• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having a lot of ups and downs in solo queue Competitive, tonight in my first match I got put with a team of 4 who talked on team chat, so I got on mic and worked with them - and we worked so well together and won the match that they decided to add me as a friend and we played a few more matches together, going 3-1 for the night. Everybody was nice and nobody was angry, and everyone was calling out targets and congratulating everyone else. And nobody played attack Bastion! It felt really good, and I'll probably end up playing with them more on other nights which is kind of awesome.

I think Platinum is in my grasp now!

Bought two loot boxes. Got the Mercy legendary in one, and the Reaper legendary and highlight intro in the other. You could say I'm a little happy.

I bought 24 and got the same (except I got the Genji intro instead of Reaper's) so HA!

....Wait...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
85e384bfe2e44504a2511c349b937f51.png

76700a0723fe47bb337c3a359db66406.png

I deserve better than this, don't I? This means I'm doing way better than my win-rate suggests?

I dunno, man. I'm getting perma-tilted. I'm not having fun anymore.

I'm sick of losing eight games in a row and having 3-4 gold medals on every one of them. Everyone complains about their teammates, I know, but...

I try really hard, man. ;-;

This is me venting by suiciding and bringing 3 people with me.

It's hard to say without seeing any VODs of a full game.

I gotta say I find it hard to decipher overall performance on masteroverwatch compated to overbuff. The action/minute stuff doesn't make much sense to me.

What I'll say though is that to make solo Q more enjoyable, if you find someone on solo q who seem like they know what they're doing, do not hesitate to send a friend request and queue up with them.

It's hard to say without seeing any VODs of a full game.

I gotta say I find it hard to decipher overall performance on masteroverwatch compated to overbuff. The action/minute stuff doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah that's fair. I just - I don't get it. I thought Blizzard prided themselves on their 'near 50% win rate' or something. 19-41 just feels cruel, especially when I consistently do really well.

Here's my Overbuff, if it helps https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Rampage-1423

Never used the site before.

Veelk

Banned
I'd love a comp mode without rank. I really think when I hate the game the most is in competitive. Too many people are focused on SR and the constant argueing over what to play.

The games modes are good, but each of them are flawed in a different way for me.

Comp has the best game set up by FAR, but the ranking is an exercise in frustration to watch. Like, I actually don't look forward to moving too high up because the more I progress, the more intense it will be. But I don't want to level down either, that's just discouraging. So do I have a casual option? Not really.

Brawl doesn't track any stats and I think that's a great thing, but whether the game is good depends on the week. Most of the game modes are joke modes that can be fun for a few minutes, then you realize the game is just fundamentally broken. "What would the game be like if we only played tanks?!" Well, a lot less interesting because you remove all the differing characters and probably broken because the game was designed to function with those other characters, is what. I like Mobawatch the most since it comes closest to replicating Comp without ranking, and I love Junkenstein as a co-op game, but that's it and it only appeared a few times since the game launched. Junkenstein's revenge is currently awesome, but most of the time, Brawl is stupid.

Quickplay can be either casual fun or more hellish than Comp. If both teams have diverse team picks and are trying to win, it's great! But herostacking sucks and is the worst piece of the game by far, and I wish Blizzard would get it through their heads that no one likes it. Plus, team comp is always going to be a dice toss. It's not even that your teammates necessarily suck, but if one guy wants to practice his Widowmaker, well, the only place he can do without being punished for it is QP if the Brawl doesn't allow for her (it usually doesn't). So there are several players who are flat out not even interested in winning the game.

So the way I see it, Blizzard would do well to set up

1. A practice mode that basically functions like QP does now. No stats are tracked and the explicit goal of the mode is not to win, but to just play with whatever characters you want for casual fun that has no lasting consequences on your W/L ratio, so you can do literally anything you want.

2. A new QP that limits hero selection. With #1 existing, people will have the explicit purpose to win, not fuck around with characters, and we won't get hero stacks that no one likes. Simple.

3. A solo-comp mode that ensures that people can't be in groups. This way, people can play with Ranked rules without having to worry about being matched up against a team.

4. A Co-op mode like Junkenstein's Revenge that incorperates more/all characters. This is probably the biggest thing to ask for, because they'll need to develop a lot of enemy AI's that wouldn't just be completely wiped by certain ults. But I love Junkenstein's revenge so much, it'd be so much fun to have a way to Co-op this game against hords of Omnics.

Yeah that's fair. I just - I don't get it. I thought Blizzard prided themselves on their 'near 50% win rate' or something. 19-41 just feels cruel, especially when I consistently do really well.

Here's my Overbuff, if it helps https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Rampage-1423

Never used the site before.

Part of it is you play Tanks most of the time - which, while you can do really well and put in a good performance as your team's Tank, if your DPS isn't putting in enough kills you're not going to win matches. Also your main is Roadhog, who is probably the biggest ult feeder for the enemy team which means while your stats say you're good at Roadhog, you also may be feeding ults to the other team which gives them an easier team in clearing/taking points.

But as Antiwhippy said, it's hard to judge without videos of gameplay. When I posted a vid and others critiqued my play, the main thing people noted was that I was performing fine as an individual but not really working with the rest of my team. So without seeing anything I can't say how you're performing, but are you doing things like syncing your ults with the rest of your team? You can get good stats without actually pushing the objective (something I've been guilty of without realizing it).

Part of it is you play Tanks most of the time - which, while you can do really well and put in a good performance as your team's Tank, if your DPS isn't putting in enough kills you're not going to win matches. Also your main is Roadhog, who is probably the biggest ult feeder for the enemy team which means while your stats say you're good at Roadhog, you also may be feeding ults to the other team which gives them an easier team in clearing/taking points.

But as Antiwhippy said, it's hard to judge without videos of gameplay. When I posted a vid and others critiqued my play, the main thing people noted was that I was performing fine as an individual but not really working with the rest of my team. So without seeing anything I can't say how you're performing, but are you doing things like syncing your ults with the rest of your team? You can get good stats without actually pushing the objective (something I've been guilty of without realizing it).

Yeah, I might need to get away from Roadhog a bit. You're making good points. I do consciously try to stay with my team, and I don't think I've gone a game without gold or silver in Objective Time, like...ever? But they say sometimes it's best to follow your team on a bad idea so they survive than be the only guy on the point, so maybe I do that better.

I do -try- to sync ults with my team, but it's hard when no one's using mics. I'll call it out, ask them, nothing will happen, no response. Finally forced to drop the hammer/whole hog at a critical moment and they don't follow up.

I realize I'm just mad salty, so I apologize if I'm not coming off as very articulate or fair. Just frustrated. I'll record a few games next time I play, see if I can get some feedback.

Yeah, I might need to get away from Roadhog a bit. You're making good points. I do consciously try to stay with my team, and I don't think I've gone a game without gold or silver in Objective Time, like...ever? But they say sometimes it's best to follow your team on a bad idea so they survive than be the only guy on the point, so maybe I do that better.

I do -try- to sync ults with my team, but it's hard when no one's using mics. I'll call it out, ask them, nothing will happen, no response. Finally forced to drop the hammer/whole hog at a critical moment and they don't follow up.

I realize I'm just mad salty, so I apologize if I'm not coming off as very articulate or fair. Just frustrated. I'll record a few games next time I play, see if I can get some feedback.

Yeah, don't worry about it - I went 5-5 in placements this season, won the next match, then lost 2 in a row and haven't been above a 50% win average since then. Lots and lots of losing streaks, where I think I'm doing everything right but I just don't gel with my team. So I understand your frustration.

Having videos to show is a good way to get better tips, though. Sometimes you just don't notice what you need to improve, and fresh eyes can spot it.

Antiwhippy

I mean your numbers look pretty good, if anything your reinhardt seems way better than mine despite the WR, so I'll ask some generic questions about how you play. You might be doing all this right, so just take it for what it is.

Roadhog: Are you making priority picks during the initiating firefights? He's a hero all about making picks, and you need to have priority targets such as the healers and any 200HP dps. He's a flanking tank but you need to keep an eye out for any group fight that might be happening, because making that crucial pick during that group fight is more valuable than trying to catch stragglers.

Reinhardt: You seem to be pretty good at getting among it in team fights and getting the kills, but I find what makes or break good reins is their knowledge of positooning. Like you might not get everyone to follow you, but try to make sure you get a posse to the right positioning ie don't keep going through the front door of hanamura B if you keep getting wiped there and go to the top right.

What would you suggest improving when you're the best on the team for most things?

I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly don't know. I've had many games I was best on my team in objective defense, eliminations, time on objective, everything you should do to play the game and win.

Time to be a leader. If you're that good, your team is either going to rely on you or resent you, unless you get in there with your Lucio-style atta-boys. Encourage constantly, say, "We've got this.", tell them to group up when they respawn one at a time. Adapt your style to what the team needs. Focus on wins, rather than getting your stats. Wins are the ultimate measure to me, though, the experience of winning as a team, so your mileage may vary. Whichever way means you have fun, because that's the hoped-for result here- fun.

I mean your numbers look pretty good, if anything your reinhardt seems way better than mine despite the WR, so I'll ask some generic questions about how you play. You might be doing all this right, so just take it for what it is.

Roadhog: Are you making priority picks during the initiating firefights? He's a hero all about making picks, and you need to have priority targets such as the healers and any 200HP dps. He's a flanking tank but you need to keep an eye out for any group fight that might be happening, because making that crucial pick during that group fight is more valuable than trying to catch stragglers.

Reinhardt: You seem to be pretty good at getting among it in team fights and getting the kills, but I find what makes or break good reins is their knowledge of positooning. Like you might not get everyone to follow you, but try to make sure you get a posse to the right positioning ie don't keep going through the front door of hanamura B if you keep getting wiped there and go to the top right.

Roadhog: I try to go after characters I can one-shot and ones who haven't ulted in awhile, since I figure they're setting up ult combos. I generally avoid hooking Reaper and Mei unless they're -seriously- causing problems.

Reinhardt: You're completely right. The problem is I can say that ten times and they don't. I'll spam group with me, call it in mic, type it out, nothing. I wind up with two options, which I stick to depending on my choices:

1. Go solo and flank, try to distract from the side so my DPS have an opening

2. Stick with my team and try to nudge them towards the point, and dive to block shots for them.

Both aren't ideal, but I dunno what's better.

I don't want to pretend I'm blameless. I'm sure I have huge room to improve as a player. But it's just headache-inducing to play Reinhardt and see a Roadhog hook an enemy's full-health Reaper into himself, or play Roadhog and see our Reinhardt just yolo charge into the enemy instead of shielding us.

It just seems -so- basic of stuff people miss.

The biggest frustration is just the level imbalance. Enemy team will have 2-3 level 300+ people, mine will have no one over level 100. That's demoralizing, even if level doesn't mean much.

SlickVic

I'm pretty terrible at this game, so I really shouldn't be judging others, but I just find it funny when people get so focused at shooting one another that they forget the objective. I joined a game mid-match on attack to push the payload. I get to the cart and see absolutely no one on either side in the vicinity. I wind up pushing it from 66% to about 95% of the way there before the other team actually comes by to stop me. Eventually my team joins in give it the final push for the win.

Antiwhippy

Roadhog: I try to go after characters I can one-shot and ones who haven't ulted in awhile, since I figure they're setting up ult combos. I generally avoid hooking Reaper and Mei unless they're -seriously- causing problems.

Reinhardt: You're completely right. The problem is I can say that ten times and they don't. I'll spam group with me, call it in mic, type it out, nothing. I wind up with two options, which I stick to depending on my choices:

1. Go solo and flank, try to distract from the side so my DPS have an opening

2. Stick with my team and try to nudge them towards the point, and dive to block shots for them.

Both aren't ideal, but I dunno what's better.

I don't want to pretend I'm blameless. I'm sure I have huge room to improve as a player. But it's just headache-inducing to play Reinhardt and see a Roadhog hook an enemy's full-health Reaper into himself, or play Roadhog and see our Reinhardt just yolo charge into the enemy instead of shielding us.

It just seems -so- basic of stuff people miss.

The biggest frustration is just the level imbalance. Enemy team will have 2-3 level 300+ people, mine will have no one over level 100. That's demoralizing, even if level doesn't mean much.

What situation you get your hooks in though can be as equally important as who you hooked.

Also learn the distance of attacking with your right click. Don't just rely on hook to be your main damage. The right click is equally as important.

If that's your problem as rein I'd actually honestly say give DVA and zarya a try. The way they tank is more reactive to what the team is doing as opposed to reinhardt or winston where they require the team to follow their lead more.

What situation you get your hooks in though can be as equally important as who you hooked.

Also learn the distance of attacking with your right click. Don't just rely on hook to be your main damage. The right click is equally as important.

If that's your problem as rein I'd actually honestly say give DVA and zarya a try. The way they tank is more reactive to what the team is doing as opposed to reinhardt or winston where they require the team to follow their lead more.

Oh trust me, I'm all about Roadhog's meat shot. I probably get more kills with the right-click than the left. Brings me back to my old Flak Cannon days on Unreal, most of why I play 'Hog, heh.

Yeah I suppose I should, I just really hate their playstyles. Ah well, worth a shot!

PatjuhR

I really don't like where I'm now on my trophy hunt. I got a new least favorite hero.

Somehow I was very lucky to almost get defense every game I played, but all the times I left a concussion mine and steel trap at enemy spawn it didn't work out. Or they saw it, or they all went out of a random door, or I just fucking blew the whole enemy team in the air, none hitting my steel trap.

Maybe it's because I'm way to focussed on trying to catch enemies in my traps, but it isn't funny playing as Junkrat.

Greddleok

So close to getting dragon blade 4 kill. 4 bunched in a graviton surge, killed 3 but Mei outlasted my ult with her ice block.

Fuck Mei.

Antiwhippy

Oh trust me, I'm all about Roadhog's meat shot. I probably get more kills with the right-click than the left. Brings me back to my old Flak Cannon days on Unreal, most of why I play 'Hog, heh.

Yeah I suppose I should, I just really hate their playstyles. Ah well, worth a shot!

Also keep in mind positioning. One thing I noticed that improved my play the most is when I'm aware of what my positioning should be at that time and at the specific map. Can't comment too much on that when it comes to roadhog unfortunately, but if you look at high level roadhog play take note of what positions they take and ask yourself why they take that position.

Honestly, positioning is one of the biggest differentiators when it comes to high level play.

I watched the Recall short again to look at the random possible heroes shown around the end of it and maaaaan. I really want that black haired Nightwing-esque guy with the blue visor.

1881429_0.png

The thirst is real for new characters :(

MGrant

Real or photoshop?
Its pretty awesome whichever it is.

Hahaha nice. Seriously though, so tired of seeing two of Genji/Reaper/Pharah or Defense Heroes on Attack as our DPS. That's a lot of burst damage, but not enough sustained damage. In my opinion you NEED a McCree, Tracer, or Soldier to be one of your DPS on Attack, or there's simply not enough damage coming out over a long enough period of time.

joanot

85e384bfe2e44504a2511c349b937f51.png

76700a0723fe47bb337c3a359db66406.png

I deserve better than this, don't I? This means I'm doing way better than my win-rate suggests?

I dunno, man. I'm getting perma-tilted. I'm not having fun anymore.

I'm sick of losing eight games in a row and having 3-4 gold medals on every one of them. Everyone complains about their teammates, I know, but...

I try really hard, man. ;-;

This is me venting by suiciding and bringing 3 people with me.

This happens man, yesterday I had my worst session on comp, lost 7 games in a row, on 3 of them got some quitters before the end of the first round and on the rest we lost because of the hero selection of some teammates, like picking up anna or sym on KOTH or no Reinhardt or Lucio on Dorado...

Is frustrating, worst part is that it drags you down to a pool with even worse players...

Blues1990

I still want Soldier: 76's Immortal skin, but I'm happy with what I've obtained (so far) during the event. Junkenstein's Monster & Ana's Halloween skins are pretty ace.

PatjuhR

This happens man, yesterday I had my worst session on comp, lost 7 games in a row, on 3 of them got some quitters before the end of the first round and on the rest we lost because of the hero selection of some teammates, like picking up anna or sym on KOTH or no Reinhardt or Lucio on Dorado...

Is frustrating, worst part is that it drags you down to a pool with even worse players...

Against other even worse players ;)

NeoRaider

For some reason i love when Widowmaker says: "Heal me!"
She sounds so cold and bitchy, but she does almost all the time so... XD

Anne

Hahaha nice. Seriously though, so tired of seeing two of Genji/Reaper/Pharah or Defense Heroes on Attack as our DPS. That's a lot of burst damage, but not enough sustained damage. In my opinion you NEED a McCree, Tracer, or Soldier to be one of your DPS on Attack, or there's simply not enough damage coming out over a long enough period of time.

You can get away with things like having Reaper/Genji as DPS or just flat solo DPS depending on team comp though. Stuff like Zarya/Winston/Ana/Lucio for dive + nanoboost to back it up. Sometimes if you get people being real shitters that refuse to switch off it, even if they're shit, it's best to just build the team around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom