• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azoor

D.va is the closist thing to a hybrid hero we have right now. She can be a very effective DPS and a very effective tank, but she can't do either roles for the entire match. She must alternate between these roles whenever possible.

She is an off tank designed to gank and harass players from the other team.

Nimby

Banned
One thing Defense Matrix is REALLY GOOD at is blocking ults. Not just your average Graviton Surge, but a nano-boosted Reaper ult.

Owzers

I bought 24 boxes, got a double Halloween reaper box, two standard legendaries, and only two Halloween epics skins. I am declaring partial victory but that's pretty iffy for 24.

Blues1990

Especially Phara's ult. I've protected my team from her missiles a lot of times.

A lot of people seem to forget this, especially with most D.Va players that I play with. Her Defense Matrix is brilliant to neutralize Pharah's missile barrage.

D.va is the closist thing to a hybrid hero we have right now. She can be a very effective DPS and a very effective tank, but she can't do either roles for the entire match. She must alternate between these roles whenever possible.

She is an off tank designed to gank and harass players from the other team.

As I've said before, she's pretty unique in that regard, but blows with not only effectively killing players, but to even harass them. Tracer does that a lot better, and the only thing she has is time and dual pistols.

Jellie

One win away from diamond now.
zcXuYhS.png
Expecting a massive losing streak now :(
Also might have faced dunkey in comp. Guy named cornman who used roadhog so might be him or just a fan maybe.

LiK

As I've said before, she's pretty unique in that regard, but blows with not only effectively killing players, but to even harass them. Tracer does that a lot better, and the only thing she has is time and dual pistols.

You can still have both in a team. Vault and I were an unstoppable D.va x Tracer wombo combo in Comp.

And McCree's Ult
Soldiers Ult
Tracer Grenade
Mei ult
Zarya Ult
Bastion Ult
I think even the Hanzo ult can be stopped if you are close enough

In fact she's the only person that can stop a Mei/Zarya ult - well, Genji can reflect Mei's if he's on the ball.

It's why I'm very careful with my ults when a D.Va is on the other team - I try and wait until she's out of her mech or bait a good chunk of the Defense Matrix first before popping.

Azoor

A lot of people seem to forget this, especially with most D.Va players that I play with. Her Defense Matrix is brilliant to neutralize Pharah's missile barrage.

She doesn't blow actually, but I think she can be a very effective killer if they knew how to use her. Not a lot of players know that you're supposed to use her at close range.

Shouta

In fact she's the only person that can stop a Mei/Zarya ult - well, Genji can reflect Mei's if he's on the ball.

It's why I'm very careful with my ults when a D.Va is on the other team - I try and wait until she's out of her mech or bait a good chunk of the Defense Matrix first before popping.

Genji can reflect Graviton Surge too.

darklin0

Banned

He can deflect Zarya, Mei and Hanzo ults. It is pretty strong but you have to be in the right spot when they launch them.

Yep, I always try to break her mech first. I try to remind the attackers on my team to break the mech first just to hear them complain over mic that the D.Va ate their ult. The, "I told you so" moment right after is the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes.

LiK

One thing a D.va should never do is try to take my Junk on in 1v1. You will lose!
Unless you're really good.
:p

Huh. Didn't know that. I guess I was associating his inability to reflect Zarya's beam with the Graviton surge as well, but since he can reflect her alt-fire that would make sense.

It's so hard to know when Zarya pops her Ult that no Genjis would be able to deflect it.

caesar

Banned
Nah, she's great. I climbed fromn Plat to Diamond only using her.

You can climb to diamond with any character except like sym its pretty easy.

D.va is amazing when she is an off tank. Not so much a main one

I'm struggling to see when Winston or Zarya aren't better.

Nah. I can clean up with D.Va a lot of the time. Maybe at pro level she's the least viable but where I'm hanging out I can wreck with her. As stated last night, I went 40-2 on comp KOTH with her even when the enemy team had a Zarya + second tank combo. It's all about who you're comfortable playing as and team composition.

Where do you hang out? Yeah you can have some good games with her, but that doesn't mean she isn't bad. When my teammates pick Dva over zarya or winston in koth I pretty much cringe.

LiK

Oh please.

Where do you hang out? Yeah you can have some good games with her, but that doesn't mean she isn't bad. When my teammates pick Dva over zarya or winston in koth I pretty much cringe.

You must play with a lot of bad D.vas then. From my experience, Winston gets destroyed most of the time cuz everyone just focus fires on him as soon as he shows up.

But whatevs, this is like a similar argument where people kept telling me in S1 Junk was bad and I can destroy with him.

Blues1990

She doesn't blow actually, but I think she can be a very effective killer if they knew how to use her. Not a lot of players know that you're supposed to use her at close range.

I don't know. The other heroes in her class are far too consistent and have great match-ups not only against her, but a lot of the playable roster. (For example, "I'm played in basically every single competitive match, " Zarya. Because people know she does what she wants and does it well.)

Eventually, a D.Va player needs to get in there and go face to face and kill stuff, either when diving or pushing the frontline. When this moment occurs, D.Va's restrictions all pile in on one another to make her super unreliable at that moment of truth. Shotgun-based weapons reduce her effectiveness, extreme short attack range, large spread, massive crit hit-box, unable to attack while using her Defense Matrix, & her slow movement speed when firing.

At the very least, there needs to be something so her kill potential doesn't become higher, but just more reliable and less restricted.You can't have 5 individual and significant drawbacks layered on a combat ability.

I've been floating up and down in the 2200-2500 range in Gold for the last month or so.

If somebody else goes Reinhardt/Roadhog, I'll pick Zarya. But if I'm with a team where I'm the sole tank, I'll usually pick D.Va. She is mobile, can shut down ults, and has a point clearing ult that gets people to scatter and break formation.

Winston I feel like gets focus fired down too easy, especially during his ult. I love playing as Winston but you're likely going to be facing a Reaper and/or Zen and both of them quickly dismantle Winston, while D.Va can matrix and boost out of harm's way against either or both. Zarya I cannot carry as a solo tank, but I've done it multiple times as D.Va.

xaosslug

been having amazing luck w/ the enemy team self-destructing in ranked, today. LOL On King's Row the enemy team had a Mei + Zarya combo on attack (they were v. good and a huge problem for my team), and they pushed the payload a fraction from the end. We switch around to attack and the Zarya goes Pharah (so no tank at all, this round) and the Mei goes Tracer, and another enemy player picks up Mei - and isn't as good as the other one. And we win on our push.

then on Lijiang Tower the enemy team takes round 1 (they have a Mei and Zarya, it's a real hard-fought 99% to 99%, but the graviton surge won out) and on the 2nd map the Zarya switches off to Pharah, the Mercy switches to Zenny, and the Mei switches to S76... we win round 2. From then on it's a MESS as different players on the enemy team switch between Zarya and Mei each round and it just never works. I was flabbergasted. We won 3 in a row after the first loss, and nobody on my team switched composition ever (we had a Junkrat, Reaper, Lucio, D.Va, Mei, and Zenny). xD

so far I'm at 4 wins in a row. T__T

Skii

One win away from diamond now.

Expecting a massive losing streak now :(
Also might have faced dunkey in comp. Guy named cornman who used roadhog so might be him or just a fan maybe.

Good luck! Are you gonna be on around 9 again tonight? I want to try the brawl again if we can get a 4 man party together again.

It's by definition not easy... Diamond is for like the top 10% of the playerbase.

Kuro

Mei is the absolute worst idea for a hero. She wins every single 1v1 if she doesn't get sniped from range and even then she can 150 headshot you from afar.

LiK

I don't know. The other heroes in her class are far too consistent and have great match-ups not only against her, but a lot of the playable roster. (For example, "I'm played in basically every single competitive match, " Zarya. Because people know she does what she wants and does it well.)

Eventually, a D.Va player needs to get in there and go face to face and kill stuff, either when diving or pushing the frontline. When this moment occurs, D.Va's restrictions all pile in on one another to make her super unreliable at that moment of truth. Shotgun-based weapons reduce her effectiveness, extreme short attack range, large spread, massive crit hit-box, unable to attack while using her Defense Matrix, & her slow movement speed when firing.

At the very least, there needs to be something so her kill potential doesn't become higher, but just more reliable and less restricted.You can't have 5 individual and significant drawbacks layered on a combat ability.

I think she's fine where she is at right now. But hey, I wouldn't mind lazers and rocket launchers added to her arsenal.

I more often then not get gold damage and elims when I play D.Va, so either the dps guys I play with are terrible or D.Va's damage output isn't as bad as people say it is.

Jellie

Good luck! Are you gonna be on around 9 again tonight? I want to try the brawl again if we can get a 4 man party together again.

It's by definition not easy... Diamond is for like the top 10% of the playerbase.

I don't think so. I've got a 9:30-17:00 day of lectures tomorrow and takes a while to get to uni during rush hour so I'm gonna have an early night.

LiK

I more often then not get gold damage and elims when I play D.Va, so either the dps guys I play with are terrible or D.Va's damage output isn't as bad as people say it is.

If you can get consistent headshots with her guns, they tear down most heroes even at medium range. *clink clink clink*

Twookie

d.va is the best character in the game, what are you guys talking about

i ain't sayin no to d.va buff though

spamming her new voice line puts her on the top of the bm meta btw

been having amazing luck w/ the enemy team self-destructing in ranked, today. LOL On King's Row the enemy team had a Mei + Zarya combo on attack (they were v. good and a huge problem for my team), and they pushed the payload a fraction from the end. We switch around to attack and the Zarya goes Pharah (so no tank at all, this round) and the Mei goes Tracer, and another enemy player picks up Mei - and isn't as good as the other one. And we win on our push.

then on Lijiang Tower the enemy team takes round 1 (they have a Mei and Zarya, it's a real hard-fought 99% to 99%, but the graviton surge won out) and on the 2nd map the Zarya switches off to Pharah, the Mercy switches to Zenny, and the Mei switches to S76... we win round 2. From then on it's a MESS as different players on the enemy team switch between Zarya and Mei each round and it just never works. I was flabbergasted. We won 3 in a row after the first loss, and nobody on my team switched composition ever (we had a Junkrat, Reaper, Lucio, D.Va, Mei, and Zenny). xD

so far I'm at 4 wins in a row. T__T

I never understand people who switch characters after a win on KOTH. If the team comp gets you a victory, stay with it! Force the other team to change to counter you, and if they start winning, THEN you switch. If they don't change, you just keep winning!

Mei is the absolute worst idea for a hero. She wins every single 1v1 if she doesn't get sniped from range and even then she can 150 headshot you from afar.

Don't 1v1 her, then. She's not that unstoppable.

In QP last night we took on a 5 Mei stack in Hollywood and won. And I was attack Torb the whole time. And we won. Mei is not a difficult puzzle to crack.

Fancolors

Is it true this game lacks depth at the moment? Heard it on a Dota 2 stream and wondered if that is the case.
Depends on what you mean by "depth".

Overwatch has a lot less variables to track than you Dota and LoL. The only resource you have to keep track of is the ultimate charge and your character cooldowns, but requires a lot more mechanical skill because it is a FPS.

xaosslug

anyone that played D.Va well before the DM buff knows how to survive as D.Va, even in the this post-Zarya world. T__T

it's not. Peeps either just don't know how to play her or play w/ peeps that don't know how to play her. When she's broken out of her suit is when the nightmare for her opponent REALLY begins. >:-D See, a lot of peeps shrug off Hana Song, and the moment her meka's destroyed they basically give up. RIP. But for me that's when the REAL massacre begins. So many opponents are NOT expecting this tiny girl w/ so much fire power to be so aggressive. I mean there's a reason why she can get a meka calling card... LOL

i suggest peeps go into training as Hana Song until you get good at dodging and headshotting. ;P

caesar

Banned
Oh please.

You must play with a lot of bad D.vas then. From my experience, Winston gets destroyed most of the time cuz everyone just focus fires on him as soon as he shows up.

But whatevs, this is like a similar argument where people kept telling me in S1 Junk was bad and I can destroy with him.

Are you saying you can't climb to diamond with any charactet you're good at? A good winston destroys teams, isolates the backline and has one of the best ults in the game. It doesn't matter if he gets focused if he did his job right the other team will be disrupted and lose the fight.

Junkrat is only great in certain situations though. I've played on pc and console, hes much better on console than he is on pc. Hitscan heros counter him very easily.

I've been floating up and down in the 2200-2500 range in Gold for the last month or so.

If somebody else goes Reinhardt/Roadhog, I'll pick Zarya. But if I'm with a team where I'm the sole tank, I'll usually pick D.Va. She is mobile, can shut down ults, and has a point clearing ult that gets people to scatter and break formation.

Winston I feel like gets focus fired down too easy, especially during his ult. I love playing as Winston but you're likely going to be facing a Reaper and/or Zen and both of them quickly dismantle Winston, while D.Va can matrix and boost out of harm's way against either or both. Zarya I cannot carry as a solo tank, but I've done it multiple times as D.Va.

Right well I have no idea about the meta in gold. Winston beats zen 1v1 though. Reaper is good against every tank so thats a bit of a moot point. I'm not saying she isn't workable, I'm just saying she is less good than all of the other tanks.

LiK

anyone that played D.Va well before the DM buff knows how to survive as D.Va, even in the this post-Zarya world. T__T

true, i liked using her before buff. LOVE using her after the buff.

Are you saying you can't climb to diamond with any charactet you're good at? A good winston destroys teams, isolates the backline and has one of the best ults in the game. It doesn't matter if he gets focused if he did his job right the other team will be disrupted and lose the fight.

Junkrat is only great in certain situations though. I've played on pc and console, hes much better on console than he is on pc. Hitscan heros counter him very easily.

I'm dismissing the "easy" comment. You can be the best player on the team but if you end up with a bad team or play against a better team, it's not that easy as many Plat Gaffers here can attest to. And yes, I play on console. Not gonna double dip until my cosmetic unlocks carry over or it's like $20.

caesar

Banned

Overwatch has a ton of players though, many of who have never played an fps before. I think anyone with previous fps experience should be good with getting to diamond.

matmanx1

Is it true this game lacks depth at the moment? Heard it on a Dota 2 stream and wondered if that is the case.

Masterful, really. Well done.

Depends on what you mean by "depth".

Overwatch has a lot less variables to track than you Dota and LoL. The only resource you have to keep track of is the ultimate charge and your character cooldowns, but requires a lot more mechanical skill because it is a FPS.

Oh wait, that was a serious question? I totally thought it was a timely drive-by trolling.

LiK

Overwatch has a ton of players though, many of who have never played an fps before. I think anyone with previous fps experience should be good with getting to diamond.

That would be a dream but you end up with random factors like shitty randoms who don't adapt to what's going on or end up against a 6-man stack who stomps your team.

Skii

I don't think so. I've got a 9:30-17:00 day of lectures tomorrow and takes a while to get to uni during rush hour so I'm gonna have an early night.

Ah fair enough. Guess we can do it over the weekend.

But a lot of the players in platinum are still pretty decent. And this game isn't like a conventional FPS. It isn't all about accuracy but more about ult economy and team composition.

darklin0

Banned
That would be a dream but you end up with random factors like shitty randoms who don't adapt to what's going on or end up against a 6-man stack who stomps your team.

That feel when you have gold damage, gold elims, and gold healing as Ana. I have never won a game when those medals align for me, no matter how many ults I force my team to go in with.

Earlier I got my first PotG where I also got off a spray. :3 Also had an enemy Ana get PotG as well. I wasn't even mad and congratulated her.

Also, I've thought of the perfect set of Legendary skins for Christmas.
The Santa and other generic X-Mas stuff can be purple tier skins, but the Legendaries should be themed after A Christmas Carol.

Mei as the Ghost of Christmas Past - most depictions have it be female with a fur-lined white robe, and generally be gentle and caring, which fits Mei.
Winston as the Ghost of Christmas Present - most depictions have him be a jolly heavy-set man. Reinhardt would work well here too, but Winston does not have a seasonal skin yet.
Sombra as the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come - while Reaper would be the most obvious choice for that, well... Reaper-like figure, but he already got a Legendary skin for Halloween, and Sombra also would fit the role well. After all the ghost is referred to as a phantom in the novel, and she's also got the edgy skull theme going on.
And finally, the most important one: Grumpdad 76 as Ebenezer Scrooge. I don't even have to explain why.

You could even make a Brawl out of it, I'm sure, though I dunno what exactly heheh.

lol

Tracer and Reaper shit on her if they're good, and they don't use range. Same with Zarya 🤔

Mei has a pretty general hard counter, which is called "staying away". There is absolutely no reason to engage a Mei at close range for her to hit you with her spray, and her icicles are projectiles that come out with delay, so it's hard for her to line up shots if you keep moving.

Even Reinhard doesn't have to engage her at close range. Firestrike at her and then leave her to your teammates, or wait until she goes into her ice block and as soon as she breaks out, pin her.

I just played one of my best competitive matches. Our teams were evenly matches and we ended up going 7 - 7 on Gibraltar. In the last round, we were on the defense and the enemy pushed the payload up until the farthest point we got it last round. And then this happened.

And i didn't even get POTG :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My only issue with Mei is I wonder why her wall is even destroyable sometimes.

It takes Bastion fully loading on it a significant almost its entire duration to break one spot of it. And he's the highest nonstop DPS in the game.

oh and she gets her ult way too fast now with how devastating it can be

Azoor

Put in mind that D.va is more mobile than Zarya and a smaller target than Winston. Her damage output far exceeds both of them especially since D.VA doesn't rely on shields like Zarya.

She not better than them nor they're better than her, they're just different.

This morning I was on a three game losing streak and fell back down to 2100. In the fourth match my Zarya was getting owned by a Mei so out of frustration I gave her a shot. I know, I know-I was trying a new character in comp which is a no-no. Long story short though, my Mei played a huge part in walling off/sniping/freezing the other team over and over and we kept them off point A.

At the very least, she does seem pretty easy to abuse (in gold at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom