be nice to know, especially when you gain rank X with somewhat ease and maintain it for 1+ weeks before game nukes you to Y. There is zero feedback on why maintaining level of play suddenly means you are e.g. rank 40 material instead of rank 58 that you were for weeks.

Issue of its own with OW Ranked imo.

"Want to climb and/or maintain rank? DO NOT play support and if you have to tank ONLY play Zarya!"

That makes whole ranked system feel flawed because system punishes you if you like to play "sub-optimal" roles when it comes to climb and maintaining. I love playing Mercy, I find Zarya to be okay fun and DPS in general I find very boring in OW. In order to climb I guess I need to go full time Zarya/Cree/Reaper.

Also nice jab at me there with that "And if you legitimately, 100% believe that you are the best player in the game...." line even when you know I never claimed such thing or think such thing about myself.
That honestly wasn't a jab.

If you are a high 2000 player and are now in the low 2000 then it's a reasonable assumption that you are the best in whatever game you play.

My two healers are Zen and Ana. So I guess I can't really speak about the Mercy/Lucio elo hell. I'm inclined to think that your team having the better healer would result in wins more often but I won't pretend that I've experienced it myself.

I don't think you need one of three characters. Anyone who can take care of themselves should be fine. Roadhog was great for me in S1.

LiK

Can we change the angle of the spectator mode? For some reason, this new over the shoulder angle is a bit dizzying.

Chorazin

I'm on mobile for a bit but I'd be happy to give some tips when I get back to a computer. Maybe someone else will in the meantime.

Quickly though: having lots of medals playing a DPS character who also heals means very little regarding your performance compared to your teammates.

Sure, I'd love some. 😊

I wish there was a Quick Play that had the one hero per team rule so I could do that instead of ranked! The number always dropping just demoralizes me, never cared in QP. 😅

Clydefrog

I consistently get the little lightning bolt icon and sometimes the other three bars one, which supposedly indicates connection issues. However, my ping appears to always be great. I have a wired connection on fast internet and a great computer. I can't help but think something is wrong and I'd be a much better player if I could get those icons to go away, lol.

Losing streaks are a thing, apparently. As in, they affect your SR.

Continuing the 3 game losing streak from the 6 stack the other day, I dropped a combined 102 SR over 2 fucking games today, for a total of over 200.

Got golds in both. Individual play means less this season than I thought it did.

The good news is that I'm at a season low of 2803. So, picking me for your group skews the shit out of your group rating.

Losing streaks are a thing, apparently. As in, they affect your SR.

Continuing the 3 game losing streak from the 6 stack the other day, I dropped a combined 102 SR over 2 fucking games today, for a total of over 200.

Got golds in both. Individual play means less this season than I thought it did.

The good news is that I'm at a season low of 2803. So, picking me for your group skews the shit out of your group rating.
Let's get a group going. I'll be on in the next hour or so.

So the ARG countdown supposedly ends October 17th.
Halloween event ends November 1.
Blizzcon is Nov 4-5.
Competitive season 2 ends Nov 17th.

So my guess is - Sombra is announced and goes on to PTR when the countdown ends. She'll probably go live before the Halloween event ends, depending on balance fixes.

Blizzcon they announce a new map/mode/more skins plus a new major balance patch (fixing Symmetra, etc.) and probably a new short. All the patch stuff goes on PTR around Blizzcon, but doesn't go live until after season 2 ends - new map and skins will be added then too.

In December they announce season 3's start date plus any changes to the comp format, a Christmas event, and probably start an ARG for the next character, which probably won't come until January.

That sound about right for Overwatch through the end of the year?

For Sombra, that's what I'd like to happen since it's sooner that we'd get to play her, but I'm worried that won't be the case. If she was released to PTR next week, PC people would then have to choose between keeping their Halloween lootboxes and testing Sombra, which doesn't sound too fair. And if she drops to live right at the end of the event, that's only around three weeks of season two left, which might be a frustrating three weeks if people can't react to her introduction into competitive properly.

So, instead, I'm thinking we might get something else at the end of the countdown. Maybe she'll release information on a bunch of the other characters (old and new?) like she did with Ana. Then, maybe along with a new map and patches like you said, a reveal/PTR release at Blizzcon, live when season two ends.

I feel the same about your December stuff, though. Hopefully they'll actually announce the Christmas event this time, instead of letting us all guess at the exact date again? (not to sound ungrateful, but it was kind of annoying with all of the hints and leaks)

Had a competitive match with a Torb and then Symmetra on my team on KotH....AND IT WORKED.
Guess I got lucky with the opposing team more than anything else, that and I was following them around as Winston so I could at least help them set up.

This game is slowly clawing me back up to my season high, I'm afraid this will reawaken the salt monster that had (mostly) settled down as I reach the brink of Diamond once more.
A good day for my tanks, I'm slowly getting to really enjoy Rein, it started as a role I took out of necessity and now it's reawakened my love for melee.

Tovarisc

That honestly wasn't a jab.

If you are a high 2000 player and are now in the low 2000 then it's a reasonable assumption that you are the best in whatever game you play.

My two healers are Zen and Ana. So I guess I can't really speak about the Mercy/Lucio elo hell. I'm inclined to think that your team having the better healer would result in wins more often but I won't pretend that I've experienced it myself.

I don't think you need one of three characters. Anyone who can take care of themselves should be fine. Roadhog was great for me in S1.

High 2000? I wish. I was very happy that I maintained 2500-ish for 1+ weeks without any struggle. Dropping from that fast and hard was very demoralizing because I don't feel my personal skill as Mercy / Zarya player tanked that dramatically over one night. SR got nuked over one play session.

Mercy is a lot more at mercy of her team than any other healer in roster. You can do some serious damage with sidearm yes, but if you don't get help or line of sight for GA you are dead against competent DPS player. As Zen I can 1on1 even Reaper more comfortably and more likely to get out alive than as Mercy. When team positioning is decent to good and people don't keep breaking LOS to me it's a lots of fun to use GA during team fights. Zipping around to keep people going while giving headaches to those pesky flankers who try kill me.

When people keep breaking LOS, running away instead towards etc. it can be very painful to be Mercy. Makes you feel useless because you can't get to people :/

Satch

Banned
every time i leave this game for a while and come back i am quickly reminded of why i stopped playing

i played 6 games today and four of them had a guy leave on my team in competitve
the people that play this game are nuts
dizzy.gif

i played dota 2 for like 3 years and saw a lot of shit but overwatch takes the cake

xaosslug

So the ARG countdown supposedly ends October 17th.
Halloween event ends November 1.
Blizzcon is Nov 4-5.
Competitive season 2 ends Nov 17th.

So my guess is - Sombra is announced and goes on to PTR when the countdown ends. She'll probably go live before the Halloween event ends, depending on balance fixes.

Blizzcon they announce a new map/mode/more skins plus a new major balance patch (fixing Symmetra, etc.) and probably a new short. All the patch stuff goes on PTR around Blizzcon, but doesn't go live until after season 2 ends - new map and skins will be added then too.

In December they announce season 3's start date plus any changes to the comp format, a Christmas event, and probably start an ARG for the next character, which probably won't come until January.

That sound about right for Overwatch through the end of the year?

they said they we looking at shortening the time between seasons because peeps thought the 2-3 week stretch was too long, so S3 will probably start Dec 6th or some time before then.

Skii

I ulted 3 times today by misclicking lol. It's just so easy to press the wrong key whilst in a tense battle. Well for me at least.

Sure, I'd love some. 😊

I wish there was a Quick Play that had the one hero per team rule so I could do that instead of ranked! The number always dropping just demoralizes me, never cared in QP. 😅

So just some overall tips: You are level 33, have hardly played the game at all at this point. The best thing you can do is just play more so that the nuances of the game become more clear to you. I wouldn't worry about rank this season, just try to play your situation a lot. Be a healer if you need too, switch to counters if you need too, play all of the classes until you find a few heroes that really click with you. Then in season 3 you can actually start caring. Assume your teammates are the same way, and don't blame them anymore, seriously, at that rank it's asinine.

Specifically to you:
It looks like you pretty much insta lock Soldier for most of your games. If you play a dps character then you MUST understand that gold eliminations and damage are now the expectation, it does not mean that you are outplaying everyone. You will likely have a medal in healing too, because whatever biotic field gives you will be more than the zero healing that most of your team has. It literally means nothing to how well you are playing.

Again, just try some different characters. You seem like a good Dva but haven't played her at all in comp. I would try to find 3 or 4 brand new characters and get good with them (preferably one from each class, defense is meh, but Mei is a great hero to know.) Don't worry about performance or wins, just focus on getting better.

LiK

Ok, I'm ready to get back into Comp cuz this new aiming is FANTASTIC! So much better. It's laggy today so I'll do Comp tomorrow or Friday

XaosWolf

Finally got the No Damage achievement. =D

A couple close shaves and more deaths due to turning my back on Hog to shoot Zomnics at the door... but damn was that satisfying!

On to Hard Mode! =)

LiK

Hey Vault, I'm ready to destroy in Comp again. The new aiming is actually making it pretty easy to kill dudes. Was destroying everyone as Junk and Soldier in QP. Whee ^_^

Ramirez

Is my controller messed up or does the ghost button happen on the sticks too? My camera randomly drags to the left on spawn and will do it randomly once it starts, makes it feel like I'm on a swinging bridge or something and makes me kinda sick. :/ Brand new controller, so I'm assuming it's the game.

Is my controller messed up or does the ghost button happen on the sticks too? My camera randomly drags to the left on spawn and will do it randomly once it starts, makes it feel like I'm on a swinging bridge or something and makes me kinda sick. :/ Brand new controller, so I'm assuming it's the game.

Since this update I've had ghost button once on ps4. However, I seem to be getting weird controller input lag the last 2 matches I played tho.

Like I push right on right stick, nothing happens...then a second or 2 later, I spin in a circle for a good 2 seconds.

It's extremely annoying and is unplayable. Gonna reset the controller and see if that helps. Don't really know what the problem is as this is the first time it's ever happened.

Random hot take of the hour:

Pharah sucks.

Not in any objective measure, when used effectively, but as in being unfun to play and flaccid and weak feeling.

Mobility is less than real rocket jumping, flying is a liability that makes you a target for McCree or a sniper, slow rockets with bad explosion radius, bad explosion damage, and direct hits don't evn feel good at all because instead of a hype gibbing you get "great now do it again or two more times to actually get a kill". And of course people know the ult is lol.

LiK

Random hot take of the hour:

Pharah sucks.

Not in any objective measure, when used effectively, but as in being unfun to play and flaccid and weak feeling.

Mobility is less than real rocket jumping, flying is a liability that makes you a target for McCree or a sniper, slow rockets with bad explosion radius, bad explosion damage, and direct hits don't evn feel good at all because instead of a hype gibbing you get "great now do it again or two more times to actually get a kill". And of course people know the ult is lol.

Lol, with the new console aiming, it's even easier to take down Pharah as Soldier. Hell, I had no trouble taking out Tracers. Game changing! I might try to play McCree more seriously now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom